Page 26 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829365176126 ... LastLast

• Avid Photographer!

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

For today’s Photo Of The Day, we’ll be discussing tips & tricks to beautiful Nighttime Pictures. This entry will be geared more toward DSLR owners, because some of what I’m talking about requires lenses with leaf apertures. For these pictures a good Tripod is recommended, but isn’t required. I’ll show you some good pictures I took in January which thows all these suggestions into the wind.

Regardlessof a DSLR or Point & Shoot though, make sure that you have a timer function or remote for your camera. Because we’re taking long exposures we need to make sure we don’t shake the camera. DSLR Users: also think about using mirror Lock-Up to prevent vibration.

Fantasmic Cleanup by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

When thinking about taking night pictures, make sure you keep your ISO low, as noise is more noticeable in nighttime pictures. Above you see a fairly long exposure of the Rivers Of America as they’re cleaning up Fantasmic!. Below, you see short exposures which are good, but not great.

Nighttime @ Fowler's Inn by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Splash Mountian At Night by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Hungry Bear Resturant after closing by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

With the above pictures, you see that I had a wide-open, or mostly wide-open lens (F/2.8-F/6) and notice how the lights are just white blobs? The wide-open lens causes this. For the best pictures, try and keep your F/Stop as small as you can (Bigger number = Smaller F/Stop. Confusing, I know but run with it.) The below picture is a prime example of why you want a small F/Stop. This was a 20-second exposure at F/32

The Haunted Mansion Closed At Night by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

The stars were because of the smaller aperture causing the light to fill the groves in the leafs of the aperture ring.

A second benefit of long-exposures is water looks crazy with extremely-long exposures. Those of you who’ve seen my daytime long exposures: Those were between 1 & 3 seconds. This is a 15-second exposure. Notice how the water almost looks like leather:

Tarzan's Treehouse River Long Exposure by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

A benefit of using smaller apertures in nighttime is the same as daytime - increased Depth of Field. Notice the difference between these two pictures (other than the framing):

2010 - Jan - 18-24 - Family Disneyland Trip-8231 by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

"Friends" After Closing by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Notice the first picture has the Castle blurred, while the second has the castle in focus? That’s due to the F/32 aperture.

With very long exposures, you can also make the park look empty when in reality it’s still bustling with people walking around. The following pictures highlight what looks like an empty park, yet the street was still fairly busy with people buying stuff.

Main Street USA After Closing by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Main Street USA After Closing by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

With the second one, there’s a slight ghosting of people. If I had exposed it longer that would go away.

Now these are just suggestions. One of the best parts of Photography is that the only rules you need to follow are the ones you want to. When I went in January, I didn’t have a tripod or anything, yet I still got some good nighttime pictures:

2010 - Jan - 18-24 - Family Disneyland Trip-9741 by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

2010 - Jan - 18-24 - Family Disneyland Trip-9772 by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

2010 - Jan - 18-24 - Family Disneyland Trip-7722 by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

2010 - Jan - 18-24 - Family Disneyland Trip-7834 by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

These picture was taken by holding my camera on a railing as still as I could. In fact, seeing a bit of the railing in Monstro’s picture helps frame it a bit.

Hopefully today’s Photo of the Day gives you some insight on how to take night pictures at Disneyland, which to me is the best time to shoot - because now Disney controls the light and not the sun.

Thanks again to Michael for asking me to fill in today. Looking forward to seeing the newest pictures from this latest trip to Disneyland!

• waitin' to board

Excellent photos..!!

• Minion

9-17-10
    First I would like to say a very sincere THANK YOU!!! to Mistr Webmastr & Regions Beyond for filling in for me again. I love it when I learn something new and they always have such great information to share.

Today’s post will be somewhat short simply because I just got back from 3 days at Disneyland and have a ton of stuff to do here at work. I took over 1600 photos and still have to download all them as well as figure out how to organize them. So.....

Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is called FILL THE FRAME.

When you want a photograph to have impact, there are several ways to achieve it, depending upon the subject matter. One of the ways to give a photo a powerful impact is to Fill the Frame.

When I was in Tarzan's Tree House the other day, I was looking at the leopard coming through the trees. Not only was I struck by the beautiful “Golden Hour” sun coming through the trees but by the leopard's vicious expression. I took these pictures from different angles specifically for this Fill the Frame post. You will see as the pictures progress, the leopard fills more and more of the frame and creates a stronger impact.

(Photographers disclaimer: I haven’t had time to do any post processing to these pictures. Normally I would open them in Photoshop Elements and clean up the little scuff marks on its face and correct any lighting issues but time doesn’t permit me to do that today. Fortunately, they aren’t too bad and still do the job for today’s post. I also shot several other examples specifically for this post but again, no time for those.)

Here is the leopard crashing into the Tarzan’s Treehouse.

Here we get a little closer, and it gets a little scarier.

Here we get real close and fill most of the frame with his face and it seems like it’s about to eat your face off.

Here are the same shots just taken from a vertical position instead of horizontal and the same effect comes across.

I hope this short post today is somewhat effective in showing you how Filling the Frame can give stronger impact to a photo and inspires you to create some pictures that jump off the screen.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 09-18-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Avid Photographer!

I'm not going to lie.. I was totally not expecting that thing to scream at me, so it scared the living daylights out of me while I was looking around up in Tarzan's Treehouse. This is the primary reason I took the picture, and it's funny how it looks VERY close to yours. Have you been copying me again?

Cheetah in Tarzan's Treehouse by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

• We Go On.

Wow. Great posts over the past couple of days! And stunning pictures as always.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    I'm not going to lie.. I was totally not expecting that thing to scream at me, so it scared the living daylights out of me while I was looking around up in Tarzan's Treehouse. This is the primary reason I took the picture, and it's funny how it looks VERY close to yours. Have you been copying me again?

Cheetah in Tarzan's Treehouse by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr
    I swear I wasn't. I had a really old picture of this that I took years ago and I knew that it would be a good example for the Fill the Frame post, so I had to go and shoot it all over again. I did get lucky with the time of day and color of light though. That was just happenstance.

• Avid Photographer!

I'm just razzing you Michael!

It's a wonderful idea. I'm thinking I'm going to have a heck of a time if you ask me to fill in again since most of my pictures are just as I'm walking around Disneyland. I guess I have just been doing this so long it's second nature. Now I have to go back and look at my pictures and actually find some ideas to pull guides out of my instinctive pictures. Back to basics!

(And it doesn't help that you go every month or so it seems, while I have a grand total of 2 Disneyland photosets :P)

• Minion

9-18-10
    For “Today’s Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” we are going to Let It All Hang Out!

There will be times when you want to take a certain picture but you just can’t get the right angle or point of view to get the shot you're after. These are the times when you have to take the risk and just Let It All Hang Out. (the camera that is)

Ever since Disneyland refurbished the Rivers of America, I’ve taken a bunch of pictures of it but haven’t been all that happy with most of them. To actually capture the images that I see in my head, I needed to get as close to the water as possible. I know Disney will never let me float around the river in an inner tube so I had to find another way of getting the shots I’m after. (I would totally go around the river in waders or an inner tube if they would let me)

First I tried the canoes, which was ok but they don’t like it when you stop paddling and it’s a lot of work.
    I took these by holding the camera over the side of the canoe, getting as close to the water as I could without actually dunking my camera.

Because I needed more freedom to move around and take pictures, I tried the Mark Twain. Since I wanted to be in the lowest part of the paddlewheeler, I positioned myself in the center on the bottom level so I could move from side to side. I took these by hanging over the railing and pointing the camera down the side of the boat.

For these pictures, I sat on the deck, put the camera between the railings and snapped away. I risked dropping the camera but got the shots I wanted. I know these might not be the most amazing pictures to some, but the angle I got for the skunk and raccoons on the log are exactly what I saw in my mind, so I am very happy with them. (check out the priceless expressions on the racoons faces)

I hope these will inspire you to throw some caution to the wind and take a risk, not only with your camera but with your picture taking and just Let It All Hang Out!

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Some imagination, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1
    First I tried the canoes, which was ok but they don’t like it when you stop paddling and it’s a lot of work.
    True that! That's the hardest ride to take pictures on, IMO, because they WILL say something if they spot you taking pictures haha. You just gotta wait till they get to the part where they're helping you paddle.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Aww I love the River pictures.

• Minion

9-19-10
    I apologize to everyone coming to see this post today but I had to make the decision to take Sundays off from the "Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day". Sundays are our heaviest production day here at work and are easily 15 - 17 hour days of very physical work. It was just becoming too difficult to do this post on such a long work day, so from now on it will just be 6 days per week.

I will be back tomorrow with a new one.

Thanks for reading!

Since it is Sunday, what are you doing at your computer? Go out and take some pictures!

I am a huge fan of both your talent as a photographer, and the information shared in this thread. You deserve Sundays off. You really do! Thanks for everything!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by blorgan View Post
    I am a huge fan of both your talent as a photographer, and the information shared in this thread. You deserve Sundays off. You really do! Thanks for everything!
    Very, Very kind of you to say. Thank you. Hopefully only doing this 6 days per week will give me a little more time to make it better. There is so much more that I want to do and share that it frustrates me to no end that I don't have the time I need to make this as good as I want it to be.

• My turn

Hi, I'm a long-time lurker of this thread. I love reading all the photo tips because I'm always trying to take good photos, even though I don't have a DSLR (I only have a handheld digital one) so I can't use half the tricks. XP

Even so, on my last trip to the parks I used a few of your tips like the Child's Eye Perspective and going up really close (I forgot the names you gave them!) as well as doing "Hang all Out" tip before you actually posted it. I ended up going on a photo rampage! Especially with the child's perspective shots, which came out well, and though a few looked the same as when I was on regular height level, it was much easier to capture those shots as I got lower. I'll be using a lot more of these tips from now on, thanks a lot!

• Minion

9-20-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is going to be the first in a series of posts about photographing your family in the parks. We will start with The Little Ones.

I have to preface this by saying that I don’t have any children of my own, which makes this a difficult post to do. It also means I have no experience photograping children but for this lesson I will try to illustrate some of my thoughts. Hopefully these few tips and pictures will help you capture some magic moments with your kids at Disneyland.

The first thing to remember when photographing children is to Make the child the center of attention. The next thing to remember is to Get Down to Their Eye Level. This keeps their proportions correct and doesn’t make them look like they have abnormally large heads.

Here is a photo of a father taking a picture of his little princess in front of the castle. Notice, he is at her eye level and the mom is getting the child to look at her and not the camera. (wonderful form)

As I was walking through Paradise Park the other day, there were a bunch of little kids playing in the fountains surrounded by their parents. Much to my dismay, not one parent was at the child’s eye level.

I can only imagine how amazing this picture could have been if the dad was in front of the child and at his level. I actually took the photo of the dad to show you what not to do in that instance.

Here are a few shots that I took by sitting down and just watching the kids play in the water. When the activity the child is participating in is an important part of the subject, (such as playing in the fountains), it's a good time to take what is called a Full Body Shot of your kids like in these pictures.

Kids love to run around and they’re usually moving quick and in several directions at the same time. In those instances, a fast shutter speed is required. The Sports setting on your camera works well at these moments.

When the misters came on, it made a beautiful rainbow across the water. I was taking a picture of the rainbow when all of a sudden this cute little girl came running into the frame. I never saw her coming but was lucky enough to capture this unbelievable moment. The writing on her shirt, the rainbow and the smile on her face make this picture an incredible candid shot. I gave her dad my card, showed him the picture and told him to e-mail me so I can send it to him.

Watch for those candid moments because children act differently when they know their picture is being taken. They get shy, overact or get some kind of goofy smile on their face. Keep an eye out for those wonderful spontaneous opportunities when the picture presents itself. I snapped this shot at the Shooting Exposition in Frontierland the other day and thought it captured a fabulous moment between father and son. (I also offered to send the dad this picture.)

Over the course of time I will do more posts about photographing people. I have a whole bunch of them all planned out, I just need to find some people that will let me take their picture when I am in the park.
    HINT, HINT! Any Volunteers?

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010