Page 57 of 158 FirstFirst ... 73247545556575859606782107157 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginOnAStar View Post
    If I may, I actually have an example of an architectural shot right after the sun sets that I took this past Saturday

Love it. The colors in the sky and lights are really well done. Nice job on controlling the color temperature.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

I forgot to mention... If anyone is a fan of not only photograhy but architecture, specifically Mid Century Modern architecture, you really would enjoy looking into the photo works of Julius Shulman. He is considered to be the worlds greatest photographer of mid century modern architecture. He has numerous books of his works and all of his images are now owned by the Getty Museum. There is a truly wonderful film about him called Visual Acoustics. I saw it in the theater and bought the DVD as well. It is a surprisingly enjoyable film. You can check out the trailer and see more about him here: Trailer / Gallery | Julius Shulman Film

Enjoy.

Wow, great suggestion! I am a huge architectural photo fan!
    The Mur

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Love it. The colors in the sky and lights are really well done. Nice job on controlling the color temperature.
    Thank you! Unfortunately I didn't get the settings honed until that incredible blue had dimmed, but next time I'll set the camera up earlier. That also means I'm going to spend less of my time trying to find a good sunset spot (how many shots of Paradise Pier does a person really need?) and more time looking for architectural details.
    I have a very hard time with color temperatures at Disneyland in particular because of their eclectic lighting. Take Main St during the holidays, all the shops are covered with warm, soft, incandescent lights but the tree and garlands were covered in harsh blue/white LEDs. I was able to capture a decent representation of the colors (though the LEDs still look WRONG imo) but it's just not that simple through the rest of the park. Last night I spent quite a bit of time trying to shoot the teal lit waterfall at Big Thunder Trail. The best I was able to do was a muddy bluish grey and whatever they used to light the rest of the mountain turned bright red under that setting. Last week I was trying to shoot the warmly lit sword against the SUPER PINK LED lit castle, and those didn't turn out either. How do you get around this?
    And thank you for the links. I'm going to get my hands on that film

• Minion

1-28-11
    They say that if you sit by the fountain in Central Park long enough, the entire world will pass in front of your eyes. I think the same could be said about the Partners Statue at Disneyland. Sometimes just sitting and people watching can be the most enjoyable thing to do at Disneyland. So with that in mind, today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” takes a look at Candid or Street Photography as it is called nowadays.

There isn’t really a clear definition of what Street Photography is because it is defined solely by the person taking the pictures. For most people it means any photograph taken in a public place and that is completely candid. Some believe that there needs to be human beings in the picture and some say it needs to be in an urban setting. The one truth to street photography is that it is the one type of photography that cannot be planned in advance, staged or created. It is only the capturing or documenting of a moment in time and space. There are no rules of technique to follow or specific styles to emulate. The only style is the one you prefer and will develop on your own.

My own preference for this type of photography is to try and capture emotions of all kinds, good or bad, happy or sad. To me it is the human drama that takes place all around us that I find the most interesting. It is just my personal belief that Black and White is the best format for these types of photographs because it seems more dramatic and emotional, especially when it has people in it. It all depends upon the subject and the emotion I want to be showcased. I like to increase the contrast a bit to have greater separation of blacks and whites, a little grittier feel and more drama. I also place a slight vignette on them to keep the focus on the subject of the photo.

One thing that needs to be stated about Street Photography is that if you are using any photos that have people in them for a profitable purpose, you must have signed Model Release Forms from the people in them. If you are only using them for your personal enjoyment, you don’t have to worry about it. If the faces of the people aren’t clearly visible or identifiable, it wouldn’t be a problem. The hard part of this is if you ask someone if you can take their picture before hand, they will immediately pose, so the photo won’t be candid and won’t have any true emotion. (you can’t fake street photography)

After seeing the unbelievable street photos by Vivian Meier (who I did the post about a little while ago) my wife Diane has been very interested in street photography and has been practicing it at Disneyland while I am running around doing my own photography thing. Her goal has not only been to capture human emotion but to take pictures that you wouldn’t know were taken at Disneyland. If it weren’t for the ubiquitous trash cans and strollers every 5 feet, you would never know they were. She also likes to look for interesting lines that lead the eye through the photo.

The majority of these pictures were taken by Diane with my old Point & Shoot Camera. Tip: A point and shoot camera is easier to use for street photography because it is easier to conceal and you don’t need to put it to your face to take the picture. Another tip from Diane is to act like you are taking pictures of everything around them so they are put more at ease and don’t notice you photographing them.

I was going to give descriptions for each of these photos but I think I will just let them speak for themselves, unless it really needs one.

Diane shot this one of Ryan Pastorino and Corey Dorsey during one of our photo meets. They were so focused on their cameras that they had no idea she was taking pictures of them.

He was sad because there was a dead plant in the planter. Right after this he pulled the dead plant out and threw it away.

This woman was actually doing her knitting on the bench in Paradise Park.

I can't decide which of these two I like better. One shows such peace and comfort, while the other shows such a tender and simple loving glance.

And here's one that is undeniably Disneyland.

Diane also wanted me to mention that there is one skill necessary for taking good street photos in Disneyland. You have to have the ability to sit on one place and people watch. The more observant you are, the more you will find worthy of photographing. You also need to have your camera ready to go at any specific moment. A great candid photo doesn't wait for you.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

Great post! I am officially inspired and I can't wait to go back

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I LOVE that last batch of shots, Mike! That one of the guy falling asleep on the girl who is stuffing her face is hilarious. This is easily one of my favorite series from you, hands down.

Also...thanks for the tip on that film! I was just about to buy it, but on a hunch, I tried looking for it on Netflix, and it is currently streaming! I added it to my instant queue and will watch it this afternoon. Looks like a VERY cool film!

I'm going to be trying this out in a couple of weeks. We are taking a trip to Portland, OR specifically for a day of driving around to all the food carts in the town. I think it will make a perfect opportunity to see what I can come up with.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginOnAStar View Post
    Great post! I am officially inspired and I can't wait to go back
    Just remember to not get to excited about being in Disneyland and run all over the place. If you are constantly moving, you will miss a lot. Take the time to just sit and watch. The pictures will appear before your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I LOVE that last batch of shots, Mike! That one of the guy falling asleep on the girl who is stuffing her face is hilarious. This is easily one of my favorite series from you, hands down.

Also...thanks for the tip on that film! I was just about to buy it, but on a hunch, I tried looking for it on Netflix, and it is currently streaming! I added it to my instant queue and will watch it this afternoon. Looks like a VERY cool film!
    Glad you liked them. I was very excited to share these with everyone, not only because I LOVE the photos, but because it was Diane that took all but two of them while we were all running around showing off our big lenses.

Be prepared to spend some money after watching Visual Acoustics. I immediately went to Amazon and ordered several of his books, and they aren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by timbre View Post
    I'm going to be trying this out in a couple of weeks. We are taking a trip to Portland, OR specifically for a day of driving around to all the food carts in the town. I think it will make a perfect opportunity to see what I can come up with.
    That will be fun. Portland has some amazing urban scenes that can make great photos. If you run across any old run down factories or warehouses, see if you can go in and take pictures. They can be so textural and gritty.

• Some imagination, huh?

Great post; and I agree wholeheartedly about the point-and-shoot being easier for this type of photography. Man, I wonder how Vivian Meier did it with what probably was a huge honking camera?

• Minion

With regards to the post on Street Photography at Disneyland, I have put together a group on Flickr for these type of photos. All are welcome to join.
    Please read the rules first.
    Flickr: Disney Street Photography

There is also a Mice Chat Photography group that is for all types of Disney photos taken by Mice Chat members. Flickr: Mice Chat - Photography

• Minion

1-31-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” continues the discussion about the different types of light that you might encounter at Disneyland or anywhere else for that matter. Today we take a look at Mottled or Dappled Light.

Dappled light occurs when you have something such as tree leaves or clouds casting dark shadows indiscriminately across what you are trying to photograph. It can be very annoying because it changes quickly and makes uneven light on the subject causing part of it to be underexposed and part of it to be overexposed.

In these instances, “bracketing” the exposure can give you an image that you are happy with. Using your Exposure Compensation up and down gives you several choices of exposure so you can pick the one that you like best.

Here is a shot of the Partners Statue that I took late in the afternoon when the sun was low in the sky and shining through the trees causing horrible dappled light on the statue. This is the normal exposed image.

Here it is at – 1/3rd.

At -2/3rds.

At -1

+1/3

+2/3

+1

You can also try making them into an HDR image, which brought out nice colors in the sky and on the Astro Orbiter but didn’t do much to balance out the dappled light on the statue.

Personally, I like the +1/3rd the best, but that’s just me. Depending upon what your subject is will determine if you like it brighter with less shadow or darker with deeper shadows.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• Minion

2-1-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is one that I will call Look for more than you are given.

It was inspired by a recent trip to Disneyland with other photographers Corey Dorsey, Ryan Pastorino, Gregg Cooper (Corsair 13), his son Justin and Bill (Mac Daddy). We all went up into Tarzan’s Tree house to see the view from up there. Ryan and Corey were playing with their humungous lenses while Gregg and I went through the tree house photographing it. We went through the scene where Tarzan is with Jane and snapped a few shots. As we were leaving that room, Gregg told me to turn around, look behind me and see it from that angle. Much to my surprise, the view was much better and more interesting from there.

I wasn’t happy wit the photo I took that day so I went back a week later to do it again and with a plan for using it in these lessons. As I was standing there waiting for a moment between people walking through, I noticed that almost everyone walking through was using a Point & Shoot camera, most of them with the flash on (for some reason I have yet to understand) and not one of them looked behind them to see the better view. Everyone simply stopped, looked at the scene that was straight before them, snapped a picture and moved on. I decided that this lesson would be better served if I used a Point & Shoot, so I put my DSLR away and broke out the old P&S.

Here is the scene as everyone sees and photographs it. The only editing I have done to this is increase the backlight a little bit to brighten up the background. The animation tablet is very bright and because it is animated, is changing constantly. If you do not wait for the animation to fill the screen, it will be completely white and way, way overexposed.

Now, here is the scene if you look back from the exit. Notice how you can see Tarzans face in the mirror and from this angle it looks like he just climbed in the window which gives a better sense of danger to the scene. Also notice that the animation screen is blown out. There is also really bright light on his leg that is very distracting.

I adjusted the exposure compensation down 2/3rds which cut down the light on his leg and allowed the animation to be seen. However, it is still too bright on his leg and tablet.

Next I adjusted the exposure compensation down 1full notch and that gave me the exposure I wanted on his leg and animation tablet but the rest of the scene was a little dark. I used the Backlight button in Photoscape to bring out the detail in the dark areas and that was that.

So the next time you are taking pictures of things in Disneyland, remember that it is “Disneyland” after all and that the Imagineers have gone to great lengths to make sure there is something interesting to see from any angle. All you have to do is look at it from different angles and I guarantee that you will see something you’ve never seen before.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Mike - I've been through that tree house dozens of times, but I don't think I've ever looked back for that view. Thanks for the tip, and for another item on my to-do list.

• 12 Year Annual Passholder

Very cool, Mike! Most people would never think to do that.

^Art by me!
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 5.26.15}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 21