Page 20 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223304570120 ... LastLast

• Avid Photographer!

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

I could be wrong, as I despise P&S cameras, but I don't think they compress that much. Essentially they just convert the RAW to JPG, but the conversion algorithms in cameras tend to be pretty good, especially if you have a P&S from a good company (ie Canon, Nikon)

• Minion

Really like the "before" and "after" format. Helps me to see what you saw and then how you changed it.

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad the "Before and After" helps. It's what I've wanted to do more of since the beginning of this thread. What was stopping me from it on some of the posts was that I was using pictures from previous trips to Disneyland, taken long before I thought about doing this thread and had already done all my post processing on them.

My trip last week had the specific purpose of taking pictures for this thread, so I'm hoping they will be better learning tools. The Flag Retreat Ceremony is a good example of that because I intentionally left a lot of extra space in the pictures just so I could use them in the cropping lesson. I also had my wife taking pictures of me doing my thing to use as visual tools of where I was and what I was doing instead of just seeing the result. You will see that in today's upcoming post.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

8-31-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is; A Child’s Perspective.

Walt Disney once said that "Disneyland is a place for children of all ages."

For any of you that have been reading this thread for a while, you know I’m always saying that when photographing characters or performers you should get low and shoot upwards at them. By getting lower, you eliminate most of the crowds and have nicer backgrounds.

When I went to Disneyland on Monday, I finally got there early enough to photograph the Disneyland Band & Alice Show that takes place every morning in front of the train station. (believe it or not, I had never seen it before)

As usual, I was on my knees taking pictures and was surrounded by little kids that were having the time of their lives.

The expressions and absolute joy on their faces gave me an epiphany. If Disneyland is for children of all ages, it should be viewed from those perspectives as well. From a child’s perspective, everything is magic and larger than life. These photos of Alice and the Mad Hatter are taken from the point of view that a child sees from. I think you will see that it is completely different and a lot more magical than the view point of an adult.

This also got me thinking about the photos you take to keep as memories to show your children later on. If you bring your children to Disneyland and take pictures of them in an effort to preserve those memories, take pictures of their memories as well. See the park through their eyes. If your child is looking at these Disneyland pictures 10 years in the future, it won’t be their memories if the picture was taken from an adults perspective. Think about what they see, how they see it and photograph that.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

P.S. There is no post processing done to the pictures of Alice and Mad Hatter. They are right out of the camera. (I didn't have time, nor did I think they needed much of anything)

It is also a good idea to take a few shots of the kids from this perspective.
    - Bobd

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    8-31-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is; A Child’s Perspective.

Walt Disney once said that "Disneyland is a place for children of all ages."
    I really like the one of Alice and Hatter while they are both seated.

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    I could be wrong, as I despise P&S cameras, but I don't think they compress that much. Essentially they just convert the RAW to JPG, but the conversion algorithms in cameras tend to be pretty good, especially if you have a P&S from a good company (ie Canon, Nikon)
    Both my Nikon and my Cannon both did it by default. I was surprised. I"m a Photoshop geek and was surprised when I first took it off the camera and discovered that it had automatically compressed the file. (shrug)

Such a good reminder, to get the shot from a child's perspective! and you caught a couple of really great shots. The one with Alice sitting on the ground is awesome! One I've never seen before!

• Whip cracker

I like that picture of Alice sitting on the ground! Great work!
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    I have been on vacation and away from my computer, so I've only been glancing, but now that I actually read through it (great post on ND filters, BTW) I caught you were asking me for waterfall pictures.

Here's some examples of what you can accomplish with waterfalls & an ND 0.9 filter.

I want to give you an idea of how an ND Filter works. These two pictures of the Grizzley Falls were taken from essentially the same spot but during vastly different lighting conditions. The first one was taken in January when it was storming like mad, but with no ND filter, and the second one was in June, at noon which is when the sun is brightest in the sky. Notice how they look almost the same, because the ND filter dropped the light down to the overcast conditions.

omg i love these pics!!! like seriously, my all time favorite kind of picture where the water looks sooooo soft or something

8-30-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is going to focus on the first and most important part of post processing, The Crop.

The act of cropping is keeping the part of the photo that you want people to see and getting rid of the parts you don’t.

The first and most important thing about cropping is to ALWAYS use the largest file size that your camera will allow. Cropping eliminates pixels, which means your cropped picture will be smaller than the original, so depending upon how much you cut out, you may not be able to make very big enlargements. For online viewing, this isn’t much of a problem.

The next important rule of cropping is to Be Brutal! If it isn’t necessary, get rid of it!

The first step in making a good crop is making the decision about what needs to be in the photo and what is either a distraction or doesn’t add anything to the photo.

When cropping a photo make sure that what you keep captures the essence of the picture. Feel free to change the dimensions to suit the picture. Also feel free to change from Horizontal to Vertical and vice versa.

When I was at Disneyland last week, I photographed the Flag Retreat Ceremony. Those photos will provide us with perfect examples for this discussion on cropping. We’ll start with the original photo and then discuss the "why’s" and the "how much" of the crop.

My first crop was to put the drummer on the edge of the frame in order to get rid of the distraction caused by the drummer behind him and the shadows on the ground. The problem with this crop is that it cut the person on the left edge in half.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

In this shot of Ernie, who is so disciplined in precise in his movements that he is an absolute pleasure to watch, all I want to focus on is him and that stone determination in his face and salute.

I switched from Horizontal to Vertical and cropped him mid thigh, just below his left hand and kept the picture just wide enough to keep his entire right arm.

In the next shot, the officer on the right needs to stay because he is who is receiving the salute but the drum behind him is pretty distracting as is the musician behind Ernie.

I didn’t want to put both of them on the very edges of the frame so I just cropped a little bit to make them more of the focus.

In this shot of the flag almost down, the red and white stripes are very dramatic but lose some impact because of the red marquee on the Opera House in the background.

I cropped in mostly from the upper left corner, just enough to leave the flag at the edge of the frame so the stripes have a more powerful presence in the photo.

In the next shot, the three Color Guard are so intense and Ernie is especially focused that he should be the sole focus of the shot.

Again I went from Horizontal to Vertical and kept just him holding the flag.

In this one, I love Ernie’s expression and his reverence to the flag but what makes it even more powerful is the difference between his downward gaze and the two other Color Guards staring forward.

So instead of keeping just Ernie, I cropped it to leave all three, to showcase the difference between them.

I also cropped in much further, keeping just his hand and the flag for a more emotional shot, which is the one I used the other day in the Watch People Work post.

As you can see, an extreme crop like that requires a huge file, so that is why I say to use the largest size your camera will allow. You spend so much money just going to Disneyland that extra memory cards are a cheap investment in order to get great memories.

I hope this “cuts down” on any confusion about cropping and helps make your photos shine.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010
    i don't know if it's just me, but this Ernie guy looks like he takes things seriously, as well as trying to hide a gumball in his mouth

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIndy7 View Post
    I like that picture of Alice sitting on the ground! Great work!
    x2
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post

i don't know if it's just me, but this Ernie guy looks like he takes things seriously
    Security gives the flag retreat the important demeanor that the ceremony embodies. Sure anyone can take down a flag, but when you do it with precision it makes more of a ceremony rather something that gets done everyday. I appreciate the effort.

• Minion

9-1-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is DON’T BE SHY!

I don’t know if this happens to anyone else or just me, but when I am at Disneyland taking pictures, I completely lose any sense of shyness and get into whatever position it takes to get the shot I’m after.

When I started looking at the pictures my wife took of me taking pictures, I had to ask “Who is that crazy guy with the camera?” I’ve never even thought about how I must look to other people. Then when I see the pictures I get from those crazy positions, I know it was worth it.

Here are some examples of my lack of self awareness and the results.

The funny thing that is starting to happen is when I am in those strange positions and looking like a complete idiot, people keep asking me if I am a Disney Photographer. (I WISH)

So when you’re at the Land and camera in hand, let it all hang out and go for the shots you really want. Remember, one of the differences between success and failure is not being afraid to fail. DON’T BE SHY!

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

When I started looking at the pictures my wife took of me taking pictures, I had to ask “Who is that crazy guy with the camera?” I’ve never even thought about how I must look to other people.
    I often wonder the same thing when I am taking photos at the land. However, when I get home and throw up Lightroom, it makes any oddness worth it.

On a side note, do I see a modification to your slingbag? I have found my 202 to be awkward when carrying a tripod, perhaps you found a fix? I usually just use my carry case.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Raindown View Post
    I often wonder the same thing when I am taking photos at the land. However, when I get home and throw up Lightroom, it makes any oddness worth it.

On a side note, do I see a modification to your slingbag? I have found my 202 to be awkward when carrying a tripod, perhaps you found a fix? I usually just use my carry case.
    So I'm not alone in having no shame. Thank goodness.

On my slingbag, there is a loop on the side that I slide one leg of the tripod through, then I have a strap with plastic clips on it that I wrap around the top of the tripod and through the carry strap on top of the bag. It holds it in place pretty good as long as I wrap it up tight.

Awesome shot of the horse!

I wish I could get over the shyness thing.... but maybe that would all change if I bought a DSLR and looked more like a Disneyland Photographer?????

• Minion

I have to apologize to everyone because I won't be able to post a "Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day" today.

I have a wonderful one all planned out and was looking forward to posting it but our company was featured on the Travel Channel this morning without us knowing, and all heck is breaking loose here at work today.

If I am able to get one done, it will be late this evening.

Please accept my humble apologies.

Mike