Page 77 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2752677475767778798087102127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2361

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteS View Post
    I would hardly call it dribble. I am sure your posts have helped more people than you may ever know.

I wanted to post a couple of images here that were taken with the settings you posted, but for the life of me, I can not get any images inserted in here. Can anyone share instructions on how to get them from flickr to post here? I would appreciate any help.
    To post a photo from Flickr, right click on the image in flickr and select a size like the Medium 640. Once on that page, right click on "Download the Medium 640 size of this picture" and click "Copy Shortcut".

Then to post it on Mice Chat. In the message box you are writing in, click on the Insert Image button above your message box. That brings up the box to insert the shortcut. Click on From URL. Then paste the shortcut you copied from Flickr into the URL space. (UNCHECK) the "Retreive Remote File" box. Then just click the insert image box right below it and there you go.

I can't wait to see them. If you can, list the Exif info as well. I think that will help other people too.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Ok I am going to try this posting images thing. Hopefully it will work. Thanks for the help everyone!

ISO 3200 F2.8 1/20

HauntedMansionweb by CharlotteS83, on Flickr

ISO 3200 F1.4 1/250

POTCweb by CharlotteS83, on Flickr

And my first attempt at an HDR photo. I have a LOT to learn!
    ISO 50 F4.0 3 images with shutter speeds of 1/100 1/400 1/1600

TPGweb by CharlotteS83, on Flickr

• Minion

Those are fantastic! The portrait in the Haunted Mansion is gorgeous. Perfect lighting and color on it.

The Pirate is so sharp! Nicely done.

The HDR is great too. I love the texturing on it.

Thanks Mike! Definitely can't wait to get some more practice at the dark rides. Will share more as I get time to work them.

Here is another image of POTC using the dark ride settings Mike gave us...
    ISO 3200 F 1.4 1/80 sec

• Minion

5-11-11
    By special request, Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is my method of Converting Images to Black & White.

There are many, many ways of converting an image to Black & White. However, the first and most important part of black and white conversion is selecting the proper image for it. The questions you have to ask yourself are: “Is this image going to more dramatic or improved in some way by being in black and white?” and “What type of feel do I want it to impart to the viewer?”

Answering the first question will help you select an image for converting and how you answer the second question will determine how it should be converted.

The following are just my opinions (for whatever they are worth) and my way of black & white conversion (for whatever it is worth).

When I go through my photos looking for ones that strike me as something worth editing in some fashion or another, the only ones that stand out to me as candidates for black & white are either portraits or architectural shots. For some reason, those just seem to work best in black & white.

Depending upon the specific look I want for the photo, I have a few different methods of conversion. The first one is what I use 95% of the time. Let’s start with this HDR photo I took in New Orleans Square after closing.

The first thing I do is open it in Photoscape.

Then I click on the little square for Convert to Grayscale.

Next, in the Bright,Color tab I go to Contrast Enhancement – Low. This improves the definition a little bit and gives better separation between the dark and light tones.

Next, in the Bright,Color tab I click on Deepen – Low to darken the blacks and give more contrast.

This image was a little dark, so I clicked on the Backlight menu and +/-25%. This just lightens it up a tiny bit and also increases the contrast a little.

Then, in the Filter tab, I add a slight vignette to it.

This is the final result.

From here, I can also play with some other effects. In the Filter Tab, go to Film Effect and see which one I like best. They are all pretty similar but each one adds a very slight and different colored tint to it.

You can also use Photoshop Elements for conversion.

When you go to Enhance – Convert to Black & White, it brings up this window. As you can see, there are several options, each giving different values of Red, Green, Blue & Contrast. You can also use the sliders to make adjustments to each of those levels too. Here are the different options.

Of all of them, I like Urban Snapshot the best.

However, with the new plug in from Optik, I really like using it and seeing what the different effects can produce.

I think I found a winner! I really like the dramatic Film Noir look of this effect called Flutter.

So there you have it, my methods for converting images to black & white. (for what it’s worth)

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• Some imagination, huh?

NIIICE!!! New Orleans Square looks like an actual city now! (Albeit, with many public trashcans.)

Very important tip about asking yourself WHY you are making this picture black and white, although it never hurts to experiment.

Thanks Michael

^^I know, I thought the original picture looked great all by itself, ha.
    Caleb

"Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning."

"Adventure is out there!"

22 times to Disneyland in one year, personal record.

(Save the Disneyland Hotel Waterfalls too!)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    NIIICE!!! New Orleans Square looks like an actual city now! (Albeit, with many public trashcans.)

Very important tip about asking yourself WHY you are making this picture black and white, although it never hurts to experiment.

Thanks Michael
    It definitely never hurts to experiment. By experimenting and playing around with things is how you learn what works and what doesn't. One of the main reasons I like Photoscape so much is because it is so fast to play around with. Everything is just a click of a button and the UNDO is so close and fast. I can't recommend that program enough, especially because it is free. It also seems to do a better job of black & white conversion than the different options in Photoshop Elements.

Quote Originally Posted by ozmacity View Post
    ^^I know, I thought the original picture looked great all by itself, ha.
    I should have mentioned why I chose that photo to convert. The first reason was that I was in a hurry and didnt' have time to go through all my photos to pick one I liked. The other reason was that I liked the photo but it didn't really grab me. It didn't seem quite up to par with my other empty park night shots. Even though I toned it down quite a bit, the lighting on the pavement was a distraction in the color version but in black & white, it became an asset and enhanced the mood.

But, the main reason was that I was short on time.

Maybe I'm biased here but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your noir version is the best. I absolutely love it!

If I may, I'd like to point out that when you convert to monochrome what stands out are light, texture and composition. Since they're the only things you see, the focal point of your photo can dramatically shift when you desaturate. Although there's a potential to throw off your entire photo, you can also seriously declutter a messy photo by converting it to black and white.

And I'm loving the Optik Virtual Photographer plugin for monochrome!

• Minion

5-16-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is a small one simply because we take a look at Tilt Shift Photographs, albeit ours is a Fake Tilt Shift effect applied in Photoscape.

Tilt Sift photography is generally done with the use of a special Tilt Shift lens that is kind of like a wide angle architectural lens being put on the camera backwards. It gives the effect of the scene looking like a miniature model. Tilt Shift photos are usually taken from a high vantage point, looking down on the subject, but not directly above it. Things like cars, trains, boats and buildings are generally the most effective subjects for tilt shift. The reason I like to apply a Tilt Shift effect to some photos is because it can give a somewhat lackluster or boring photo a new life with a fun and interesting look.

A Tilt Shift Lens runs between $1350.00 and $2100.00, which is a bit pricey for such a specialized type of photo. Fortunately, Photoscape offers a Fake Tilt Shift effect that is really fast and simple to use. For effective tilt shift effect, it also helps to increase the saturation a little bit, like you would see on a scale model and increasing the contrast a touch.

Here’s a look at how to apply the Fake Tilt shift effect in Photoscape.
    First, open the photo in Photoscape and click on Filter – Fake Tilt Shift.

That brings up this window with 3 Modes and a Blur and Contrast adjustment slider.

The Deep mode works well on daytime shots because it really saturates the image and increases the contrast. You will also notice that there is a small crosshair in the image that you can move around to place the focal point where you want it. It is a narrow band of sharpness, with heavy blurring on the edges. The Blur and Contrast sliders can help you with images that might need a little less blur or heavier contrast. I find that I don’t need to move either of them more than 10% plus or minus.

After I apply the Tilt Shift and click OK, I like to click on Bright,Color – Contrast Enhancement – Low to sharpen the focal point a little bit.

Depending upon the photo, I might also add a slight vignette to it.

Also depending upon how bright or dark the photo is I sometimes darken it a little.

And, here’s the final result.

Here’s a few other examples of Tilt Shift images.

I do have to be honest and say that for every photo I try out with a Tilt Shift effect, only about 1 out of 5 actually works out. The others just don’t seem to sell the effect well.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• Some imagination, huh?

Tilt-shift definitely is a finicky thing, and one I don't try to overuse because then it looks gimmicky. The Autopia one works the best for me out of this set!

I have just read every topic and I want to thank you for all of your hard work! I have a sugestion for a topic, long exposure water shots. Here is one I did at Thunder Moutain. Again thanks for the great info.Name:  DSC_1231_edited_1mini.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  100.4 KB

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Tilt-shift definitely is a finicky thing, and one I don't try to overuse because then it looks gimmicky. The Autopia one works the best for me out of this set!
    I completely agree. It is very finicky and shots that you think would work well, don't work at all, and some that you don't think would work, look great. I use it very rarely, only when I have a photo that might need a more unique look or if I'm just bored.

Quote Originally Posted by mike440 View Post
    I have just read every topic and I want to thank you for all of your hard work! I have a sugestion for a topic, long exposure water shots. Here is one I did at Thunder Moutain. Again thanks for the great info.Name:  DSC_1231_edited_1mini.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  100.4 KB
    Hi Mike
    Welcome!

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought of a post specifically on long exposure water shots. I did one on Neutral Density Filters that touched on water, but not one on water only. I think I will have to explore this further since I really enjoy those type of shots. I can already see my adventure looking for every waterfall in Disneyland and photographing them. Yipee! I'll be there on the 25th, so I'll add this to my shot list.

• Minion

5-18-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is one I will call The Iliad. It’s not so much a tutorial as it is a story about dedication to a vision.

The story of this photo has become more of a tale likened to that of Homer's Iliad than a simple little photographic explanation.

It began a few months ago with an idea for taking identical late night and early morning panoramic shots of the Partners Statue and Castle with no people in the frame. The plan was to wait until both of the Purple Trumpet trees behind the Partners Statue were in full bloom and have a photo filled with flowers and color. After several trips to Disneyland to see how the trees were progressing it became painfully obvious that the tree on the left was not going to bloom at all and the one on the right was nearing the end of its bloom. I had to move quickly before I lost all the flowers and would have to wait another year.

I also had to devise a plan to get the shot first thing in the morning with no people in the frame. We picked a day with no Magic Morning Hours and made reservations for the Minnie & Friends Character Breakfast at Plaza Inn 20 minutes before rope drop. This was the only way to get around the rope before everyone else and get my elusive dream shot. We went up the day before to figure out exactly where I needed to stand and what the camera settings would have to be for this 6 image panorama. We stayed at Paradise Pier so I could easily be the last person in the park the night before to get my night time version and the first person in the park the next morning. Since I was now into this adventure $350.00 for the room and the breakfast, I put so much pressure on myself to get the morning shot that I only got 1 hour of sleep the night before.

So the sun rises and I am at the first person at the entry gates at 7:30 am (even though they open at 8:30 that day) and all is well. The sky is starting to clear from the morning clouds and is looking good. We use our separate entrance for the character breakfast people and are taken around the crowd at the end of Main St. over to Plaza Inn. I see my opening and bolt for the hub. I know I only have about 30 seconds to get the shot before security is on me. There was no way I could set up a tripod to do HDR brackets, so I just had to take single images and change the exposure later. Right as I get to the last frame, here he comes. "You aren't allowed to be up here and need to go back to Main St." He was very nice, let me take my last shot and wished me a magical day. At this point, I'm starving, exhausted and trembling from so little sleep and too much caffeine. Having a giant breakfast filled with tasty goodies and fat laden pork products was exactly what I needed and it fixed me right up.

Now comes the expensive part. My intention is to blow this image up and have it printed on a stretch canvas at 24" X 48", so I know it has to be perfect. Unfortunately, the original panorama was terrible. It had a blown out sky on the right, cast members walking through the scene, horrible fringing in the trees and most importantly no flowers on the left tree.

I took each RAW file and changed the exposures to -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 to run each section as a 5 exposure HDR. Of course, my 7 year old computer didn't have enough memory to do this and was already maxed out on what it can take. Luckily the owner of the computer company down the walkway is a friend, so he built me a custom computer for the cost of parts only. That way I could get top of the line parts and have a screamingly fast new system for the same price as buying a package at the store. There went another $1,200.00. MONEY WELL SPENT! And in usual computer fashion, I had to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 and my programs weren't compatible. There went more money.

A few days later, the computer is done, new programs installed and I'm ready to go. I run my HDR and don't like it, so I do a 5 exposure Exposure Fusion. I don't like that one either so I merge each of the HDR images with the Exposure Fusion images into 6 gigantic 16 bit Tiff files and then make the Panorama out of them.

Now comes the really tedious part. I reversed the image and layered the flowered tree on top of the one without flowers and painstakingly painted in some of them, weaving branches from each tree together for a realistic look. Then I had to stretch the center portion of the sky out to get rid of the blown out right side and wires behind the castle. Using a 3 pixel brush I painted the sky around every single leaf on every tree as well as every other little detail. This actually worked well because it gave me the ability to eliminate the blue and red fringing on the branches and really cleaned up the trees.

After that came the task of getting rid of the 6 Cast Members, one of which was wearing a bright pink hoodie and there was a neon green jacket hanging on a cart.

Once I thought the image was finished, I decided to blow it up 600% and go through every square inch of it looking for flaws. The problem with looking for flaws at the pixel level is you find them... lots of them. Every single brick around the statue had green fringing on the edges, so that had to be cleaned up, one brick at a time as well as any other fringing I found along the railings, benches and what have you.

Once again, I thought I was finished until I started noticing problems where the 6 images were stitched together. It started with the stem of an umbrella that was broken in the middle and looked funny.

Then I noticed a bench didn't line up properly, and another bench and the brick benches beside the castle were messed up.

There was a part at the top of the castle where the roof was drooping a little and worst of all was the base of the Partners Statue was all screwed up as well as the one Donald was on. All of those had to be rebuilt and straightened, pixel by pixel.

I'm now into this image over $1,700.00 and at least 40 hours of work in Photoshop. I know there will be more minor adjustments before I get it printed, but for you, my fellow Mice Chatters, I hope it meets with your approval.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011