Page 69 of 157 FirstFirst ... 19596667686970717279119 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 2348

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Gorgeous!

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 4.6.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 14

Phewwww....took me a few days but I finally got thru all 68 pages! Had a few aha moments, but I was most thrilled about your detailed info on how to use photomatix and creating the HDR photos. I downloaded the trial and played a bit with a daytime castle shot. I think I am in love with the HDR technique for sure. I do have a question however....you always seem to mention that after you create your HDR photo you merge it with the normal exposure of the image. Is this necessary or just how you have chosen to do it. I tried it, but didn't notice any difference in the image. Maybe that is just my untrained HDR eye??

Love the orbiter shots and can't wait to see what images come from your past two days in the park.....and the future tutorials for those images as well!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteS View Post
    Phewwww....took me a few days but I finally got thru all 68 pages! Had a few aha moments, but I was most thrilled about your detailed info on how to use photomatix and creating the HDR photos. I downloaded the trial and played a bit with a daytime castle shot. I think I am in love with the HDR technique for sure. I do have a question however....you always seem to mention that after you create your HDR photo you merge it with the normal exposure of the image. Is this necessary or just how you have chosen to do it. I tried it, but didn't notice any difference in the image. Maybe that is just my untrained HDR eye??

Love the orbiter shots and can't wait to see what images come from your past two days in the park.....and the future tutorials for those images as well!
    Hi Charlotte,

Merging the HDR image from Photomatix in with the normal exposure image in Photoshop Elements is simply my personal preference. It makes the HDR image look much more natural, which is my goal for HDR images. I have processed a few HDR's in Photomatix that I thought were perfect from it, but the majority of them need to be merged to get the natural look that I am after.

Oh baby did I get some shots over the past two days. I was the last one out of the park on Tuesday night at 1:10 am and the first guy in the park the next morning. I only got 1 hour of sleep that night and it was worth it.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

I am amazed at your tenacity Mike. 1 hour of sleep! You are definitely a die hard.....

• Minion

I was WAY TOO exhausted to do a post last night but I've got some DOOZIES planned. One of them has me very, very excited to share with you.

I spent a couple hours yesterday sitting around at the old boat dock taking pictures of the baby ducks. When I looked at most of them last night, I was really disappointed and actually quite pissed off because almost all of them were blurry and I didn't know why. Once I got in real close on one of the photos, I realized they weren't blurry because the baby ducks had a very fine fuzz around them that made them appear blurry. I only processed one shot last night that I liked, REALLY LIKED! because it shows that the magic of Disneyland and the desire to share that magic with your children is not limited to the human race, but all of its inhabitants. I call it "Baby's Day Out."

• we're all a little mad...

I absolutely loved that baby duck photo, but I had to make a few small changes to let the viewer know the ducks were at Disneyland....

Heh, sorry, HAD to do it. Hope you don't mind. It seems Disneyland will sell their merch to just about anyone! :-)

the mickey balloon is a perfect touch.....oh and just noticed the ears toooo cute!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by anndreeuhh View Post
    i absolutely loved that baby duck photo, but i had to make a few small changes to let the viewer know the ducks were at disneyland....

heh, sorry, had to do it. Hope you don't mind. It seems disneyland will sell their merch to just about anyone! :-)
    love it!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anndreeuhh View Post
    I absolutely loved that baby duck photo, but I had to make a few small changes to let the viewer know the ducks were at Disneyland....

Heh, sorry, HAD to do it. Hope you don't mind. It seems Disneyland will sell their merch to just about anyone! :-)
    This is hilarious!

• Elk Grove Chris

Too good, all they need now is a churro.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Minion

4-16-11
    Todayís ďDisneyland Photo Tip of the DayĒ exposes one of the little known tools on your DSLR called Auto Exposure Lock.

On the back of most DSLRís is a small button with an asterisk * above it that is for the Auto Exposure Lock. This function is for when you want to meter the light from a certain part of a scene but focus on another part of the scene. It works well in instances where a portion of the scene is very bright and other parts are somewhat dark. The camera will naturally want to meter the light from the bright part of the scene but that will make the darker areas very dark and underexposed. By using the Auto Exposure Lock, you can meter a section of the scene that has a mid tone of lighting and then apply that metering to the rest of the scene.

Using the Auto Exposure Lock is actually quite simple. You determine how you want to compose the shot, the select an area of that scene with mid tone lighting on it, point the center of the camera at that spot and press the shutter half way down and press & hold the Auto Exposure Lock button. While holding the Auto Exposure Lock button down, you recompose the shot how you like it and take the photo. The camera will use the light metering it took from where you pressed the Exposure Lock button and apply that metering to the scene you chose. Once you take the photo and let go of the button, the Exposure Lock is turned off and the camera goes back to metering the scene as usual.

Here are a few examples that I shot over in Redwood Creek the other day.
    This first shot is the scene that I want to photograph. You can see in the area that I highlighted, that part of the scene is underexposed and very dark.

I moved the camera over a little bit so one of the trees was in the center of the frame, pressed the shutter half way down and pressed and held the exposure lock button.

Then I just moved the camera back over to how I wanted to frame the photo and took the shot.
    You can see (barely) that the dark areas of the scene are not a little bit brighter and show up better.

Hereís another example, although it isnít very noticeable in this shot.
    Notice how dark the inside of the tree is.

I moved over to a dark part of the tree to set the exposure lock.

Then I went back to my original scene and took the photo. You can see that those dark areas are just a little bit brighter.

Panoramas are also perfect times to use the Auto Exposure Lock so you get an even metering across the entire scene.

NOTE: The Auto Exposure Lock only works in the Aperture Priority, Time Value, Manual, Program modes. Also, on some cameras you do not need to hold down the Exposure Lock button.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

Wow, Mike! Love the ducks! Very awesome capture. And then the addition byanndreeuhh Amazing.

Tours Departing Daily - Disneyland Resort Photography

• Minion

4-18-11
    Todayís ďDisneyland Photo Tip of the DayĒ is one that I am very excited to share with you because I have finally unlocked the final piece of the puzzle for photographing dark rides. For that reason Iíll call this The Definitive Dark Ride Photo Tip. I apologize to Point & Shoot users because this post is for DSLRís, however I canít say that this wouldnít apply to some of the newer P&S cameras.

Iíve done posts on photographing Dark Rides in the past that were pretty accurate but Iíve always felt that there was more that could be done, that the photos could be better, sharper and with less noise. Iíve also been frustrated that there were certain parts of the rides that I could never photograph no matter what I did.

The problems that plague almost all of us are the same old things, too slow of a shutter speed making them blurry, too high of an ISO making them so noisy that they are unusable, or the most annoying one of all is that the auto focus just goes back and forth looking for an area of high contrast and wonít take a picture at all. I know a lot of people will say that you should put the lens on Manual Focus but really, who out there is that fast at using manual focus, especially in the dark? Not Me!

Iíve been trying all different settings and tricks with the camera to see if I could find the ďAbsolute BestĒ way of shooting dark rides and now Iíve finally found what I believe is the right combination.

Most of these settings are the same as I mentioned in my previous Dark Ride posts. Remember, NO FLASH!

1. Aperture Priority with the Aperture as large as your lens will allow. A prime lens such as the 50mm F/1.8 (nifty fifty) or if you can afford it the 50mm F/1.4 is the best lens for the job.

2. ISO set to either 1600 or 3200 depending on the ride and your aperture and your cameras ability to handle high ISOís.

3. Exposure Compensation down -1 1/3rd. This allows a faster shutter speed and less blown highlights.

4. Drive Mode to Continuous Shooting. For each shot, hold the shutter down and take at least 3 photos of each subject. The second or third shot is usually the sharpest because the camera has had more time to meter and focus on it.

5. Auto Focus Mode on AI SERVO. This is for shooting sports or children where the subject is moving or might move. The camera doesnít know that you are moving and not the subject.

6. Metering Mode set to Spot Metering. This only meters the light in the center of the frame which will also help with blown highlights and comes into play on the next setting.

7. These next two settings were the final pieces of the puzzle that made everything come together. Select the Auto Focus Points and ONLY select the Center Focus Point. By only using the center auto focus point, the auto focus doesnít have to search for a place to focus on and can easily match up with the spot metering to instantly focus on that spot. You just have to remember to compose it so the subject in the center of the frame.

8. Turn Off the Automatic Picture Review. It only slows down the camera and nobody behind you wants to see your LCD screen keep lighting up after every picture. It takes the camera longer to show you that picture than it took to take the picture. I canít tell you how many pictures Iíve lost because the camera was busy processing the images, trying to show them to me even though I wasnít looking. I keep that off at all times.

9. Shoot in RAW so you can reduce noise and change the color temperature.

10. Ask for the front row and take the photos as you are heading straight at the subject, not as it is beside you or you will get motion blur.

I tried this out on Pirates first because it and Haunted Mansion are the two darkest and most difficult rides to photograph. I started out at F/1.4, with my ISO set to 3200 and I have to say that these new settings gave me shutter speeds much faster than I could have possibly imagined and the ability to photograph parts of the ride that Iíve never been able to shoot before.

Here are some of the photos that I took on Pirates along with the shutter speeds. For all of them, my Aperture is F/1.4. I also set my White Balance to Tungsten. There is no Photoshop work on any of these. I only edited them in the Canon RAW software to reduce noise, brighten, increase contrast and adjust color temperature.

Shutter Speed 1/80th, ISO 3200

Speed 1/200, ISO 3200

1/200, ISO 3200

1/320, ISO 3200

1/250, ISO 3200

1/200, ISO 3200

1/320

1/200

1/15

1/40

1/60

1/200

At this stage of the ride, I realized that I was getting really fast shutter speeds so I dropped my ISO down to 1600 (an unheard of low level for shooting Pirates). If using the Nifty Fifty 50mm F/1.8, keep the ISO at 3200.

1/25th, ISO 1600

1/15, ISO 1600

1/15, ISO 1600

1/25, ISO 1600

1/25, ISO 1600

1/30, ISO 1600

1/80

1/30

1/15

1/40

1/80

In the next post, Iíll go over the Haunted Manson and how well these settings worked in there.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

Brilliant!

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Thanks! That was a great lesson.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 4.6.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 14