Page 46 of 158 FirstFirst ... 213643444546474849567196146 ... LastLast

• Frozen lemonade addict!

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

I had a great time on Wed with everyone. I unfortunately lost the battle with a cold on Wed night. Those shots came out great! I with I could have been there on Thursday with everyone.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/
    http://jjhernandez.smugmug.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Nice that you got a picture of the attendant. They are always very nice and usually get overlooked.
    She was really sweet and extremely photogenic. Personally, I think the pictures of her are better than the ones of the Fairies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    It looks like somebody was having a good time with his new prime lens. Fantastic shots!
    Oh yes I was... I still have to find the sweet spot on it, but I'll have fun trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken_Monk View Post
    I had a great time on Wed with everyone. I unfortunately lost the battle with a cold on Wed night. Those shots came out great! I with I could have been there on Thursday with everyone.
    We wish you could have been there too. It was a blast, as I'm sure you will see by everyones pictures.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

I saw you guys all setup for the parade Wednesday. How was that spot? I find that the lighting is kind of patchy pretty much everywhere else, even small world mall.

Also, were you guys in the hub for the fireworks Thursday? If so, did you see that proposal on the drawbridge afterward?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Raindown View Post
    I saw you guys all setup for the parade Wednesday. How was that spot? I find that the lighting is kind of patchy pretty much everywhere else, even small world mall.

Also, were you guys in the hub for the fireworks Thursday? If so, did you see that proposal on the drawbridge afterward?
    You should have stopped by and joined us. That spot on Main St. worked out ok because we found a very small hole between the light posts so we didn't have huge balls of light in our lenses. It threw us off guard that day because the parade bagan on Main St. and headed towards Small World. I know the best spots if it comes the other way. We figured on Thursday it would come from Small World and head down Main St, so we picked a good spot for that and it started on Main St. again. As soon as Tiki and I saw the first float and all the spot lights shining right at us, we bailed and grabbed a spot right in front of the Partners Statue for the fireworks. I'm bummed I missed the proposal. I would have LOVED to photograph that.

• Minion

Today's post will be done late tonight. I am paying the price here at work for having two weekdays off and am slammed. Hopefully I'll have it up before 2 am.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Sorry I missed you guys on the way out. I wanted to thank you again for getting the idea off of the ground and for organizing the day. As soon as I heard the announcement about the parade coming back the other way, I knew you two were probably long gone. I'm looking forward to seeing shots of the meet, and I hope someone gets a group thread going soon!

• Minion

11-20-10
    In today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day”, we journey to a galaxy far, far away and take a look at the Jedi Training Academy. Even though this would be considered an attraction for children, it is very entertaining for adults, even those without children.

On our Mice Chat Photo Meet the other day, Mac Daddy, Tiki, Awaflyboy and I watched the show and took an obscene amount of pictures.

If you plan on taking pictures of this show, there are a few tips that you should keep in mind before you go.
    1. The two characters the children do battle with are Darth Vader (on the upper stage) and Darth Maul on the ground floor. As you are facing the stage, both of those characters are on the left hand side of the stage and the children are all on the right.
    2. If you have children that want to be a Jedi in Training, you need to get there about 30 minutes before the show starts and be on the ground floor in front of the stage. They choose an equal amount of children from each side of the stage.
    3. If you are planning on having children in the show and you want to photograph them doing battle with the forces from the Dark Side, you need to position yourself on the Left side of the entry walkway so you can be facing them and see their expressions. My personal opinion is to be as close as you can to the entry way but on the left side of it.
    4. If you do not have children and are trying to get photos of Vader and Darth Maul, position yourself on the Right side of the stage so you can see their faces.
    5. For close up shots of Darth Vader or Darth Maul or your own Jedi Youngling, a zoom lens or a Point & Shoot with a good zooming capability is a must.
    6. Darth Maul makes some fantastic facial expressions that make for really dramatic photos. The best time to capture those expressions is in between the children he fights, right before he goes in to attack them. At that moment is when he gives some kind of grimace or growl and is standing still, just long enough for you to grab a shot.
    Here are some images from the show the other day.

I also found some adorable little kids to photograph and had a lot of fun watching their faces.
    This little boy was concentrating so hard and had a blast.

This little girl was so cute with her face painting that I just had to take a few pictures of her.

I think everyone there couldn’t take their eyes off of this little Jedi Princess.

Even the other cast members who work the show were very photogenic and made for some great photos.

So the next time you are in Tomorrowland, take the time to enjoy the Jedi Training Academy. I guarantee you will not only have a great time, you will get some great photos as well.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Minion

11-21-10
    Since I missed doing one of my daily posts last week while I was at Disneyland, I figured I would make up for it with one today. In “Today’s Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day”, I wanted to show you one of the new tools called CONTENT AWARE available in the newly released Photoshop Elements 9, which in my opinion is well worth the money. Until Elements 9, Content Aware was only available in the full version of Photoshop, which will run you over $600.00.

I’ve been using Elements 8, and normally wouldn’t upgrade to the newest version of a program simply because there usually isn’t much new that makes me think it is worth spending more money on, at least for a few years and a few more upgrades. However, when I heard that Elements 9 had CONTENT AWARE along with a few other new tools, I had to have it. Fortunately it is on sale at Costco (until November 28th) for $49.99. A STEAL!!!

For those of you wondering what the big difference is between Photoshop Elements and the full version of Photoshop CS 5 is; Elements will do about 95% of what CS 5 will do, only it is in a much easier and more intuitive package that is designed for the general public. I recently listened to a podcast with a person from Photoshop and she even said that for anyone who is only doing photo editing and not intensive graphic design, there was no reason to buy CS 5.

CONTENT AWARE is an amazing tool for getting rid of unwanted objects in a photograph. It is attached to the Spot Healing Brush and has the ability to analyze the surrounding pixels in a photo and recreate what should have been in the image if whatever you are trying to get rid of wasn’t there.

To show you what Content Aware can do, I will use this picture I took on the Storybook Land Canal Boats the other day. All of us Mice Chat photo geeks were jockeying for position trying to photograph the ride. I was towards the back of the boat and this is one of the photos that I took. In most cases, this would end up being deleted and the shot is lost.

I opened it in Elements 9 and used the Spot Healing Brush and just painted over the hand. This is what it looked like after doing that one time.

I wasn’t happy with how it came out, but it looked like it was getting close. I painted over it one more time and here is the result.

To put this into perspective of how powerful Content Aware is as compared to just the Spot Healing Brush that is in Elements 8, I did the same treatment in Elements 8 and here is the first result.

I gave it one more attempt and this is the result. As you can see, it had no chance of repairing that photo and it would still be deleted.

For a video demonstration showing some different examples of Content Aware in Photoshop Elements 9, check out this video. (it is what sold me on it)
    Alibony Videos - Lesson 49: Content-Aware Healing in Photoshop Elements 9

I can't wait to give Content Aware a shot at removing strollers from a picture, and then possibly even people. Imagine it, photos of Disneyland with no people in them. (I can always dream can't I?)

There are other tools in the new Elements 9 such as Perfect Portrait that also make it worth the money. I will walk you through that new tool in an upcoming post.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

Awesome demonstration of PS Elements 9!!!!!!! I want it now!!!!! ROFL

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kangel View Post
    Awesome demonstration of PS Elements 9!!!!!!! I want it now!!!!! ROFL
    Just wait till I show the lesson on Perfect Portrait. Then you will run out and buy it. It is on sale at Costco until the 28th for $49.99.

• Minion

11-23-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is for lack of a better title going to be called Don’t Give Up.

During our Mice Chat Photo Meet the other day, we planned on photographing the fireworks from the Rivers of America with the Mark Twain all lit, the fireworks directly above it and their reflections on the water. It was our attempt to recreate Mac Dadddy’s fabulous shots from his previous photo shoots.

All was going well; we were all set up with our cameras on tripods along the river bank ready for the show to start. Much to our frustration and disappointment, they shut off the lights on the Mark Twain and the dock right as the show began.

After our collective swearing and groaning, we kept shooting the fireworks anyway, even though we were tempted to grab our gear and run for the hub. I figured that they would turn the lights back on after the show so I said to keep shooting and to not move your cameras after the show. It was important to keep the camera in the same spot and the settings all the same. This way we could wait for the lights to come back on and take pictures of the Mark Twain with the lights on and merge the two photos together in the computer. Of course I had no idea how I was going to do that, but I knew I could figure it out eventually.

Here is the photo of the Fireworks with a dark Mark Twain and loading dock.

This is the photo of the boat with the lights on.

And after about 30 minutes in Photoshop Elements, I figured out the easiest way to merge the two together. There might be a better way to do it but this is what worked for me. I used the beginning technique from the lesson on replacing a dreary sky and laid the fireworks photo on top of the Mark Twain photo. Then I used the same techniques as in the Selective Spot Color lesson where I created a clipping mask and then painted over the Mark Twain with a brush tool to reveal the image underneath. For the area where the two reflections overlapped, I lowered the opacity of the brush and went over the area back and forth, changing the opacity until it looked smooth and seamless.
    Here is the final photo.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5042/...6e3985_b_d.jpg

I’ve done one other photo so far and have a few other nice fireworks shots to merge. When I have more time, I will go through the process in a step by step method for you.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/...10e94a_b_d.jpg

So if you plan on taking certain photographs and things don’t work out the way you planned, don’t give up, there is usually a way you can make lemons into lemonade.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    11-23-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is for lack of a better title going to be called Don’t Give Up.

During our Mice Chat Photo Meet the other day, we planned on photographing the fireworks from the Rivers of America with the Mark Twain all lit, the fireworks directly above it and their reflections on the water. It was our attempt to recreate Mac Dadddy’s fabulous shots from his previous photo shoots.

All was going well; we were all set up with our cameras on tripods along the river bank ready for the show to start. Much to our frustration and disappointment, they shut off the lights on the Mark Twain and the dock right as the show began.

After our collective swearing and groaning, we kept shooting the fireworks anyway, even though we were tempted to grab our gear and run for the hub. I figured that they would turn the lights back on after the show so I said to keep shooting and to not move your cameras after the show. It was important to keep the camera in the same spot and the settings all the same. This way we could wait for the lights to come back on and take pictures of the Mark Twain with the lights on and merge the two photos together in the computer. Of course I had no idea how I was going to do that, but I knew I could figure it out eventually.

And after about 30 minutes in Photoshop Elements, I figured out the easiest way to merge the two together. There might be a better way to do it but this is what worked for me. I used the beginning technique from the lesson on replacing a dreary sky and laid the fireworks photo on top of the Mark Twain photo. Then I used the same techniques as in the Selective Spot Color lesson where I created a clipping mask and then painted over the Mark Twain with a brush tool to reveal the image underneath. For the area where the two reflections overlapped, I lowered the opacity of the brush and went over the area back and forth, changing the opacity until it looked smooth and seamless.
    Here is the final photo.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5042/...6e3985_b_d.jpg

I’ve done one other photo so far and have a few other nice fireworks shots to merge. When I have more time, I will go through the process in a step by step method for you.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/...10e94a_b_d.jpg

So if you plan on taking certain photographs and things don’t work out the way you planned, don’t give up, there is usually a way you can make lemons into lemonade.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

Glad you were able to pull that off, Hot Sauce! I like the first one, but the second one is MONEY! Nice save, and God bless the one who suggested that we not take our tripods down and get a shot of the Twain after the lights came back up. Brilliant thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    , and God bless the one who suggested that we not take our tripods down and get a shot of the Twain after the lights came back up. Brilliant thinking!
    The lovely appearing / disappearing thing shot for movies. For those of you who want to make someone or something fade in or out of a shot in a movie you are making, lock that camera down, shoot the person or thing there and not there, then edit the dissolve in.

Great shots of the Jedi Training Hot Suace.

• Following the Second Star

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    7-26-10

This is one of my favorites because it really has that turn of the century feel.
    I felt the need to apologize for what's going on in this picture...cause I sort of contributed to a nice pictures of the Dans doing what they do best by making them laugh...a lot. Drew (not pictured) stole my camera and made them all laugh, so instead of getting a picture of them singing you got a picture of Jon almost falling over he's laughing so much. Heh...sorry

Cammie Dog: 3/27/05-6/28/09 God took you way too soon Protect your dog from heat stroke. It attacks and kills quickly.

Just another couple words on buying PE9 at Costco - there is also a coupon included in the packaging for 100 free digital 4x6 prints - a $13.00 value - so the price breaks down - $79.99 price as marked - $30.00 instant rebate - $13.00 free 4x6 coupon = $36.00 - a great program for a great price.

Kimickey