Page 23 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526334873123 ... LastLast

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

I LOVE the first photo of Grizzly Peak and sighed when I saw it!

I also wanted to say that I, too, love those Andy Castro photos, and he is just the ultimate IMO. I have had one of the Gibson Girl shots (the one of the sign on the window, but it was from inside the shop so you could see busy main street at night in the background, and the writing looks backwards) as my computer desktop for like a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangel View Post

BTW, just out of curiosity, the sunrise Golden Hour, does it do the same thing with the redder tones or are there different tones that come with the Dawn?
    It provides a golden light as well. I think it depends on how high your horizon is for your sunrise or sunset... I've always lived in areas where the sun comes up over some hills and mountains, so it provides a cooler looking light because when you first see it, it's higher up. If you lived somewhere really flat and your sunrise looked exactly like your sunset, they'd provide the same lighting effect. You'd have to visually compare the sunrise and sunset of where you'd want to shoot to get an exact idea, though just looking at the eight of the horizon will give you a hint.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Minion

9-8-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is one I like to call Shoot From the Hip.

When walking around Disneyland, things can happen very quickly and sometimes there just isn’t enough time to raise your camera and try to take a proper picture. Other times you may want to take a candid photograph of someone but if they see you try to take their picture, they will either turn away or strike a pose, both of which will ruin that unique moment. At other times, you might not be in the right position to take the picture like you normally would.

These are the times when it can be advantageous to “Shoot from the hip”. If using a Point & Shoot camera, they are easy to hide, automatically focus and can be somewhat stealthy. If using a DSLR, put it on Auto Focus and practice taking pictures incognito, trying to be very quick on the draw. Even if you just take pictures while walking around your house, it’s a valuable skill to learn and can come in very handy when needed.

Here are a few examples of each of the above situations.

One day last October, I was taking pictures of Mickey Mouse and when I turned to walk away, Minnie Mouse was right in front of me heading towards Mickey. I had already lowered my camera and had no time to raise it. My finger was still on the shutter, so I just pressed the button and here is the result.

I’ve used this picture in a previous post but I never really explained that I had to shoot it without the kids knowing I took it, so I looked away, turned the camera (still hanging at my waist) towards them and snapped this shot. Had I raised the camera, the girls would have seen me and the shot would have been ruined.

For these shots of Alice taken during the morning performance of the Disneyland Band, she was sitting down right beside me so I couldn’t get the right angle to take her picture. The only way I could take it was by setting the camera on my lap and aiming it at her.
    Here’s a photo of me taking it.

And here’s the results.

So the next time you are in Disneyland, or anywhere with your camera, practice shooting from the hip. It can come in handy when you least expect it.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    I LOVE the first photo of Grizzly Peak and sighed when I saw it!

I also wanted to say that I, too, love those Andy Castro photos, and he is just the ultimate IMO. I have had one of the Gibson Girl shots (the one of the sign on the window, but it was from inside the shop so you could see busy main street at night in the background, and the writing looks backwards) as my computer desktop for like a year.

It provides a golden light as well. I think it depends on how high your horizon is for your sunrise or sunset... I've always lived in areas where the sun comes up over some hills and mountains, so it provides a cooler looking light because when you first see it, it's higher up. If you lived somewhere really flat and your sunrise looked exactly like your sunset, they'd provide the same lighting effect. You'd have to visually compare the sunrise and sunset of where you'd want to shoot to get an exact idea, though just looking at the eight of the horizon will give you a hint.
    I'm glad Twobluestripes was able to answer the question about the sunrise colors. I am a night person and usually get to bed sometime between 3 & 4 am, so I haven't seen a sunrise in years, especially since I started taking pictures. I would love to photograph a sunrise one of these days. I just can't seem to get the right timing.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I'm glad Twobluestripes was able to answer the question about the sunrise colors. I am a night person and usually get to bed sometime between 3 & 4 am, so I haven't seen a sunrise in years, especially since I started taking pictures. I would love to photograph a sunrise one of these days. I just can't seem to get the right timing.
    That's exactly why I was curious!!!! I'm a night owl too and the only way I see a sunrise is if I stay up for it!!!!!!

And here’s the results.

© Michael Greening 2010[/QUOTE]

Nice pics! I love them so much! thanks for sharing!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for the continued tutorials, Hot Sauce. All of your shots are great, but I LOVE your golden hour shots. I'm rarely at the parks during golden hour, and whenever I do find myself over there with the sun low on the horizon, it KILLS me if I'm not out trying to capture that incredible light throughout both parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangel View Post
    I really like how well the last two pictures demonstrated the huge difference in the Golden Hour shot to a regular shot. It really brought home your point.

Toad Hall pictures are gorgeous and rich! Wow!

BTW, just out of curiosity, the sunrise Golden Hour, does it do the same thing with the redder tones or are there different tones that come with the Dawn?

Thanks again for the great Tutorials!

Good point, twobluestripes. I would also add that the "gold" of the golden hour also depends on the haze that might or might not be in the air and high clouds, etc. I've seen sunrises that are out-of-this-world STUNNING, and other mornings, with the sun in the same position, that were completely blech. I think my favorite light around SoCal happens when we get a light Santa Ana breeze and some broken high clouds. Generally, those sunrises are gorgeous, and the following golden hour is usually amazing. The only sunrise that I've shot at Disneyland was for Miley's 16th birthday party a couple of years ago when they opened the park at 6 AM. It was PAINFUL to wake up that early on a Sunday, but I was down there taking shots by 5:30 AM and ran like a complete maniac throughout the park trying to get as many shots in that golden hour as I possibly could. I don't know if they'll do that early morning thing again soon, but you can bet I'll be down there again trying to get that early morning light.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 09-09-2010 at 06:03 AM.

I love the picture of you taking a photo of Alice! At first blush it is slightly creepy, but that is what makes it so entertaining. We of course know that your intentions were pure. That photo is priceless!
    - Bobd

• Minion

9-9-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is one that I’ve been planning for quite a while and am very excited to share with you because it going to be our first discussion about Making Pictures instead of Taking Pictures.

I know that statement might not make much sense to some so I will define it by saying it is when you have a vision in your mind for a certain photograph and you create a plan to bring that vision to life. It is completely planned out in advance and then executed in such a manner that it becomes more than just a photograph.

As I try (mostly in vain) to improve and expand my skills as a photographer, I am constantly searching for ways to photograph things from a new and interesting point of view. The goal is to take a picture that is not only unique but conveys a desired emotion and/or evokes a certain emotional response from the viewer.

Since the focus of this column is Disneyland, and Walt himself once said that “It was all started by a mouse”, I decided that the Mouse would be my muse and I set out to create what I was hoping to be photographic works of art.

Using the "Partners" statue and Mickey Mouse as my inspiration, I planned out in my mind the images I wanted to create. For this project I wanted to take pictures that didn’t show any faces but still had emotional impact. Since Black & White is the perfect medium for creating dramatic photos, I actually used the Monochrome setting on my camera for the first time.

The small statues surrounding the "Partners" statue were first on my list of shots. Since I chose not to show any faces, this left only the Donald Duck and Minnie Mouse statues located behind the "Partners" statue. I climbed behind each of them and took the picture by lining them up in such a way that makes them appear to be looking at the "Partners" statue. Here is me taking the shot.

And here is the result. I like to call this one “Donald wants to be like Walt” because it looks like he is trying to imitate him. I used a medium sized aperture so Donald and the "Partners" would be in focus so you could clearly see what he was looking at. Aperture F/11, ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/100, Focal length 18mm. I also added a slight vignette in Photoscape.

This one I call “Minnie, the adoring mouse” because of the way she is looking so adoringly at Mickey as if to say “That’s my man, isn’t he wonderful...” Aperture F/8, ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/200, Focal length 20mm. This one also has a slight vignette..

For other photos, I purchased a plush Mickey doll and pretended that Mickey was looking down Main St. surveying his Magic Kingdom. To me, it gives the feeling that he is watching over his domain. (this one is also my current wallpaper) I used a somewhat large aperture for this one to keep Mickey as the focus and let Main St. look like a distant blur to make it seem larger. Aperture F/4.5, ISO 100, Shutter speed 1/200, Focal length 34mm.

I’ve also been working on a whole series of photos based on the "Partners" statue. I am using the Mickey plush and people of all sizes, shapes and ages to create some wonderful portraits. For the first one I called upon a friend of mine and wanted to use his tattoos to convey the feeling that Mickey Mouse can bring out the child in anyone regardless of how tough they might be. Aperture F/8, ISO 125, Shutter speed 1/30, Focal Length 32mm. I also put a slight vignette on it in Photoscape for the darkened corners.

When I go to Disneyland next week I’ll be shooting more in my "Partners" series, as long as I can find people to model for me. ARE ANY OF YOU PLANNING ON GOING TO THE PARK NEXT TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY??? I NEED MODELS, ESPECIALLY FAMILIES.

So if you want to create a photo that is more than just a picture and makes a statement of it’s own, think about what you want it to say, how you want it to say it, make your plan and make it happen.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• ~Livin' in a cats world~

I might be there on tuesday with my lil family. I will post if I am closer to the date. I would love for you to get our picture. Your work is amazing!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lambie*Loves*Dland View Post
    I might be there on tuesday with my lil family. I will post if I am closer to the date. I would love for you to get our picture. Your work is amazing!
    I would love to. I'm just learning to photograph people and am dying to photograph a family. My hope is to shoot some shots like the one of my friend Billy above, but a Mother & Daughter with the daughter holding a Minnie doll or a Father & Son with the son holding Mickey. I would also like to shoot a couple with the Mickey doll between them and the statue above it.

I probably won't get to the park till around noon on Tuesday. If you can make it, that would be awesome.

Mike

^Sounds amazing! It's just my daughter, my boyfriend, and I. Sometimes we have my baby nephew. He's 1. But Tuesday or Wednesday will be a perfect day. It wouldn't be till around 3-4 though. Unless my bf plays hookie from work =p

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lambie*Loves*Dland View Post
    ^Sounds amazing! It's just my daughter, my boyfriend, and I. Sometimes we have my baby nephew. He's 1. But Tuesday or Wednesday will be a perfect day. It wouldn't be till around 3-4 though. Unless my bf plays hookie from work =p
    That would be perfect! I would really enjoy the opportunity to photograph you. I hope you don't mind being posed and moved around a bit. It will probably take about 20 - 30 minutes.

If possible, Wednesday would be the best day only because I will most likely be in DCA all day on Tuesday. Although, if you can only come on Tuesday, I would gladly pop over to Disneyland to take some pictures.

Keep in touch as we get closer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    That would be perfect! I would really enjoy the opportunity to photograph you. I hope you don't mind being posed and moved around a bit. It will probably take about 20 - 30 minutes.

If possible, Wednesday would be the best day only because I will most likely be in DCA all day on Tuesday. Although, if you can only come on Tuesday, I would gladly pop over to Disneyland to take some pictures.

Keep in touch as we get closer!!!
    I don't mind at all. I would be pretty honored to be a part of your picture taking!!

I take tons of pics when we are the parks. Not just of us but also the landscaping, characters, buildings, etc. I just have a point and shoot. Nothing fancy. I would really like to get a better camera though, but that's a different discussion

I will of course keep in touch till then! =) Thank you so much!

Dude seriously do you sleep at all!

I know that putting this stuff together for the post every day takes time and then you have your business to run and you still make time to go the parks. I can't even begin to imagine how you do it all. All I do is sit at my boring desk job all day drive home and help the kids with their homework and I'm exhausted by 5:30....

You might be Superman in disguise.... or Batman he has better toys.