Page 2 of 158 FirstFirst 12345122752102 ... LastLast

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Another great picture. I am really enjoying this

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 8.23.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

I am loving this thread! Thank you so much for doing this; even if I know that I may not be capable of all the things you talk about... it gives me ideas on little ways I can improve my own novice photography.

• Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Thank you for all of these posts! I love photography, and reading tips on how photographers captured an image. When I finally buy a DSLR, one of the first places I'm taking it is DLR!

• Minion

I'm really glad you guys are enjoying these. Much to my surprise, I think I am actually learning more from doing it than I am passing on. Now that I am trying to think about my pictures from a "What lesson can this teach, good or bad" point of view, it is opening up my mind to things I never considered before.

I have a real beauty ready for you all tomorrow.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I am loving this thread and can't wait to see the next photo!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Blew By You

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    I really think MiceChat should create an Art>Photography forum forum where all the photographers can discuss photography techniques and such.
    I agree! That would be awesome!

Tours Departing Daily - Disneyland Resort Photography

• Minion

For today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” I thought we would dip our toes into the slightly more advanced subject of HDR Photography. The reason this type of imaging is so popular is because it can bring out much more detail in a photograph than you would get with one single exposure.

From Wikipedia: “In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allow a greater dynamic range of luminances between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than standard digital imaging techniques or photographic methods. This wider dynamic range allows HDR images to more accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes, ranging from direct sunlight to faint starlight.[1]
    The two main sources of HDR imagery are computer renderings and merging of multiple photographs, the latter of which in turn are individually referred to as low dynamic range (LDR)[2] or standard dynamic range (SDR)[3] photographs.
    Tone mapping techniques, which reduce overall contrast to facilitate display of HDR images on devices with lower dynamic range, can be applied to produce images with preserved or exaggerated local contrast for artistic effect.”

So today I give you It’s a Small World at night in HDR

Other than your camera, there are 2 essential tools required to do this. A sturdy tripod and the computer program Photomatix. If you have a remote shutter release, that helps too.

HDR can be achieved with a DSLR or a Point and Shoot camera. YES! You can do this with a point and shoot.

First, determine what you want to photograph and set up your camera on the tripod to take the picture. If you are using a DSLR, set the camera on Manual and determine what Aperture works best for that particular shot. The above photo was set at F/11. Then set the ISO to a somewhat low setting, depending upon how much light there is in your intended shot. The above ISO was 400, the lower the better.

Set the Auto Exposure Bracketing to -2, 0, +2. For the shutter speed, use your exposure meter to determine the proper exposure time and take the shot. The above photo was 2 seconds. I also highly recommend using a remote shutter release to avoid any camera shake when pressing the shutter. The camera will automatically take 3 pictures. One will be at the normal exposure, 1 will be under exposed at -2 and 1 will be over exposed at +2. Here is what those pictures look like.
    The image with a normal exposure setting of 0

Here it is with the exposure set to -2

And here it is with the exposure set to +2

If using a Point and Shoot camera, also use a tripod and turn on your 2 second timer. This will take the place of using a remote shutter release. Set the camera to Manual. Take the first picture with as low of ISO as possible and using whatever shutter time you need to get a well exposed photo. Then go into your Exposure +/- (Exp) function and increase the exposure +2 and take another picture. (DO NOT change any other settings on the camera) Then do the same thing only decreasing the exposure to -2 and take another picture. It is imperative that you do not move the camera during any of this. All 3 images must be exactly the same other than exposure or they will not line up properly and the photo will be blurry.

Next comes the computer work. Once all the images are loaded into the computer, open Photomatix and click on “Generate HDR Image” Select the 3 images and click “OK” If you are afraid that you might have moved the camera a little bit when changing settings, you can check the box marked “Align Source Images” and it will do its best to line them up for you. Click “OK

Once the HDR image is created, it will look horrible. Don’t worry. Click on the “Tone Mapping” button. Then you will see a much better image and a big scary menu on the left will all kinds of adjustment sliders. Near the bottom are also some preset options that you can choose from. For the above image, I chose “Default”. The reason I chose Default is mostly because I don’t know the program very well yet and I am still trying to figure out what all those buttons do. If none of the preset options give you the look you are after, you can also make the adjustments manually using all the different sliders.
    Click the “Process” button and you are done. Once in a while, the finished product might require a little extra photo editing, which can be done in whatever photo editing software you are using. For the above photo, I opened it up in Photoshop and increased the Midtone Contrast just a touch.

That’s it! Your first HDR photo.

On the next exciting episode of “Disneyland Photo of the Day” we will look at the same image done with a slightly different process called Exposure Fusion.

Happy Snapping!
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 08-09-2010 at 11:06 PM.

• Whip cracker

That's an awesome photo of It's a Small World! Keep up the great work!
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• Minion

For today’s “Disneyland Photo of the Day” we will use the same 3 pictures of It’s a Small World that we used for yesterdays HDR image but will do a similar computer blending process called Exposure Fusion. It is also done in Photomatix but isn’t so extreme and gives a more natural appearance to the final picture while retaining much more detail than a single exposure can produce. The steps in taking the picture are exactly the same as yesterdays HDR lesson but the computer blending technique is a little less daunting.

Here is the same shot as an HDR so you can compare them and see which style you like better.

To do this, we will open Photomatix and click on “Exposure Fusion”. Insert the 3 images and click “OK” It will then give you a single photo of the 3 exposures fused together. On the side of the screen there are several sliders for you to make final touchups to the picture. On this one I did;
    Blending Point = -1.0
    Shadows = 3.0
    Saturation = 0.5
    Midtone = -4.0

And that’s it, a photo much more accurate to what your eye saw when you took it and to what you wanted to see in your picture.

Happy Snapping!
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 08-09-2010 at 11:28 PM.

• Minion

7-21-10
    For today’s “Disneyland Photo of the Day”, I give you Sleeping Beauty Castle after closing.

I took this a few months ago on one of my late night wanderings through the park after closing. As usual, I was the last guy walking around, closely followed by a small cadre of security guards gently shooing me towards the exit. This is another example of an Exposure Fusion done in Photomatix. As you can see in the original photo below, it lacks detail and even though it is properly exposed according to the camera, it just doesn’t do anything to impress.

This one took a bit more post processing work in Photoshop though. The center part of the castle above the entrance is so brightly lit that it always washes out in pictures. I really do wish the lighting engineers at Disneyland would notice that and dim the lights on that part of the castle a bit because the extreme light makes it impossible to see the details of that part of the Castle. I know Walt would notice it and have it fixed.

First; I selected the overexposed section of the castle with the selection tool and used the Darken Highlights slider to dim it down a bit.
    Second; I used the Auto Color button which took out some of the yellowish cast to the photo that the camera picks up from the popcorn lights on Main St.
    Third; I opened it up in Photoscape and did a 15% Graduated Tint down to the top of the castle to darken the sky a tad.
    Fourth; I went back to Photoshop with it and used the selection tool again to select the upper parts of the trees on the edges of the photo and used the Lighten Shadows slider to brighten those up a tad and that was it. All totaled I put in about 20 minutes of computer work for this picture.

I tried to use the Spot Healing Brush tool in Photoshop to remove the cables running across the sky but it kept leaving a kind of smear in the sky that was worse than the cables, so I decided to leave them alone.

I would love to hear your comments, suggestions and/or criticisms on this daily column. Perhaps even what you would like to see pictures of in the future.

Happy Snapping!
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 08-09-2010 at 11:08 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I tried to use the Spot Healing Brush tool in Photoshop to remove the cables running across the sky but it kept leaving a kind of smear in the sky that was worse than the cables, so I decided to leave them alone.

I would love to hear your comments, suggestions and/or criticisms on this daily column. Perhaps even what you would like to see pictures of in the future.
    I use the rubber stamp tool in PhotoShop, with a soft-edge brush. Seems to blend in better in most applications.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I use the rubber stamp tool in PhotoShop, with a soft-edge brush. Seems to blend in better in most applications.
    Awesome! thanks for the tip. I will give that a try. I am still just a beginner in Photoshop and have no idea what half of the buttons do.

• Minion

LOL! That was me about 12 years ago, and I still haven't figured them all out!

• Minion

Here's a quicky fix I did on your photo, using the rubber stamp tool to hide the wires with the surrounding sky: