Page 65 of 158 FirstFirst ... 154055626364656667687590115 ... LastLast

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

I find that photos of people are just as intriguing as landscape photos. Way to go Diane!
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    Still reading daily. Keep up the good work!

On a side note, I liked your wife's first photo better also. When I look at your fun wheel photo, I think about composition and I start to critique the capture. However, when I look at the photo of the three kids I pause and just enjoy the emotion conveyed by the picture.
    That's exactly how I feel. My Fun Wheel photo is pretty but it requires nor inspires any thought. Her photo makes you wonder what they were looking at and at the very least makes you laugh.

I think that if your wife had taken that shot at the photo meet, she would be a frontrunner in your competition! In my humble opinion, her picture goes a long way in telling Disneyland's story.
    She says THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    I find that photos of people are just as intriguing as landscape photos. Way to go Diane!
    DIane says Thanks! She's glad that people like the things that she sees through the camera.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

I almost forgot about the "Pretty" for today.
    This is another test of my new Sigma 8-16mm lens doing some HDR work with it at night.

• Minion

Sorry I didn't get a regular post done today. I'm swamped at work and the article I'm working on is taking a lot of time to write.
    Here's a "Pretty" for the day.
    I took this while having dinner at Ariel's Grotto in the lower, water level dining area. This little girl was sitting on the wall just staring at Mickey's Fun Wheel. She was so still that it gave me time to shoot a bracket for an HDR, which turned out to be important because it was just after sunset and the lighting there wasn't very good. The actual photo had the fun wheel on the left and it wasn't lit worth a darn so I swaped it out with a different shot of it that fit the lighting and color of her dress better.

I hope to have the next article done in a day or two.

• Minion

I have to apologize again for not having a new tutorial up yet. I'm still working on the same one and having a little difficulty organizing my thoughts in an intelligent manner. It may be one of my most important articles, even though it doesn't have any photographs in it. Hopefully I'll have it up later tonight. In the mean time, here's the "pretty" for the day.

• Minion

3-24-11
    Todayís ďDisneyland Photo Tip of the DayĒ is the first tutorial that doesnít have anything to do with photography and doesnít have any pictures. This column is about the Photographerís Widow.

My wife and I were having a conversation about our photo trips to Disneyland and all of our photographer friends that join us for many of our photo meets. In all the times weíve met up, we rarely ever see the photographerís spouse or significant other. This got us thinking about the difficulties a couple or family can face at Disneyland when one person is a photo enthusiast and the others are not.

Weíve been discussing this for quite some time, from both sides of the lens and from the view point of both sexes. Hopefully these simple truths can alleviate some of the inherent complications that can arise should you find yourself in this situation.

If you are planning a trip to Disneyland with your family or just your spouse and one of you enjoys taking pictures but the other does not, here are some tips keep in mind. These may not be true for everyone, but in general, they are good guidelines to follow.

1. Have an Open and Honest Discussion. Before you go to Disneyland you both need to sit down and have an honest discussion about what each of you wants to do at the parks. If you want to take pictures all day and donít care about riding rides, you need to realize that they might have other plans and donít want to stand around all day while you take pictures. It is their trip to Disneyland too. They also didnít go to Disneyland with you to go your separate ways while you take pictures and they ride rides. They went to Disneyland to enjoy the day and spend time with you.

Whenever we plan a trip to the Land, Diane asks me what my plans are and what I want to photograph. She tells me what she wants to do and we create a plan for the day. Usually it will entail a nice breakfast, then taking pictures for a few hours, lunch at Cafť Orleans, which is the requirement she gives me for putting up with my photography all day, a ride or two and taking pictures until security kicks me out of the park.

The point is to make sure you come up with a fair and equal plan that works for both of you.

2. Donít get them a camera. Unless they tell you repeatedly that they want a camera, do not fool yourself into thinking that you are being magnanimous by getting them a camera. It might seem like a good idea because you really want to share your passion with them and take pictures together but you have to realize how that may translate to the other person. To the ďNon-photographic SpouseĒ, a gift of a camera feels like itís more for you than it is for them. Itís like saying that you want them to take pictures with you so you wonít feel guilty about ignoring them and that your hobby is more important than theirs. Even though that isnít your intention, it can be how they perceive it. Trying to get them to pose for pictures (if they donít want to) is also a way of trying to involve them in what you want to do and ignoring what they want to do. If they do end up inheriting your hand-me-down camera and use it, it is possible that they are just trying to make you happy. In time, this can lead to some resentment and troubles. Your relationship should be 50/50 so you need to put the camera away once in a while and actively partake in what they enjoy doing.

Another side of this coin is what happened with Diane and me. When I upgraded to my DSLR, I gave her my old Point & Shoot camera and was excited that we could go to Disneyland and take pictures together. We did this once then she didnít show any desire to do it again. As it turned out, she felt that she couldnít compete with the HDRís and fancy types of photos that I was taking, so she quickly got discouraged and didnít want to try. Even though I never thought of it like that, it was how she felt. It wasnít until about a year later that she discovered the style of photography called Street Photography and found her own style of taking pictures. Now that she has her own distinct voice for photography, she doesnít mind spending the day just taking pictures and challenging herself to capture that unique human element that you find in Disneyland. She has even said that she could sit at the Partners Statue all day watching people and taking the photographs as they unfold in front of her.

3. Know when take advantage of down time. If your spouse or children have to go to the bathroom, tell them you will be right over there taking pictures. Make sure you are in a straight view of the bathroom door so they can easily find you when they exit. If there are other nearby locations that you want to photograph, tell them exactly where you will be if not in sight of the exit. Another way to take advantage of down time is to spend quality time with your family or significant other when you are in line for attractions. If there isnít anything special that you want to photograph in the queue, use that time to pay attention to them.

4. Meal times are for eating, not going through your photos. Nobody likes it when someone is busy texting or playing on their phone while at the dinner table, so the same goes for your camera. I have to admit, that I am horribly guilty of this.

5. Little things can go a long way. The simple act of holding their hand means that you are happy they are there and that they are more important than your camera at least for that moment. Try asking if they would like something to drink and getting it for them. Little things that show you care will make your day go a lot smoother.

6. Be prepared to pay for a friend. If you really want to spend the entire day taking pictures but your spouse wants to ride rides and run around like a little kid, it might be a good idea to see if they want to invite a friend or family member. If they have a buddy to run around with and that is what makes them happy, you should be prepared to pay for their friend to join them. This can take away a lot of strife and head butting and is well worth the money. Photography is an expensive hobby, so just add their pass to that cost.

I hope these little tips help keep you and your significant other happy and able to enjoy the parks together for years to come.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• Some imagination, huh?

Good post. Sometimes when I go out with friends, I am too busy taking photos to really spend time just enjoying the park with them. Or sometimes, I am too busy trying to capture a moment than BE in the moment, which has made me miss out on a lot of fun sometimes.

But then again, they don't seem to mind too much when they see the photos (they've actually stopped bringing their cameras altogether knowing I'll be there haha).

This is so true. Especially with kids you can get so caught up in trying to get that perfect photo to remember your trip and completly miss the trip. How often do we really look at our pictures after a trip. I would rather have the memories of actually being there with the people than looking at them in a book or on a screen.

Great post! I've come to terms with my husband not partaking in most of my hobbies, and vice versa but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Of course we want to spend time doing things we enjoy with our spouses and significant others, but sometimes it's nice to be able to go out alone and devote 100% of our focus and attention into our craft. And I can't tell you how many awesome people I've met through my hobbies because I'm more inclined to be more social when I'm not focusing on my husband.

• Minion

3-28-11
    Todayís ďDisneyland Photo Tip of the DayĒ takes a look back at a photo from the past that I havenít been very happy with and reprocesses it with some new skills and a fresh eye. For that reason Iím calling this post Never delete old RAW files. In the past, I used to convert all my RAW files into jpegís and then delete the RAW files to save space on my hard drive. I also deleted any pictures that I didnít like or know what to do with. Only in the past year did I start keeping them just in case I needed to access them again. Itís a good thing to hold onto all your photos because your post processing skills will continue to improve and you never know if you can find a diamond in the rough.

Iíve had this photo in my screensaver for quite some time and when I originally processed it, I thought it was great. For the past several months, itís annoyed me every time it came up. The color temperature wasnít right, the Tomorrowland sign was over exposed and it seems a little too busy. I had taken it with the intention of making it into a HDR Stop Motion Fusion shot by shooting the Astro Orbiter in brackets while spinning and brackets while it was stopped. I made each of those into separate HDR images then merged them together in Photoshop Elements. This is the original image.

Now that Iíve improved my post processing skills (in no small part thanks to Corsair 13), I decided to give it a whirl again and see what I could do differently. I lowered the color temperature to make it a little more accurate to what I saw and reprocessed both brackets in Photomatix. Then I merged them together in Photoshop Elements and then layer masked the -2 exposure image on top of it, just brushing in the Tomorrowland sign so it wasnít over exposed. I also masked out the upper half of the spinning image to make the bottom portion spinning streaks of light and the top half perfectly still. By having half of it spinning and half of it still, it makes it a little more unique and more interesting. (at least to me)

So, in conclusion, KEEP those old files, even if you have to get a back up hard drive to store them on. As your skills improve, you might just want to revisit them again.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

Do you EVER sleep? I don't know how you find time to run your business, take all these cool pictures, process them, AND find time to write this column?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

good tip on keeping the RAWs. when i first started out, I was converting them to TIFFs. Glad that didn't last long. another tip for keeping RAWs and saving space is to convert them to DNG's. Adobe's open format "Digital Negative."

I'd be cautious a little in keeping every single shot tho. Over time, it will catch up with you. I have about 100gigs left on my 2 terabyte drive and I am now facing upgrading to 3TB drives which means 2 of them cause one is used to back up the other with Time Machine. so it is becoming costly and daunting in the thought of having to get rid of something or shelling out monies for two 3TB drives.

I too liked your "photographer's widow" post. It was great getting to meet you at the park during my last trip, but I knew that if I spent too much time chatting, not to mention taking pictures, I might have ruined the experience for my family. As it turned out, I had a blast working on my handheld photography and taking a ton of pictures of my kids.

Photography is great, but the parks were built for more than just a place for a photographer to build a portfolio. I would never go to Disneyland without my camera, but I also donít want to miss a magical moment because of my camera.
    - Bobd

• We Go On.

Amazing Astro Orbitor processing! I thought improving that photo was impossible... guess it wasn't!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by timbre View Post
    Do you EVER sleep? I don't know how you find time to run your business, take all these cool pictures, process them, AND find time to write this column?
    Sleep! I can do that when I'm dead. Then again, at the pace I'm going, that will be sooner than later. I average about 5 hours of sleep a day. (NOT ENOUGH!)

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    good tip on keeping the RAWs. when i first started out, I was converting them to TIFFs. Glad that didn't last long. another tip for keeping RAWs and saving space is to convert them to DNG's. Adobe's open format "Digital Negative."

I'd be cautious a little in keeping every single shot tho. Over time, it will catch up with you. I have about 100gigs left on my 2 terabyte drive and I am now facing upgrading to 3TB drives which means 2 of them cause one is used to back up the other with Time Machine. so it is becoming costly and daunting in the thought of having to get rid of something or shelling out monies for two 3TB drives.
    I do delete the really bad ones, but I'm taking so many that I just don't seem to have time to go through and get rid of any of them. I just kind of pick the ones I like best, focus on processing those and leave the rest alone. Once in a while I'll go into some older folders and see if there are any I like that I've missed and usually find several that make me say, "why haven't I done anything with this shot yet?"

I too liked your "photographer's widow" post. It was great getting to meet you at the park during my last trip, but I knew that if I spent too much time chatting, not to mention taking pictures, I might have ruined the experience for my family. As it turned out, I had a blast working on my handheld photography and taking a ton of pictures of my kids.

Photography is great, but the parks were built for more than just a place for a photographer to build a portfolio. I would never go to Disneyland without my camera, but I also don’t want to miss a magical moment because of my camera.
    That last line is BRILLIANT! I wish I had thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Amazing Astro Orbitor processing! I thought improving that photo was impossible... guess it wasn't!
    Thank you! I didn't think about it when I was processing it last night but the new photo also has a much better Rule of 3rd's usage. The Tomorrowland Sign in the lower third, the spinning streaks of light in the middle and the frozen Astro Orbiter in the top 3rd. Since the older photo is all blurred, it doesn't have as much separation from blur to still and only fills in about 2/3rds of the compositional requirement.