Page 33 of 158 FirstFirst ... 82330313233343536435883133 ... LastLast

• I Can Show You the World

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Awesome shots and tips! Have you ever thought of hosting a MiceChat Photography Tour of the parks? I know I would fly out for that!

• Minion

10-13-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is called Beat the Crowd.

If you are like me and enjoy taking pictures of Disneyland, but hate having people in your photos (or at least people you don’t know) there is really only one way to get the shots you want and that is to Beat the Crowd.

There are a couple of ways to beat the crowd. You can get there first thing in the morning, before the crowds arrive and/or you can stay there after closing and be the last guest to leave the park. (like I usually am)

Staying after closing is easy. All you need is a jacket, some patience and a tripod. This works best on week nights or off season because the park closes earlier than weekends and summer hours.

The morning shots are a little bit tougher to get but there are a few tricks that can help.
    1. Character Breakfast: If you make a reservation for the Minnie & Friends Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn for a time before park opening, you are allowed into the park before it opens. There is also a separate entrance turnstile just for the character breakfast so you don’t have to wait in the huge line with everyone else. If the park opening is at 10:00, Plaza Inn opens for breakfast at 9:00. I usually make my reservation for 10:00 and go through the breakfast entrance at 9:00. Then I can spend that hour taking pictures before the crowd arrives. By the time the Rope Drops, I’ve taken dozens of pictures and am ready for breakfast. (Be aware that Adventureland and Frontierland are roped off until opening. You can go into Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.)

2. Extra Magic Hours: If you are a guest of one of the Disneyland Resort Hotels, there are certain days where hotel guests are granted access to the park 1 hour before the normal opening time. I recently made a very important discovery about Extra Magic Hours and the Disneyland Hotels. It seems that all of the hotel guests try to get in the park early as well. If you are planning on taking advantage of that early morning hour, leave your hotel much earlier than that, or TAKE THE STAIRS! I was on the 4th floor of Paradise Pier Hotel and had to wait over 25 minutes for an elevator. The only way we actually got on an elevator was to push the UP button and ride the elevator all the way to the top floor and then all the way back down. Yes it stopped at every single floor even though it was full. The entire elevator experience took almost 40 minutes to get down 4 floors and was the longest wait for any ride that we had all day. If I wasn’t carrying a suitcase and other bags, I would have taken the stairs. Needless to say, we didn’t get to see 1 of those extra magic minutes. (Adventureland and Frontierland are also closed during the Extra Magic Hour.)

I took this one from the front of rope drop one morning a few years ago.

Here are all the people waiting for rope drop.

These are the shots I took before rope drop and my breakfast reservation. I was so busy taking pictures around the hub that I didn't make it into Fantasyland or Tomorrowland that morning.

And here are some after closing shots. This is my favorite time to photograph because I am a late night person and I love the romance of the park at night. I like to start off in Critter Country or Tomorrowland and work my way towards the exit from the farthest points I can find.

So the next time you plan on visiting the park, plan on getting there early or staying very late to get some crowd free photos.

Happy Snapping
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 11-05-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by awaflyboy View Post
    Awesome shots and tips! Have you ever thought of hosting a MiceChat Photography Tour of the parks? I know I would fly out for that!
    Hi Mark,

I am deeply flattered, especially since I checked out your website and gallery and you are far, far, far beyond me as a photographer. I just know the tricks for taking pictures at Disneyland, that's about it.

I would much rather take a photo tour with you!

Mike

I think a photo tour would be great. 8 to 15 people! It would be a lot of fun. I have actually left suggestions at City Hall about Disney doing a tour with as Disneyland photographer (not a photopass person.)

For the end of the day shots, are you packing a tripod or are you cranking the ISO?
    The Mur

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Hi Mark,

I am deeply flattered, especially since I checked out your website and gallery and you are far, far, far beyond me as a photographer. I just know the tricks for taking pictures at Disneyland, that's about it.

I would much rather take a photo tour with you!

Mike
    Wow, thanks Mike! I'm flattered as well. Perhaps we both should host one ;-) I'm off weekdays and can usually fly out any day.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    I think a photo tour would be great. 8 to 15 people! It would be a lot of fun. I have actually left suggestions at City Hall about Disney doing a tour with as Disneyland photographer (not a photopass person.)

For the end of the day shots, are you packing a tripod or are you cranking the ISO?
    The more I think about it, a photo meet up & tour would be a lot of fun and a great learning experience for everyone. I think each person would bring something different to the table and we could all learn from each other.

I also went to City Hall and suggested a early morning photo tour with a Disney Photographer and the only response I got was "we aren't allowed to take suggestions from guests." Well EXCUUUUSSSEE Me!

I almost always have a tripod with me for the night shots. Although several of the night shots in today's post were done by hand. (Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Tarzan's Treehouse and Aladdin's Oasis.) The Haunted Mansion one I placed the camera against the bars of the gate and the Splash Mountain, I used one of the fence posts.

Maybe we should start making some noise on here about a photo meet up & tour. Possibly in mid November or early December for the Christmas decorations.... How does that sound?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by awaflyboy View Post
    Wow, thanks Mike! I'm flattered as well. Perhaps we both should host one ;-) I'm off weekdays and can usually fly out any day.
    This is sounding better and better. What do you think of mid November or early December to shoot the Christmas decorations?

Another excellent daily tip Michael. Since I've recently gotten back into photography, I'm so looking forward to shooting early morning and late night stuff in the park! Wish I lived closer (Sacramento).

Hope we can meet up with you next time we're there. I think we'd have lots of photography stuff to talk about and it would be fun to go on a shooting safari with a creative guy such as yourself.

Keep up the interesting takes and tips on DL photography!

I might be jumping the gun a little, but we have plans to be in DL November 18-20.

We would love to join a photo group tour of the parks if it works out!

I know some of the Disney World photographers have met up and had a blast shooting fireworks.

I also went to City Hall and suggested a early morning photo tour with a Disney Photographer and the only response I got was "we aren't allowed to take suggestions from guests." Well EXCUUUUSSSEE Me!
    It's a legal issue. It is not intended to be offensive.

I enjoy the pictures, nice work.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Raindown View Post
    It's a legal issue. It is not intended to be offensive.

I enjoy the pictures, nice work.
    Thank you!

I knew it was a legal issue. It was just the way she said it that was so abrupt and almost condescending that I thought was funny.
    I've had many business dealings with Disney in the past and have had to sign their legal disclaimer saying any idea I have, I cannot mention, and if I do mention it, they own it. (basically)

• Avid Photographer!

Now I need to get my family to figure out when we're heading down to Disneyland. I think it'd be a TON of fun just going around for a day or two with other people who enjoy taking pictures as much as I do.

Also - you did a better job at the Main Street USA pic than I did. Mine has ghosties in it!

Main Street USA After Closing by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    Now I need to get my family to figure out when we're heading down to Disneyland. I think it'd be a TON of fun just going around for a day or two with other people who enjoy taking pictures as much as I do.

Also - you did a better job at the Main Street USA pic than I did. Mine has ghosties in it!

Main Street USA After Closing by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr
    Damn people! Don't they know you were trying to take a picture. What drives me crazy at night are all the rental strollers that people just leave all over the park. It is so hard to get a good empty shot without a stroller in it.

I also think it would be a blast if a bunch of us got together and went around taking pictures and sharing whatever knowledge we can. (it won't be much in my case) It would also be really cool if we could reserve a certain area for shooting the fireworks.

I also think it would be a blast if a bunch of us got together and went around taking pictures and sharing whatever knowledge we can. (it won't be much in my case) It would also be really cool if we could reserve a certain area for shooting the fireworks.
    On that note, I just posted a poll in the meet forum to see how many people would be interested in just such a meet! Here's a link to the thread.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

The more I think about it, a photo meet up & tour would be a lot of fun and a great learning experience for everyone. I think each person would bring something different to the table and we could all learn from each other.

I almost always have a tripod with me for the night shots. Although several of the night shots in today's post were done by hand. (Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Tarzan's Treehouse and Aladdin's Oasis.) The Haunted Mansion one I placed the camera against the bars of the gate and the Splash Mountain, I used one of the fence posts.

Maybe we should start making some noise on here about a photo meet up & tour. Possibly in mid November or early December for the Christmas decorations.... How does that sound?

I love the idea of a photo walk/tour, and I was further motivated by that recent thread featuring the photography of Paul Hiffmeyer who is one of the staff photographers at Disneyland. I thought it would be AMAZING to have him lead a walk through of the park before the park opened, early in the morning, and, in a perfect world, might be able to gain access to vantage points in the park that we would never get otherwise, i.e. off the beaten path. Can you imagine shooting from upstairs in the castle looking back down Main Street (from where they set the fireworks), or from the roof of the train station, or out of the window of Walt's apartment? How much would you be willing to pay for that kind of an experience? I'd be willing to fork out some huge $$$. I really think there would be a decent market for this, and if they ran it once or twice a year, I'd bet it would sell out WAY in advance.

Probably won't ever happen, but it's sure fun to think about. I saw Paul a couple weeks ago while he was shooting the media event in front of the Haunted Mansion, and I ALMOST went up and suggested this, but he looked rather busy at the time, and I thought better of it.

Maybe someday...

In the mean time, a photo meet up sounds like a blast! Maybe we could put the word out in flickr as well and see if we could get a crowd together?