Page 51 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2641484950515253546176101151 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

I have to apologize to everyone again because I won't have a chance to do a post for the next day or two. We were working between 18-20 hours a day at work and it is extremely hectic for the next few weeks. I hope to have one up in a few days and will try to do one every other day for the next couple weeks.

I've got a couple good ones lined up but they are very intesive and are taking a whole lot of time.

Hope you're all well and not as crazy busy as I've been.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Good for you, Mike.

I hope this is a sign that times are changing back. Small American entrepreneurs have been hit hard, it would be nice to finally see a rebound!

Besides, more work=more income=more glass...

Happy holidays and as always, thank you for the dedication.

Rico

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by desertgroomer View Post
    Good for you, Mike.

I hope this is a sign that times are changing back. Small American entrepreneurs have been hit hard, it would be nice to finally see a rebound!

Besides, more work=more income=more glass...

Happy holidays and as always, thank you for the dedication.

Rico
    That's very kind. THANK YOU!

Much to our surprise, this has been the best year we have ever had in our 18 year history. As of last night, our production is up 13.8% over last year.

• Minion

12-15-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is a very short one, simply because I’m very short on time but it is something that I never knew about and wanted to share with you. I’m going to call it Be the First.

When we had our Mice Chat Photo Meet last week, some of us had reservations for the Minnie & Friends Character Breakfast, which as I’ve mentioned before lets you enter the park 1 hour before park opening. One of the best little details of having reservations for the character breakfast is that it has it’s own gate for entering the park, to the very left of all the regular entry gates. That particular morning was also a Magic Morning Hour for hotel guests and the lines at the gates stretched all the way back almost to the DCA entry gates. Luckily for us, we were the second people in what was a very short line at our special gate.

Mac Daddy & I (like the little kids that we are) ran like crazy as soon as we got in and discovered something that neither of us were aware of. As you will see in the photo, all of the main characters were standing together in front of the Christmas tree waiting for the very first guest to make it to them. Only one lucky family got to take a picture with all of them before they dispersed to go to their individual photo op locations. It was for the briefest of moments, but it was really neat to see them all together in their holiday finery standing in front of the tree. I was able to grab this shot before the #1 family got their pictures and they all separated. I ran over to grab more pictures but all I got was Pluto hanging out and striking a pose for me. As you can imagine, within 30 seconds there was a long line behind me waiting for their turn.

So if the possibility arises, try to be the very first guest in the park and you will be afforded a very special photo opportunity.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here:
    The Disneyland Photo of the Day...
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 12-20-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Much to our surprise, this has been the best year we have ever had in our 18 year history. As of last night, our production is up 13.8% over last year.
    Dang, I knew I was ordering too much hot sauce and jerky

Congrats Mike and Diane!
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

I never got the chance to get in early... with the two youngins that never was a option.

I did notice something similar on the last day we were there. We had decided to do all of our shopping that morning so had been hanging around main street. The wife and kiddos were in the mad hatter and I was on stroller patrol... There must be a character entrance right there becasue I was able to see a majority of the main characters come out in one group. I didn't get the camera up in time but they all headed to the christmas tree for one photo then split up around the square. It was really cool

I think it was around 11:30 or so in the morning.

• formerly very helpful

^^^I will recomend that even with young kids, it is a good idea to try and open up the park, sometimes. I'll do that (when the wife lets me). We'll head straight for Fantasyland. The kids and I will hit DUmbo first, then Peter Pan and the other dark rides. We finish all of Fantasyland in about 20 minutes, with hardly any lines. Then the lines start getting long after that. Saves a lot of time.

• Minion

12-19-10
    Todayís ďDisneyland Photo Tip of the DayĒ is the first in a series of posts that will cover photographing Fireworks from different locations in Disneyland. Today we begin with a great viewing location in front of Itís a Small World.

I have never seen the fireworks from that location before but have heard it is a good place to watch them from. Disney even promotes this location as an alternate viewing area on the park maps.

I am fortunate that I have a friend who works on the fireworks crew at Disneyland so before we went, I asked him where the fireworks actually launch from so I could try and extrapolate the perfect position to shoot from. My goal was to line up the clock tower on IASW in the middle of the fireworks bursts that spread out like a fan. He said that I would have to be to the far right of the faÁade, almost directly beside it to get that angle.

Since Wednesday night was a very crowded night, the queue for IASW stretched up and through the upper area across the promenade from the ride. However, the spot I wanted to be was roped off and wide open. I couldnít get as far to the right as I would have liked because of trees, but the spot I did grab turned out to be fantastic and I had it all to myself. This picture shows my location in relation to the building.

The sky on Wednesday was completely overcast and cloudy with an incoming rain storm. With all the lights of Disneyland reflecting off the haze, it was honestly the ugliest sky I had ever seen. It looked like brownish orange mud. I knew I would have to do some serious post processing to get the pictures to look good, assuming I actually got good pictures to begin with.

I only had about 10 minutes to get set up before the show started, which was not enough time to properly run the test shots that I wanted to take. I asked one of the CMís directing people where in the sky the fireworks show up so I could try and get the camera in the perfect spot to catch IASW and the fireworks evenly in the frame.

Camera settings:
    Manual Mode: Shutter Speed on Bulb, using a shutter cable so I can hold it open as long or as little as I want. ISO 100, Aperture F/14. I was using my standard 18-55 kit lens and no Neutral Density Filter.

I set those settings and ran some test shots of IASW lit up to try and gauge how long I can leave the shutter open and properly expose the building and the fireworks. I wanted to use F/18 but it was giving me exposure times of almost 30 seconds. (This would be fine if we were at Disney World where the fireworks are spread across the sky) Unfortunately at Disneyland they donít have that amount of space so the majority of the bursts are in the same location and with very long shutter speeds, you end up with an overblown ball of white light.

I knew the lights on IASW would be turned off for the show and there would be animation projected onto the building. I did not know how bright that animation would be so I couldnít get an accurate exposure reading until the fireworks actually began.

Quick Tip: By using a shutter release cable that is only about $8.00, you can open and close the shutter as you see fit. Take several test shots before the show begins and expose the image properly based on whatever is in the foreground, such as the Castle or in this case IASW. See how long that exposure is and then subtract time from it for each burst of fireworks depending upon how bright the bursts are. It takes a little practice but is pretty easy to figure out and only takes a few shots to get it wired.

The other advantage of taking the test shots is so you can have a good clean foreground image if you need to blend the shots in the computer for whatever reason. And trust me, you will have reason.

So the fireworks show begins and I get a few good shots but very quickly realize that I canít get all of the fireworks in the frame because they are too high and the tops are being cut off. I had to flip the camera to a vertical position to get it all in frame. I kept photographing the fireworks and then when the show was over, I didnít move the camera and waited for the lights to come back on IASW to take pictures in case I need to merge them with the fireworks shots. (I knew I would have to do this because the animation projected onto IASW was so dark that they barely showed up at all.)

Here is one of my test shots of IASW before the show began that I would use for the merges.

Here is one of the first bursts of fireworks. You can see that even with a 12 second exposure, IASW was virtually dark.

Here is another original photo so you can see how ugly the sky is and the challenge of post processing.

This is another original image.

I decided to post process this as 2 different images and then merge them together as one. First I wanted just to focus on the fireworks and didnít care about IASW. I opened the RAW image and increased the blacks to get rid of the orange color in the sky. Then I saturated the colors and increased the contrast. I saved that image as just the fireworks edit.

Next I opened up the original RAW image again and increased the exposure and the brightness, focusing only on IASW and got the building to look the way I wanted it to and saved that as the IASW edit.

Next was to open both images in Photoshop Elements 8. I started with the IASW edit, then clicked on the Fireworks image, and dragged it on top of the first one. This gave me two images in the layers window. I clicked on the background image then made a Levels Adjustment Layer. I clicked on the upper image and hit Control+G on the keyboard. This gives me a clipping group and from there I clicked on a soft brush in the tools palette and clicked on Black as my foreground color and just painted over IASW, revealing the brighter one from the image below. A few adjustments to the size of the brush and some careful painting around the edges and you end up with the final image.

Here are several other shots from that night where I either merged the fireworks images with shots of IASW the same as I described above or with shots of IASW with all the lights on. Either way, the Post Processing technique is the same. My shutter speeds ranged between 12 and 21 seconds.

So the next time you are photographing the fireworks make sure you take several test shots before hand to use for merging if needed. If you have to move the camera during the show, make sure you donít move it after until you get pictures of the foreground subject that will easily line up with the pictures of the fireworks.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here:
    The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Those are awesome... will a wireless remote work in the same fashion as a shutter cable?

• Dinka Flinka

Great pix... kinda pathetic though how a camera that costs thousands of dollars doesn't have wireless capability....

<3 my D7000.

Edit: I see you use a Canon T1i... I thought that would have wireless capabilities being so new.
    Last edited by BestBeatingHeart; 12-19-2010 at 09:31 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post

Mac Daddy & I (like the little kids that we are) ran like crazy as soon as we got in and discovered something that neither of us were aware of. As you will see in the photo, all of the main characters were standing together in front of the Christmas tree waiting for the very first guest to make it to them. Only one lucky family got to take a picture with all of them before they dispersed to go to their individual photo op locations. It was for the briefest of moments, but it was really neat to see them all together in their holiday finery standing in front of the tree. I was able to grab this shot before the #1 family got their pictures and they all separated. I ran over to grab more pictures but all I got was Pluto hanging out and striking a pose for me. As you can imagine, within 30 seconds there was a long line behind me waiting for their turn.
    Pfft. Are you suggesting that I, Mac Daddy, would run like a crazy little kid just to get a good shot??

Puh-leeze. Next you'll be suggesting that I would actually roll on the ground, or balance on one toe holding an umbrella in the pouring rain or would stand in line with a bunch of 6 year olds to get a shot of a princess or...

:

Okay. So I have no dignity when it comes to taking shots.

Great shots and technique on those IASW shots, Hot Sauce! I knew that you were a bit hesitant to set up down there, but they really turned out to be spectacular!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by timbre View Post
    Those are awesome... will a wireless remote work in the same fashion as a shutter cable?
    I have a wireless remote that cost $45.00 but it will only fire the shutter the same way as pressing the shutter button. It doesn't let you push it half way to set the auto focus and doesn't allow you to hold it down for any amount of time you want. You also have to hold it in front of the camera for the sensor to receive the signal. I found the cheaper one that is attached to a cable to be much easier because it lets you press half way, lock it open as long as I want and I can stand behind the camera and enjoy the show while taking pictures.

There are wireless remotes that have those capabilities, they are just more expensive and you still have to hold it in front of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBeatingHeart View Post
    Great pix... kinda pathetic though how a camera that costs thousands of dollars doesn't have wireless capability....

<3 my D7000.

Edit: I see you use a Canon T1i... I thought that would have wireless capabilities being so new.
    It does. I just find the cable easier and more functional for the fireworks. If I'm walking around with my tripod shooting bracketed shots for HDR, I use the wireless remote because it will fire all three images with one push of the button.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Pfft. Are you suggesting that I, Mac Daddy, would run like a crazy little kid just to get a good shot??

Puh-leeze. Next you'll be suggesting that I would actually roll on the ground, or balance on one toe holding an umbrella in the pouring rain or would stand in line with a bunch of 6 year olds to get a shot of a princess or...

:

Okay. So I have no dignity when it comes to taking shots.

Great shots and technique on those IASW shots, Hot Sauce! I knew that you were a bit hesitant to set up down there, but they really turned out to be spectacular!
    Don't forget standing on your tiptoes with a huge zoom lens to shoot over a wall for a picture of a little girl who you don't know with a princess. (And it was totally worth it!)

I was very happy with that location in front of IASW. The fireworks are much closer and larger and have so much more impact. I have to say that it is my new favorite spot to photograph them from. I forgot to mention that during the show, they stop the line so I ended up with no one in front of me for most of the show.

I know you could get some great ones from there.

MacDaddy, you do whatever it takes to get the shot - and I admire that! And it's fun to watch too

Another great tip lesson, Mike! And you're right, that was a good place to shoot fireworks.
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• ohai

Every time I read this thread, I fall a little bit more in love with your pictures and all you do to make them look fabulous!