Page 61 of 158 FirstFirst ... 113651585960616263647186111 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

In place of a tutorial, here's today's pretties. (FYI, "Pretties" is a reference to the greatest TV show ever made - Firefly)
    I call this one "The Great Train Race"
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

That's a dining area? lol And the Great Train Race is shiny

• No really, I need AAMS :)

I was very inspired by the "Watching People Work post"(post #264), and finally got around to trying my own take on this idea. It's not great, but I thought I'd share anyways

Dapper Dans | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This one isn't of people working, but still kinda follows the same principle idea.
    Dancing at Princess Fantasy Faire | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I also wanted to thank you again for continuing to inspire me to try different ideas, and use different techniques with my photography.
    Hey look, I have a flickr!!!
    I just started so all constructive criticism is appreciated
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canhasal/

Aladdin A Musical Spectacular
    show count: 133 times

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginOnAStar View Post
    That's a dining area? lol And the Great Train Race is shiny
    Shiny! Nice!!! BTW, Beginning Sunday March 6th, the Science Channel will be airing Firefly hosted by a top scientist (whose name I can't remember). During the breaks, he will be discussing the science behind the story and effects. They will air the pilot that night, followed by all the rest of them IN ORDER on following Sunday's. Even though I have 3 sets of the DVD's, I'm setting my DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by canhasal View Post
    I was very inspired by the "Watching People Work post"(post #264), and finally got around to trying my own take on this idea. It's not great, but I thought I'd share anyways

Dapper Dans | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This one isn't of people working, but still kinda follows the same principle idea.
    Dancing at Princess Fantasy Faire | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I also wanted to thank you again for continuing to inspire me to try different ideas, and use different techniques with my photography.
    I LOVE those! I've taken some shots of the feet of the color guard during the flag retreat ceremony when they are marching in place but never of guests standing around. I like it!

• Minion

2-21-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is another in the ongoing series of Family Portrait tutorials.

In my quest to find the coolest and most unique locations in Disneyland to take pictures of your loved ones, some of my favorites have been while sitting for the Caricature Artists such as this one featured in a column a while back.

In the same vain, I thought it would be interesting to do one while the person is seated for a silhouette in the Silhouette Studio on Main St. Trying to achieve this proved to be somewhat difficult though. The space is very small, you are within 2 feet of the subject, the lighting is very strong if taken after 12:00 and everything around you is pink making the white balance confusing to the camera.

First I had my wife Diane and Plush Mickey pose for a double silhouette. I took this around 4:45 pm and the afternoon sunlight was pouring in the door completely blowing out the subject. The only position to take this shot is on my knees, against the door, which puts me about 2 feet from Diane. I had no assistant to block the light, so needless to say, these were a complete failure.

A few minutes later, a very nice family came in and had their daughter Brianna pose for one. I asked if I could try to photograph her and they were kind enough to let me. At first the sun was causing the same problem as it did with Diane so I had her father stand in the doorway to block the sunlight. This worked perfectly so I was able to get this shot.

As you can see in the above photo, all the pink wallpaper leaves a pinkish hue on people and the lady cutting the silhouettes has scraps of paper on her lap which can be a distraction. First, I dropped the color temperature down to 3100. Setting the White Balance to Tungsten will do the same thing. (Notice that this is also the same lighting condition and color as in the Plaza Inn. The same remedy too.) Then I used the Spot Healing Tool to clean up the scraps on her skirt and added a slight Gaussian Blur to the background leaving the girl in focus.

I also took the same photo and made the background Black & White.

And, made the entire photo Black & White, which is my favorite. Thankfully the family liked them as well.

I hope this gives you some inspiration to make some magical memories of your family. If you have any favorite spots in Disneyland for family portraits, please let me know. I would love to check them out.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 02-21-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Shiny! Nice!!! BTW, Beginning Sunday March 6th, the Science Channel will be airing Firefly hosted by a top scientist (whose name I can't remember). During the breaks, he will be discussing the science behind the story and effects. They will air the pilot that night, followed by all the rest of them IN ORDER on following Sunday's. Even though I have 3 sets of the DVD's, I'm setting my DVR.
    I KNOW!! I'm so excited to hear the expert dissect the science, especially since the technology that the verse is based on seems like such a small and reasonable step away from what we have currently. I've also heard talk about buying the rights so they can make new episodes, but nothing concrete yet. As a side note, for Christmas my husband bought me Serenity: A Shepard's Tale and it was beautiful.

First, I dropped the color temperature down to 3100. Setting the White Balance to Tungsten will do the same thing.
    Thank you! I'm seriously going to find a chart that corresponds with my pre-sets. I actually learned that pink lighting is TERRIBLE for skin while I was watching a local community theater show. I knew something was wrong, but if I wasn't sitting next to a lighting designer I probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out. I was with another theater friend at the park and he commented on the lovely soft pink ambient lighting at the parade route outside Small World. I thought they used pink inside the buildings on Main Street to lend them a Victorian feel, but I suppose it's just as much about the ambient lighting as the period look.
    As for your final photo, I can't decide which one I like best. I like the feel that each color effect gives, so for me the most definitive part in your processing was clearing up the distractions and making certain that your subject was in focus while still allowing us to explore the story that the background tells.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginOnAStar View Post
    I KNOW!! I'm so excited to hear the expert dissect the science, especially since the technology that the verse is based on seems like such a small and reasonable step away from what we have currently. I've also heard talk about buying the rights so they can make new episodes, but nothing concrete yet. As a side note, for Christmas my husband bought me Serenity: A Shepard's Tale and it was beautiful.

Thank you! I'm seriously going to find a chart that corresponds with my pre-sets. I actually learned that pink lighting is TERRIBLE for skin while I was watching a local community theater show. I knew something was wrong, but if I wasn't sitting next to a lighting designer I probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out. I was with another theater friend at the park and he commented on the lovely soft pink ambient lighting at the parade route outside Small World. I thought they used pink inside the buildings on Main Street to lend them a Victorian feel, but I suppose it's just as much about the ambient lighting as the period look.
    As for your final photo, I can't decide which one I like best. I like the feel that each color effect gives, so for me the most definitive part in your processing was clearing up the distractions and making certain that your subject was in focus while still allowing us to explore the story that the background tells.
    Yes, that pink ligting is horrible for skin tones, especially since the girl had strawberry blonde hair and fair skin. I always feel bad for people when I'm in Plaza Inn for the Character Breakfast and they don't change the white balance to Tungsten because they paid all that money for the characters and all the photos will suck.

I have the DVD of Firefly a Fans Tale and it is also really good, although filled with some very strange people. Does A Shepard's Tale give the background on Shepard Book? That's what all of us really want to know and sadly they never got the chance to explore it.

Very well said about cleaning up the distractions and exploring the story that the background tells. I couldn't have said that better myself. I might have to use that phrase in the future.

I suppose for the most part, they don't have a frame of reference. I don't think that people who point and shoot are upset about the quality of their photos unless it's blurred beyond recognition. I've seen a ton of blurry fireworks shots in friend's and family's photo albums but they're just content that they had an image to remember. The amateur mistake I'm sick of seeing at the parks is when people misuse the flash. It's pretty annoying to watch people take flash photos of Buzz in the Astro Blasters queue, but it's downright painful when your eyes are directly in the line of fire when someone is trying to take a photo of something behind you. I actually had someone fire a flash directly into my eyes on Alice. I was PISSED. And not only are they going to get a photo of how the ride looks without the intended lighting, they came home with a photo of ME, alone in my caterpillar.

I hadn't heard of it, but I'll be watching it soon! Yes, Book's comic tells all. It's a must read.

• Some imagination, huh?

I think I actually like the first shot the best, because I feel that when you use the blur on the silhouette maker, it kind of removes the whole purpose of the shot (which I presume is to be a portrait of a girl getting her silhouette done, not a portrait of a girl).

Request! Can you do a tutorial someday of good B&W processing? I really like how clean your conversions are.

• Minion

Here's the pretty for today.

• Elk Grove Chris

So nice to be able to lurk in the shadows...great shot!
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• formerly very helpful

Here's the pretty for today.
    that was always one of my favorite places to eat in the park. great atmosphere. Pretty good food. If you were lucky, you'd dine listening to a Dixieland band.
    It's so pretty before all the people come in and make a mess.

• Minion

2-23-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” harkens back to the World of Color tutorial I did a little while ago where we layered several photos on top of each other to achieve a certain look. A few days ago I posted this “Cat & Mouse” photo.

Between Mice Chat and Flickr I received several questions wondering how it was done. So, today we’ll do another World of Color photo using the same technique. I’ll call it the World of Color Reflected Blend.

Like my other World of Color tutorial, I set my camera up on a tripod and took several photos of the Fun Wheel before the show began. Then, without moving the camera, I adjusted the settings for faster shutter speed, such as increasing my Aperture to F/3.5 and the ISO to Auto instead of 100 which is what I used for the Fun Wheel shots. This way I could photograph the different elements of the show and capture them effectively. (I did make one mistake, which was not lowering my Exposure Compensation 1 stop. Had I done so, I would have tripled my “good" shots.)

I selected my favorite shots of the Fun Wheel with different colors and patterns to blend with shots of the show that fit the colors on the Fun Wheel. Here are the two images I am going to work with. NOTE: First, in the Canon RAW software I edited this photo of the fountains.

I tried dropping the Color Temperature down to 3300 and it gave me purple highlights that I really liked.

I had a shot of the Fun Wheel in Blue that I was going to use for the first one, but I also had a shot of the fun wheel that was blue and purple so I decided to use all of them and make two different composites at the same time.

First, I opened the Fun Wheel and Fountain shots in Photoshop Elements and did the usual Layer Mask placing the fountains on top of the Fun Wheel.

You can see how I painted over the edges to blend them together cleanly.

Here is what it looks like at this point. Personally, I like this as it is but I’ll continue on for the sake of the tutorial.

I saved it as a PSD in case I need to revisit it later and also saved it as a jpeg. Next I opened the jpeg in Photoscape.

Then in the Crop tab, select Crop Freely and crop it right at the base of the fountains.

That gives you this wide and narrow image.

Next, go to Filter – Reflection and click that.

That brings up this small box that allows you to set the size and amount of the reflection. You can also change the foreground color of it to black or white. For this I obviously chose black. I set the Size at 75% and Level at 120%, leaving the perspective at 0.

Here is what it looks like at this point. As you can see, the reflection is too clean and crisp to look real.

If you are curious, here it what it would have looked like with the Size at 100%. It was just a bit too much for my taste.

I saved this image as a jpeg and then opened it up in Photoshop Elements. I zoomed in on the bottom half of the frame and selected the Rectangular Marquee Tool.

I highlighted a rectangle right in the middle of the fountains and reflection down to the bottom of the image.

Then I went to Filter – Blur – Surface Blur. The reason for this is to add a slight blur on the surface of the water so it looks more natural.

That brings up this window. I set the Radius at 15 and Threshold at 32. This makes a pretty smooth and soft blur.

All we have to do now is save it as whatever we want to call it and we have our final image.

Here is the one I did with the blue fountains and fun wheel as well.

Like I said before, personally I like it better without the reflection because the fountains look great on the water. However, it worked beautifully on the Cat and Mouse photo so that’s why I wanted to show you how it was done.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

A very nice "photoshop" indeed.

• Minion

Here's the shot for the day. This is a 3 exposure HDR image processed in Photomatix, then merged with the normal exposure image in Photoshop Elements. I then opened it in Photoscape and hit the brighten +25% button to lighten up the rocks on the waters edge. Then I did a slight graduated tint on the sky to darken it a little.

With the next Photo Meet rapidly approaching I thought tomorrow would be a good day to go over shooting the fireworks from different locations in Disneyland. It should be a blast!