Page 17 of 158 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920274267117 ... LastLast

• Whip cracker

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

RegionsBeyond, great work! Awesome pictures! Thanks for the tip.
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

Regions Beyond, wow! Very cool pictures. I've never seen DL look like that before! What a great tip! Thanks!

• Avid Photographer!

Wow RegionsBeyond, I never even thought of trying something like that! I'll have to give that a shot next time I'm down there. It'll be tough for me as I'm not a morning person!

I want to thank HotSauce 1 for asking me to fill in, as it's a huge honor. The work he's been doing in this thread has been incredible. I hope he's having fun down in Disneyland right now!

Roller Coaster Photography

Those of you who've seen my January picture thread probably saw the pictures I took ON California Screamin'. I wanted to go over some tips & tricks with how to take them safely.

One of the most important things to think about when attempting something like this is how to not loose your camera. You've heard the countless stories of people who've lost hats, glasses, cameras, etc. on roller coasters. It would totally ruin your trip if you lost your point-and-shoot, but it's worse if you loose your SLR. My main DSLR + Lens is about $2,500 and I absolutely can't loose or break it. It'd take a long time to buy it again. Therefore, when I go to try something crazy, I think about all the possibilities that could happen - I could drop it, It could smash against the ride car, a beam on the ride could hit it, it could get wet (this isn't much of an issue with with 7D, but could have been a real problem with my old XT), etc.

Knowing all this, I take steps to prevent outcomes. To prevent it from falling, I twist the neck strap as tightly as I can around my arm so that if it falls out of my hand the neck strap still clings onto my arm long enough to grab the camera or strap before it falls (I have done this twice, and neither time has it even fallen out of my grip). To prevent it from smashing it into the ride car, I hold it with both hands, so that if it bumps into anything, my hands act as a cushion. To prevent it from hitting a ride support, I constantly watch for what's ahead, and lower the camera when I'm coming up on a support structure under-crossing. To prevent it from getting wet (as much as possible), if I know a wet spot is coming up, I put it in my lap, with the front of the lens in my shirt (to keep the lens spot-free to resume shooting past the wet spot.

Now that we know how to keep the camera safe, lets talk about how to prep the camera to reliably take pictures.. Because the ride is moving so fast, you need to set you camera to <M> mode, and lock in ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, focus, etc. If we don't, we risk loosing prime pictures to delays in metering, or more likely, the camera trying to focus on something going past at 30MPH. We lock the camera modes so that all the exposures will be the same, it won't mistakenly over-expose or under-expose a picture, and we lock focus so that it won't waste time trying to auto-focus.

What I did was used the camera in f/3.5, 1/2000 sec shutter speed, and ISO 800 (highest the XT could go without getting extremely noisy at 1600), and focused to infinity. We don't really care too much about the car being slightly blurred. We're more concerned with everything else being in focus. To make my Aperture, shutter speed, & ISO settings, I set my camera to Av mode (Aperture-Override) and used it to find the smallest Aperture I could get while maintaining a fast shutter speed. I would recommend doing this while in line, aiming at something outside the queue line (as it's relatively dark in there). Once I got the settings, I locked everything in.

Now that the camera is ready, we board the ride. Because I was with my family, I had my dad holding my gear bag, but I realize that's not going to be a possibility for most of you. What I do on rides is place the camera bag between my legs & wrap the shoulder strap(s) around a leg a few times to prevent it from falling out. Some considerations when taking pictures - remember what we had talked about reguarding the safety of the camera - wrap the camera strap around your arm, and hold it with both hands at all times. One thing you'll notice is the car blocks a lot of your picture. We're not going to be actually looking or framing pictures for this. The way to get this to work well is to have plenty of room on the memory card. All you do is hold it up, remember which way is up (so you can try and keep the camera somewhat level) and start hitting the trigger as fast as your camera lets you.

Once you're processing, then you go through and delete the ones that didn't turn out well. All in all, of the 50 pictures I took during the course of the ride, only 10 made the cut. the others were just not of anything interesting, or misaligned. The faster you take pictures, the more likely you are to capture more interesting things.

I hope you've enjoyed today's Photo of the Day. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have! A Big thanks to HotSauce1 for asking me to fill in today!

• No really, I need AAMS :)

I more than likely won't be taking pictures on rollercoasters anytime soon due to the fact I am using my dad's camera and if I broke it there would be no Disneyland for a long long time, but by any chance do you know how to get good pictures in Aladdin A Musical Spectacular, I just can't figure out how to do Get my pictures to be crisp enough... Oh btw the roller coaster pictures are amazing!!!!!
    Hey look, I have a flickr!!!
    I just started so all constructive criticism is appreciated
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canhasal/

Aladdin A Musical Spectacular
    show count: 133 times

• waitin' to board

..a bit late, but the walkway pics were great....

• Minion

Regions Beyond and Mistr Webmaster....

AWESOME Job!!!

Both posts are absolutely wonderful and beautiful pictures. I can't thank you enough for filling in for me.

I'm back, sore as can be from doing nothing but taking pictures for 15 hours. I feel like I ran a marathon in 98 degree weather. I got some great shots and can't wait to share them with everyone.

See you all with a new post tomorrow.

Mike
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Avid Photographer!

Quote Originally Posted by canhasal View Post
    I more than likely won't be taking pictures on rollercoasters anytime soon due to the fact I am using my dad's camera and if I broke it there would be no Disneyland for a long long time, but by any chance do you know how to get good pictures in Aladdin A Musical Spectacular, I just can't figure out how to do Get my pictures to be crisp enough... Oh btw the roller coaster pictures are amazing!!!!!
    70mm-300mm zoom lens & shoot with the aperture wide open to allow as much light as possible into the lens, and as high of an ISO as you are comftorable with.

If you click through to my january pics, I have some pictures from Aladdin, and if you click on them, you can get to the Flickr page. Click on the camera model on the top right & it should give you the exif data. That'll tell you aperture, shutter speed, and iso.

• Whip cracker

MistrWebMastr, great photos on the rollercoaster! I'd be nervous if I did that, but I'd like to try it! Thanks for the tips!
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• No really, I need AAMS :)

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    70mm-300mm zoom lens & shoot with the aperture wide open to allow as much light as possible into the lens, and as high of an ISO as you are comftorable with.

If you click through to my january pics, I have some pictures from Aladdin, and if you click on them, you can get to the Flickr page. Click on the camera model on the top right & it should give you the exif data. That'll tell you aperture, shutter speed, and iso.
    sweet i'll be sure to remember this for my trip next thur. I just started to get into photography about a month ago, and despite my dad's attempts to teach me about different camera settings and aperture and ISO, I have a serious problem retaining any info given to me... but there is hope for me becuase I have finally figured out what ISO is, and this thread has helped me quite a bit too, Thank you Hot Sauce 1, and MistrWebmastr, and Regions Beyond!!!!*whew* did I mention everyone?jk
    Hey look, I have a flickr!!!
    I just started so all constructive criticism is appreciated
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canhasal/

Aladdin A Musical Spectacular
    show count: 133 times

Nice work MistrWebmastr and Regions Beyond!!! This is an awesome and ambitious thread. I commend Hot Sauce 1 for keeping it going. A lesson a day is a lot of work. Heck, I cannot even check these boards once a day. Thank you all and keep up the informative work.
    - Bobd

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

anxious waiting for the tip of the day
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Minion

8-25-10
    Before I begin today’s post, I would like to thank Regions Beyond and Mistr Webmastr for filling in for me while I was at Disneyland taking over 900 pictures in 15 hours. How about a big round of cyber applause for both of them…

I got some wonderful shots while I was there that I’m really looking forward to sharing with you in the weeks to come.

Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” actually has nothing to do with photographic technique or post processing but it's about some of the valuable services offered at Photo Supply Shop on Main St..

When I was at Disneyland on Monday I spent some time in the Photo Supply Shop discovering some wonderful information about all the services and merchandise they offer, some of them are even free.

Here is a list of the items they sell in the shop.
    -Disposable Cameras
    -Batteries of assorted sizes including rechargeable AA’s (which they can
    charge for you) and some Lithium Batteries
    -Kodak Advantix 35mm film
    -Memory Cards (2 Gig only at the moment) & Flash Drives
    -Video Camera Tape & DVD’s
    -Assorted Photo Frames and Albums
    -A small selection of camera straps and cases for Point & Shoot Cameras
    -And Lens clothes

Here are some pictures of the different batteries and Video tapes they offer.

They even sell 4 types of Kodak Digital Cameras ranging in price from $109.00 to a little over $200.00. (although one of them looks like a JVC)

If you fill up your memory card and don’t feel like paying a premium price for a 2 gig one, they can also burn all the images on your memory card to a CD for $13.00 - $15.00 depending upon the size of the files.

Here are the Free Services they offer;
    They can charge your rechargeable AA batteries and some digital camera batteries, mostly older models. If you bring your battery charger, they will charge your batteries for you. It takes about an hour to re-charge.

They were “VERY CLEAR” in that they DO NOT and WILL NOT charge cell phone batteries, so don’t even ask.

If you happen to lose your lens cap while in the park, behind the register they have a box filled with all the lens caps they find in the park and if one fits your camera, you can have it for free.

I hope this information helps save or create some magical memories for you.

And… just because this is a Photography Thread, here is a picture of the window display at the photo shop.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

P.S. I apologize for my tardiness in posting this column today. I’ve had a bad case of food poisoning (NOT FROM DISNEYLAND or my wife's cooking) and have spent the better part of the day camped out on my bathroom floor.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

MistrWebmaster those roller coaster pics are fabulous! I could never do that! I don't think I can handle a camera and a roller
    coaster at the same time!

They are really great shots! Thanks for the tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    8-25-10
    Before I begin today’s post, I would like to thank Regions Beyond and Mistr Webmastr for filling in for me while I was at Disneyland taking over 900 pictures in 15 hours. How about a big round of cyber applause for both of them…

They did and awesome job! Thank you, both!

Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” actually has nothing to do with photographic technique or post processing but it's about some of the valuable services offered at Photo Supply Shop on Main St..
    Good information to know... especially about them being able to burn a CD for you and recharging batteries!

P.S. I apologize for my tardiness in posting this column today. I’ve had a bad case of food poisoning (NOT FROM DISNEYLAND or my wife's cooking) and have spent the better part of the day camped out on my bathroom floor.
    Hope you feel better soon!!!!!

• Some imagination, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post

If you happen to lose your lens cap while in the park, behind the register they have a box filled with all the lens caps they find in the park and if one fits your camera, you can have it for free.
    Are you serious?! I really wish I knew this tip two years ago when I lost my lens cap at BTMRR and had to buy a replacement for about $12!!!

This is great stuff, I love these kinds of tips. Thanks Hot Sauce!