Page 25 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728355075125 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

9-13-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is about being in The Right Place at the Right Time.

Before my last trip to Disneyland, I was looking at pictures on Flickr and saw some pictures of Mickey Mouse along with other characters and the Disneyland Band in front of the castle. In all the times I’ve been to Disneyland, I’ve never seen this happen. I had also never seen the morning show with the band featuring Alice & Mad Hatter.

Since these were things I had never experienced and really wanted to photograph, I made it the main focus on my picture taking agenda. The first thing I did that morning was go to City Hall and ask what time those shows happen. They told me that those are considered “Magic Moments” and aren’t listed on the schedule of events. They did tell me that the Morning Show happens at either 9:00 am or 10:00 am and the Castle Show happens at 11:00 am. I knew then where I had to be and what time I had to be there.

By knowing what I wanted to photograph, where and when they were going to happen, it was just a matter of being in the Right Place at the Right Time.

I made sure to be out in front of the Mickey Floral a few minutes before 10:00 and was able to be in just the right spot to take these pictures.

After this show, I went to take my pictures of the Partners Statue (Making Pictures instead of Taking Pictures post) which put me right near the entrance of the Castle for that show. I noticed Cast Members blocking people from going through the castle, so I knew it was about time to grab my spot. A bunch of people beat me to the spot that I really wanted, but as you know, I’m always shooting from my knees so I was able to crawl between some of them and be in the prime location. This gave me the ability to capture these pictures.

Later that evening, I planned to photograph the fireworks from in front of the castle, so I went there 2 hours before the show was scheduled to begin and saw Cast Members standing around getting ready to rope it off for the show. I asked them where the rope was going to be and located myself dead center to the castle, in front of the rope. It ends up being right on top of the 40th Anniversary Time Capsule plaque.

I had to take a test shot before the show begins.

Here’s the obligatory fireworks shot.

And, the obligatory after show photo.

So the next time you go to Disneyland, know what you want to photograph and make sure you are in the right place at the right time to capture the magic.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

I LOVE the characters doing the can can!

• Disney Fan

You always take such amazing pictures!!! Thank you thank you for this thread!
    --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Hot Sauce - The other cool thing about you doing this thread is it seems to be prompting you to make more trips to the park, strictly for the purposes of taking shots.

And they are phenomenal! That last batch was a beauty! Great job with those fireworks shots, and I love the character chorus line.

I completely agree about planning ahead. This can also be applied to parades, Aladdin, and any of the other shows in the resort. If you get a chance to see something more than once, you can position yourself ahead of time to get that special shot you are after. You might have some extra wait time involved, but if you are REALLY after that shot, it's almost always worth the wait.

Keep up the great work!

great Tip of The Day!! did you use a tripod for the fireworks shots?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NetteNutt View Post
    I LOVE the characters doing the can can!
    Me too. That was what I saw a picture of on Flickr and knew I had to have one of my own. As soon as I took it, I knew it was a money shot.

Quote Originally Posted by leslie_537 View Post
    You always take such amazing pictures!!! Thank you thank you for this thread!
    Thank you! It's my pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Hot Sauce - The other cool thing about you doing this thread is it seems to be prompting you to make more trips to the park, strictly for the purposes of taking shots.

And they are phenomenal! That last batch was a beauty! Great job with those fireworks shots, and I love the character chorus line.

I completely agree about planning ahead. This can also be applied to parades, Aladdin, and any of the other shows in the resort. If you get a chance to see something more than once, you can position yourself ahead of time to get that special shot you are after. You might have some extra wait time involved, but if you are REALLY after that shot, it's almost always worth the wait.

Keep up the great work!
    That is the fortunate part of doing this column. Even my wife knows we have to go more often and is ok with it. Then again, when we go tomorrow she has an appointment at Mandara Spa, so she's happy.

Don't you hate it when you camp out for a certain shot and it just doesn't work? I did that with the fireworks from the Monorail station in Tomorrowland. Complete Failure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyMonstro View Post
    great Tip of The Day!! did you use a tripod for the fireworks shots?
    Yes, I did use a tripod for the fireworks. My tripod was right on top of the 40th time capsule plaque. To be honest, it works out better farther away from the castle because the fireworks are higher in the sky and seem bigger. From that close, the castle is so big it makes the fireworks seem small. (I just learned that the hard way)

• Minion

I almost forgot to mention that I will be at Disneyland for the next 3 days, taking oodles and oodles of pictures. Fortunately for all of us, Mistr Webmaster is filling in for me on Tuesday & Thursday and Regions Beyond is taking Wednesday's post.

I can't wait to see what they illuminate us with.

Thanks for answering my question i look forward to seeing what you come up with next !!!

I wonder if this picture was taken on the same day I was in the park

I was in line at the Tinker Belle meet and greet when I saw them headed for the castle

• Avid Photographer!

I apologize for the delay in posting today's post, but we were demolishing a building today at work & I was on hand taking pictures

Since Michael is in Disneyland today, I’m going to post today's Photo Of The Day.

We’re going to be talking about Getting HIGH.

No, I don’t mean that kind of high, but finding spots in Disneyland that let you get your camera above the 5ft that people usually take pictures, giving you some unique views of the park.

To find places, look around for platforms or people that are higher than you are, preferably above the roofs or trees, and then figure out how they got there. There’s a number of places in the park. The higher you get, the cooler the pictures are I think. As you’re working your way up, keep looking around to see if anything catches your eye. The following pictures were taken as I was walking through Tarzan’s Treehouse, and I thought that they captured the feel of Disneyland, but in a new and fun way:

Matterhorn looking over Adventureland by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Notice how the mountain looks bigger & more ominous when photographed above the treeline, as well as from a different angle from people taking pictures of it from Fantasyland, Tomorrowland or Main Street.

Adventureland Crowds by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

This one highlights how busy adventureland is because you’re above so you can see the crowds upon crowds of people, while if you were shooting standing on the ground you’d just see the first bunch of people, and not the rest.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad & Roofs of New Orleans Square by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Here you see a picture with the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in the background, while looking out over the top of New Orleans Square, and it shows just how much care Disney puts into making the buildings believable. It really looks like you’re standing on a rooftop.

American Flag flying over New Orleans Square by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

This one used the leaves in Tarzan’s Treehouse to make a beautiful natural frame on the back-lit American Flag flying over New Orleans Square. While it might not scream “Disneyland” it’s still a beautiful picture.

New Orleans Square & Rivers of America from Tarzan's Treehouse by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Here you see a neat picture of The Rivers Of America. Again, being higher up, you see the crowds better & you get a better overview. I bet if the Treehouse is open during Fantasmic! that this would be a WONDERFUL place to photograph the show! (However, I think the treehouse closes at dark)

Another place I’ve found is out on Tom Sawyer’s Island where you get great views of New Orleans Square & Waterfront. If you’re going to try and use this spot, make sure you have a big zoom lens (most of these shots were at 300mm).

Looking at New Orleans Square from the highest point on Tom Sawyer's Island by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Here you see a neat shot looking out from the highest spot I found in the play area on Tom Sawyer’s Island, with the window framing the picture. It’s a great picture which really captures the emotion of New Orleans Square!

The Sailing Ship Columbia by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Sometimes finding these spots gives you a unique view of a ride.. like the Sailing Ship Columbia looking like it’s leaving port for a trip around the world!

For this particular spot, I took a picture of where it was, so you can use it as a guide to find where to get pictures like these:

Highest point on Tom Sawyer's Island by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Another spot which is a great vantage point for the area is the wheelhouse on the Mark Twain Riverboat. It puts you considerably higher than the top deck of the Mark Twain or Sailing Ship Columbia.

Newly completed gate & wheelhouse overview on the Mark Twain Riverboat in Disneyland by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

New Orleans Square from the Wheelhouse on the Mark Twain Riverboat by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Up in the wheelhouse, you can get a lot closer to get birds-eye view shots of New Orleans Square, and depending on the position of the Mark Twain, even frame the picture with the bell & smokestack!

Frontierland From The Mark Twain Riverboat Wheelhouse by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

You can also get a little bit of Frontierland over the observation deck, but unfortionately Frontierland is too overgrown with trees to get much.

These are by no means the only places you can get high at Disneyland, but hopefully by experimenting with these spots you can find more to share!

I hope you enjoyed today's Photo of the Day, and a huge thanks to Michael for asking me to fill in!

• Minion

cool photos my favorite one was the Matterhorn it almost looks real for the landscaping

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Greetings out there, photographers of MiceChat! I am covering today for HotSauce1, who is at the park and busy photographing.

We are going to be talking about less of a camera technique today, as usual with me heh, but about a way of thinking about taking photographs. In Disneyland, things are often designed to have an optimal "wide shot" view as in films when you look at them coming head on: the castle with Partners statue in the foreground, the angled, slightly off-kilter view of the Haunted Mansion as you approach it in the queue, the way the Matterhorn looms over the smaller mountains of Storybook Land as you approach the village scene.

An interesting thing to do, sometimes, is take one of these views where you are clearly pointed at a certain vista, or walking a certain path that has defined lines, then just stop. Turn 180 degrees and look behind you. It's a fairly simple idea, and doesn't always reward in anything that interesting, but it is worth doing if you are looking for "unusual" views to photograph.

Here are some examples:

At this point in the line for Pinocchio, you are in a straight portion of the line headed for the car loading. Turn around and you get this nice view of the cars zipping forward along the ride exterior.

You've been waiting for Indiana Jones presumably for a while at this point, so going directly through the door right there seems logical. If you pause and look straight behind you though, there's this view from the top of the temple steps.

Most of us have waited her for what seems a good while, I am sure: waiting for the library doors to open at Tower of Terror. There, right behind you, is a corner of the very well-detailed and atmospheric lobby that doesn't get as much attention and offers some interesting angles and details.

This was taken while seated at the very back of a Jungle Cruise boat, headed out into the wild and leaving the dock behind.

Nothing spectacular here, but a view most don't stop to consider in walking to their next destination after exiting the perpetually dark swamp of the Pirates unload.

Hope this has inspired you somewhat to look around in all directions while in the park, and be on the hunt for new and unusual angles. Tomorrow I believe MistrWebmstr is filling in again, and HotSauce1 will be back Friday.

Cheers all, and Happy Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    09-10-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is titled Explore Hidden Trails.

If you’re willing to climb a few flights of stairs, you can get some great shots of Grizzly Peak from the Rangers tower in Redwood Creek.
    Somehow I had gotten behind by a couple of days and didn't see this post the first time. Oh my goodness!!!! These pictures are sooooooo awesome! The Mark Twain photo looks like you took it while standing in the water!!!! Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! And just shows what you're talking about... you can get really unique and great pictures by going off the beatin' path!

Thanks for all the great tutorials!!!

MistrWebmastr and RegionsBeyond thank you so much for the great tips! Both of you amazed me with your simple technique, but really cool pictures! And as silly as it seems now, I just never thought of taking pictures from a high spot or just turning around! Thanks to you both!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Excellent tip R.B.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.