Page 8 of 158 FirstFirst ... 567891011183358108 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by NetteNutt View Post
    Your picture of the partners statue is by far my favorite one that you have on here, so simple but so so sweet.

and I only have one very very small suggestion just because I am late in coming to the pic of the day party. If I my suggest starting a new thread at the beginning of each week with like the pic of the day for 8/8/2010 to 8/14/2010 or something like that, again just a suggestion.
    Thanks so much. I also just love that Partners picture. I think that one could also serve as a lesson of taking pictures in the largest file size you can. If you look back at my post about changing the sky in Photoshop, the photo of the partners statue is where this one came from. All I did was crop this little part of it and got rid of the rest, then made it a black & white. Luckilly I shoot huge file sizes so 10% of a photo can still be a reasonable size. It also took what was a less than mediocre photo at best and turned it into something with real emotion.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    First off....thank you very much for the shout out, wasn't expecting that at all! You have a lot of great shots yourself, and the one you reference was just a spur-of-the-moment thing since I had my tripod out to get a shot of the arm "torch holder" at the end of the unload ramp, I didn't think the Doombuggies shot would be anything special, so glad people seem to enjoy it!

Also, thank you for this excellent thread and all the info you share...very interesting and useful stuff. It has made me sort of want to do a similar one with my photos (explaining context and techniques and what I look for), but don't wish to steal your thunder of course or make it like deliberately ripping off your excellent idea, lol. Keep up the good work, this last batch was especially interesting, and you are dead on in that just politely asking a CM can afford some great photo opportunities.
    My pleasure! I'm flattered you actually read this.

• Whip cracker

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Thanks again. I think you will like one of my upcoming segments. It features the Indy Queue.
    I sure did indeed! Looks great! I'd like to take pictures like that, but whenever I go (we always go in the summer) it's just way too crowded. It must've been nice to take your time without anyone bugging you.

I really like your focus on symbolism. The Partners picture really does capture what the statues is all about. Great work
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIndy7 View Post
    I sure did indeed! Looks great! I'd like to take pictures like that, but whenever I go (we always go in the summer) it's just way too crowded. It must've been nice to take your time without anyone bugging you.

I really like your focus on symbolism. The Partners picture really does capture what the statues is all about. Great work
    I'm glad you liked the Indy post. It was really relaxing to have the whole area to myself and just admire all the detail. I have some other great shots from inside the queue on my Flickr page. Here is the link to the set that has those ones. Disneyland 4-21-10 - a set on Flickr

Enjoy,

• Whip cracker

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I'm glad you liked the Indy post. It was really relaxing to have the whole area to myself and just admire all the detail. I have some other great shots from inside the queue on my Flickr page. Here is the link to the set that has those ones. Disneyland 4-21-10 - a set on Flickr

Enjoy,
    Thanks for sharing those! They are all nice photos!

• Minion

8-6-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is an interesting subject I call Leading the Viewers Eye.

The goal of any good photograph is to lead the viewer’s eye into the picture and take it on a tour around and/or through the photo. Strong lines in a photo can give a sense of motion, excitement or show the journey to a certain point or object. Using actual or implied lines is a great way to do this. Here are some examples of pictures that lead you in a certain direction by using the existing line of the subject.

This picture of a hard and straight line leads the eye right down the edge of the photo almost as if you are sliding down the railing and makes it move very quickly.

This picture of a wavy railing at DCA has more movement and implies a more exciting and adventurous journey.

This line on the ground serves to both lead and pull you right to the plane in the center of the frame.

This picture of the Train Station in New Orleans Square uses the railing, the sidewalk and the train tracks to pull you to the dark tunnel at the end of the line.

This picture of the CALIFORNIA Sign at the entrance of DCA uses an implied line and graceful curve to draw you down the letters.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little lesson on using lines to make your pictures more exciting and/or interesting to look at.

If you have any examples of the use of lines in Disneyland, please feel free to share. It makes us all better photographers.

Happy Snapping!
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 08-09-2010 at 11:37 PM.

• Whip cracker

Fantastic pictures! Very interesting subject of using lines in the photo to lead the viewer's eye around the photo. That gives me more ideas

• Minion

8-7-10
    For today’s “Disneyland Photo tip of the Day” I thought it would be a good time to discuss Framing.

I don't mean the wooden frame you put your pictures in, but rather using existing objects as a frame for the picture. Trees, Flowers, Windows and Doors work very well for this. Framing the picture with existing elements adds a border to the image and draws the viewer’s attention to the central area of the photo, which is what you are trying to show. It can also be used to keep they eye away from details that might distract the eye where you don’t want it to go. The most common way to do this is with overhanging trees. They frame the top of the image and lead the eye into the scene behind.

Below are some examples where I positioned myself in a spot where I used a natural frame for the picture.

For these shots of the Wedding Pavilion at the Disneyland Hotel, I intentionally kept myself at a distance from it so I could use the surrounding landscaping as a framework for the picture. The first one is pretty basic and easy to see that the planters with the juniper trees are there to give a border to the sidewalk and lead you to the wedding gazebo.

In this picture, I used the hedge on the right and the tree branches above to give a sense of nature, distance and romance to it. They also served to block some of the afternoon sunlight so I could take a clear picture.

For this one, I went behind the gazebo and used the doorway as the frame to show what the people getting married see when they look out.

This shot taken in the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is also a pretty clear example of the natural element in the frame leading the eye through the tunnel.

For this picture of Grizzly River Rapids I positioned myself between two trees and waited for the raft to come between them.

My wife Diane took this shot where she used a gap between branches as the frame and again, waited for the raft to come into the clearing to snap the picture. Even though the subject is off center, it exemplifies how you can use nature as the frame as well as the atmosphere for the subject.

The natural frame in the photo can also help determine and suitable outer frame for it. The shots of Grizzly River Rapids would look great in a rough frame that looks like pine branches. I can see the shots of the wedding pavilion with a white matting and simple black frame.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little lesson in Framing.

Happy Snapping!
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 08-09-2010 at 11:38 PM.

• Jungle explorer

wow! the photography class I am taking didn't have nearly this much info (or nearly as talented of a teacher) as this thread does. absolutely fantastic. thank you for these beautiful photos and tips. you, my friend, are brilliant.

Say goodbye to the people onshore because you will never see them again...

then again you've probably never seen them before

Check out my first trip report! It's full to the brim with epicness.
    AND HERE IS MY NEWEST TRIP REPORT!!! It's better because it's new. and in space.

Hey Look! I'm onYouTube

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Backside of Water View Post
    wow! the photography class I am taking didn't have nearly this much info (or nearly as talented of a teacher) as this thread does. absolutely fantastic. thank you for these beautiful photos and tips. you, my friend, are brilliant.
    That is extremely kind of you to say, THANK YOU!
    I am hoping that as this thread progresses, I can make it much more detailed and informative, not only on Disneyland but on how cameras work and post processing techniques as well.

Please feel free to comment on each days discussions. I'd like to make this very interactive as well as informative.

Mike

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The photo of the Redwood Creek trail is very nice, indeed, quite naturalistic, and the "framing" device there is also unusual shaped, which aids the overall photo. Good stuff, as always, HS.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Whip cracker

I really like the all the plants, trees, and nature in these pictures. The framing in these photos are great. Very nice work!

• Banned User

Vintage Disneyland...

• Minion

8-8-10
    Todayís ďDisneyland Photo tip of the DayĒ- Itís Raining, Itís Pouring, Rain Pictures Arenít Boring, is inspired by a photo from Disneyworld I saw on Flickr the other day. It was of a young girl on Main St. with her arms stretched to the heavens in the middle of a heavy rainstorm. Most of the people in the background were running for cover yet she was enjoying every drop. Like Gene Kelly in "Singing in the Rain", she embraced the rain and made the most of it.

That makes ďShooting in the rainĒ the subject of todayís column.
    It might not seem like a good time for taking pictures but a rainy day at Disneyland can give you some of the most dramatic and romantic photos of all. The beauty of shooting in the rain is that most things glisten when wet and the water reflects all the different lights that illuminate the park. Even simple wet pavement gives a glowing sheen that can make an otherwise boring photograph shine.

Here are some examples of rainy day gems.
    In this photo heading towards Itís a Small World, the lights reflected almost 100 yards and illuminated the pathway beckoning you towards it.

To the side of Itís a Small World the wet pavement made the colored lights twice as impressive and romantic.

King Arthurís Carousel makes most of Fantasyland glow in the reflections on the bricks.

Rancho Del Zocalo shines brightly on the dark wet cement.

In this shoot of the Shooting Exposition, the only two guests give the feeling of having the whole place to themselves.

The Teacups are never open during the rain but the water droplets on the surface sure make them sparkle.

This shot of the lone Cast Member working on the Matterhorn shows such a feeling of solitude that it creates a dramatic photo.

The Bear at Grizzly Rive Rapids makes a fun subject in the rain since heís holding a raft and paddle almost as if heís ready for the flood.

The best part of Disneyland on a rainy night is that everyone leaves early and you can take advantage of the empty park and go for those shots youíve always wanted to get but the crowds made impossible.

Tips for braving the rain at Disneyland:
    1. Wear waterproof shoes. I wear a cheap pair of waterproof work boots that I got at Payless with a Gel insert inside them. They arenít the most comfortable pair of shoes but tired and sore feet are much more tolerable than cold and wet feet.
    2. Wear a poncho or proper rain gear. Even with a great opportunity to take amazing pictures, they wonít be any good if you are wet and miserable taking them.
    3. Keep your camera under your poncho or in a large waterproof bag and bring a soft towel to dry off your camera and a lens cloth to clean it off when necessary.
    4. Whenever possible, shoot from under some type of cover.
    5. Spend most of the daytime riding rides and focus on taking pictures once it gets dark. Thatís when it really shines.
    6. DO NOT use your flash unless you are very close to the subject and it is absolutely necessary. The flash will only light up the raindrops and only a few feet away.
    7. If it is really cold and your breath is fogging up your viewfinder, LCD or Lens, hold the camera upside down and flip the picture over in the computer.
    8. When positioning yourself to take a picture of light reflecting off a wet surface, try to have the reflecting light come directly at you.

Fortunately we donít get the kind of summer rain storms that Disney World suffers, but it really would be nice once in a while for the photographic opportunity. Looking at all these rainy day photos sure makes me miss the winter and its watery glory. Now I canít wait for the first rains of the season.

I hope you look forward to it too and are prepared to capture some magic.

Happy Snapping!

© Michael Greening 2010

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great tips all, and I agree with you about the rain. After driving down from NorCal one night, we decided to go into the park when we arrived as it had a couple hours left open, and it had just rained. The place was literally empty, plus it was early January and just happened to be the night before Haunted Mansion Holiday closed, Christmas decorations were all still up. Talk about walking by accident into a great opportunity for both ambiance! Unfortunately, I was not prepared, and therefore didn't end up getting any photos thanks to not wanting to get my camera wet, but alas..which brings to another tip: if it is the rainy season, bring a plastic bag or super small umbrella, just in case, so you can take advantage of rain photos
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Page 8 of 158 FirstFirst ... 567891011183358108 ... LastLast