Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2345678153055105 ... LastLast

• Whip cracker

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Very nice photos! It's great to see that your patience was rewarded. You're doing a great job. Keep it up!
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• For Narnia and for Aslan!

My brain just exploded from the cuteness of the baby ducks. You are such a talented photographer and I love that you don't edit or saturate the crap out of your pictures; just enough to bring out the natural beauty. Thank you a million times for these pictures!
    You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!

"To live would be an awfully big adventure."

Thanks for taking the time to write these "tips!" I am very new the world of photography and I really enjoy getting ideas for my next shot, or photoshop tutorial.
    - Bobd

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    I've seen a bunch of photographers who take fantastic pictures but over-saturate the crap out of them. You didn't do that here and it makes your pictures that much better. Thank you and keep 'em coming.
    THANKS for the kind words. I do sometimes have a tendency to overdo the saturation a bit, so you are helping me keep a leash on the saturation slider.

The reason some photographers go so heavy on the saturation is because they are usually viewing them on a computer monitor and need the heavier saturation to make them look they way their mind remembers seeing it.

This also brings up a good tip for people. If you are having your photos printed, either yourself or at a photo printing shop, the printed photos always seem to have lackluster color to them. It does help if you increase the saturation in them a little bit before printing.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Goofy View Post
    My brain just exploded from the cuteness of the baby ducks. You are such a talented photographer and I love that you don't edit or saturate the crap out of your pictures; just enough to bring out the natural beauty. Thank you a million times for these pictures!
    Thank you very much for the comments. Like I said, "Who doesn't love baby ducks". Waiting for them to come into frame was a pretty easy task, not only because they were so cute but the flowers were so colorful that it was a very relaxing few moments.

Thanks also for helping me keep a leash on my natural tendency to use the Saturation slider. I need the be reminded to stay true to what it really looked like sometimes.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write these "tips!" I am very new the world of photography and I really enjoy getting ideas for my next shot, or photoshop tutorial.
    It is absolutely my pleasure to do these. I am pretty new to photography myself, at least as some type of serious hobby. I've only had my DSLR for about a year and still haven't learned half of what it can do. I've only had Photoshop since January and haven't learned 5% of what it can do. Most of what I have learned, I got from a video podcast on iTunes. Now if I can only learn how to use Lightroom, I'll be better off.

• Minion

7-28-10
    For today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” I chose a picture that isn’t a great picture by any stretch of the imagination but it does provide a good example of how a camera processes light of different intensities and how to compensate with your flash, even in broad daylight. No matter how expensive the camera or the lens is, it can never pick up the small variations of light that the human eye can perceive. The camera needs to be told what to see and how to expose it.

I apologize that I don’t still have the first original photo but I took this 6 weeks ago, long before I had any idea about writing this column and I deleted it right after taking it. Here is the 2nd original photo where I used the flash.

I was hoping to take a picture of the building with the water wheel at Grizzly River Rapids using the trees and grass as a frame for the picture, kind of a “looking through the forest” point of view. It was the middle of the day when this was taken and as you can see, the light was very intense on the building. That over abundance of light robs the image of detail, color and the inherent character of the building. In the first attempt, the camera read the extreme light coming off the building, compensated for it and made the grass and trees so dark that they were nothing more than a strange black shape in the foreground. The camera’s programming makes it try to sense the light from all areas in the frame but it is easily fooled by a large amount of light or dark and in this instance the light area won the fight.

I turned on the cameras flash and pressed the shutter half way down to let the cameras light sensor take a reading, then took the picture. When you have the flash on and press the shutter half way, the flash will send out a laser which brings information back to the camera so it can determine how much flash is needed and it can expose the image properly. The flash illuminated the grass and leaves enough to make them show up and the building looked just the same as it did to my eye. I know to some it might sound strange to use the flash in bright daylight but it can serve to illuminate the shadows and balance the light in an image.

Thanks to Photoshop Elements, I was able to eliminate some of that sunlight and restore the detail and color the building has when the sun isn’t so intense. First I Cropped the edges in a bit. Then I used the Selection Tool and selected just the building. I used the Darken Highlights slider to tone down the bright spots and then increased the Contrast a small amount. After that I increased the Saturation a touch but I still wanted more of the reddish tones in the wood and rusted metal to show up so I slid the Temperature slider just 1 point to the red and that was that.

If I were more experienced in photography and knew then what I know now (only 6 weeks later), I would have used a Neutral Density Filter to act as a pair of sunglasses for the lens and that would have saved me 15 minutes of work in the computer.

I still have a lot to learn about using “Fill Flash” and as soon as I figure it out, I will do another and hopefully better post covering it.

As always, any suggestions, comments or ideas are welcome.

Happy Snapping!
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 10-23-2010 at 08:48 PM.

• Minion

7-29-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photos of the Day” I like to call Malificent’s Gaze and Skellington’s Grin.

I chose these photos because they are a good example of a common photographers rule, “Get closer to your subject, and then when you get closer to it, get closer still.”

When most people take a picture of this sculpture/statue thing in New Orleans Square, it looks something like the one below. YAWN! BORING!!!

By getting closer to your subject and focusing on just the important parts of it, you will have a much more interesting and dramatic photo that is enjoyable to look at.

Post Processing: I opened both photos up in Photoscape, cropped them a little bit and hit the Backlight +/25% button. I noticed that there were some small chips in the paint and spots of dirt on them so I opened them in Photoshop Elements and used the Spot Healing Tool to remove those little spots.

Questions, comments, curiosities and ideas are always welcome and encouraged.

Happy Snapping!
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 08-09-2010 at 11:13 PM.

• Minion

7-30-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” should more properly be called “Photos” of the Day because there are a few of them. So without further ado or incessant ramblings, I give you the Pixie Hollow Water Show.

I shot these shortly after I took the previously covered pictures of Tomorrowland at night. Since my camera was already on my tripod, I strolled over to Pixie Hollow to take pictures of the little water show that plays every 15 minutes at night. If you haven’t seen this show, it is delightful. The lighting is beautiful, not only in the water but into the surrounding landscaping as well. The music is also very whimsical and makes it a truly relaxing little spot to hang out and spend a few quiet moments.

Post Processing: I shot these in RAW so I could open the files up in the RAW Editor and be able to adjust the lighting levels, exposure, shadows and colors without damaging the original photo’s quality. Here is what one of the original photos looked like.

According to the camera it was properly exposed because there was so much light in the water, but the bushes were very dark. I opened it in the RAW Editor and increased the Exposure a little bit, lightened shadows with the Fill Light slider, adjusted the Blacks and then used the Recovery slider to tone down the brightness of the lights in the water. Then I increased the Contrast just a touch to give better definition to the different levels of light. Once that was done, I converted it to a JPEG for a few finishing tweaks of Lightening Shadows and that was it. I probably averaged about 5 minutes of processing time per photo. Not too bad considering the improvement it makes.

Thanks for looking and Happy Snapping!
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 10-23-2010 at 08:49 PM.

I would love to know the settings for the original shot. I know that information is not useful to everyone, but it may be more useful for Disney photos because it is a location that many of us are likely to visit. ;-)

Thank you again for sharing your wonderful work.
    - Bobd

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    I would love to know the settings for the original shot. I know that information is not useful to everyone, but it may be more useful for Disney photos because it is a location that many of us are likely to visit. ;-)

Thank you again for sharing your wonderful work.
    Thanks for asking. I'm glad to share.
    I was in Manual Mode.
    Shutter Speed .5 seconds.
    Aperture 4.0
    ISO 400

This could also easily be done with the camera set to Aperture Priority and setting the Aperture somewhere in the 4-6 range and having the ISO on auto and the Shutter Speed on auto. The camera would take care of the rest.

Hope that helps.

• Whip cracker

Those Pixie Hollow photos look amazing! I really like the colors. Great job!
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• Minion

Oooooohhhh!!!! Pretty!!!

• Minion

7-31-10
    For today’s “Disneyland Photo of the Day”, I decided to go with the theme Let’s Go Shopping.

One of the fun challenges of photography is trying to capture a unique and interesting photograph in places where you wouldn’t expect to. The Imagineers and interior designers at Disney are kind enough and creative enough to give us plenty of opportunities to do just that.

Even when you are strolling through the myriad of shops in Disneyland and looking at the multitudes of merchandise designed to empty our wallets, there are unlimited opportunities to take interesting pictures. Through Depth of Field and/or Point of View, you can take wonderful pictures in any location. Here are some examples of merchandise and store displays from around the resort.

For this one I used a large Aperture of F/2.0 which gives a very shallow depth of field and makes the image fade away.

So in conclusion, if you are the person holding the camera and find yourself dragged by your spouse into every single little store in Disneyland, fear not, there are plenty of things to point your lens at.

Happy Snapping!
    Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 08-09-2010 at 11:34 PM.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

That's awesome. Makes the seemingly uninteresting objects in stores very interesting to photograph.

Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2345678153055105 ... LastLast