Page 28 of 158 FirstFirst ... 31825262728293031385378128 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

wow the California letter pics are amazing the long one looking straight at is my desktop it looks great and puts a smile on my face

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    wow the California letter pics are amazing the long one looking straight at is my desktop it looks great and puts a smile on my face
    I'm so glad!!!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Great work Hot Sauce as always!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great tip and examples, HDR is a tricky beast, no arguments there. And a lot do turn out just awful and processed looking that I have seen, definitely a easy pitfall to fall into it seems.

Love love love the Zocalo photo...that's pretty fantastic.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

I for one am really going to miss the California letters.... A thought jsut occured to me!!! They must be getting rid of the hidden Mickey that is in the concrete behind them!

• my favorite sociopath

God, How I Love These Picture Threads!! When I go to the Park, I'm so busy trying to get on as many rides as I can, that I miss the little thing that makes Disneyland so special. Thank you, Hot Sause 1 and to all, for willing to share your pictures.

• Minion

9-24-10
    In “Today’s Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” we are going to take some time to stop and Smell The Flowers.

Today I pay tribute to the Landscape Imagineers at Disneyland and the amazing work they do.

As we all know, Disneyland is filled with beautiful flowers that are meticulously cared for and are constantly changing to fit the seasons. Flowers are one of nature’s most perfect creations and can make a wonderful photograph all by themselves. Lots of people take pictures of flowers but few actually spend time to study the flowers and to photograph them in different ways and for different uses.

If you plan on taking close up pictures of individual flowers, the “Macro” setting on your camera is the best setting to use. After all, the Macro symbol is shaped like a flower for a reason. If you are using a DSLR, you can use the largest aperture possible to fade out the background as an option for the Macro setting.

The perfect time to take close up pictures of flowers is early in the morning when the flowers have droplets of dew on them. Since Disneyland isn’t usually open that early, a simple trick is to pour some water on your hand and flick it onto the flower before taking the picture.

Another nice touch when photographing flowers is to capture insects on them such as bees or butterflies.

You can use flowers as a type of frame for a subject like these tulips around the plaque in front of the Partners Statue.

They can also be used as a background for a picture like this one of the Pluto statue.

You can take pictures of the flowers from a low vantage point, looking across the field of flowers.

You can also use the flowers to create a certain mood in a picture by placing them in the foreground of the photo and having an object in the background that ties itself to the flowers.

Here I used the pink roses in front of the castle to set a calm and serene mood.

I did the same thing here, only I put the flower against the reflection of the castle on the water.

In this picture, the orange flowers in New Orleans Square make a perfect foreground for the Mark Twain and New Orleans Square. (Thanks to Andy Castro for the inspiration of these pictures)

These few tulips work well as a lead in to the Courtyard of Angels in New Orleans Square.

I saw these "Birds of Paradise" outside the "Paradise Pier Hotel" and thought it was a pretty foreground to the hotel.

Another great way to photograph flowers that most people overlook is from underneath. If you can get low enough to shoot the flowers from below and have the sun illuminating them from above, it can make a very striking picture.

So the next time you visit the parks, take the time to not only smell and appreciate the flowers, take a few extra minutes to capture them in ways you never before imagined

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NemoVir View Post
    God, How I Love These Picture Threads!! When I go to the Park, I'm so busy trying to get on as many rides as I can, that I miss the little thing that makes Disneyland so special. Thank you, Hot Sause 1 and to all, for willing to share your pictures.
    It's my pleasure.
    It's funny, I'm usually so busy taking pictures that I hardly ride any rides.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Thank you so much for these wonderful photos! Floral/landscapig photos are probably my favorite to do and probably what I am best at photographing. Some of those are some of the best flower photos at the Resort I've seen.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Thank you so much for these wonderful photos! Floral/landscapig photos are probably my favorite to do and probably what I am best at photographing. Some of those are some of the best flower photos at the Resort I've seen.
    Thank you very much. If you've never tried the flicking water on the flowers trick, definitely do it the next time you are there. For real close up shots, it can make a fantastic picture. I think the shooting from below are my new favorites and I will be doing much more of that in the future. I really like the view from underneath and the sky above.

• Minion

9-25-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is going to be a bit on the technical side. However, if you are taking photographs at Disneyland, or anywhere else for that matter, this information can come in very handy.

Today we discuss White Balance.

In simple terms, White Balance is the intensity of red, green and blue in a specific light source. On digital cameras, white balance compensates for variations in the color of light that is different from daylight (ie: indoor fluorescent lights, LED lights, etc.), to create the correct color balance in a photograph.

The scale for measuring the ratio of Red & Blue is the Kelvin scale. On the Kelvin scale, the bluer the light, the higher the Kelvin temperature would be; the redder the light, the lower the Kelvin temperature will be. All degrees of light have a certain Kelvin temperature and this is why light bulbs have different temperature ratings on their package. Some bulbs will appear more red or more blue than others depending upon their temperature. For example:

A Clear Blue Sky like you would find in the Caribbean is between 9,000K – 15,000K
    An Overcast Sky is 6,000K – 8,000K
    General household lighting is between 2,500K – 3,000K
    A bright 200 watt incandescent bulb is 2,980K.
    A 40 watt bulb is 2,650K
    The flame of a candle is a mere 1,200K – 1,500K
    Specialty bulbs such as Christmas Lights (Tungsten) and decorative bulbs are usually around 3,200 – 3,500K (this is why you should set your white balance to Tungsten when photographing Christmas lights.)

For daytime outdoor pictures and most indoor situations, the AUTO White balance on our cameras does a very good job, but Disneyland is filled with all kinds of lighting conditions and the more you understand those varying lights, the better your pictures can be.

Let’s take a look at pictures from various locations in Disneyland with different White Balance settings and see how they look.

These shots of Tigger are from the Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn which has pink walls and all those little tiny bulbs that give a yellowish/pink hue to your pictures. The Plaza Inn more than any place in Disneyland fools the cameras auto white balance the most.

White Balance on Auto:

Set to Daylight:

Set to Shade:

Set to Tungsten:

Set to White Flourescent:

A Custom White Balance set to 2700K

As you can see, the Auto setting wasn’t very good. The white stripes on Tigger are yellow or orange depending upon the setting. Other than the Custom setting at 2700K, the Tungsten setting is definitely the closest to what it actually looked like.

I know it might be a bit confusing as to why a lower temperatue such as 2700K would make Tigger's white stripes appear more natural instead of a warmer setting like Daylight. What you have to remember is that your eyes see color the way it is supposed to look regardless of the temperature of the light. The camera cannot adjust itself like your eyes can. You need to adjust the cameras sensor to match the color of the light source (ie: the 40 watt light bulbs) so the colors appear correct.

These pictures from It’s a Small World are a little tougher to figure out because each room in It’s a Small World has a different color palette and different colored lighting.

Auto White Balance:

Shade: (I didn't show Daylight because it was virtually the same as Shade)

Tungsten:

White Flourescent:

To be honest, I'm not really sure which one I like best. I think Tungsten or Flourescent are the most accurate but I kinda like the warmth of the one at Auto White Balance.

A few more from It's a Small World but different room.

Auto White Balance:

Tungsten:

White Flourescent:

Other than the white rabbit being the whitest at Tungsten, those all seem very similar to me, so I would have to conlude that Auto White Balance might be the best choice for this part of the ride.

Another very difficult attraction to photograph is Pirates of the Caribbean. Most of the lighting is yellow to red in color which is difficult for cameras to get just right. Here are a few pictures of the jail scene to show what it looks like under different settings. No one would be using the Daylight or Shade setting in there, so I didn’t show those.

Auto White Balance:

Tungsten:

White Flourescent:

Tungsten seems to have the whitest whites but I think Auto better represents the light from the lamps and the fires. (just my opinion)

I would be remiss if I concluded this discussion about White Balance without mentioning RAW format. One of the huge advantages of shooting in RAW format is that the software that comes with your camera gives you the ability to change the white balance settings in the computer long after you took the picture. You can also fine tune the color temperature to get the white balance exactly the way your eye actually saw it. This is how I was able to use the same picture with different White Balance settings.

I hope this brief discussion about White Balance gives you the knowledge and the confidence to use the White Balance setting on your camera and capture the image the way it is supposed to look.

I would love to know what you all think of these and which settings you think are the best. I've been staring at these pictures so much that I can't tell the difference anymore.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Avid Photographer!

Nice post!

You brought out the fact about White Balance with RAW: This is one of the many reasons I shoot RAW - it has no white balance. Here's a perfect example of why RAW is preferred in this sense:

The photo out of my camera:

The picture after white balance (and in this case, some hue adjustments to correct specific color channels)

As you can see, my camera got the image totally wrong but because of RAW correcting it was easy as pie.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Continuing to enjoy all of these great shots, Hot Sauce, and guest contributors. Hot Sauce....those flower shots were amazing. Keep up the good work!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    Nice post!

You brought out the fact about White Balance with RAW: This is one of the many reasons I shoot RAW - it has no white balance. Here's a perfect example of why RAW is preferred in this sense:

The photo out of my camera:

The picture after white balance (and in this case, some hue adjustments to correct specific color channels)

As you can see, my camera got the image totally wrong but because of RAW correcting it was easy as pie.
    I have a few of those "Green Honey" pictures from my Point & Shoot. Too bad I can't adjust the White Balance on those. Luckilly, I just took a bunch of new ones with my DSLR and the Nifty Fifty.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Continuing to enjoy all of these great shots, Hot Sauce, and guest contributors. Hot Sauce....those flower shots were amazing. Keep up the good work!
    Coming from you, that means a lot. Thank you. Please chime in whenever you can. I would love to learn from you.