Page 21 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324314671121 ... LastLast

• Yeah.....

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    [

So when you’re at the Land and camera in hand, let it all hang out and go for the shots you really want. Remember, one of the differences between success and failure is not being afraid to fail. DON’T BE SHY!
    I totally get what you mean!
    I'm quite fond of flower bed shots, and they tend to look best when taken from ground level. It feel silly to bend over every which way to get the angle just right, but its almost always worth it!
    I took this just the other day:

Thanks for the fantastic thread, btw!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Since HotSauce has had to step away for the day, I agreed to fill in for him and post a little mini-lesson/discussion topic, hope folks don't mind

One of the things that sets Disneyland apart is the fact it was designed by film-industry veterans in large part. For them, adding layers of small, accurate details to sets was second nature, and small, quirky design details that sold the reality of Disneyland as a "lived-in" environment were included at the time, and this has continued to this day. For a film, the thinking was you had to sell the environment as being home to off-screen, real people, and Disneyland was approached the same way.

In comparison, most "theme parks" look sterile: odd details are included, but stuck on building exteriors or amongst concrete slabs where they almost look worse as being on-theme to a roller coaster or flume ride.

Part of the magic of Disneyland, and a fun element to seek out and photograph, are these "non-essential" details that sell you being in a turn of the century main street, western town, or all the rest. None of these are necessary to the rides or attractions, mostly, but the park is immensely benefited by having the implied history and habitation suggested by them.

These items are found all over: ride queues, stores, restaurants, above and below guests on building fronts, even near restrooms or benches, structures that house no attraction.

So, next time you are in the park, merely take some time and look and see what the imagined "residents" of Disneyland have been up to, and what they leave behind; it is very much worth the time.

Thanks for reading and hope this has been helpful and enlightening! HotSauce1 should be back tomorrow as regularly scheduled.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

So when you’re at the Land and camera in hand, let it all hang out and go for the shots you really want. Remember, one of the differences between success and failure is not being afraid to fail. DON’T BE SHY!
    my motto for picture taking has always been "do whatever it takes to get the shot."

i almost got tackled by a football player but got an awesome picture that day. (long story short, use to take pictures for my high school's football team, and people would buy them, but it was a school thing so i got no money for it, so i got to be at the sidelines)
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Minion

Awesome post. Really well written and visualized.

Thanks so much for covering for me.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Avid Photographer!

I hadn't thought much of it, but I was walking around at Disneyland in June I wasn't paying any attention to what other people were saying about me. I was just in the zone doing my thing. Which was why some of the best pictures were from Monday. I just started walking around the park taking shots. I remember telling a number of groups to walk past me as I was taking pictures in Tarzan's Treehouse. I probably spent a half hour there just taking pictures.

• Minion

9-3-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is going to shed some light on a somewhat difficult subject called Backlighting.

There will be times when you are walking around Disneyland and see something you want to photograph but the sun will be behind it, putting the subject in a shadow. Depending upon the time of day and/or your intentions for the photo, backlighting can be either an ally or an enemy.

If you’ve ever taken a picture of someone in front of a window on bright sunny day, you know they end up as nothing more than a solid black shape. Assuming that wasn’t what you intended, your cameras light sensor got fooled by the amount of light coming directly at it. The light coming through the window made the meter in your camera recommend a shutter speed, aperture and ISO that causes the image to be underexposed.

To rectify it, you either have to increase the light entering the camera with your exposure compensation feature, use a fill flash or just change the position of the person in front of the window. Or, you can plan the picture to be a silhouette.

Silhouettes can create dramatic images because they are simple and striking at the same time. The one thing you must bear in mind is that you want the subject to form an easily recognizable shape or you end up with a confusing mess of overlapping black shapes. You should also try to get an even balance between light and dark areas so the dark parts don’t overpower the picture.

Here are some examples of good backlighting, bad backlighting and silhouetting.

Here's a very common picture and very common problem of backlighting on the Adventureland entrance sign. As you can see, the sign is pretty dark and you can't even make out the face on the mask above it.

Even if I had used a fill flash, it probabably wouldn't have helped because the sign is too far away for the flash to hit it. For the Adventureland sign, the best time to photograph it is early in the morning when the sun is facing it.

Here's another example from Adventureland and common problem of the sun behind the masks. Notice the glare and bad lighting on the mask.

I moved over a few inches and was able to get a little better picture just by a slight position change.

I took this picture with the intention of showing it as a "Bad" example of backlighting but it ended up having an interesting halo from the sun and there was enough light on the structure to show it well so I actually really like the picture.

When I was at the train station waiting to take a Tender Ride, the female castmember who was working in the station stood in front of the door, looking down Main St. and it made for a wonderful silhouette.

When I took this picture, there was a lot more of the doorway, both above and to the side. I tried to crop it down to just the edges of it but to my surprise, it made it unbalanced between light and dark, so I had to leave more of the edges than I would have expected to.

I hope this illuminates the concept of backlighting and makes you more aware of its possibilities, both good and bad.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Minion

Even if I had used a fill flash, it probabably wouldn't have helped because the sign is too far away for the flash to hit it. For the Adventureland sign, the best time to photograph it is early in the morning when the sun is facing it.

All hope is not lost; sometimes this can be corrected in PhotoShop using Shadow/Highlights correction:

Took all of about two minutes to fix.

• Avid Photographer!

9-3-10
    Here's a very common picture and very common problem of backlighting on the Adventureland entrance sign. As you can see, the sign is pretty dark and you can't even make out the face on the mask above it.

It depends... This comparison shot was taken from a considerable distance away and it still managed to wash out the lights. It's also why you don't use a flash at night at Disneyland! Keep in mind this wasn't the built-in flash.. it was the Speedlite 430EX II. It's MUCH brighter than the built-in one.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    All hope is not lost; sometimes this can be corrected in PhotoShop using Shadow/Highlights correction:

Took all of about two minutes to fix.
    Thanks!

Actually, I took that shot on purpose just to show what backlighting is, but if I were to try and repair it, I would open the RAW file and adjust the exposure, contrast and the blacks.

Most likely I would take the RAW file and change the exposure to +2, save it, open it again and change it to -2, save that and then take all 3 of the exposures and make it into an HDR. But that's really cheating.

Mike

Thanks Regionsbeyond! Great post! And I really enjoyed your photos! It is fun to notice all the cool "goodies" they have around!

I really like the cast member, back lighting, shot! Very unique.

• Minion

9-4-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is all about Time of Day.

After yesterdays post about Backlighting where I mentioned the Adventureland sign taken in the afternoon, I thought today would be a good time to discuss the Time of Day and how it can effect your picture taking at Disneyland.

As you all know, there are oodles and oodles of fabulous things to photograph at Disneyland, and getting a beautiful photo can depend greatly upon the time of day you take that picture. From the early morning sun to the Golden Hour in the afternoon, there are good times and bad times to take certain shots.

These photos taken at different times will show the variances in lighting and will serve as our examples.

This picture looking down Main St was taken at 10:09 am. As you can see, the West side of the street is in the sun, whereas the East side is completely in shadow.

Here is the same photo taken at 5:45 pm and the light is completely reversed.

You can clearly see that if you want to photograph the signs on Main St, you should do it at 2 different times of day.

Here are signs on each side of the street with the sun in a favorable position.

This picture of Sleeping Beauty Castle taken at 12:40 pm, shows that the sun is directly overhead because the shadows are going straight down.

This is a pretty good time to photograph the castle, but a bad time to take pictures of your family in front of the castle because the overhead sun makes the shadows fall under their eyes, nose and chin, which isn’t very flattering. If you do find yourself taking pictures of people when the sun is directly overhead, have them look slightly upwards and/or use a fill flash to avoid the “Death Shadows”.

Some of the simpler things can be surprisingly difficult to photograph because of the sun. This picture of the Shooting Exposition sign in Frontierland was taken at 11:07 am and is one of the very few shots of it I have where you can actually read the sign.

If you try to photograph it after 12 noon, you usually end up with a bright white board and not being able to see the letters of the sign at all. I wish I had one to show, but I've already deleted them all. (lots and lots of them)

In Adventureland, the sun is an even bigger factor for successful picture taking. The jungle canopy is so high and dense that to take good pictures on the Jungle Cruise, you only have about a 3-4 hour window with overhead sun.
    Here are some examples of good time of day versus bad time of day. You will see that the bad ones, taken at 6:00 pm are not only too dark, but blurry because of the slower shutter speed.

The hour right before sunset is an amazing time to take pictures and is referred to as the “Golden Hour” because of the beautiful golden hue to the sunlight, but that will be the subject of Monday’s post.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

I won’t be able to do a post tomorrow because of work commitments but Regions Beyond has graciously offered to fill in for me again. I am truly looking forward to seeing what he has to share with us. I will see you all on Monday with a lovely “Golden” post.

Any thoughts on High Dynamic Range options for these type of photos, like on the new iOS for iPhone/iPod touch? I know they aren't high end cameras, but one of my friends takes pretty good snaps on his iPhone 4, and currently is using a two exposure app for HDR photos.

• A Weather Eye Open

my first time on this thread, and i'm loving today's tips!

ETA: okay, i read a page back and i am SERIOUSLY loving this thread. your photos are so beautiful straight from your camera. i actually let out an audible gasp when i saw the one of the horse...
    i'm thinking it's time for me to get back into photography!
    Last edited by StrikeYerColors; 09-04-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chanfan View Post
    Any thoughts on High Dynamic Range options for these type of photos, like on the new iOS for iPhone/iPod touch? I know they aren't high end cameras, but one of my friends takes pretty good snaps on his iPhone 4, and currently is using a two exposure app for HDR photos.
    HDR is definitely an option for taking a picture that might be too dark as long as it wasn't of something that was moving or you moving like the Jungle Cruise. Blurry is blurry no matter how you process it.

Personally, I have never seen very good pictures come out of any camera phone (yet) (I also don't own a cell phone) but the best that I have seen are taken in pretty bright light so they get a faster shutter speed and avoid being blurry. I'd love to see how the iPhone does with an HDR. That sounds interesting.

From a sheer "photographic" standpoint, it is just easier and better to take the picture when the light is most optimal. Better to let the camera do the work right the first time than you do it in the computer later.