Page 47 of 157 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849505797147 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimickey View Post
    Just another couple words on buying PE9 at Costco - there is also a coupon included in the packaging for 100 free digital 4x6 prints - a $13.00 value - so the price breaks down - $79.99 price as marked - $30.00 instant rebate - $13.00 free 4x6 coupon = $36.00 - a great program for a great price.

Kimickey
    Of course being the guy that I am, I just tore into the box, grabbed the program and installed it. I never even saw the coupon. THANKS for letting me know!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

11-24-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” takes a look at the Christmas Fantasy Parade and a few tips to get better pictures of it.

First off, I am of the strong opinion that if you are watching any parade from Main St., you have to watch it from the West side of the street. If it is a daytime parade, from the west side, the sun is on the characters in the parade and you are in the shade, giving the best light for photographing it.

If it is a night time parade, the spot lights along the parade route make it extremely difficult to take a picture without a bright light shining right into your camera. However, there are a few holes in the lighting where you can position yourself and get a clean picture. I could not find any holes in the lights while standing on the East side of the street.

The most important thing to do before picking your spot for the parade is to ask a cast member working the crowd control which direction the parade is coming from. We were lucky last Wednesday that CM Husband found out the parade was going the opposite direction than what we thought it was going to be and were able to find a the small hole in the lighting. Unfortunately when Tiki and I tried to photograph it on Thursday night, we thought for sure that it would be coming from IASW. We grabbed a spot in front of City Hall so we could catch them coming directly at us and have the Christmas tree in the background. As soon as the first float came out from behind the Opera House, we looked at it there were so many spot lights coming right at us that we both knew it would be impossible to photograph from there. We both decided to bail on the parade and stake out our spot for the fireworks instead. (Hence the need for asking the CM where it is coming from)

If it is coming from It’s a Small World and heading down Main St, the best spot to position yourself is dead center, directly in front of the Penny Arcade. There is also a light post and trashcan about 8 feet to your left that is a great spot to shoot from. The beauty of photographing the parade from Main St is there is the strongest concentration of light shining on the parade and there is all the little the popcorn lights on the buildings in the background of your pictures.

If the parade is coming from behind the opera house and heading up Main St towards the castle, the place to be is directly across from the south side of the Main St. Cinema.

Other important factors for getting good pictures of the parade are Aperture, Shutter Speed and a few other camera settings. Normally I have the Saturation on my camera set 2 notches higher than center. For the night time parade however, there is so much colored light on the subjects that the Saturation needs to be turned back down to Center. If not, everyone either looks purple, yellow or red.

The Shutter Speed needs to be a minimum of 1/60th of a second to keep the subject sharp and not blurry.
    Set your aperture as large as you can to allow the fastest shutter speed possible without having to crank the ISO way up. I was using my new 50mm F/1.4 lens which is a huge aperture. I wanted to see how it would perform so I kept the set the camera to Aperture Priority and kept the Aperture at F/1.6. I set the ISO on Auto and let the camera decide the best shutter speed. Depending upon the size of the subject, the ISO averaged about 400 and the shutter speed was anywhere from 1/50 to 1/100. Most of the photos where the speed was 1/50 were a little bit blurry. Most parades have breaks in the music or moments where the music comes to a crescendo, which is when the characters freeze for a second and strike a pose. That would normally be the best time to take a picture, but the Christmas Parade is basically one track of music playing over and over again and they never stop moving. This makes it even harder to get a clean, crisp shot.

Here are some of the photos that I took the other night when we had a good spot. I had to turn down the saturation on all of them as well as do some sharpening and contrast adjustment.

You may have noticed that there are no pictuers of the floats. I was sitting on the curb for the entire parade in an attempt to eliminate the people on the other side of the street from being in the photo. From that low of a vantage point, I couldn't get any good shots of the characters on the floats. Every one had a railing or something right across their faces. Next time I will be standing for it so I can get pictures of the floats.

So in conclusion, find out which way the parade is heading and grab the appropriate spot to enjoy the parade.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Future Disney Imagineer

These pictures are absolutely beautiful. Better than, dare I say it, in person. The Tin Soldier picture are my favorite. The contrast is bright and vibrant.

• ohai

The ones of the parade are amazing! I love how you focused them... they are perfect!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    These pictures are absolutely beautiful. Better than, dare I say it, in person. The Tin Soldier picture are my favorite. The contrast is bright and vibrant.
    Thank you. The Tin Soldiers and the ballerina are my favorites too.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    The ones of the parade are amazing! I love how you focused them... they are perfect!
    THANK YOU! I was using a new 50mm F/1.4 lens that is really fast in low light and razor sharp.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very nice parade photos indeed, perfectly clear and sharp...well done HotSauce. Now, I just keep waiting to see a Haunted Mansion post/photo set from you heh Personal preference in that case of course, and it is tricky to photograph (know that one from experience). Thanks for updating this awesome thread and the great photos and advice.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Very nice parade photos indeed, perfectly clear and sharp...well done HotSauce. Now, I just keep waiting to see a Haunted Mansion post/photo set from you heh Personal preference in that case of course, and it is tricky to photograph (know that one from experience). Thanks for updating this awesome thread and the great photos and advice.
    Believe it or not, I didn't even see the Haunted Manion in both days. I never got past New Orleans Square, which really disappoints me.

I'm a haunted mansion nut and will have some photos I shot posted over in this thread soon:

Photo Meet Highlights...

I think you will like them
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• Minion

11-27-10
    In “Today’s Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” we blur the lines between in and out of focus by examining Bokeh.

In photographic terms, the Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur that makes up the out of focus portions of a photo. Bokeh reflects the shape and number of diaphragm blades in the lens and that helps determine the way out of focus points of light are rendered in an image. It is also a result of spherical aberration that affects how the light is collected in the lens.

Bokeh is the most visible on small background highlights such as light sources. The light source doesn’t have to just be small lights like you see on Main St, it can also be sunlight peeking through the leaves of a tree.

Most people that are into photography prefer their images to have sharper foregrounds and softer background. A fuzzy or blurry foreground seems unnatural to the eye and is uncomfortable to look at.

There is such a thing as “Good Bokeh” and “Bad Bokeh”, although that is really one of those “In the eye of the beholder” type of judgments.

Bad Bokeh would be referred to as a circle with a hard edge and the center of the circle would be dim, with the outer edge being brighter, looking like a doughnut or the opening of a balloon.

Natural Bokeh would be a perfect and evenly lit blur circle but that still isn’t considered to be very good because the edges are still well defined. Out of focus objects such as points of light or lines can create sharp lines in the photo due to the edges of a sharp blur circle. Most modern lenses are designed to be as perfect as possible, so this is the most common type of Bokeh you see.

Good Bokeh has an undefined edge to the blur circle and the circles would blend together smoothly.

Here are some examples of Bokeh in different strengths. You can decide for yourself if they are good or bad. Personally, I don’t have much of an opinion of good or bad, one way or another.

This one is some beautiful bokeh in my opinion, even though the edges are well defined.

These shots, taken with the same lens as the two photos above, are some of the smoothest bokeh I've ever seen.

Some things to know about Bokeh;
    Bokeh rendering isn’t the same in all situations. Some lenses are better than others in certain situations and worse than others in some situations, as evidenced in the photos above.
    Longer focal distances, such as those with a zoom lens improve bokeh characteristics.
    Larger apertures don’t necessarily improve the quality of the bokeh but they do give you a shallower depth of field and more blur in an image.
    It is possible to achieve Bokeh with a point and shoot camera but it isn’t easy. As soon as I get a chance to actually make that work, I will post how it is done. (I’ve done it but the picture was pretty blurry)

Sources: Canon EOS Digital Field Guide by Charlotte K. Lowrie and Bokeh by Ken Rockwell, www.kenrockwell.com

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 11-27-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Another excellent tutorial HotSauce. And your examples are always spot on. I think everyone who reads these appreciates the time and effort you put into them.
    Died in 1720 ya know...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Another excellent tutorial HotSauce. And your examples are always spot on. I think everyone who reads these appreciates the time and effort you put into them.
    Thanks TIKI. This one was a lot of work. I had to read several very long and very scientific articles about bokeh and most of them were somewhat contradicting to each other. There was so much stuff about blades and diaphragms and it kept sailing right over my head. I finally figured that if it was going over my head, I needed to simplify it and leave most of that stuff out. All in all, this post took me about 8 hours to do. (not counting editing photos)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    What he said. Especially when you're often doing this after a long day of bottling that amazing hot sauce of yours. Thanks again for all of your efforts!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    What he said. Especially when you're often doing this after a long day of bottling that amazing hot sauce of yours. Thanks again for all of your efforts!
    That statement is very true, as you can see by the times that I'm often posting them. THANK YOU!

Yeah, Ken Rockwell's article does get rather involved. Did you click the link at the bottom of his article that takes you to the Zeiss article? Now that one gets technical and will make your head hurt.
    Died in 1720 ya know...

How you can share your passion of photography so humbly, with the demands of running a successful business is beyond my ability to suck air. I am in awe. And to do it with such a natural grace. You are a one of a kind treasure.