Page 56 of 158 FirstFirst ... 63146535455565758596681106156 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post

Took this one recently. in NOS. I have not retouched this one either.. but thank you for the comments on my last photo!
    I took the liberty of adding to your awesome image by adjusting the highlights and shadows.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    I took the liberty of adding to your awesome image by adjusting the highlights and shadows.

That's funny, I did the same thing, only increasing the contrast just a touch as well and got the same result. I was about to post mine but saw yours and didn't need to. Thanks!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

1-22-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is all about Filters.
    I spent 3 days at Disneyland last week, taking almost 2,000 photos. A lot of those pictures were specifically for these daily photo tips. I was fortunate to receive a bunch of different lens filters for Christmas so this last trip gave me the opportunity to test them out and share the results with you.

I picked Paradise Pier for the test and thought that staring into the sunset would be a good time to see what the different filters do. I set the camera on the tripod and used these settings. F/22, 18mm, ISO 100 and let the camera choose the shutter speed as it saw fit.

This was the original photo with no filter at all. The shutter speed was 1/40.

First I used a UV Protector filter which is the most common filter and one that should be used almost all the time, especially during the day. As you can see, it didn’t change anything.

Next is a UV Haze filter that is designed to cut through some of the gray hazy skies that we get far too often in Southern California. This day was a nice clear day, so it also had no effect other than slowing the shutter speed down from 1/40 to 1/30.

This is a Circular Polarizer that is basically the same as putting a pair of polarized sunglasses on the lens. It makes the blues a bit bluer and cuts the glare off of water. You can see that the sky is a little bit darker, deeper blue and the water is a little darker. It also cut the shutter speed down to 1/25.

Here is a 0.6 Neutral Density Filter, which acts as a darkening filter that doesn’t change any colors or haze but has the main use for slowing down the shutter speed in bright light so you can get slower speeds for things like waterfalls when you want that misty look to the water or to slow it down for fireworks photos. It dropped the shutter speed down to 1/13.

The 0.9 Neutral Density Filter did the same thing but being 50% darker dropped the shutter speed down to 1/6.

I also tried out a Sky 1-A Filter that slightly darkens the sky and adds a pinkish orange hue to the sky. It is good for enhancing the color of sunsets. Since there wasn’t any color in this sky, it didn’t change a thing. The only very slight change it made is on the yellow canopies over the queue of the fun wheel. Those seem to be a little bit brighter yellow than in the other photos.

Another filter that I was anxious to try out was a Star 6 filter which is supposed to give a 6 point starburst to spots of light. I had no idea what it would do in a situation like this, and as you can see, it was a complete failure during the day time. I haven’t had a chance to try it at night to see how it works on small spots of light. All it did during the way was look like a spider weave over the lens.

You can also stack filters for specific effects. For these shots I took on the USS Midway, I stacked the Polarizing filter with the Sky 1-A filter to darken the sky making the ship a silhouette, cut some glare and enhance the orange hues of the sunset.

It also worked to enhance the golden hues of the sunset reflecting of the side of this helicopter.

I hope this little view into filters clears up any questions you might have had on them.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• we're all a little mad...

Thanks for all of that info Mike! I recently bought a few filters and I started messing with them last night, but now I have some new ones to add to my list of what to buy next.

On a side note, what brand do you use for filters? I went with tiffen, not really knowing any others and they seem pretty good, but I'm curious about what the pros prefer.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by anndreeuhh View Post
    Thanks for all of that info Mike! I recently bought a few filters and I started messing with them last night, but now I have some new ones to add to my list of what to buy next.

On a side note, what brand do you use for filters? I went with tiffen, not really knowing any others and they seem pretty good, but I'm curious about what the pros prefer.
    Most of mine are Tiffen as well. If I were after a very specific filter for some special photo, I would probably buy a more expensive one, but the ones like my UV Filter take a lot of abuse so I don't spend a lot of money on them. The only problem I have with Tiffen is my .09 Neutral Density filters. The first one I bought came with loose glass in it that rattles around and the second one bought came all scratched up. I don't know what the problem is with the .09 but I have had bad luck with that one.

The next filters I really want are "Graduated" Neutral Density Filters that are only dark on part of the filter so you can darken a sunset without darkening the foreground.

• Minion

1-24-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is the first of several posts that will discuss the Different types of Light that we encounter at Disneyland and how to deal with them as they apply to photographing people. Once again, Plush Mickey has graciously allowed me to use him as a model for most of these photos.

Hard Light
    Hard light is best described as the very bright midday sun, directly overhead with no clouds. As much as we would think it is great for taking pictures, it is one of the worst lights for photographing people. The direct overhead light overexposes foreheads and causes very dark shadows under the eyes, nose and chin, making people look like zombies or heavier than they are because of the shadow under the chin. This might be ok for very skinny Goth people but isn’t very flattering for the rest of us. As I was taking these pictures I saw several people taking pictures of themselves in this light and knew that this would be an important post to tackle.

Here is an example of Plush Mickey in some very Hard Light.

It’s kind of hard to tell on Plush Mickey but you can see how his forehead is completely blown out and there is a strong shadow under his chin.

This can also make it hard to photograph certain characters, like this shot of the Mad Hatter where his face is almost completely shadowed by his hat.

Flat Light
    Looking at the Plush Mickey scene, you can see that the harshest sun is to the left but there is shade from the trees just a few feet to the right. By moving just a few feet to the right, he is under the shade of the tree. Now we have subtracted the light from directly overhead and although we have eliminated the harsh shadows, he is still facing direct sunlight that lights his face very evenly, so this would is called Flat Light and it isn’t considered very flattering either.

Subtractive Light
    If we take a moment longer to look for a better location, there is another spot a few feet away that works much better. In this location, we still have the shade from the tree branches blocking the overhead sun but we are at a little more of an angle, so the tree trunk itself provides some shade. This gives us light on one side of his face and a slight shadow on the other. This is called Subtractive Light and is much more flattering for portrait photography.

As you can see in the above photo, Plush Mickey’s fur is somewhat reflective, just like a persons face would be if they put on an oily sunscreen or were sweating on a hot day. In this instance, I adjusted the Exposure Compensation down by 2/3rds and achieved a more flattering, softer light on his face.

This photo taken at the Shooting Exposition in Frontierland is an excellent example of Subtractive Light. The wooden awning is blocking the overhead sun and light is only coming in from one side, giving a very warm light on one side of their faces and leaving the other in shadow. This makes for a much more interesting photograph.

Soft Light
    Soft light occurs when you have something acting as a filter for all the light such as a heavy marine layer, a completely cloudy day or in this instance, right after sunset when there was no direct light left in the sky and the light was very soft and even from all sides. This works well for candid portraits because it leaves no bright spots or shadows, but it can also be a bit boring. I snapped this adorable baby sitting in a stroller around 5:00 pm. It’s a nice shot of the baby’s face but it’s so even that it isn’t very interesting or dramatic.

That will do it for today but there will be more posts to come on the different types of light and how they affect people as well as buildings.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• Minion

1-26-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” continues the discussion on the different types of light that one might encounter at Disneyland and how to use them to your advantage. Today we take a look at Window Light.

The warm soft light that pours through a window can be a very flattering and forgiving light for taking portraits or still life photos such as a bowl of fruit on a table. It often has a soft gradual fall off that lets highlights rotate into shadows in a very delicate manner.

In a perfect world, taking a portrait in window light would be through a soft flowing gauze curtain but we don’t find any of those at Disneyland so we have to take a look at the direction of the light, how strong it is and if it is bouncing off of something such as the windowsill, a wall or the floor.

While strolling through Redwood Creek, I ran across this window and loved the way the light warmed up the window sill and gave a golden hue to the wood.

I placed Plush Mickey in the window to take his picture but as you can see, he is in too much of the sun and even though I like the shadows upon his face, the window side is too bright.

I moved him a little further from the window which softened the light on his face but the light is bouncing off the window sill and is too bright on the underside of his face.

Then I moved him into a position where his back is more to the window which makes for more interesting light and shadow on his face but is still a little too bright.

Next I turned him facing the other direction which gives a very flattering soft warm light on his face with delicate shadows on one side.

Lastly I moved him a little further back out of the direct sunlight and achieved the softest most even light on his face.

Here is an example of how light coming through a window and bouncing off the floor can make an interesting photo. Notice how the window side of her is so softly lit and how the other side is in a very slight shadow. That is the most common and flattering type of lighting for a portrait and it didn't take any special equipment or a flash. All it took was an observant eye.

As you can see, Window Light is easily one of the more flattering types of light for photographing our loved ones and the slightest changes in position can completely change the feel of the photo.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011

I'm new to the forums (though I've infrequently visited this site for quite some time now) and I must say that I've enjoyed this thread so much that I've gone through the photos on every single page. I'm getting serious about photography but I don't have the budget for an SLR so I spend a lot of my time at the parks on my point and shoot, and despite the overwhelming amount of detail and craftsmanship Disney puts into their sets, I've found myself sticking to the same subjects, so I'd like to thank you especially for your posts on shooting characters. It never occurred to me to capture the personalities inside the park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginOnAStar View Post
    I'm new to the forums (though I've infrequently visited this site for quite some time now) and I must say that I've enjoyed this thread so much that I've gone through the photos on every single page. I'm getting serious about photography but I don't have the budget for an SLR so I spend a lot of my time at the parks on my point and shoot, and despite the overwhelming amount of detail and craftsmanship Disney puts into their sets, I've found myself sticking to the same subjects, so I'd like to thank you especially for your posts on shooting characters. It never occurred to me to capture the personalities inside the park.
    Welcome to the forums and Thank You!
    If you like the post about capturing personalities in the park, just wait till Friday's post. It's filled with character but not the ones in costume and almost all of them are taken with a point and shoot.

The posts about the different lighting are so cool. You never really stop and think about it for the most part until you snap the picture and see the result. At least now in the digital age you have a chance to redo.... unlike a film camera.

I'm a bit behind on the index. Getting the house back together has taken a bit more of my time than wanted.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by timbre View Post
    The posts about the different lighting are so cool. You never really stop and think about it for the most part until you snap the picture and see the result. At least now in the digital age you have a chance to redo.... unlike a film camera.

I'm a bit behind on the index. Getting the house back together has taken a bit more of my time than wanted.
    Glad you like them. The goal is to get people to just take a quick moment and look at the light before taking the picture. Hopefully that brief moment will yield a much better picture than it would have by just snapping away.

• Some imagination, huh?

Great posts! I especially like the one about the filters (always mix them up) and the lights (didn't know there was terms for lighting, like "subtractive lighting.)

Could I make a request on a future post? I'd like to see a post about street photography; how do you get nice pictures of those non-Disney personalities you see walking about without them getting wary of you? You seem to get a lot of those really nice candid moments of strangers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Great posts! I especially like the one about the filters (always mix them up) and the lights (didn't know there was terms for lighting, like "subtractive lighting.)

Could I make a request on a future post? I'd like to see a post about street photography; how do you get nice pictures of those non-Disney personalities you see walking about without them getting wary of you? You seem to get a lot of those really nice candid moments of strangers.
    That is really, really funny that you asked about "Street Photography". That is going to be Friday's post. I have one more for tomorrow on lighting (there's one more after that but I'll do that one on the weekend) but Friday's is all Urban Style Street Photography in Disneyland. Almost all of it was shot with a point and shoot camera and by my wife. She was inspired by the story and photos of Vivian Meier so that is what she has been shooting while I'm running around doing my thing.

• Minion

1-27-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” continues the discussions on different types of lighting with a brief chat about Side Light.

Side light occurs early in the morning and late in the afternoon and is really useful when photographing architecture and certain landscapes. When the light is low in the sky it creates shadows with dramatic angles that can greatly enhance the details and character of buildings. (Photographers secret: Architecture photographers take most of their shots in the 10 minutes after sunset.)

In terms of Landscape photography, picture the proverbial country road with lines of beautiful trees going down both sides. Now picture how the dramatic the shadows created by the trees would look draped across the street in early morning or late afternoon. Then picture how boring the shadows would be at high noon. Unfortunately, we don’t have any landscapes like this in Disneyland.

However, side light in Disneyland can have a big effect on things such as Sleeping Beauty Castle.
    I took these photos of the castle first thing in the morning when the sun is coming from Tomorrowland.
    First, straight on.

Then I went to the Right side.

Then to the Left side.

Not that these pictures are anything special or have big dramatic shadows, but you can see how different the shadows are on each side of the castle. Personally, I like the view from the left side because it has deeper shadows which gives more interest to the architecture. Depending upon what you want to photograph, it might behoove you to look at where the light is coming from and how the shadows either enhance or detract from the image you want people to see.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011

If I may, I actually have an example of an architectural shot right after the sun sets that I took this past Saturday