Page 70 of 158 FirstFirst ... 204560676869707172738095120 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2361

• We Go On.

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Can't wait for the Haunted Mansion tip. Your POTC photos are incredibly crisp!

• Minion

My Haunted Mansion post will be up on Wednesday so in the mean time, here is the "Pretty" for the day. I used my wide angle lens and set the camera up on the tripod for his. I waited for a moment with no submarines in view and ran 3 exposure bracket of the lagoon. Then I increased my ISO a bit to speed up the shutter and waited for a monorail to come by. Once I photographed monorail blue on one side, I waited for monorail orange to come into view on the other side and took that picture. While I was waiting for the monorails, I watched for a moment with 3 subs were in a position that I liked so i could take that picture.

For the post processing, I made a HDR Merge of the lagoon then layer masked in the monorails and the submarines. I had to use a small brush and an opacity of 5% on the water to bring out the subs reflections on the water. I also used the dodge tool and brushed over the foreground lagoon to brighten up that part of the water. Then I opened it in Photoscape and applied a very slight gradient tint to the sky to darken it up just a touch.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 04-26-2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Tom Bricker

^I can't remember what type of PS you're using, but if it's one that can do adjustment layers, you should try a brightness/contrast adjustment layer where you normally might dodge/burn. See what you think--it gives you a lot more control and is non-destructive.

awesome image! Yet another must try to add to my now very long list.

Quote Originally Posted by anndreeuhh View Post
    First, I have Nikon D5000 (I'm regretting not getting into Canon now) and the lens I always have on it is 18-200mm 3.5-5.6f.
    ...snip...
    Generally I know how AF points work and I try to combine them with setting a large F number and with dropping or adding exposure compensation but when I did this in the group photo I noticed wherever I put the AF point everyone else would have a slight out-of-focus blur to it. I'm sure the Aperture might have had something to do with it but since you're doing a 3-fold tutorial on AF points, I'd LOVE some help with this and how to really use AF points with groups of people or even how to use them with more than one focus point at a time.
    Nikon D-5000 is the camera I have, too. Play around a little bit with the focus settings. On the "info" screen, when you fold down the LCD screen, there is a setting for auto-focus mode. The one that has a big rectangle will give you multiple focus points, the others give you single focus points. Sometimes (especially with a wide aperture/shallow depth of field) only one or a few points can be in focus at the same time. There's also a focus mode, just above the auto-focus mode; I don't entirely understand their interaction yet myself; I haven't done any systematic experimentation.

I don't know if that helps you, but you might be able to play around with it a bit and figure out the settings you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    One more piece of proof that it is the eye behind the camera that makes all the difference.
    Every time!

I spent a couple hours yesterday sitting around at the old boat dock taking pictures of the baby ducks.
    I call it "Baby's Day Out."
    I love this shot!!! Loved the balloon ones, too. Can't pick a favorite among those.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• I Can Show You the World

Oh I'm def going to try and get a shot like this! Shame that this is prob the most movement/energy that's left in Tomorrowland (aka boringland).

• Some imagination, huh?

Oh man, you got me. Originally, I thought that you must've had the patience of a saint to get that shot! Good stuff, good stuff.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

7. These next two settings were the final pieces of the puzzle that made everything come together. Select the Auto Focus Points and ONLY select the Center Focus Point. By only using the center auto focus point, the auto focus doesn’t have to search for a place to focus on and can easily match up with the spot metering to instantly focus on that spot. You just have to remember to compose it so the subject in the center of the frame.
    Another advantage to only using the center focus point is because on most low-mid range DSLR's, they only have one cross type focus point and that is the center. Those are always the most precise. Although camera makers are being more generous lately and offering more than one cross type focus point on mid-range cameras.

Good post.

• Minion

4-20-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” continues the Definitive Dark Ride post from the other day with a look at the Haunted Mansion.

I used the same camera settings as I did for Pirates of the Caribbean. (Feel free to copy this list, print it out and take it with you.)
    • Aperture Priority, Aperture at F/1.4
    • ISO 3200
    • Exposure Compensation -1 1/3
    • Drive Mode set to Continuous Shooting
    • Auto Focus Mode set to AI Servo
    • Metering Mode set to Spot Metering
    • Shooting in RAW
    • White Balance set to Tungsten
    • Auto Picture Review turned OFF
    • Only the Center Auto Focus Point highlighted
    Here are some of the photos I took on this latest ride.
    The shutter speed was 1/8 second.

1/125

1/100

1/100

1/40 (I’ve never even been able to get the camera to take a shot of this guy or the dancers before.)

1/30

1/400

1/250

1/30

1/200

1/30

I still keep missing the shot of the hitchhiking ghosts but I am going to try again on my next visit.

I hope these camera settings help you capture things you’ve never been able to photograph before.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• Tom Bricker

^I don't know if Canon has a comparable setting, but one of the most value settings some Nikons offer for dark rides are in their Auto-ISO menu. This is the minimum shutter speed and ISO ceiling.

What I generally do is select a shutter speed of around 1/60th of a second for my minimum shutter speed, a base ISO of around 800, and an ISO ceiling of around ISO 3200. What this does is, based on the aperture I've selected, only raise the ISO above 800 when the scene demands a shutter speed lower than 1/60th. Thus, if the camera would choose a shutter speed of 1/80th (with f/1.4 & ISO 800), it will use those settings. However, if the proper shutter speed with that same aperture and ISO would be 1/30th, it will instead keep the shutter speed at 1/60th and raise the ISO accordingly, up to ISO 3200. Once the proper exposure would require venturing below 1/60th AND above ISO 3200, it will stop raising the ISO and begin lowering the shutter speed below 1/60th.

Hopefully that makes some sense. I think you would find that helpful, as it would prevent you from using overkill shutter speeds of 1/200 and above.

My favorite lens for dark rides is the Sigma 30 1.4 for crop sensors. However, I've also used the Nikon 70-200 2.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8, and my fisheye. When using the 2.8 lenses, I usually set the ISO ceiling to 6400. I've achieved some decent results on more difficult dark rides with these lenses (see below):

The Pinnacle of 'Classic' EPCOT Center by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Good Luck, Space Rangers! by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Ultra Wide Angle SSE by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Feel the Flow... by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

I also manual focus most of the time on dark rides. Sure, it stinks when I miss the focus, but it isn't nearly as want-to-throw-my-camera-into-the-bayou frustrating as it is when the camera hunts and hunts for focus when trying to capture the POTC helmsman. For whatever reason, I've found that MF is a must for Peter Pan's Flight (the most difficult WDW dark ride, in my opinion):

Manual Focus, for the win! by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Overall, great shots and advice! Definitely an excellent tutorial!

I have never heard of the feature Tom has mentioned, but I shoot canon so it may be because it isn't offered for us. I will be looking into this. Thanks Tom for the info!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    ^I don't know if Canon has a comparable setting, but one of the most value settings some Nikons offer for dark rides are in their Auto-ISO menu. This is the minimum shutter speed and ISO ceiling.

What I generally do is select a shutter speed of around 1/60th of a second for my minimum shutter speed, a base ISO of around 800, and an ISO ceiling of around ISO 3200. What this does is, based on the aperture I've selected, only raise the ISO above 800 when the scene demands a shutter speed lower than 1/60th. Thus, if the camera would choose a shutter speed of 1/80th (with f/1.4 & ISO 800), it will use those settings. However, if the proper shutter speed with that same aperture and ISO would be 1/30th, it will instead keep the shutter speed at 1/60th and raise the ISO accordingly, up to ISO 3200. Once the proper exposure would require venturing below 1/60th AND above ISO 3200, it will stop raising the ISO and begin lowering the shutter speed below 1/60th.

Hopefully that makes some sense. I think you would find that helpful, as it would prevent you from using overkill shutter speeds of 1/200 and above.

My favorite lens for dark rides is the Sigma 30 1.4 for crop sensors. However, I've also used the Nikon 70-200 2.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8, and my fisheye. When using the 2.8 lenses, I usually set the ISO ceiling to 6400. I've achieved some decent results on more difficult dark rides with these lenses (see below):

The Pinnacle of 'Classic' EPCOT Center by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Good Luck, Space Rangers! by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Ultra Wide Angle SSE by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Feel the Flow... by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

I also manual focus most of the time on dark rides. Sure, it stinks when I miss the focus, but it isn't nearly as want-to-throw-my-camera-into-the-bayou frustrating as it is when the camera hunts and hunts for focus when trying to capture the POTC helmsman. For whatever reason, I've found that MF is a must for Peter Pan's Flight (the most difficult WDW dark ride, in my opinion):

Manual Focus, for the win! by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Overall, great shots and advice! Definitely an excellent tutorial!
    I've never heard of that feature either, but man would that be helpful. As always, FANTASTIC photos!

Canon does have an Auto ISO setting but it is not as customizable as it is on a Nikon. On the T1i you can set ISO to Auto, but the manual says that it can only select from ISO’s 100-1600. The manual does not indicate that you can do this, but expanding the ISO range to 6400 in the custom function menu might allow for a higher automatically selected ISO. I have never tried this. This is one area where Nikon shooters have enjoyed a specific tech advantage because there is no way to select an Auto ISO ceiling or a variable minimum shutter speed on the more recent Canon cameras.

However, I do think that it would be a good suggestion for a Canon user to set the mode dial to Pv and then select the lowest acceptable shutter speed. Once this is done, Auto ISO may be useful to keep as much noise out of the photos as possible.
    - Bobd

• Tom Bricker

^Hmmm...in the absence of that level of customization in Auto-ISO, I think I might actually shoot in Manual mode, selecting the lowest possible shutter speed and aperture I'd want to use (probably 1/40th and f/1.4) and putting the camera on Auto-ISO. (I assume Pv is Program mode? That would work, too.)

Assuming no customization on auto-ISO, I'd probably avoid using aperture-priority. My goal for dark rides is to balance using the slowest shutter speed possible without getting motion blur, lowest possible ISO (at least 800), and highest possible aperture. Using aperture-priority on a Canon cuts against that, because the shutter speed can get really high, which benefits you in no way. On dark rides, there's no difference between a 1/100th shutter speed and a 1/450th shutter speed in the final image (as in, neither will have motion blur), but a photo shot using an aperture of f/4 versus f/1.4 will be sharper, and one shot at ISO 800 versus ISO 3200 will have less noise.

Stated differently, aperture-priority on Canon (for dark rides) doesn't seem to give you the best "balance" of the exposure triangle.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Sorry, I meant Tv (Shutter Priority).
    - Bobd