Page 18 of 158 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021284368118 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Are you serious?! I really wish I knew this tip two years ago when I lost my lens cap at BTMRR and had to buy a replacement for about $12!!!

This is great stuff, I love these kinds of tips. Thanks Hot Sauce!
    The one you lost is probably in the box.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

8-26-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” will discuss and explain a word you hear a lot in this column, APERTURE.

In simple terms, Aperture is the size of the lens opening that light passes through. The Aperture size is adjusted by opening or closing the diaphragm. Aperture is expressed in “F” Numbers such as F/1.8, F/5.6, F/11 and so on. For me, the hardest thing to wrap my head around and get through my thick skull in learning about Aperture was that The Smaller the Number, the Larger the Aperture. A larger aperture allows more light to pass through the lens and onto the sensor. A smaller aperture allows less light through the lens.

The size of the aperture has many different effects on your photos and on how the camera compensates for it. For example, if you have a large aperture, the shutter speed can be faster because more light is passing through the lens. This comes in very handy when trying to photograph dark rides because you need as much light as possible as well as the fastest shutter speed possible. Otherwise you end up with dark and blurry photos. (And we all have them)

The size of the aperture also has an effect on the depth of field in your pictures. This means that a large aperture of say a F/1.8 will only have the closest object to the lens in focus and the parts farther away will be a blur. This is also a big factor in what is called “Bokeh” which we will discuss in a separate post.

I took a couple series of pictures where I set the camera Aperture Priority, allowing me to control the size of the aperture. I set the ISO to automatic and the shutter speed to automatic, which allows the camera to adjust those according to the aperture and try and make a properly balanced photograph. These pictures will show exactly what happens as aperture changes.

In these pictures of the Chip & Dale sculptures in the hub, it was a bright sunny day, so light was not a problem. You will see that as the aperture got smaller, allowing less light, the shutter speed got slower and/or the ISO had to increase to maintain a decent photo.

Aperture; F/5 ISO; 100 Shutter Speed; 1/250

Aperture; F/7.1 ISO; 100 Shutter Speed; 1/125

Aperture; F/16 ISO; 200 Shutter Speed; 1/60

Aperture; F/29 ISO; 640 Shutter Speed; 1/60

In these pictures taken in one of the shops on Main St. the light was much more subdued so you will really see a difference in the ISO increasing and the shutter speed decreasing. It decreased so much that the ones taken at the smallest aperture/slowest shutter speed were pretty blurry. For these pictures I used a fixed 50mm lens that has a maximum aperture of F/1.8. These pictures will show you pretty clearly how the depth of field is affected by aperture. Look at the background and notice how it goes from just a complete blur to being more in focus as the aperture gets smaller.

Aperture; F/1.8 ISO; 320 Shutter Speed; 1/60

Aperture; F/2.8 ISO; 800 Shutter Speed; 1/60

Aperture; F/5 ISO; 1600 Shutter Speed; 1/40

Aperture; F/8 ISO; 1600 Shutter Speed; 1/15

Aperture; F/16 ISO; 1600 Shutter Speed; 1/3

Aperture; F/22 ISO; 1600 Shutter Speed; 1/2

In these pictures of flowers, taken with the same 50mm lens, the shutter speed shows a very dramatic difference by a slight change in aperture. It still isn’t enough of a speed drop to affect the picture but I was stunned at the difference. You can also see in the first picture how the flowers are blurred as they get farther away from the camera.

Aperture; F/2 ISO; 100 Shutter Speed; 1/4000

Aperture; F/6.3 ISO; 100 Shutter Speed; 1/640

I know today's post seems like it only applies to DSLR cameras, but I recently discovered something very interesting about Point & Shoot Cameras, at least the Canon IS800 that I own. When the camera is as wide open as the lens can go, (not zoomed at all) the camera set the aperture to F/2.8, which allows a pretty fast shutter speed in low light conditions. As soon as you zoom in on something, even the slightest bit, the camera changes the aperture to F/5.6, which slows the shutter speed making low light pictures blurry. This has a huge effect on night shots or photographing Dark Rides, which will also be the subject of another post.

I hope this little discussion about aperture is somewhat enlightening and helps explain how cameras work, thus allowing you more control of your picture taking and the results.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

Hot Sauce class is great.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I would like to add to the aperture tip that each lens has a sweet spot in terms of sharpness. Every lens is different but, MOST of them hover around F8. So your subject will get sharper from F1.2-F8 and then degrade from then on.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

WOW! That makes so much sense! Thank you for showing it in such a "plain speak" way.

I'm a Photoshop geek and I always have to take my average pictures and do something with them after the picture is taken. But what a cool way to take the pictures in the first place!

I think my point and shoot camera has, in it's menu, aperture adjustments that I can make. But since I never knew what the "F/aperture" meant.... that would not have helped me any.

Goodie! I have a new "toy" to play with on my camera! Not to mention, now that I know what the Gaussian blur effect should be, I can do a more realistic job in recreating it in Photoshop!

Very cool! Thanks!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I would like to add to the aperture tip that each lens has a sweet spot in terms of sharpness. Every lens is different but, MOST of them hover around F8. So your subject will get sharper from F1.2-F8 and then degrade from then on.
    Thanks for adding that tip. I just haven't discovered what my sweet spots are yet. I think I need to take more pictures... Darn it!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kangel View Post
    WOW! That makes so much sense! Thank you for showing it in such a "plain speak" way.

I'm a Photoshop geek and I always have to take my average pictures and do something with them after the picture is taken. But what a cool way to take the pictures in the first place!

I think my point and shoot camera has, in it's menu, aperture adjustments that I can make. But since I never knew what the "F/aperture" meant.... that would not have helped me any.

Goodie! I have a new "toy" to play with on my camera! Not to mention, now that I know what the Gaussian blur effect should be, I can do a more realistic job in recreating it in Photoshop!

Very cool! Thanks!
    Thank you so much for the comment. It is the perfect compliment. I am by no means an expert, or really knowledgeable about photography for that matter, so I figure if I can understand it, hopefully other people can too.

You know, I'm not trying to puff you up or anything, but this would make a great book! After you had enough of these to put together about 264 pages or so of material, you should look into submitting it to a Publisher. The worse they can say is no, but if they accepted it, woo hoo!

Let's see.... needs a good title... hmmmmmmmm....

What about.....

How to Make Your Disney Pictures Pop!

or

How to Get the Most from Your Disney Pictures

or

The Best of “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day”

or

The Every Man's/Person's Guide to Disney Photography

or

?????

I really am serious that it would be a great book!

• Minion

8-27-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is one I like to call Watching People Work.

If the eyes are the window to the soul, the hands are the doorway to the person.

As the naturally inquisitive people that we are, we cannot help but be fascinated by watching people work. When we meet somebody new, inevitably one of the first questions we ask is “What do you do?”

By watching people work, especially their hands, we can see, even for the briefest of moments into their world and in doing so create some truly interesting photographs.

Below are some examples of people’s hands doing their jobs throughout the Disneyland resort. Even though all you see are their hands it is clear what they do.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little glimpse into the hands that make Disneyland run and that it gives you a little inspiration for some interesting photos of your own.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

Lightbulb Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

I vote that this should be a column instead of a thread. This is a great tutorial that would be enhanced and easier to search given topics if each "lesson" was capsulized into a column. Just my two cents.

BTW, I applaud your talent, knowledge and tremendous effort you take to put this together. This is one of the best threads ever!

Last edited by LoonAZ; 08-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.

• We Go On.

I agree. This would make an excellent column!

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

I agree! This is my favorite thread on MiceChat.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 8.11.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LoonAZ View Post
    I vote that this should be a column instead of a thread. This is a great tutorial that would be enhanced and easier to search given topics if each "lesson" was capsulized into a column. Just my two cents.

BTW, I applaud your talent, knowledge and tremendous effort you take to put this together. This is one of the best threads ever!

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    I agree. This would make an excellent column!
    Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I agree! This is my favorite thread on MiceChat.
    Thank you all for such kind words and votes of confidence. To be honest, I have no idea how blogs work, so I don't even know the difference between a column and a thread. Either way, it's all up to MiceChat as I am just a guest here like everyone else.

Thanks again,
    Mike

• Minion

8-28-10
    In today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” we will discuss something that really only applies to DSLR cameras. Today’s post is about the use of Neutral Density Filters. There are other types of filters out there such as Polarizer and Graduated Neutral Density among other more artistic ones, but those will have to wait for another day and another post.

For all intensive purposes, a Neutral Density Filter or “ND” is like putting a pair of sunglasses on your camera lens. They come in different darkness levels and can be stacked on top of each other to become even darker.

The reason you would want to use a ND filter is because it enables you to reduce and control the amount of light that enters the camera lens. This makes it possible to use smaller apertures and slower shutter speeds in bright light. This comes in handy when you are trying to photograph waterfalls during the day and you want that soft misty look on the water or clouds streaking across the sky. (Mistr Webmastr recently took some wonderful waterfall shots at Disneyland using a ND filter, so I hope he sees this and is kind enough to post them below.)

On my last visit to Disneyland I had the chance to use a ND filter for the first time. I wanted to do some more of my “Stop Motion Fusion” photos during the day but knew that I would never be able to get the slower shutter speeds necessary during bright midday sunlight without the use of a filter. By stacking a 0.6 and a 0.9 filter together I was able to take several pictures of the Astro Orbiter at midday and still get a slow enough shutter speed to blur the motion of the rockets. As discussed in the previous “Stop Motion Fusion” post a while back, I used the Auto Exposure Bracketing on the camera and took 3 photos at different exposures, the same as you would for a HDR or Exposure Fusion shot. I did this with the ride sitting still and again with it moving. This is the result of those being merged together in Photomatix. I know it’s kind of a funky photograph but I am just exploring different photographic techniques to create something different and unique.

I also did the same Still and Moving shots at night time using only a 0.6 filter. Even though it was dark, I used a filter because I wanted to get as much movement as possible without the TOMORROWLAND sign being extremely overexposed. (If you’ve ever photographed this at night, you know what I mean) By using the filter, it kept the brightness of the sign toned down and let me get lots of the lights streaking around. Then I did the same Exposure Fusion in Photomatix but I only used 5 out of the 6 images leaving out the brightest of the still shots to avoid overexposing the sign. The other advantage that the filter provided was it gave me a very dark sky on a night with a full moon, which was a nice benefit. Here are the results of that experiment.

I also took a regular photo using the filter, just to see how much streaking light I could get and still keep the sign from over exposing too badly. The sign is a bit bright, but I still like it.

ND filters are extremely useful at Disneyland, not only for waterfalls and daytime motion shots but Fireworks are a great time to use one. They allow for much slower shutter speeds, keep the sky nice and dark and protect the colors in the fireworks from being too blown out and white. I was fortunate enough to have snagged what is literally the prime spot, dead center, against the rope in front of the castle to photograph the fireworks. Unfortunately, I was so excited to have that spot that I completely forgot to put a ND filter on the lens. I did get some wonderful shots of the fireworks without one, but a few of them that could have been AMAZING are so overexposed that they are ruined. Here’s an example of my unfortunate ineptitude. "See we all do get bad shots and I'm not afraid to show them if they can teach something."

Just to prove I did get some good shots, here’s one that I am happy with.

I wanted to do a daytime Stop Motion Fusion of the Monorail over Nemo Lagoon that day but it broke down first thing in the morning and wasn’t running all day. “Next time” I also did some Stop Motion Fusions of the Teacups and Carousel but I wasn’t using a filter for those so I didn’t show them. Those shots are on my Flickr Page if anyone cares to see.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Minion

your firework pics are my favorite so far idk why but something about them makes me wanna keep looking at them