Page 48 of 158 FirstFirst ... 233845464748495051587398148 ... LastLast

• Elk Grove Chris

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

+10
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Yeah, Ken Rockwell's article does get rather involved. Did you click the link at the bottom of his article that takes you to the Zeiss article? Now that one gets technical and will make your head hurt.
    I did, and it did. I went over it again and again, then came to the conclusion that all that mumbo jumbo wasn't necessary in this forum. I had been wanting to do the post on Bokeh for some time but was dreading all the research so I put it off as long as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by blorgan View Post
    How you can share your passion of photography so humbly, with the demands of running a successful business is beyond my ability to suck air. I am in awe. And to do it with such a natural grace. You are a one of a kind treasure.
    Thank you. It's really just a whole lot of caffeine and very little sleep. I am fortunate however that by working for myself, I can spend an hour at the computer editing photos and I can't get fired.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

11-29-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” takes a step back in time and gives an Antique treatment to our photographs.

Instead of just walking around Disneyland taking pictures of whatever grabs our attention, there are times when you should try and visualize a certain final result for your photos long before you take the picture.

On the Mice Chat Photo Meet a few weeks ago, we decided to visit to Big Thunder Ranch to photograph all the holiday decorations and reindeer. Before I even approached Big Thunder Ranch, I knew that it would be a perfect location for some antique looking photos. Everything there is already supposed to look like it is from the 1850’s, all the old wood textures and earthy color palettes lend themselves beautifully to Sepia tone and Antique treatments. I didn’t want to set the camera to Monochrome because Black & White doesn’t work well for that time period. Most of the time I spent in the ranch was just looking for things that felt like they were something I would see in the old west.

Here is one of the photos from Big Thunder Ranch with an Antique treatment applied to it.

First I have to apologize because the new screen capture program I am trying out doesn’t capture the pop up menus on the screen. (I need to find a better one)
    Here is the original photo.

The first thing I did was to open it in Photoscape.

Then I clicked on the little tan button in the bottom left corner, right under the Home tab and converted it to Sepia tone.

It seems a bit bright to be an old photograph, so I clicked on the Bright, Color tab and in it’s dropdown menu, I chose Darken – Middle.

Next I wanted to make the details stand out a bit more, so I clicked on the Bright, Color tab and then Contrast Enhancement – Middle. This brings out the detail in the wood grain and gives it a little more sharpness.

Then for the final touch, I clicked on the Filter tab and in its dropdown menu, I went to Antique Photo - #7. (there are 7 different choices for the Antique treatment, each one has a different look and feel. For this time period, I like #7 the best)

Here are a few other photos from Big Thunder that I edited the exact same way.

The windows on Main St are also a perfect subject for an Antique treatment.

Indiana Jones and the Jungle Cruise exit are another great location to try this out.

So the next time you are taking pictures at Disneyland, think about where you are, the time period it represents and find subjects to photograph that fit the end result you desire.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

Appreciate so much the time you have taken to detail all the various aspects of photography available to those who enjoy taking pictures at the Happiest Place on Earth! You mentioned looking for a different Screen Capture program. One that I use that I am quite happy with is Screenshot Captor. I believe it will capture the menus you mentioned, as well as allowing all kinds of other manipulations should you desire to do so, and the price is right - FREE!
    Always remember the Disney Magic!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneysMagic View Post
    Appreciate so much the time you have taken to detail all the various aspects of photography available to those who enjoy taking pictures at the Happiest Place on Earth! You mentioned looking for a different Screen Capture program. One that I use that I am quite happy with is Screenshot Captor. I believe it will capture the menus you mentioned, as well as allowing all kinds of other manipulations should you desire to do so, and the price is right - FREE!
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I was just about to download a program that was pretty expensive. It would do all the video capturing I want as well, but it didn't say anything about simple screen captures. I just downloaded this and it's working great, as you will see in tomorrows post.

• Minion

11-30-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” follows yesterday’s post on applying a Sepia Tone and Antique treatment to photos but changes the time frame to the 1960’s.

I was looking through the Disneyland Ephemera of the Day thread by Regions Beyond and loved the look of all those old color photos taken in the 60’s, so I figured a post about how to get that look would be a fun one to show.

Just like Big Thunder Ranch is perfect for Sepia Tone, there are other locations in Disneyland that are ideal for an effect called Agfa. Agfa is a type of film effect that gives a certain color tone to a photo that makes it look exactly like it was shot in the 1960’s. My favorite places for this treatment is the outside of the Tiki Room and parts of Frontierland. When we were photographing the Tiki Garden during the Mice Chat Photo Meet, I knew I wanted to do some Agfa treatment, so I concentrated on finding subjects that would have the look that fit the treatment. Using Photoscape, it is simply a matter of a couple of clicks and your photos will look like they are 50 years old.

We will start by opening the photo in Photoscape.

Next, we click on the Filter Tab and go to Film Effect – Agfa – Middle.

Then we click on the Filter Tab again and click on Antique - #7.

Then just click Save - Save As and save it whatever you want to call it. (don't forget to save it as a jpeg.) Here is the final result.

If you want to make it look like an old attrraction poster or post card, you can add some text to the image as well.

Here are a few others from the Tiki Garden and Frontierland.

This one I used the film treatment Velvia instead of Agfa because I wanted it to look like it was from an old magazine.

It even worked well on the same photo from Big Thunder Ranch that I used for yesterday's lesson.

So now that you know the secrets to making your photos look like they are either 50 or 150 years old, all you have to do is pick an appropriate subject and snap away.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

HotSauce,

And I THANK YOU for bringing Photoscape to my attention. I have downloaded and started playing with it and am very impressed with the myriad of things it can do. Keep up the good work!
    Always remember the Disney Magic!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneysMagic View Post
    HotSauce,

And I THANK YOU for bringing Photoscape to my attention. I have downloaded and started playing with it and am very impressed with the myriad of things it can do. Keep up the good work!
    I love Photoscape too. I still use Photoshop Elements, Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw but for the quick edits and simple fun stuff, Photoscape beats them all at ease of use and speed. The more you play with it, the more fun it gets. The Filter Tab drop down menu has an enormous variety of things to work with. Try the Region Out of Focus selection and play with all of those choices. Another great tool for gray skies or blown out skies is the Graduated Tint tool.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very nice tip and looks like I shall have to give Photoscape a try...also appreciate the shout out,much obliged Great photos as always, and to toss a quick plug: Folks reading this, do give HotSauce1's products a try...they are high quality stuff and very tasty, and I give my recommendation to them in the fullest as a cook and culinary professional.

Wow. Finally got thru all of the pages. What a impressive tutorial. I can't wait for Sunday when I get to go back after so many years.

Thank you HotSauce for the advice.

When is the next time you are in the park? If you happen to be there any day between the the 5th and the 9th and need some family pics I'm sure we can help out. Both of my boys light up any time you point a camera at them. It's like they were born knowing where to look when the cameras come out.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by timbre View Post
    Wow. Finally got thru all of the pages. What a impressive tutorial. I can't wait for Sunday when I get to go back after so many years.

Thank you HotSauce for the advice.

When is the next time you are in the park? If you happen to be there any day between the the 5th and the 9th and need some family pics I'm sure we can help out. Both of my boys light up any time you point a camera at them. It's like they were born knowing where to look when the cameras come out.
    That was a lot of reading. I hope it wasn't too boring or technical.

I'm not sure if I will be able to get back to the park at all in December. I sure hope so. Decmeber is our most hectic month at work, so it is difficult to get a day off. I know I will be there mid January, but having to go for 2 months without a trip to Disneyland is sheer torture.

I can't wait to see your pictures when you return.

• Minion

12-1-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” takes us on a short little boat ride (no not that boat ride) and takes a leisurely voyage through Storybook Land.

On day 2 of the MiceChat Photo Meet, we were strolling through Fantasyland on our way to the other boat ride and Mac Daddy had mentioned that there he wanted to get a specific photo on Storybook Land. The shot he was after was of the Alpine Village with the Matterhorn in the background. I love riding the Storybook Land Canal Boats, so we all decided to give it a shot. It is also a nice ride during the Holidays because they put little Christmas decorations on the houses.

By knowing the layout of the ride, we knew that we would have to be on the right side of the boat to get that specific shot. When it was our turn to board, we would have been the last people on the boat which would have put us on the left side of it, so we let the people behind us go first and waited for the next one. They load the right side of the boat first and that is the best side to be on for taking pictures, so if photography is your goal, make sure you are the first to board so you will be on that side.

Tips for photographing this ride;
    1. The subjects are very close to you, so you need a lens with a short focal distance such as your kit lens. Anything more than 50 mm, will be too close. My focal distances ranged from 20mm to 55mm when I zoomed in on a small detail.
    2. When facing South, you are looking into the sun so the sky will be washed out and white unless you use a Polarizing Filter. When you are looking North, the sky is nice and blue. (as you will see in the photos below)
    3. Set your camera setting to Landscape or Foliage, depending upon your camera. This will give you richer greens and bluer skies. This applies to both DSLR and Point & Shoot cameras.
    4. For beginners, don’t be afraid to have your camera on full auto during the day. There is usually plenty of sunlight and the boat goes slow enough that shutter speed isn’t much of a concern. If the boat is moving somewhat fast, push your shutter button half way down for the camera to autofocus, then just pan the camera with the subject to get a crisp photo.

Here are some of the shots from that ride.

As you can see in this photo, we were facing right into a bright sunny sky and without a polarizing filter on, the sky is blown out and white, thus losing contrast between the Matterhorn and the sky. I can’t wait to go back and ride it again with the proper filter on.

So the next time you are in Fantasyland, take the time to travel the waterways of Storybook Land. You can get some great pictures out of it.

On a personal note, I've built extremely detailed models of famous homes before, and there is an amazing amount of detail put into Storybook Land that you can't even see until you see a close up photo of it. Kudos to the Imagineers who maintain this attraction.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    That was a lot of reading. I hope it wasn't too boring or technical.

I'm not sure if I will be able to get back to the park at all in December. I sure hope so. Decmeber is our most hectic month at work, so it is difficult to get a day off. I know I will be there mid January, but having to go for 2 months without a trip to Disneyland is sheer torture.

I can't wait to see your pictures when you return.
    It wasn't boring or technical at all. I actually sat up for a couple hours last night re-reading so I could absorb as much as possible.

I wish I had found this sooner so I could have a chance to practice a few of the techniques before heading out to the park. It has been so long since I used either a SLR or DSLR.

I wish I could corner you for about 3 hours and just absorb everything.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by timbre View Post
    It wasn't boring or technical at all. I actually sat up for a couple hours last night re-reading so I could absorb as much as possible.

I wish I had found this sooner so I could have a chance to practice a few of the techniques before heading out to the park. It has been so long since I used either a SLR or DSLR.

I wish I could corner you for about 3 hours and just absorb everything.
    That's funny!
    I think a small kleenex could absorb about all I have to teach.

• Minion

12-3-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is another in the series on Dark Ride Photography but this time we Use the lighting from the Dark Ride to Photograph People. By using the lighting that is in the dark rides, you can get unique photos of people with lighting on them that you can’t get anywhere else. (The same concept applies to other rides too.)

The beauty of photographing people while on the rides is that even though you are moving, the person you are photographing is moving at the same speed you are and stays the same distance from you. The lighting is still dim, so you need to use the same settings you would use for photographing the ride, such as High ISO, NO FLASH! and a moderately Slow Shutter Speed, but if you can hold the camera still and they stay still, you can get really nice photos of the people with interesting backgrounds from the lights behind them.

Here are some examples to illustrate my point.

Of course I had to have the camera in my face when she took this picture.

I loved the way the light was coming in the window and illuminating one side of Mac Daddy's face and as usual, he had the camera in his face as well.

Plush Mickey is always ready for his picture to be taken.

This one’s a bit blurry, but it was a long day and I was tired, not to mention this little kids ride in A Bugs Land has a surprising amount of force when it is spinning.

So the next time you are on a ride and taking pictures of it, don’t forget to turn the camera towards the people you are with.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010