Page 58 of 158 FirstFirst ... 83348555657585960616883108 ... LastLast

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Just a note of congrats to Mike.

Today marked the 150th Disneyland Photo of the Day post.

This has been an awesome series and something that I look forward to every day.

thank you Mike

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Mike - I've been through that tree house dozens of times, but I don't think I've ever looked back for that view. Thanks for the tip, and for another item on my to-do list.
    I had never seen it either and probably never would have if Gregg hadn't pointed it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    Very cool, Mike! Most people would never think to do that.
    When I was watching people just walk in, take a picture and walk out, I was amazed at how none of them looked anywhere else other than what was lit up in front of them. I pointed out the shot from the side to a few of them and they were like "oh wow, that is really cool" That really got me thinking that I also need to look around more often and pay more attention to the little details that make Disneyland so great.
    Quote Originally Posted by timbre View Post
    Just a note of congrats to Mike.

Today marked the 150th Disneyland Photo of the Day post.

This has been an awesome series and something that I look forward to every day.

thank you Mike
    Thank You! Only 150 more to go before I hit my goal.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Dude, you're on fire with the Flikr Explore picks! You've hit the big time

Congrats!
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Dude, you're on fire with the Flikr Explore picks! You've hit the big time

Congrats!
    Thanks! I think it's more luck than anything. But, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Supposedly I had my Friday Fireworks shot and todays World of Color shot made it too but dropped out too soon.

• Minion

Sorry I've been absent this week. I am working on a post that is on advanced photo planning and much more advanced photo editing. It is taking me a lot longer than I thought it would, but I guarantee, it will be worth the wait. Hopefully it will be up in a day or two. I will probably have to do it in two steps because it is so big.

See you soon!

Here's a preview....

•   

Fascinating!

• Down Pluto!

Yes - that longer exposure of the fountains, swings, and wheel is indeed fascinating.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

2-5-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is going to be the first of what I will consider Advanced Lessons because it would require several exposures and a good deal of post processing work. It had to be planned out in advance, researched and then planned out on how it would be processed. This post will be showing a lot of work in Photoshop Elements, most of it using skills we’ve covered in previous posts, so in the spirit of expediency I will forego some of the little details of how to do things.

First I will start with a photo that was taken by Gregg Cooper (Corsair 13). If you haven’t seen his photostream on Flickr, you don’t know what you are missing. He is far and away one of the best Disneyland Photographers that I have seen. I have had the pleasure of shooting with him on several occasions and he has taught me an awful lot in a short amount of time. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cypress_phillies/with/5418425479/

He posted a picture a few weeks ago that left me breathless. I read how he processed it and was blown away that it comprised 18 different exposures, went through several processing programs and was more than 20 layers in Photoshop. That is a WHOLE LOTTA work but the final image is so well worth it. So let’s start with that photo that served as the inspiration for this post.

When I saw his, I fell in love with the photo and knew I wanted to try something similar but including the World of Color show. I don’t have a wide angle lens so I knew that finding the right location to get the Fun Wheel, Swings, Hotel, Zephyr and show in the frame would be the key to pulling it off. I went to DCA early in the day and went to Ariel’s Grotto looking for just the right angle. I tried from the railing by the front door but didn’t like the lower dining area in the foreground. I asked the Hostess if I could have dinner in the lower dining area and stay there for the show but they don’t allow people down there during the show because the show is on after park closing. I asked about seeing it from the Cove Bar and was told that I can get a table at the bar during the show but it is a $10.00 cover charge per person to view the show from there. That was fine with me. I went to the bar and walked down the railing, looking to see exactly which chair I wanted and made my selection. I asked the server what time I had to be there to guarantee the spot I want and he said I should be there by around 6:30. I actually went there around 5:00, grabbed my table and waited for the 8:15 show. At least it was a bar so I had stuff to eat and drink. (Diane went to Mandara Spa for a facial while I was camping out.)

Once it got dark, I set up my tripod and camera and started laying out the shot. If you have seen the World of Color show, and I’m assuming that all of you have, you know that during the show, the Fun Wheel, Swings, Hotel and Zephyr are all dark. This is why I had to shoot them all in advance so the final image would have everything moving and lit at the same time. I framed the shot, calculated the settings to allow me the long exposure that I wanted and watched. Those settings were designed to give me Exposure Brackets of -2, 0 and +2. To do that, I set the Aperture to F/13 so all the different items at different distances would be in sharp focus. I set the ISO at 100 (very important because I didn’t want any noise in the sky or elsewhere, especially when merging images) It is also EXTREMEMLY important that you do not move the camera at all for the entire time because when layering all the different shots together in Photoshop, it is much easier if they line up with each other.

First I watched the Fun Wheel waiting for it to spin and change colors into colors that I liked. I adjusted the focal point on the camera to be the single point on the Fun Wheel because that was the only element of the final photo that I was concerned with. I took several shots of the fun wheel in all different colors and exposure settings.

Next, I moved the focal point to Paradise Pier Hotel and took a few shots of it at different exposures so I had a nice one to choose from.

Next, I moved the focal point to the swings and took several shots of it, both sitting still and spinning so I could choose whichever one I wanted.

Then I moved the focal point to the Golden Zephyr and took a bunch of shots of it spinning, sitting still and at different exposures. I knew it would take several shots of it merged together to get the blur of light that I wanted. After that it was a matter of waiting for the show to begin.

Once the show began, photographing it is a matter of shutter speed because it moves so quickly that a long exposure would just be a mess. To get that shutter speed, I increased the Aperture to F/4.5 and the ISO to 400. This gave me a speed of ¼ second which is ok for what I was after. To be honest, I wasn’t really after images of the show itself because my angle wasn’t that great for it and the high fountains and water screens would obscure the subjects in the background. I was after the short segment at the end of the show when it is just colored lights and lower fountains changing colors. I snapped a bunch of shots of that so I could choose the colors that I wanted and match them to the different colors on the Fun Wheel. With all the different colors to choose from I can create several different composite photos later on.

Here are the images I will start with. These four are going to be merged into one so the Zephyr will be a blur of light. Notice that they are also light and dark so it balances out better.

This is the one that I will use for the Hotel.

This is the shot for the Fun Wheel.

This is the shot of the Fountains.

First I am going to open the four images for the Zephyr in Photoshop Elements. Click on all 4 photos and go to File – New – Photomerge Exposure.

That will combine those images into 1 and bring up this screen. Just click Done and save that image as Zephyr Merge.

After that, open the images you want to use for the hotel, swings, Fun Wheel, Fountains and the Zephyr Merge.

First I’m going to click on the image of the hotel and start with that as the background. Then click and drag Zephyr Merge on top of it. Then like we’ve done in previous lessons, create a Levels Adjustment Layer, then click on the Zephyr Merge level and Control +G. Now we have a clipping group and can paint over the parts we want to keep.

I am assuming I don’t need to go into the whole “foreground color to Black or White” discussion and choosing the proper size brush. For this, I painted over the entire image so it is easier to see what I want to keep and paint over the hotel to bring it forward into the image. I was a little bright, so I adjusted the opacity of the brush (at the top) to 50% so the hotel was more balanced for the scene.

Next, click on the Zephyr Merge layer.

Then click and drag the image of the Fun Wheel on top of the others.

Then click on the Zephyr Merge layer.

Then make another Levels Adjustment Layer, click back on the Fun Wheel Layer and Control +G.

Paint over everything but the Fun Wheel. Notice the reflection of Mickey’s face on the water. This will come into play a little later.

Then click on that layer and do the same thing with the photo of the Fountains. You will need to zoom in very close to paint in between the different water bursts.

This is what it looks like at this stage.

Put your mouse over Mickey Mouse and select a brush size that just covers Mickey’s face. Then set the opacity of the brush at 10%.

Then click on the reflection of his face. You might have to click it a few times to bring it up to the level that you want.

Here is where we are at this stage.

Most people would think it is done at this stage. I think there is more to be done however, but we can’t do the next steps in layers. VERY IMPORTANT to save it as a PSD so you can swap out different elements of it later. Then at the top of the page, click on Layer – Flatten Image.

Now I want to get rid of any unwanted distractions that don’t need to be there and draw the eye away from the important stuff. On the top of the hotel there is a structure and spot light that is distracting. Use the Clone Stamp tool, select a spot right above the hotel and get rid of the light and that structure.

Do the same thing for the spot light on the side of the hotel.

Then the same thing for the light on top of the Zephyr.

And here is the final image.

For other images, you can open the PSD, click on the layer you want to change out, right click it and Delete Layer it and then click File – Place and select the photo you want to change out. It will put that photo right in the layer you deleted. Then click Control + G and it will put that part right where you wanted it.

Here’s a few others I did the same thing to.

I know this was a really long and verbose lesson but I hope it’s been a good one.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• 12 Year Annual Passholder

WOW! Awesome job! I'm blown away.

^Art by me!
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 5.26.15}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 21

• Minion

I forgot to mention in todays post that we are planning the next Mice Chat Photo Meet for Sunday March 6th. Disneyland photo enthusiasts of all levels are welcome to join us.

I will start a thread for it in the Meets and Events area for discussions on it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I forgot to mention in todays post that we are planning the next Mice Chat Photo Meet for Sunday March 6th. Disneyland photo enthusiasts of all levels are welcome to join us.

I will start a thread for it in the Meets and Events area for discussions on it.
    Thanks for this entire series, Mike, but especially that last tutorial. I know how time consuming it was to put that together for us. Speaking from experience, (I've said this before, but it bears repeating) before I found Micechat, I didn't own a digital camera and knew nothing of Photoshop, Lightroom, Nik Effects, etc, etc. I bought my first copy of photoshop elements back in 2006 and learned most of whatever I know the hard way. I really wish your thread was around back then, and that we had photo meets where I could hang out with folks like you, Gregg, Ryan, the great character Jedi Master Disney Grandpa, Corey, Tiki Mike and everyone else we have hung out with recently. Every time I go to one of these meets I learn something new.

So I really hope more folks can make it out on Sunday, March 6! I'm looking forward to it!

simply amazing. thanks for all of your hard work!!

Hey thanks for the kind shout-out Mike!
    Awesome job on your image, and, as always great job on the tutorial.
    I am constantly amazed at how many different ways there are to get to the same place, and how we all have out differences in taking the shots and running the processes...
    Congrats on your fantastic image and all of the "Explore" tags you have been getting lately in flickr!!
    Looking forward to the next meetup!

Gregg

Stunning! And I love the patterns from the lights on the Fun Wheel. I'm going to be trying this on a much smaller scale with the Astro Orbiter as seen from Pixie Hollow (a shot I've tried but haven't been satisfied with).

Nice work as always. I am excited to finally get back to Disneyland this weekend to get some shots. This will be my first time with a DSLR and I am very excited--especially after all that I have learned from your lessons.

The one lesson that you have not covered is how to chase a toddler around the park without breaking your camera.
    - Bobd