Page 66 of 158 FirstFirst ... 164156636465666768697691116 ... LastLast

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

I finally have some Dinseyland pictures to share with the class. I will not clutter this thread with my shots, but they can be found here:

My First Trip Report!!! (Feb. 10 & 11)

Of course, these are not all mine. My wife gets credit for a good deal of the pictures.
    - Bobd

• Minion

Sorry about no post today. I was at Disneyland yesterday taking lots and lots and lots of pictures, then hanging out with Mac Daddy, Corsair, SeaWolf, Disney Beach Girl, SwingingOnAStar and a new photo friend who fits right in with the rest of us photo geeks.

Here's a few "Pretties" for today.

I'll be back tomorrow with what I hope will be a very interesting and unique tutorial. It will definitely be different than anything you've seen from me before.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

3-31-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is going to blur the line between art and photography with Photographic Impressionism.

A few weeks ago I saw a photo on Flickr from an amazing photographer that I follow named Thomas Hawk. It was of two women walking down a sidewalk and the photo was so blurry that you could barely make out the shape of the person. It seemed like it was more art than photo and reminded me of some kind of impressionist painting. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashawk/5546314135/in/photostream/
    I had never seen a photo like this and I instantly fell in love with its simplicity and unique style. I knew that I had to figure out how to do it and try it at Disneyland, then share it with you.

Until today I didn’t even know there was an actual style of photography called Photographic Impressionism. I only discovered it when I looked up the term because it was what I wanted to call this post. In my research I discovered that there are several different techniques that people use, each of them achieving different results. Some people project an image onto a piece of cloth, then distort the cloth and take a picture of it. Other people take several images of something and layer them on top of each other in Photoshop. All of them seemed like a lot of work to me. Not that I don’t believe in or spend a ton of time post processing pictures, but most “Professional” photographers will say that you should do everything you can in the camera and I like to follow that advice whenever I can.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

I picked the Main St. Train Station to give it shot. (no pun intended) Since this was my first time trying this and I’ve never read or seen anything on how to do it, I’ll share with you what I learned via trial and error. First I tried using my kit lens and setting the aperture as large as I could at F/3.5. I set the lens on Manual Focus because it obviously needs to be blurry. This worked ok but wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. I also wasn’t sure how they would actually look on a computer screen as compared to my LCD screen on the camera so I had to take a bunch of photos to try and cover my bases.

A few things that I discovered;
    1. A large aperture of F/2 works much better. I put on my 50mm F/1.4 lens and seemed to get better results.
    2. White shades and bright lights get overexposed very easy, so you need to lower your exposure compensation down 1/3 to 2/3rds.
    3. It doesn’t seem to work very well on tight crowds because all the people blur into one big mess of color.
    4. The visual style seems to work best when there are one or two people in the frame and they are at least 30 feet away from you.
    5. When you look through the viewfinder, turn the focusing ring on the lens to the point where the image is in focus then turn it just slightly out of focus. It is very easy to go too far, but that all depends upon what you want it to look like.
    6. Too much pattern or too much of one color can be overwhelming.

Here are a bunch of examples, some good, and some bad. This one of people sitting at the train station is a good example of why crowd shots seem kind of messy.

I was farther away from this crowd in New Orleans Square but it still didn’t quite work.

I was the same distance from Diane but because she was the only person in the frame, it creates an interesting shot.

A few more examples of a single person in the frame, at least 30 feet from me.

Here’s an example of one that I think is way too blurry.

Since this is a work of art instead of a life like photograph, really saturating the colors can add extra artistic effect to it. This is at 150% saturation

Here it is at 200%, which you would never do with a normal photo.

For this shot from the exit of the New Orleans Square train station, I wanted it just barely out of focus to give the photo a natural but still artistic feeling.

I also liked the bokeh effect of the light reflecting off the train as it pulled into the station.

I’m not sure how I feel about this shot of the partners Statue with the Matterhorn in the background.

Even though I am really the only one looking at my photos on a daily basis and the only person I have to please is me, I would love to hear your thoughts on these.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Very interesting. I'm gonna try this a f1.2. Thank you for sharing this method.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Very interesting. I'm gonna try this a f1.2. Thank you for sharing this method.
    I tried it at F/1.4 and it really seemed to over blow everything. F/2 seemed to work the best. However, if you are farther away from the subject or it is not in broad daylight (I took those around noon), F/1.2 might work well too.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

good point. I was hoping f1.2 with less "out of focus" would create a similar effect with better bokeh. I'll definitely try your advice of 2.0 as well.

• Closed Account

Re: The Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day...

OH MY GRINNING GHOST!! Where has this thread been?! Right under my MiceChat viewing nose..

I'm a SLR newbie (although got my camera over a year ago) and I've been trying to take amazing Disney pictures for the past year, without success

Can't afford to take classes, and photography is a hobbie and Disney is my BIGGEST hobby so I've been wanting to take amazing shots like the ones I've seen here...

I'm so tickled pink right now! Yaaay!!

THANK YOU HOT SAUCE!!!!!!

Disneydancer - there are several very good books on how to set up good pictures. Other than that (or a class), it's a lot of just taking pictures, and seeing what works, and what doesn't.

It's an excuse to spend lots of time taking pictures!

It's interesting to look at the impressionistic pictures; I might have to try a couple of these. I've never done anything deliberately out of focus other than backgrounds.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

lol this is how my pictures turn out when i actually try to get a clear shot ..

What a fantastic way to play with shapes and colors! My favorites are the train entering the tunnel with the one cast member and I really love this version of Partners.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    good point. I was hoping f1.2 with less "out of focus" would create a similar effect with better bokeh. I'll definitely try your advice of 2.0 as well.
    I should also mention that when shooting like this, the actual picture will be a lot blurrier than it appears through your viewfinder or on your camera screen. It really doesn't take being very out of focus for it to show the "impression" of what the photo is about.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydancer76 View Post
    OH MY GRINNING GHOST!! Where has this thread been?! Right under my MiceChat viewing nose..

I'm a SLR newbie (although got my camera over a year ago) and I've been trying to take amazing Disney pictures for the past year, without success

Can't afford to take classes, and photography is a hobbie and Disney is my BIGGEST hobby so I've been wanting to take amazing shots like the ones I've seen here...

I'm so tickled pink right now! Yaaay!!

THANK YOU HOT SAUCE!!!!!!
    My pleasure! Definitely join us on our next Photo Meet.

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginOnAStar View Post
    What a fantastic way to play with shapes and colors! My favorites are the train entering the tunnel with the one cast member and I really love this version of Partners.
    I'm glad you like them. From the response, or should I say "lack of response" I'm getting from them on my Flickr page, I don't think many people understand or appreciate them as a different form of photography.

It is funny that you just now posted this lesson. There has been an exhibit of photography artwork on display in the hallway into my office for the past six months that uses this very technique. They just took it down last week.

Maybe I am biased from the work that I saw on display, but I really like it when the bokeh from lights is part of the composition. A good example would be your train shot, which I really liked.

Most of the examples in the exhibit were of night shots, where the subject had numerous lights attached to it. For example, the Reno arch was entirely out of focus. With this composition you could tell what the subject was, and it really popped out in the image, but it was a view of the subject that most people have never seen. Another good example would be an out of focus Christmas tree at night.

As always, nice work Hot Sauce 1!
    Last edited by Bobd20011; 03-31-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Bad spelling.
    - Bobd

• Minion

I'm a day behind on turorials so here's an interesting accident that I really like and might try to do (on purpose next time) again. It's all in the spirit of the Photographic Impressionism that I discussed yesterday.

I was in a hurry to take a shot of the Columbia as it prepared for its nightly Fantasmic performance. I set my camera on the top of a railing to take a bracketed exposure by hand and snapped off the first two shots ok but the third +2 exposure was going to take 20 seconds. I knew that there was no way to do this by hand so after a few seconds I just gave up and let the camera swing around while I set up my tripod. The shutter was open the entire time and this is what it made. I like that it got enough of the Columbia to know what it was but the rest is all a mess. For some reason I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I'm glad you like them. From the response, or should I say "lack of response" I'm getting from them on my Flickr page, I don't think many people understand or appreciate them as a different form of photography.
    Oh I TOTALLY understand. The only reason why I posted mine is because of your post here and I was tempted to pull them down until my dad called and raved about the forward shot. I got a decent amount of hits, but hardly anybody had anything to say and I only have one favorite on each photo. I'm not giving up yet. I am still open to trying some time lapse double exposures. And I wish I could make bokeh period, let alone use it in my composition.

I was thinking about possible topics and over the past few days I have been messing with super long exposures.. sort of like what you just posted. Would you be able to post a topic about that? I'm having issues with blowing out the highlights in the images. I have seen some of yours and really would appreciate any input.