Page 32 of 158 FirstFirst ... 72229303132333435425782132 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

10-8-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is going to break the Rule of 3rds which we discussed yesterday, and in doing so, create more dramatic or tension filled photographs that reach out and grab the viewer’s attention. Today, we venture to the outer edges of our frame.

By placing your main subject at the very edge of the picture, the photograph is not what the viewer would normally expect. That unexpected view can have a more emotional impact or change the feeling of the picture depending upon the subject matter or how you place it in the frame.

Here are a bunch of photos that place the subject on the far edge of the frame. Each one has it’s own emotional impact due to the subject and/or the way it is placed in the photograph.

I caught this Storm Trooper walking in front of me and he seems so much more brooding and aggressive because you only see a portion of his mask peering into the edge of the picture.

In this shot of the Storm Trooper, he appears to be sneaking up on some unsuspecting young Jedi.

The profile of the snake coming into the edge of the photo gives this shot a very ominous feel.

You can almost feel the anger coming off of Darth Maul and even though you don't see what he is directing his glance at, the Jedi sign in the background tells you exactly why he is so ticked off.

By showing only half the bowler on the edge of the frame, it allows you to see down the bowling alley and you feel like you are right behind him watching his every move.

In this picture of the engineer of the E.P. Ripley, you only see a portion of the engineer’s face and body but his clothes, hat and glove give you a real sense of the man and what he is about.

My lovely wife Diane took this picture of me photographing the water wheel at Grizzly Rapids and by placing me in the bottom left corner of the frame, it makes me seem so small and insignificant compared to the size of the subject of the picture I am taking.

By placing Mary Poppins in the bottom corner of the frame and leaving the Castle as such a large part of the image, she complements the castle, adding to the overall atmosphere of "Fantasyland”.

If she was in the center of the photo or took up a larger percentage of the frame, then she would be the focal point of the picture and the castle would be a pretty backdrop. Both ways work well, this just shows how you can control the mood of the picture by how you place the subject in the frame.

Since we threw the Rule of 3rds out the window today, and put our subject on the very edge of the frame, tomorrow we will change it up a bit and put our subject in the dead center of the frame.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

great pics again as always I'm in Publications(yearbook) at school and the teacher taught us some of tips you use

• Minion

10-9-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” will be a slight departure from the previous 2 days posts about the Rule of 3rds and putting your subject on the edge of the frame. Today we drag our bodies away from the walls and into the Dead Center of the Frame.

Normally my goal as an amateur photographer is to create dynamic images with visual impact, drama or convey some kind of emotion. If that is your goal too, then putting the subject in the middle of the frame is the last thing you want to do. I have a general dislike of images with the subject in the center because it reminds me of when I first started taking pictures and I used to do with every picture I took. I did it because I didn’t know any better and/or wasn’t creative enough to think about doing it any other way. They also remind me of a picture you would see of something being sold on Ebay.

However, there are times when the subject doesn’t need to scream for attention and a gentle whisper is all that needs to be heard. Also, depending upon the subject, you will want it to be the sole center of attention and not have any other distractions in the frame.

Here are some pictures where I placed the subject in the center and the reasons why I did.

This shot of a Storm Trooper is a great example of center framing because I clearly have plenty of room on the sides to crop it in such a way that he is on the Rule of 3rds intersection or I could just do a tight crop to his body. I left the picture the way it was for several reasons.
    1. He is staring directly at the viewer and is facing straight forward.
    2. His uniform is very bright and the background is mostly dark, so he stands out.
    3. The crowd in the background is somewhat blurred and so far away that they don't draw your attention away from his.
    4. By leaving him directly in the middle and the space on the sides, it isolates him and makes him all the more threatening.

For this picture of the color guard doing the Flag Retreat, I wanted to focus solely on him and not have any other people in the frame. I zoomed in on him and cropped the image a bit to eliminate distractions. I left just enough of the rope and his hand to lead the eye up the photo.

The Princesses are such delicate and lovely ladies that they deserve to have the frame to their selves and to be the center of attention. In this picture of Aurora, her dress and arms lead the eye upwards towards her face which is in the exact center of the frame. (Personally, I prefer a much tighter crop and would place her differently in the frame, but I took it like this for the purpose of this lesson. You will see the other shots in an upcoming tip on photographing the Princesses.)

Snow White also deserves the frame all to herself. Because she is standing with a slight curve to her body and her arms at an angle, the image still has some movement to it making it nicer to look at. I also placed her face in the upper half of the frame for better composition than the previous picture of Aurora.

This picture of Alice works well because she is spinning, which gives the photo a sense of movement and excitement. It was also necessary to crop it this tight to her because there were crowds of people on both sides of her.

Mickey’s Fun Wheel during the World of Color after show is a perfect example of something that works really well as the center of attention because of the round shape, Mickey’s face right in the middle and the fountains giving light, color and excitement to the picture.

I also took an image of the fun wheel centered in the frame, opened it in Photoscape and tilted it to make it less static and more fun to look at.

To make Mickey’s face more prominent and pop out of the picture, I cropped it to a perfect square with Mickey’s face centered and added a slight Fish Eye effect to it in Photoscape. (Go to Filter-Distorts-Fish Eye. Then you can adjust the amount of Fish Eye effect to it.)

This shot of the entrance of Indiana Jones works well because the snakes flanking the entrance give symmetry and balance to the photo.

I wanted the eyes of the snake to stand out and be the focus of attention, so I placed them right in the center as if you are in a staring contest with it. I kept enough of the rest of the planter so you could still see the detail and texturing surrounding it.

Now here is an example of an object in the center of the frame and how boring it can be if there isn’t a specific reason for it to be centered. To me it looks like some kind of lawn decoration being sold on Ebay.

I hope these examples help you know when and when not to place your subject in the center of the frame.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Minion

10-11-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is another (and hopefully a little better) screen capture video. This one is going to show you how you can use the Motion Blur in Photoshop Elements to turn an ever present crowd in your photo to your advantage.

This photo of Fantasyland was taken by my wife using a simple Point & Shoot Camera. It is your average scene in Fantasyland and like any daytime shot in Disneyland has a bunch of people in it.

Here is the same image with a Motion Blur applied to it. Now, the picture looks as if a tripod and slow shutter speed was used, making the crowd look very active and like time is flying by. It also gives the picture a sense of movement and excitement, turning a very bland and boring photo into something you don’t mind looking at.

This video will take you step by step through the process of applying the Motion Blur using Photoshop Elements. I recommend watching it full screen.
    YouTube - ringoffireguy's Channel

Thanks for watching, and please let me know what you think.
    I would love to hear your opinions and any ideas or questions you might have for future posts.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Minion

10-12-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is based on an experience I had last week at Disneyland.
    It is a quick little tip for taking pictures on rainy days in the park. I call it When it Rains, go to the Rainforest. (not the Rainforest Cafe)

I went to Disneyland last Tuesday for Mickey’s Halloween Party with a big list of photos that I wanted to take. Unfortunately, Mother Nature doesn’t care about my photography and this was the view that greeted me when we arrived.

I was lamenting to my wife about how my day was ruined and that I wouldn’t be able to take any pictures. She politely told me to “Heed my own advice, embrace the rain and make it part of the pictures”. Well, the best place to take pictures in the rain would be a rainforest, ie; Adventureland and the Indiana Jones exit area.

As it turns out, photographing an area that is supposed to look like a rainforest during the rain, makes for some very natural looking and wonderful photos. To keep the pictures in the “actual rainforest” theme, I intentionally kept the pictures a little dark and kept as much of the plants it the shots as needed to make it look like I was really in a jungle. There is also enough of a jungle canopy above you to keep you from getting too wet when shooting. Here are a few examples.

It rained throughout most of the day and into the evening so we decided to give it a go at night time as well. It was far too dark in most areas to take any decent pictures, but we did get to ride the Jungle Cruise in the dark. Since there was nobody behind me, I was able to grab this shot as we got off the boat.

So, if you happen to be in the park on a rainy day, try to embrace it and pay a visit to the rainforest. You’ll get some great pictures.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very good tip on that one, thank you! Rainy days can be awesome in a lot of ways at the park, provided you are prepared, and that includes photographic potential. Excellent post.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    great pics again as always I'm in Publications(yearbook) at school and the teacher taught us some of tips you use
    Are you in High School?
    If so, you seem so much more mature than I would have guessed.

THANKS for all your comments. I really do appreciate it.

Mike

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Are you in High School?
    If so, you seem so much more mature than I would have guessed.

THANKS for all your comments. I really do appreciate it.

Mike
    yep I'm a Junior n17 yrs old I'm really mature for my age i guess that's how i was raised

• Minion

yep I'm a Junior n17 yrs old I'm really mature for my age i guess that's how i was raised
    Well I'm truly flattered and pleased that you are here and reading my useless dribble.

• Minion

Well I'm truly flattered and pleased that you are here and reading my useless dribble.
    You should have spaced the tips out like twice a week instead of everyday so the thread could go on for months instead of a few weeks you know?

• Minion

You should have spaced the tips out like twice a week instead of everyday so the thread could go on for months instead of a few weeks you know?
    Believe it or not, I've been doing this for almost 3 months now. I still have ideas for about 40 more days worth, and new ones keep coming up. I'm hoping to be able to keep it up for about a year.

I do have to say though that it is wearing on me. I recently started taking Sunday's off. I might have to take it down to 5 days a week, mostly because we are so freakishly busy here at work.

I have much bigger plans for it as I improve, but my lack of time has been hindering me from giving it the attention that I really want to.

I don't want you to burn out as I find this one of the most enjoyable threads on the site.

I would encourage you to cut it down to say 3 a week. You do a nice job and good for people to absorb all the information you are sharing. Of course the risk is that with all the other stuff that gets posted, the thread drops down quickly.
    The Mur

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    I don't want you to burn out as I find this one of the most enjoyable threads on the site.

I would encourage you to cut it down to say 3 a week. You do a nice job and good for people to absorb all the information you are sharing. Of course the risk is that with all the other stuff that gets posted, the thread drops down quickly.
    Thank you very much for the kind words of encouragement. I think I will have to cut it down to every other day pretty soon. We are already crazy busy here at work are are heading into our busiest season. The extra day between posts would give me more time to make each one better, or at least as good as I can make it.

I'll definitely have to start considering that very soon.

If you have ideas for posts or things you want to know, please let me know. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Hot Sauce - Thanks again for your continued shots and for your instructional posts. They are certainly NOT useless dribble! I, and many others, have benefited greatly from your posts, and I do hope you will continue them as long as humanly possible.

Thanks for the rainy day shots. I love shooting in the rain. If you can manage to keep the rain off of your camera and lenses, there are some great opportunities on rainy days for photographers. I think my FAVORITE thing about rainy days is the reflected light off of the pavement throughout the park, especially on main street in the late afternoon, early evening. You also usually get an almost EMPTY park, and empty parks are VERY fun to shoot.

Looking forward to more of your posts. Keep them coming!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Hot Sauce - Thanks again for your continued shots and for your instructional posts. They are certainly NOT useless dribble! I, and many others, have benefited greatly from your posts, and I do hope you will continue them as long as humanly possible.

Thanks for the rainy day shots. I love shooting in the rain. If you can manage to keep the rain off of your camera and lenses, there are some great opportunities on rainy days for photographers. I think my FAVORITE thing about rainy days is the reflected light off of the pavement throughout the park, especially on main street in the late afternoon, early evening. You also usually get an almost EMPTY park, and empty parks are VERY fun to shoot.

Looking forward to more of your posts. Keep them coming!
    Very kind of you to say! I will continue them for quite a while. My goal is to do a minimum of 300.

I was bummed that they were sweeping all the water off the streets to dry them for the parade. I only got one shot of the decorations reflecting off the wet pavement. I didn't occur to me to go down Main St. and shoot those reflections. (DARN IT! I have to go again the next time it rains.)

I also like the way rain drops look on water. I had to hurry getting this one so my camera didn't get too wet.

It did stop raining about 1 hour before the fireworks and the rest of the night was beautiful. I did get to spend some time near closing and got this little beauty.