Page 34 of 158 FirstFirst ... 92431323334353637445984134 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    What drives me crazy at night are all the rental strollers that people just leave all over the park. It is so hard to get a good empty shot without a stroller in it.
    Left behind rental stroller are the bane of my disneyland existence. Finally, someone understands me.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

<<<---- Down for the photo meet

When and where and I'm there 40D in hand

I also think it would be a blast if a bunch of us got together and went around taking pictures and sharing whatever knowledge we can. (it won't be much in my case)
    Michael, you are WAY too modest for your own good

You are doing something (this thread) that most of us would love to do and you communicate your ideas very well. I think the positive responses to your thread speak to what an excellent photographer and teacher you are.

It would also be really cool if we could reserve a certain area for shooting the fireworks.
    I always thought it would be interesting to shoot the fireworks from the area on the right side front of the castle with a wide angle lens. They shoot many of the big fireworks from an area behind and to the left of the castle, so that might make an interesting angle to the castle and fireworks that most people don't see.

Don't get me wrong, I love the photos of fireworks from Main Street head on, but I'm always looking for a creative angle that I haven't seen before.

Damn people! Don't they know you were trying to take a picture. What drives me crazy at night are all the rental strollers that people just leave all over the park. It is so hard to get a good empty shot without a stroller in it.
    Stollers = Photoshop

• I Can Show You the World

So what type gear does everyone have? I have just upgraded to a Nikon D90 with Nikon DX AF-S VR Nikkor 55-200m and a Nikon DX AF-S VR Nikkor 18-55mm.

I'm actually looking forward to getting to use it on my next visit to the parks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I love the idea of a photo walk/tour, and I was further motivated by that recent thread featuring the photography of Paul Hiffmeyer who is one of the staff photographers at Disneyland. I thought it would be AMAZING to have him lead a walk through of the park before the park opened, early in the morning, and, in a perfect world, might be able to gain access to vantage points in the park that we would never get otherwise, i.e. off the beaten path. Can you imagine shooting from upstairs in the castle looking back down Main Street (from where they set the fireworks), or from the roof of the train station, or out of the window of Walt's apartment? How much would you be willing to pay for that kind of an experience? I'd be willing to fork out some huge $$$. I really think there would be a decent market for this, and if they ran it once or twice a year, I'd bet it would sell out WAY in advance.

Probably won't ever happen, but it's sure fun to think about. I saw Paul a couple weeks ago while he was shooting the media event in front of the Haunted Mansion, and I ALMOST went up and suggested this, but he looked rather busy at the time, and I thought better of it.

Maybe someday...

In the mean time, a photo meet up sounds like a blast! Maybe we could put the word out in flickr as well and see if we could get a crowd together?
    I totally agree that an educational type Sunrise Photo Tour would sell out very quickly and be really popular. I'd do it again and again.

Putting the word out on Flickr sounds like a good idea. I think we should all start discussing what days of the week work best for people and try and hone down a specific day. From there we could try to create some kind of plan and schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Left behind rental stroller are the bane of my disneyland existence. Finally, someone understands me.
    Strollers and Trash Cans. UGGHH! There have been times where I have moved tash cans out of the frame and then put them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    <<<---- Down for the photo meet

When and where and I'm there 40D in hand
    Let's all start discussing what days work for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Michael, you are WAY too modest for your own good

You are doing something (this thread) that most of us would love to do and you communicate your ideas very well. I think the positive responses to your thread speak to what an excellent photographer and teacher you are.

I always thought it would be interesting to shoot the fireworks from the area on the right side front of the castle with a wide angle lens. They shoot many of the big fireworks from an area behind and to the left of the castle, so that might make an interesting angle to the castle and fireworks that most people don't see.

Don't get me wrong, I love the photos of fireworks from Main Street head on, but I'm always looking for a creative angle that I haven't seen before.

Stollers = Photoshop
    That's very kind of you. In all honesty, my photography equipment, skills and knowledge really isn't that great. I think that being a beginner and trying to learn these things myself helps in sharing that little bit of information with others. I'm just reading lots of magazines, books and blogs about photography, then applying that information to Disneyland and trying to show and say it in a way that a beginner like myself can understand.

Shooting the fireworks from that close to the castle is really hard. I know they wouldn't let us do it from that side area because it is too close to where the fireworks go off so it wouldn't be safe. I also recently had the disappointing discovery that when you are very close to the castle (I was dead center against the rope in front of it) that the fireworks seem very small and low in the sky. Some of the big effects actually end up behind the castle and don't show up very well. Although, shooting vertically with a wide angle lens might work ok. I shot some last week from across the street, on the backside of the Partners Statue and they turned out much better, except for the two people that jumped up on the sidewalk right in front of me 30 seconds before the show started. Every shot has two big heads in it covering up part of the castle. I had the perfect spot, my neutral density filter on, tripod all set, ran dozens of test shots before the show that looked like this:

And then BANG, there's two heads in front of me. I had to raise the viewpoint up a bit, which made me lose the bottom of the castle and I still had those two heads in every single shot. DAMN IT!!!

I also recently shot them from the Monorail platform in Tomorrowland and that was a complete failure. There are no lights on that side of the Matterhorn so it was just a dark shape and the fireworks are so far over to the right that you couldn't get all of the Matterhorn or all of the fireworks in the frame. A wide angle would have worked better but you are also shooting the fireworks from beside them so all of the bursts are in one spot and just become a blob of light.

I would love to be on top of a roof on Main St. or on top of the Matterhorn to shoot but I know that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by awaflyboy View Post
    So what type gear does everyone have? I have just upgraded to a Nikon D90 with Nikon DX AF-S VR Nikkor 55-200m and a Nikon DX AF-S VR Nikkor 18-55mm.

I'm actually looking forward to getting to use it on my next visit to the parks.
    I'm just using a Canon T1i and almost all my shots are with the 18-55 kit lens. I have a 55-250 zoom that I rarely use and a 50 mm F/1.8 prime lens that I use for Dark Rides and for fun once in a while.
    I just bought a new 430EX flash unit that was a huge improvement over m on camera flash and I ordered a 73" tripod yesterday so I can get above those damn heads in my fireworks shots.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 10-23-2010 at 12:09 AM.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

That sucks about the fireworks not looking good from up close to the castle. I've never shot fireworks at DL before, so I'm all theory.

We got a great hotel deal for November 17-21, so we'll be in the parks all day from the 18-20th. Would one of these days work for you guys?

I'm really excited about this!

• Minion

10-14-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” isn’t going to have any pretty pictures in it but hopefully it will help prevent you from getting blurry pictures when photographing moving objects. (You have to understand how difficult it is for me to post pictures that I know aren't anything special to look at. I have to put my pride in check because these are strictly for educational purposes.)

I took these pictures of the Carousel last week using different shutter speeds in an attempt to show how different shutter speeds can affect your photos when taking pictures of moving objects in Disneyland. These theories will apply to virtually any moving object in Disneyland, even if you are the one moving and the object is stationary.

The basic premise of today’s post is that when you are taking pictures of a moving object, it is best if you take the picture when it is coming directly at you instead of beside you. The autofocus on your camera works in such a way that if an object is coming straight at you, the photograph can still be sharp with ½ the shutter speed that it takes if it is passing beside you.

These pictures will explain it much better than I can in words.
    This was taken of the horses coming straight at me with a shutter speed of 1/160th of a second. The Aperture was 4.0 and the ISO was 400 for each of these photos. You can see that the horses are in sharp focus.

Here it is going beside me at the same speed of 1/160th of a second and it is a bit blurry. (Note that the horses in the back are still in focus because they are traveling along a smaller diameter circle and are moving slower than the outer rings.)

This is at 1/80th of a second and the horses are still in focus except for the one going past me.

Here it is going beside me at 1/80th of a second. You can see it is getting blurrier.

Now we drop to 1/60th of a second and the horses as well as the child coming at me are still in focus.

Going past me at 1/60th, is just a complete blurry mess.

So what we can learn from this, is that if you are taking pictures of someone on a ride, take it while they are coming at you and not going past you. If you wait till they are going by, you are too late unless you are using a shutter speed in the 1/800 range, which requires a lot of light to take a shot that fast. Most attractions in Disneyland are under some kind of roof so getting that much light is challenging. You can also crank up the ISO but that will result in more noise in the photo.

The same theory holds true that if you are riding an attraction and taking pictures, you need to take the picture as you are heading straight at it, and not waiting until it is beside you. Whenever you go on any ride and plan on taking pictures, ask for the front row so you can take the shot as you are heading directly at it.

You can also try what is called “Panning” where you try to move the camera at the same speed that the object is moving. It isn’t very easy but it can be achieved with some practice. If doing this, it helps to use the auto focus lock feature on DSLR’s and most Point & Shoot Cameras.

I took this shot of the vehicle on Main St. coming at me at 1/125th of a second.

I quickly dropped my shutter speed to 1/50 and tried to pan with the vehicle as it passed by me. The vehicle is in pretty good focus, but you can see that the people in the background are blurry because they aren’t moving but my camera is.

On a side note, I recently listened to some professional photographers discussing shooting the Indy 500. Their advice was also to shoot the cars coming straight at you and to focus on the winshield. If you focus on the front of the car, the driver will not be in focus. They also said that the difficulty in photographing race cars is that you have to use a fast enough shutter speed to keep the car in focus, but not so fast that the tires are in sharp focus. If that happens, the cars look like they are sitting in a parking lot. (I just thought that was intersting)

These ideas will be also discussed further in my upcoming post (I don’t know when) about photographing Dark Rides.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Minion

As a starting point for the discussion about a photo meet & tour, how is Thursday, November 18th for everyone?

Park hours are 10 - 8, with the parade at 5:30 and Fireworks at 7:45. This leaves a good amount of time to be a pain in the security guards rears after closing.

Thoughts, yes, no?????

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Shooting the fireworks from that close to the castle is really hard. I know they wouldn't let us do it from that side area because it is too close to where the fireworks go off so it wouldn't be safe. I also recently had the disappointing discovery that when you are very close to the castle (I was dead center against the rope in front of it) that the fireworks seem very small and low in the sky. Some of the big effects actually end up behind the castle and don't show up very well. Although, shooting vertically with a wide angle lens might work ok. I shot some last week from across the street, on the backside of the Partners Statue and they turned out much better, except for the two people that jumped up on the sidewalk right in front of me 30 seconds before the show started. Every shot has two big heads in it covering up part of the castle. I had the perfect spot, my neutral density filter on, tripod all set, ran dozens of test shots before the show that looked like this:

And then BANG, there's two heads in front of me. I had to raise the viewpoint up a bit, which made me lose the bottom of the castle and I still had those two heads in every single shot. DAMN IT!!!

I also recently shot them from the Monorail platform in Tomorrowland and that was a complete failure. There are no lights on that side of the Matterhorn so it was just a dark shape and the fireworks are so far over to the right that you couldn't get all of the Matterhorn or all of the fireworks in the frame. A wide angle would have worked better but you are also shooting the fireworks from beside them so all of the bursts are in one spot and just become a blob of light.

I would love to be on top of a roof on Main St. or on top of the Matterhorn to shoot but I know that won't happen.

I'm just using a Canon T1i and almost all my shots are with the 18-55 kit lens. I have a 55-250 zoom that I rarely use and a 50 mm F/1.8 prime lens that I use for Dark Rides and for fun once in a while.
    I just bought a new 430EX flash unit that was a huge improvement over m on camera flash and I ordered a 73" tripod yesterday so I can get above those damn heads in my fireworks shots.
    I love those two shots, Hot Sauce, but you're right about the castle fireworks being a tough nut to crack. I wracked my brain every time I was down there this Summer. If you are lucky enough to not have a pumpkin or a Christmas tree at the end of Main Street, you can shoot the fireworks long from in front of the flag pole, but you lose some detail in the castle and much of the castle is behind those hub trees. If you shoot from the sides, you run the risk of some happy tot on top of Daddy's shoulders right before you start shooting. I think the Train Station might yield some good results, but it's reserved seating only and you have the flag pole and trees to deal with. If you get in right down in front, you get great detail in the castle, but now several of the shells are BEHIND the castle and are out of view. I took this one a couple weeks ago, and you can see how much of Mickey is missing...

The shot above is with the Sigma 10-20 which is pretty wide, and while you can get more bursts above, the bursts are not as impressive as the castle looks much larger against the bursts. If it was possible to get a nice shot from, say, in front of Coke Corner, you'd get a much better perspective of the shells vs the castle.

So....I'm still looking for the perfect spot. If you want projections AND some great bursts, I'm just not sure where to try next. It seems the ONLY way to guarantee that someone tall won't land in front of you (or the horrible shoulder people, or a lighted balloon) is to stake out right up against the rope before the show begins.

One other note for would be castle fireworks photographers: Depending on the SIZE of the crowd in the park, they will, on certain nights, use the space in FRONT of you for the crowd to cross over from Tomorrowland to Frontierland. This happened to me again a couple of weeks ago as they allowed all of the park guests to move across between the front row and the castle. The good news is that most of the people disappear if you are using a higher aperture (f13 or so) and have a shutter time of 2-5 seconds or so. But those DARNED BLUE FLASHLIGHTS!

Those poor CMs have to keep the crowd moving, but there is a limit to how much blue flashlight blur one can remove with photoshop.

As for November 18, I'm down for a definite maybe.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 10-14-2010 at 07:31 PM.

• Minion

I love those two shots, Hot Sauce, but you're right about the castle fireworks being a tough nut to crack. I wracked my brain every time I was down there this Summer. If you are lucky enough to not have a pumpkin or a Christmas tree at the end of Main Street, you can shoot the fireworks long from in front of the flag pole, but you lose some detail in the castle and much of the castle is behind those hub trees. If you shoot from the sides, you run the risk of some happy tot on top of Daddy's shoulders right before you start shooting. I think the Train Station might yield some good results, but it's reserved seating only and you have the flag pole and trees to deal with. If you get in right down in front, you get great detail in the castle, but now several of the shells are BEHIND the castle and are out of view. I took this one a couple weeks ago, and you can see how much of Mickey is missing...

The shot above is with the Sigma 10-20 which is pretty wide, and while you can get more bursts above, the bursts are not as impressive as the castle looks much larger against the bursts. If it was possible to get a nice shot from, say, in front of Coke Corner, you'd get a much better perspective of the shells vs the castle.

So....I'm still looking for the perfect spot. If you want projections AND some great bursts, I'm just not sure where to try next. It seems the ONLY way to guarantee that someone tall won't land in front of you (or the horrible shoulder people, or a lighted balloon) is to stake out right up against the rope before the show begins.

One other note for would be castle fireworks photographers: Depending on the SIZE of the crowd in the park, they will, on certain nights, use the space in FRONT of you for the crowd to cross over from Tomorrowland to Frontierland. This happened to me again a couple of weeks ago as they allowed all of the park guests to move across between the front row and the castle. The good news is that most of the people disappear if you are using a higher aperture (f13 or so) and have a shutter time of 2-5 seconds or so. But those DARNED BLUE FLASHLIGHTS!

Those poor CMs have to keep the crowd moving, but there is a limit to how much blue flashlight blur one can remove with photoshop.

As for November 18, I'm down for a definite maybe.
    I love that shot of yours too, but agree that too much of the burst is behind the castle. It is so much easier at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World because they have a taller castle, launch the fireworks higher and have less landscaping in the way and more room for people to be spread out.

The kids on the shoulder thing drives me crazy. I don't mind it as much if the kid is wearing Mickey ears and they are far enough in front of you that it makes a nice silhouette and only for a few shots. I stood in a spot for 2 hours and 1 minute before the show, some guy about 6' 4" cuts through the crowd, gets right in front of me and then puts his daughter on his shoulders wearing a mary poppins outfit. All I could see was white lace. Thankfully, my wife said "louldy" that she couldn't see and his wife made him take his daughter down. I had to yank the camera off the tripod, crank up the ISO and go for fast shots, which kind of negates the purpose of photographing fireworks. Needless to say, not one good shot!

I've scouted out in front of Coke Corner and there are too many trees in the way. The landscaping anywhere on the west side of the Partners Statue is too thick and blocks parts of the castle unless you are pretty close to center. I've shot from right by the Tomorrowland entrance against the shrubs by Plaza Inn and that was ok, but still trees on the sides. I'm wondering about the top of the ramp behind the Partners Statue, right above where they rope it off and have the bences for reserved seating.

I wonder what it would take to reserve that top bench for our photo meet?
    We could lose the bench and have everyone set up their tripods above the people sitting on the bench in front of us. Hmmm....

I'm also curious about shooting from in front of It's a Small World. I've heard that is pretty impressive as well, but much fewer shots to take.

I too want to be in front of that stupid Mickey pumpkin near the flag pole. I've never been fast enough or early enough to grab that spot but again, the trees near the castle and around the hub are getting pretty big. Now that I have a 73" tripod, I think I can be more successful in different areas.

We will have to discuss all this with whoever else wants to come to the photo meet and scout out a bunch of locations. In the mean time, I'll give Disney a call and see about reserving that upper bench. (It never hurts to ask)

Then there's the question of the perfect spot for the Parade. I know for the afternoon parade you have to be on the west side of Main St. or the sun is directly in your face and the characters are in shadows. For the night time parade, I'm trying to map out where every single light pole is on the buildings and which direction the lights are facing. I want to find if there's a gap where you can stand and not have spot lights right in your lens.

I staked out what I thought would be the perfect spot for a night time parade a while ago and they threw my off by running the parade backwards, starting at Main St. and ending by IASW. Every photo was ruined by spot lights flaring in the lens. I think my new flash unit will help with that though.

If they'd just cut down those beautiful trees at the hub, things would be much easier

• Frozen lemonade addict!

HOLY HELL, that is one awesome shot! Im currently working on my firework photography and this is the type of shot that Im hoping for. I just picked up a 50mm 1.8 lens and I quickly found out that with the crop factor on my camera it wasnt wide enought to take this shot. The kit lens (18-55) did a better job but Im gonna have to invest in a wide angle soon.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/
    http://jjhernandez.smugmug.com

How about if we set up a "Mice Chat - Disneyland Photo of the day" Group on flickr?
    The Mur

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    how about if we set up a "mice chat - disneyland photo of the day" group on flickr?

+1!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

Alright, I created a flickr group. Flickr: Mice Chat - Photography

I guess we should have 1 or 2 more admins and couple of mods. Nominations or recomendations?