Page 36 of 158 FirstFirst ... 112633343536373839466186136 ... LastLast

• Avid Photographer!

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

My tripod is slightly longer than that backpack with the ball head attached, and they didn't have a problem with it. I even asked them about it. I think they only care when it's something obtrusive (like a TV-size tripod that's twice as long as mine)

Cool. That's good to know. I was thinking they were just trying to keep huge video tripods out. I have an Induro CT213 (which I love) and am so looking forward to using it in the parks.
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    My tripod is slightly longer than that backpack with the ball head attached, and they didn't have a problem with it. I even asked them about it. I think they only care when it's something obtrusive (like a TV-size tripod that's twice as long as mine)
    I used to be just like you thinking I could get away with it until it got nailed. It's not fun. You'll get nailed eventually. Trust me on this. Mine fits in my back pack and I've been nailed several times. So has Mac Daddy. Please don't push the rules and increase the chances of having this privilege changed. From my understanding, Disneyland is the only Disney park left that allows them. So try and follow the rules for us all.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Avid Photographer!

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I used to be just like you thinking I could get away with it until it got nailed. It's not fun. You'll get nailed eventually. Trust me on this. Mine fits in my back pack and I've been nailed several times. So has Mac Daddy. Please don't push the rules and increase the chances of having this privilege changed. From my understanding, Disneyland is the only Disney park left that allows them. So try and follow the rules for us all.
    It's very close, and I always went back to the room & grabbed it, since I only used it for night pictures. I had a monopod for day use.

I'm also extremely careful when I use it. I try to only spread the legs as far as they absolutely have to go to minimize people tripping over them, and try and put my bags under it to make my spot as small as possible.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    It's very close, and I always went back to the room & grabbed it, since I only used it for night pictures. I had a monopod for day use.

I'm also extremely careful when I use it. I try to only spread the legs as far as they absolutely have to go to minimize people tripping over them, and try and put my bags under it to make my spot as small as possible.
    I've never even been given a second glance when I carry my standard size tripod into the park. I've never even been looked at when I carry my Manfrotto monopod in and that thing is like a cave mans club.

I also do the same thing of keeping the footprint as small as possible and put my bags under it to save space.

However, now I am very concerned about my new tripod. Fully folded, it's about 3 feet long. It is in it's own custom case, so maybe they will be ok with it. I hope so, especially because I bought it just for the fireworks. If not, I will take it back to my car and grab my monopod. The new one is really cool because it has locking buttons on the legs so I can keep them very close together and lock it so they don't move.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

As far as tripods at the other parks, I know WDW doesn't have a problem with them but Tokyo Disneyland doesn't allow any kind of tripod or monopod of any size, not even the little tiny table top ones. This really bums me out because I'm dying to go there and take pictures.

• Avid Photographer!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I've never even been given a second glance when I carry my standard size tripod into the park. I've never even been looked at when I carry my Manfrotto monopod in and that thing is like a cave mans club.

I also do the same thing of keeping the footprint as small as possible and put my bags under it to save space.

However, now I am very concerned about my new tripod. Fully folded, it's about 3 feet long. It is in it's own custom case, so maybe they will be ok with it. I hope so, especially because I bought it just for the fireworks. If not, I will take it back to my car and grab my monopod. The new one is really cool because it has locking buttons on the legs so I can keep them very close together and lock it so they don't move.
    I know the security people (at least while I was there) said that that was pushing it. Mine's about 2 1/2 feet long. Like others have said, we want our tripods too much in the park so we really can't brake the rules and cause them to be changed. One thing you can do is take the head off to make it a little bit shorter. I believe all tripods have this capability.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Tripods have been hit and miss with me. For the past five or six times, I've taken my full bag with the tripod simply held in my hand, and the security checkpoint folks didn't say a thing. It's SMALL enough to fit into a backpack, so maybe that's why they didn't make it an issue. Folded down, I think it's under 20 inches and the zipper will close over it.

However....the one time that the white hats gave me grief inside the park was after closing. I was dragging my feet trying to get some empty park shots in Critter Country, and the security folks came up and told me that the tripod had to go. I didn't argue with them, (even though I had a back pack with me that night that the tripod could fit into) and basically continued on my way to Main Street where taking shots was still legal.

So...if you make it an issue, the security folks could still tell you to put it away. Or if you are using it in a crowded location with lots of people trying to get by, they could also ask you to put it away. As long as it is on the smaller side and unobtrusive, they usually won't make an issue out of it. If lots of people begin complaining or trip and get hurt, I think they would ban the tripods pretty quick. That might be what happened in TDR.

• Avid Photographer!

That's exactly why I am super careful about my tripod positioning, especially for Fantasmic! and Fireworks. I really don't want to cause other people problems by me using my tripod.

And the tripod problem after closing was probably because they just wanted to get you back to main street.

• Minion

The only time security has even spoken to me when I'm taking pictures using my tripod is when they are asking me photography questions. Then again, I'm usually using it when no people are within 100 feet of me.

I have had the occasional "You need to move it along" from security but they have always been really nice about it. At least they were nice until I got out the front gate and they slammed it behind me. I was the last person in the park though, so I can't blame them.

I did find out that the days where they only have 1 parade and it goes from IASW to Main St., they try to get people out as fast as possible because they have to wait until the gates are closed before they can take all the floats back to IASW. There can be as many as 50 cast members sitting around waiting for the last guest to leave so they can do their job. That's a lot of payroll dollars waiting on my stupid *** to leave.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Not every officer is the same. Some are cool, some are not. They seem to interpret the rules differently.

I really do wish you luck with the large tripods. The more pro you look tho, the more likely they will approach you.

If you can do at least one thing, that is to please please not walk around with it fully extended. They hate that and an accident is waiting to happen with little kids.

Good luck guys.
    Last edited by orbitalpunk; 10-18-2010 at 02:47 AM.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Frozen lemonade addict!

Shortly after I purchased my camera, before I knew the tripod rules, I brought my full sized tripod. It was a about 5 1/2 ft tall when fully open. It was in its own bag and the guard told me that I would have to talk to guest relations to see if I could bring it in. Long story short, the runner who was supposed to walk there said eff it and just let me go.

Needless to say I know that I was lucky and was super careful to not be obnoxious with it and I never used it on a sidewalk or a major walk way.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/

• Minion

10-18-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is about special events at Disneyland, in particular Mickey’s Halloween Party.

There are many reasons to shell out the extra cash and attend a special event like the Halloween Party. For most people, it’s the lure of going in costume, all the candy you can carry, the small crowd and almost no wait for attractions, or just the overall party atmosphere.

For me, it was the opportunity of getting pictures that I can’t normally get. Don’t get me wrong, I had a great time at the party, but I didn’t go after bags full of candy or dance in Club Skellington or run around showing off my costume. (Only one person figured out that my No Ma’am shirt meant I was Al Bundy.)

I spent my time taking pictures of the overall ambiance and special mood that Disneyland gives the park for such events. As a photography enthusiast, that was the exciting thing for me. I’ve been perusing all the wonderful trip reports and pictures that people have been posting of the Halloween Party and have been getting a real kick out of seeing all the costumes and the great time that people had. What I haven’t seen very many pictures of is the park itself.

Since this thread is about photography, I figured I would show a few reasons why a photo taking buff like myself would want to spend the money and attend a special event such as the Halloween Party.

Once the party started the first thing that caught my attention was the fog machines around the Rivers of America. I ran over there with the same vigor and excitement that a 5 year old has seeing Mickey Mouse for the first time.

My favorite shot of the night!

It was a cold and drizzly night and most people were wearing ponchos, so I didn’t even try to take any pictures of people in costume, save for the one family that asked me to. This also made it somewhat difficult to take a lot of the pictures that I would have normally taken. I was really excited about seeing the special Halloween Screams Fireworks, so I grabbed a good spot, mounted my trusty tripod and awaited the spectacle. Unfortunately, the blow up projection screen wasn’t working that night so we lost that part of the show. And even more unfortunately for me, two people jumped up on the sidewalk right in front of me just seconds before the show started. I had to raise my camera a bit but every picture still has two heads in it. ARRGH!!!
    The Test Shots…

Fireworks…

The Backside of the Castle…

Mickey lanterns light the way.

When exiting the park, I just had to grab a picture of the lighting effects on the train station.

So if you are like me, (since you are reading this, you most likely are) and the lure of that one of a kind special photo is the trophy you seek, make sure to attend Mickey’s Halloween Party. You might just bag a keeper.

Happy Snapping
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 10-23-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Great fireworks shots!!! Could you share your settings (exif info) for some of those?
    - Bobd

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    Great fireworks shots!!! Could you share your settings (exif info) for some of those?
    For the majority of my fireworks shots, I use a .6 Neutral Density filter. I set the camera to Aperture Priority, then choose an aperture the fits for how close I am to the Castle. For the above shots, I was across the street and on the sidewalk.
    My aperture was F/9
    I set the ISO to 100 and use a remote control for the shutter. With the Aperture set and the ISO set to 100, I let the camera decide how long to keep the shutter open. It will vary depending upon how bright the bursts are. Some will be as short as 6 seconds, all the way up to 25 seconds. As soon as the shutter closes from one shot, I push the button again and just keep doing that throughout the entire show. Out of the 40 or so shots that I take, I might get 5 or 6 that I like.

I do get some that are over exposed but I'm shooting in RAW so I can go in and lower the exposure and increase the blacks to darken the sky.

I want to get a shutter release cord so I can hold it open for as long as I want to, but just haven't done it yet.

Hope that helps.