Page 82 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3257727980818283848592107132 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 2361

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Thanks SOOOOO MUCH for taking the time to do this. It really does help. It's funny that just two days ago I was listening to the Typical Shutterbug podcast and it was all about monitor calibration. They discussed all of those calibration tools you mentioned. "
    Your welcome Hot Sauce.

P.S. Your username Hot Sauce 1 is a take on Air Force 1, right? Just had to ask.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Your welcome Hot Sauce.

P.S. Your username Hot Sauce 1 is a take on Air Force 1, right? Just had to ask.
    Nope, it's nothing as creative as that.
    It's Hot Sauce 1 because I own a company that makes hot sauce. I thought it was better than the other nickname I give myself "Stinky Hot Sauce Guy".
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Nope, it's nothing as creative as that.
    It's Hot Sauce 1 because I own a company that makes hot sauce. I thought it was better than the other nickname I give myself "Stinky Hot Sauce Guy".
    Thats exactly my point. I knew you were an owner of a hot sauce company. So that makes you the president of your company. So I thought it was a take on the US president and how every vessel he is in, it's designated with "1" at the end. So your the lead hot sauce person of your company. The head honcho. The big cheese. Makes perfect sense to me and I thought it was kinda clever. Consider it a happy accident

I hope to buy a bottle when I can handle it. I've been sucking on Tapatio Hot Sauce far too long. Doc says to keep away from alcohol and spicy for a month.

Very interesting stuff on the printing. Printing photos seems like so much work, but the payoff does seem worth it. Someday maybe I'll figure it out and get some shots printed. Someday!

Orbitalpunk - here is what Mpix has to say on 16 v. 8 bit and JPG v. TIFF. I have no idea whether they're right, you're right, or you're saying different things, but I just wanted to throw it out there:

"The JPEG compression format is a very efficient, lossy image compression algorithm designed specifically for saving photographic images. It takes advantage of how humans see color versus brightness to only save information needed to reproduce the image for people to view. Image data is lost during compression, but at high levels of quality you will not see a difference between a JPEG and a TIFF printed to photographic paper. JPEG compression is perfect for sending files to the lab for printing, but avoid using the compression as a working file type."

"Please save your files in sRGB color space in 8-bit color, not 16-bit, to achieve the best print results. Also, please do NOT embed any profiles. Please - no CMYK, Grayscale, RAW, PSD or LZW compressed files, and if you work in layers, be sure to flatten the file and remove any extra channels before sending. We print from JPEG format files. Lossless or highest quality JPEG compressions are more than adequate for high quality printing. In the early days of digital that wasn't always the case; however, the compression algorithms have become very sophisticated and it is nearly impossible to distinguish a JPEG print from a TIFF print with the naked eye."

"From a purely theoretical standpoint editing in 16-bit space is better than 8-bit space. A higher bit depth means you have finer steps to adjust; however, from a practical standpoint, there is no difference. This is due to the fact that photographic printing equipment is calibrated and optimized for 8-bits per channel. 8-bits is adequate for the dynamic range of the media, thus using a higher bit depth would not yield better results. For that reason, before images are sent to a printer, they must be in 8-bit space."

Mpix.com - Help

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    Very interesting stuff on the printing. Printing photos seems like so much work, but the payoff does seem worth it. Someday maybe I'll figure it out and get some shots printed. Someday!

Orbitalpunk - here is what Mpix has to say on 16 v. 8 bit and JPG v. TIFF. I have no idea whether they're right, you're right, or you're saying different things, but I just wanted to throw it out there:

"The JPEG compression format is a very efficient, lossy image compression algorithm designed specifically for saving photographic images. It takes advantage of how humans see color versus brightness to only save information needed to reproduce the image for people to view. Image data is lost during compression, but at high levels of quality you will not see a difference between a JPEG and a TIFF printed to photographic paper. JPEG compression is perfect for sending files to the lab for printing, but avoid using the compression as a working file type."

"Please save your files in sRGB color space in 8-bit color, not 16-bit, to achieve the best print results. Also, please do NOT embed any profiles. Please - no CMYK, Grayscale, RAW, PSD or LZW compressed files, and if you work in layers, be sure to flatten the file and remove any extra channels before sending. We print from JPEG format files. Lossless or highest quality JPEG compressions are more than adequate for high quality printing. In the early days of digital that wasn't always the case; however, the compression algorithms have become very sophisticated and it is nearly impossible to distinguish a JPEG print from a TIFF print with the naked eye."

"From a purely theoretical standpoint editing in 16-bit space is better than 8-bit space. A higher bit depth means you have finer steps to adjust; however, from a practical standpoint, there is no difference. This is due to the fact that photographic printing equipment is calibrated and optimized for 8-bits per channel. 8-bits is adequate for the dynamic range of the media, thus using a higher bit depth would not yield better results. For that reason, before images are sent to a printer, they must be in 8-bit space."

Mpix.com - Help
    Outstanding information Tom! Thanks so much for that. Now I don't have such a fear of sending images as a jpeg for printing instead of a tiff.

• Minion

For today's "Pretty" picture, I have something a little different. I took this while laying flat on my back in New Orleans Square after closing. I put the camera flat on my face and attempted to take a set of bracketed images. The shutter speed was so slow that my breathing made the camera move just enough to blur the photo a touch. The only one that was useable was the -2 exposure so I manually adjusted the exposure in RAW to be able to create the bracket and consequent HDR image.

I also thought it might be fun to play with it a bit and call it "The Rapture" for all those kooks who thought the world was going to end a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 06-09-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks for the tips! I so desperately need a day at the park and I want to photograph the new parade and your tips will help quite a bit.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post

Mpix.com - Help
    Hey Figment. Thats very solid info. But I am meticulous in my printing. When my ink is worth more in it's weight than gold, I have to be. Lightroom supports 16bit output. So why not use it. Also, I print big. So flaws can come out very easily. I just rather be safe than sorry.

This is kinda reminds me of the mp3 and flac debate. Most people wont notice the difference but "can heads" will. Everyone is different. I just happen to be obsessed with my pictures and I have a touch of perfectionism. I double backup my images even. Locally and Offsite. When I print and go over my images, I want to know that I did the very best I could to make it perfect. If someone doesn't notice the difference then absolutely use jpegs cause there is a connivence factor from a small file size. But mpix does mention one keyword and that is "Lossy". Jpeg is a lossy format and I would prefer to stay lossless and 16bit the entire way. Again, cause I print big and my printer supports it. I agree you wouldn't notice much of a difference if you were printing 4x6 or even 8x10. So if your not printing big and your printer doesn't support 16bit, then then jpegs are totally fine.

• Minion

Sorry I didn't have an actual post up today. I was working on it till around 2:30 this morning and got too sleepy so I didn't finish it. I should have it up tomorrow. In the mean time, here's a little pretty from World of Color. Hope you enjoy it.

• formerly very helpful

One of my new favorite photos. Great!

• Minion

6-9-11

Today’s “DisneylandPhoto Tip of the Day” takes a look at photographing the Waterfallsof the Disneyland Resort.

On my last visit to Disneyland Resort, I wanted tophotograph every single waterfall there was but some weren’t running and I didn’tget a chance to shoot them all. For that reason I thought it would be morehelpful to discuss different techniques for photographing waterfalls instead ofshowing all the different ones.

There are several techniques to photographingwaterfalls and whichever one works best for you and gives you the look you areafter is obviously the one you should use. Some people like to use a tripod andgo for exposures between 2 and 5 seconds, which usually requires a neutraldensity or polarizing filter but does give a really nice smooth and dreamy lookto the water. Using a polarizing filter is a good idea because it cuts theglare off the water and rocks and saturates the greens on any foliage that isnear the waterfall.

Some people like to freeze the water mid air and gofor very fast shutter speeds to capture the action so to speak. Most peoplethat go for that look will use Shutter Priority and set a shutter speed around1/400 to 1/800. This takes some experimenting because it is difficult tocontrol the exposure. You will need to take several shots and play with theexposure compensation until you get it right. You can also go to full manualand select your ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture and Exposure Compensation. Thisjust seems like extra work to me.

If I want to freeze the action of the water, I findit easiest just to put the camera on Sports Mode and let the camera set a fastshutter speed, ISO and aperture. For this one, the camera set it at F/5.0, ISO100 and a shutter speed of 1/400.

If I am going for that dreamy, silky smooth look onthe water I use Aperture Priority Mode and use the size of aperture to controlthe shutter speed. For shutter speeds longer than .05 seconds, you will need atripod or to set the camera on something stable. If I haven’t had too muchcaffeine and aren’t in a hurry I can pull off a ½ second exposure by hand butit does take a few shots to get one that isn’t blurry.

Depending on how bright the light is on thewaterfall, I can usually get a shutter speed up to ½ second by adjusting theaperture down all the way as small as I can. On my 18-55 Kit lens, that is F/22at 18mm and F/36 when zoomed to 55mm. I set the ISO to 100 and use ExposureCompensation to control the exposure.

Here’s a couple I took at Grizzly River Rapids afew weeks ago. It was early in the morning so the sun was behind Grizzly Peak making the west side of it mostlyin shadows. I leaned on the railing to steady the camera. F/22, ISO 100, .05seconds, Exposure Compensation +1/3.

F/22, ISO 100, 1/13, Exposure Compensation +1/3.

I zoomed in on a section of the falls which gave mean aperture of F/36, ISO 100, .05 second, +1/3.

I took this one at Big Thunder Mountain in lateafternoon. I wanted to set up my tripod to go for an exposure of severalseconds but had some tripod equipment difficulties and had to do it by hand. Itried several shots leaning on the railing, going for longer exposures butevery time someone walked across the bridge, it made the railing bounce up anddown and kept screwing up my shots. The best I could get was this one at F/11,ISO 200 and .05 second exposure.

From a compositional standpoint, I prefer to placemyself at an angle to the waterfall and if I am facing directly at it, I liketo be as low to the bottom of the falls as possible, catching as much of thewater surface as I can. I took this one at the exit of Tarzan’s Treehouse andused the bamboo fence post to set the camera on. F/18, 55mm, ISO 400, .08second.

Night time waterfall shots like this one inAdventureland, you really have to use a tripod. This was a 20 second exposureat F/11.

When I tried to shoot this waterfall at FindingNemo Lagoon, it had sunlight directly on it. I really wanted to see if I couldpull it off just by using Aperture and Exposure Compensation. The best I could get was by zooming in on it and getting an aperture of F/36, ISO 100 .03second and Exposure Compensation of -1/3. Even then, there was quite a bit ofglare on the water and I didn’t get the silky look I was after. To me it looks more like plastic wrap than water.

Using a tripod with a Polarizing filter, stackedwith a Neutral Density filter would have really given me greater control. But,there were lots of people with me and I wasn’t about to make them stand aroundwhile I did all that.

I hope you enjoyed this little trip down the falls of Disneyland.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all ofthese posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• we're all a little mad...

Excellent post Mike! I LOVE the Grizzly Rapids long exposure shots, so silky!

Some people like to freeze the water mid air and gofor very fast shutter speeds to capture the action so to speak. Most peoplethat go for that look will use Shutter Priority and set a shutter speed around1/400 to 1/800. This takes some experimenting because it is difficult tocontrol the exposure. You will need to take several shots and play with theexposure compensation until you get it right. You can also go to full manualand select your ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture and Exposure Compensation. Thisjust seems like extra work to me.
    Hope you don't mind me hijacking this for a minute, but here's some of my fast-exposure-with-water shots that I didn't use Shutter priority for, just to give an example of how else you can get fast shutter speeds and creative shots with water:

Falling Water in Slow Motion by `Andrea [anndreeuhh], on Flickr
    Exif: Aperture mode; f/5.6; 200mm; ISO 100; Exposure compensation: -2 1/3; Exposure: 0.001 (1/2000).

Cooling Off by `Andrea [anndreeuhh], on Flickr
    Exif: Aperture mode; f/5.6; 200mm; ISO 100; Exposure compensation: -2 1/3; Exposure: 0.001 (1/1600).

Frozen Water or Frozen in Time? by `Andrea [anndreeuhh], on Flickr
    Exif: Aperture mode; f/1.8; 35mm; ISO 400; Exposure compensation: -1 2/3; Exposure: 0.001 (1/2000).

We Have Liftoff by `Andrea [anndreeuhh], on Flickr
    Exif: Aperture mode; f/1.8; 35mm; ISO 400; Exposure compensation: -1 2/3; Exposure: 0.001 (1/4000).

I didn't use a filter for any of these shots and they were all shot with my Nikon D5000 (an entry-level SLR) and either my 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 or 35mm f/1.8 lens (I sold my kit lens). So there are plenty of ways to do water shots, it's just up to you to mess around with your settings and use it creatively.

• Avid Photographer!

Re: Printing JPEG vs Tiff

I Agree with Tom on this one. I do ALL my editing at maximum resolution & bit depth, but once I am ready for print, I just save it as a really big JPEG and send it off to costco. I don't believe they have support for TIFFs (or at least when I tried to upload my 100+MB TIFF it timed out). That'd be really interesting to try some day however: Printing a complex picture at 20x30 with both JPEG & TIFF, and see which one looks better!

• Avid Photographer!

For the waterfalls:

You got most of the waterfalls at Disneyland, but they hide them all over the place!

Long-Exposure Picture of a waterfall next to Tarzan's Treehouse by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Long Exposure Waterfall Picture on Tom Sawyer's Island by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Your pictures came out Great! The ND filters really help out a ton, don't they?

My only problem with the ND filters is I have 3 different diameters on my lenses, so I have step-up and step-down rings, but I don't have big enough filters for my newer Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    For the waterfalls:

You got most of the waterfalls at Disneyland, but they hide them all over the place!

Long-Exposure Picture of a waterfall next to Tarzan's Treehouse by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Long Exposure Waterfall Picture on Tom Sawyer's Island by MistrWebmastr, on Flickr

Your pictures came out Great! The ND filters really help out a ton, don't they?

My only problem with the ND filters is I have 3 different diameters on my lenses, so I have step-up and step-down rings, but I don't have big enough filters for my newer Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens
    I was bummed I couldn't feature all of them but I ran out of time that day. I was also really bummed that the falls on the east side of Grizzly Peak weren't running. Those would have been perfect for showing different techniques.

Believe me, the entire time I was writing this last night, I kept thinking about your shot of the falls by Tarzan's Treehouse and how smooth the water was. It was my inspiration for some of my shots.