Page 42 of 158 FirstFirst ... 173239404142434445526792142 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by dlandjimmy View Post
    Don't forget, we also have the highly allusive, but oh so intriguing 50mm f/1.0. It will run you double what the f/1.2 costs, but it's out there.
    I'm thinking of getting the 85mm F/1.2 for the photo meet. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any tips?
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the 85mm F/1.2 for the photo meet. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any tips?
    I have never even seen one. The 50mm 1.4 has razor thin DOF, I cannot even imagine how thin the area of focus must be at 1.2. I do own the 85mm 1.8 and I love it. However, I have never tried using it in a dark ride.

You all had better put together some trip reports from this meet. Those of us who cannot attend are very jealous.
    - Bobd

• Minion

11-3-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” will be Part 3 in our ongoing Dark Ride posts. Although today’s subject technically isn’t considered a “Dark Ride”, it poses the exact same challenges that the other Dark Rides do. The Grand Canyon and Primeval World dioramas are very difficult to photograph well because you are moving at a pretty fast pace, the lighting changes from scene to scene and the subjects are behind glass.

By using the same high speed, large aperture prime lens and the same camera settings that I used for the first Dark Ride post on Pirates of the Caribbean, I was able to capture sharp, well lit photos from every scene in the diorama. Even though there is much brighter lighting in the diorama than there is in Pirates, the train is moving much faster than the boats are. I kept the ISO at 6400 so I could get the fastest shutter speed possible.

Just to refresh; the lens is a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. The camera was set on Manual Mode, Metering Mode was on Evaluative so I gathered light from the entire scene, White balance was on Auto, ISO was 6400, Aperture was f/1.8, and I left the shutter speed as the adjustable setting so I could just turn the dial to change the speed to where it was properly exposed. As always I was shooting in RAW mode so I could adjust the Color Temperature in the computer and get the best noise reduction results.

For most of these I will show the original photos so you can see how much noise there was as well as what the lighting looked like originally. Below each one will be the image after noise reduction, sharpening, adjusting the color temperature and any other minor editing. (I deleted a few of the originals, so you will only see the final) I will probably go into the final images again and do another round of noise reduction, I just didn't have time last night.

Shutter Speed 1/500

Shutter speed 1/1000 (for some reason I deleted the original, so this is the final image)

Shutter Speed 1/400 (this is also the final image)

Speed 1/60

Speed 1/200 This is also the final image because there was hardly any difference.

Speed 1/320

For the final, I had to drop the color temperature down to 2500

Speed 1/250 This is the final image that I also had to drop the color temp to 2500.

Speed 1/100

The color temp was 3000 and I also went into the color channels and adjusted the Red down a little bit.

Speed 1/60

Same as above, I dropped the color temp to 3000 and adjusted the red channel down.

In the past, I have achieved pretty decent photos of the dioramas using my Kit Lens at f/3.5 as well as with my Point & Shoot Camera but they aren’t as sharp or as good as the ones above.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    I have never even seen one. The 50mm 1.4 has razor thin DOF, I cannot even imagine how thin the area of focus must be at 1.2. I do own the 85mm 1.8 and I love it. However, I have never tried using it in a dark ride.

You all had better put together some trip reports from this meet. Those of us who cannot attend are very jealous.
    I'm sure there will be at least 7 or 8 trip reports and they will all look alike except for the person taking the picture will change.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I'm sure there will be at least 7 or 8 trip reports and they will all look alike except for the person taking the picture will change.
    Or it might be kind of a cool idea to combine some of our shots in one thread, along with some of the ideas that we were kicking around.

Either way, I'm good.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Or it might be kind of a cool idea to combine some of our shots in one thread, along with some of the ideas that we were kicking around.

Either way, I'm good.
    I like it!

I was also thinking about doing something like a jackpot for the best photo, kind of like you would do on a fishing boat. All of us put 5 bucks or so into a pot, we buy a Disney Gift Card with it, and then each of us post our 1 favorite photo from that trip and the members of Micechat vote on their favorite. The photo that gets the most votes wins the gift card and the title of King of the Photo Geeks. Then again, if Andy Castro shows up, we can just give him the money and call it a day.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

I like it!

I was also thinking about doing something like a jackpot for the best photo, kind of like you would do on a fishing boat. All of us put 5 bucks or so into a pot, we buy a Disney Gift Card with it, and then each of us post our 1 favorite photo from that trip and the members of Micechat vote on their favorite. The photo that gets the most votes wins the gift card and the title of King of the Photo Geeks. Then again, if Andy Castro shows up, we can just give him the money and call it a day.
    True dat. Andy's an animal. I think the contest is a great idea too. Hopefully it will generate more interest in upcoming meets!

And thanks again, Hot Sauce, for getting this off of the ground, and for your continued tutorials. I wish this thread had been around in 2005. You would have saved me quite a load of cash in books and magazines.

• Minion

True dat. Andy's an animal. I think the contest is a great idea too. Hopefully it will generate more interest in upcoming meets!

And thanks again, Hot Sauce, for getting this off of the ground, and for your continued tutorials. I wish this thread had been around in 2005. You would have saved me quite a load of cash in books and magazines.
    I just mentioned on the Photo Meet thread that I'm sure we will do another one pretty soon and that it would be on a Sunday so people who couldn't do a weekday would be able to attend. Hopefully Andy would be able to do a Sunday. (possibly in January, if I don't go to Disney World for a week) Then again, I'd still go to Disneyland in January too.

Believe me, if I had been doing this in 2005, it would have been with my old Olympus camera and every picture would have just been black or of the ground. That thing had about a 5 second lag time between pressing the shutter and it taking the picture. Almost every shot with it is of my feet because I got so fed up waiting for it that I would put the camera down and then it would take the picture.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Your right about IASW, but I don't really consider it a dark ride. Its a lit ride. haha...

You can get a few shots on pirates at 2.8, like the captains quarters or the pile of gold, but ISO has to go up, and I print my stuff at 17x22 on my printer so I basically have to judge my results at 100% crop. No hiding there. I was also considering dark rides in Fantasyland as well. Fast moving and darrrrrrk. I guess its a matter of preference is all. I've been limiting my ISO this year so that my 100% crops are better. so a 2.8 would be the death of me .

btw, your exif says you shot at f1.4. Also, im pretty sure you could get away with 1/80 or even try 1/60 on that 50mil. either way, i like it

OP - I think it depends on WHICH dark rides and which parts of those rides. I don't think most people would get much at all on HM with a 2.8 and I usually find it tough with a 1.4. But on Pirates, you can usually get away with a bit more depending on how fast that boat is moving and if you get lucky with getting the shot before the inevitable bump from behind. I got this with the 105/2.8 last year:

And IASW is usually pretty easy shooting at 3.5 and above as I've had both wide lenses in there a number of times with pretty good results as that boat is slow and the place is well lit.

But I agree that as a rule, 1.4 and 1.8 are usually the way to go.

And you CANON people get that 1.2!! How is THAT fair??

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

there is one flaw to it. focus speed is slow slow slow. Its not a USM. Even on the series II. Canon really needs to fix that. But I understand why. Its has so much glass that its heavy. A USM can't pull that much glass fast enough be consider USM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Believe me, if I had been doing this in 2005, it would have been with my old Olympus camera and every picture would have just been black or of the ground. That thing had about a 5 second lag time between pressing the shutter and it taking the picture. Almost every shot with it is of my feet because I got so fed up waiting for it that I would put the camera down and then it would take the picture.
    2005 is when I started. Wow, i was using a Nikon D70 and then a Canon Rebel and then back to a Canon 20D. haha..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Your right about IASW, but I don't really consider it a dark ride. Its a lit ride. haha...

You can get a few shots on pirates at 2.8, like the captains quarters or the pile of gold, but ISO has to go up, and I print my stuff at 17x22 on my printer so I basically have to judge my results at 100% crop. No hiding there. I was also considering dark rides in Fantasyland as well. Fast moving and darrrrrrk. I guess its a matter of preference is all. I've been limiting my ISO this year so that my 100% crops are better. so a 2.8 would be the death of me .

btw, your exif says you shot at f1.4. Also, im pretty sure you could get away with 1/80 or even try 1/60 on that 50mil. either way, i like it
    GAH! You're absolutely right! I shot Pirates three times on July 7 last Summer and I THOUGHT I was still looking at the 105, 2.8 batch.

My bad...

I shot THIS with the 105, 2.8....

And it would have been better lit if I had remembered to set the exposure bias back to 0 rather than -1.00. What kind of nut takes shots on Pirates with his exposure bias set to -1.00??

I am ashamed.

But that's fairly typical for me. I get all proud of myself if I remember to reset the ISO after shooting at 3200, but I'll walk around for three weeks with my exposure bias set to -1.00.

But you're also right about the Fantasyland dark rides. To this day, I still have no decent shots of Peter Pan. It COULD be because I haven't been on it in two years due to the lines, but the last time I gave it a try with my 1.4, I got ZERO shots worth keeping.

I also can't imagine having anything worth keeping with a printed photo at 17x22. I would get KILLED with noise with something that large off of Pirates. I suppose it doesn't hurt having a Canon 5d Mark II either while you're shooting with your 1.4. I look at your shots that you get without a tripod and I just drool.

Maybe some day....
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-04-2010 at 06:00 AM.

• Minion

GAH! You're absolutely right! I shot Pirates three times on July 7 last Summer and I THOUGHT I was still looking at the 105, 2.8 batch.

My bad...

I shot THIS with the 105, 2.8....

And it would have been better lit if I had remembered to set the exposure bias back to 0 rather than -1.00. What kind of nut takes shots on Pirates with his exposure bias set to -1.00??

I am ashamed.

But that's fairly typical for me. I get all proud of myself if I remember to reset the ISO after shooting at 3200, but I'll walk around for three weeks with my exposure bias set to -1.00.

But you're also right about the Fantasyland dark rides. To this day, I still have no decent shots of Peter Pan. It COULD be because I haven't been on it in two years due to the lines, but the last time I gave it a try with my 1.4, I got ZERO shots worth keeping.

I also can't imagine having anything worth keeping with a printed photo at 17x22. I would get KILLED with noise with something that large off of Pirates. I suppose it doesn't hurt having a Canon 5d Mark II either while you're shooting with your 1.4. I look at your shots that you get without a tripod and I just drool.

Maybe some day....
    Don't you just get so mad at yourself when you forget to check your settings and lose shots because of it. After trying and trying and trying to get a Tender Ride, I finally got my chance and had my exposure set to -1.00 too. I got 2 decent shots out of the 50 or so that I took. I also find myself taking pictures after coming out of dark rides and forgetting that my ISO is at 6400 and all I get is a white screen. I feel like such an idiot when I do that.

I've been looking at your pictures, and honestly you have left me awstruck EACH TIME! i love hwo you photography the colors, the angles, the everthing! lol i went to disneyland yesterday with my camera Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51THKreO3bL.@@AMEPARAM@@51THKreO3bL and i had you in mind the entire time on how to take pics, its a new camera and im not used to it. I really don't know what settings to use for what, so let's see i probably got one good picture. lol

what is your advice on how to use the camera above? for example i tried taking a pic of the seagulls at night yesterday and i zoomed in with flash and everything, when i looked back they were completley dark, couldnt even see them

please help! lol

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie89 View Post
    I've been looking at your pictures, and honestly you have left me awstruck EACH TIME! i love hwo you photography the colors, the angles, the everthing! lol i went to disneyland yesterday with my camera Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more and i had you in mind the entire time on how to take pics, its a new camera and im not used to it. I really don't know what settings to use for what, so let's see i probably got one good picture. lol

what is your advice on how to use the camera above? for example i tried taking a pic of the seagulls at night yesterday and i zoomed in with flash and everything, when i looked back they were completley dark, couldnt even see them

please help! lol
    Hi Lizzie,

I have the exact same camera and I know exactly how you feel when you first get it. You think that you are going to be able to get all the great shots and that it should be easy to get them. Unfortunately, it is far from the reality of what happens.

I am assuming that you are talking about the seagulls on the bouy in Nemo Lagoon.

There are a few mistakes you made in shooting those at night.
    1. The on camera flash will only travel about 12 feet and they are farther away than that. Using the flash makes the shutter close much faster, so the camera didn't get enough light to expose the entire scene properly.
    2. Even if you had the camera set to the largest aperture possible, when you zoomed in on them, it decreased the size of the aperture (letting in less light) to a maximum size of 5.6 which can make it tough to shoot without a tripod.

For a shot of those seagulls at night, the best thing would have been to set the camera to Aperture Priority (AV) set the aperture to the largest possible size of 3.5. You can zoom in on them which will decrease the aperture to 5.6 which is not a problem. Set the ISO to Auto and set the camera on a rock or railing or anything that holds its weight so you aren't holding it. DO NOT use the flash. Press the shutter half way down so the camera will focus and gather the information it needs, then press the shutter. The camera will decide how long the shutter needs to stay open to properly expose the entire image.

Depending upon how much of the background you want in the scene, such as the submarines and the loading area, you could set the Aperture to something like a 7.1 or smaller (smaller aperture + larger number). This will bring more of the background into focus but it does mean the shutter will be open longer so having the camera on something steady is even more important.

There is another thing to do on your camera to improve it's performance at Disneyland. Check the manual and change the setting to a custom setting.
    I chose the Standard setting then adjusted the Saturation up 2 notches and the Sharpness up 1 notch. I found that this gave me better color and sharpness than the standard camera settings.

Hope this helps.

Mike