Page 86 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3661768384858687888996111136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2361

• Some imagination, huh?

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Haha you should be getting paid by these companies, Mike. You do such a great job promoting their abilities! That Portrait Professional program looks amazing.

• Elk Grove Chris

Thanks Mike another great post. You have a lot of plug-ins, do they all specific functions you can share with us when you have time?
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Haha you should be getting paid by these companies, Mike. You do such a great job promoting their abilities! That Portrait Professional program looks amazing.
    I wish. I think I would need a lot more readers before they would even give me the time of day. Portrait Professional is really impressive, especially considering how easy it is to work.

Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    Thanks Mike another great post. You have a lot of plug-ins, do they all specific functions you can share with us when you have time?
    I have downloaded several different plug-ins with the intent of sharing them with you but I haven't learned how to work some of them yet. I got one "Wire Worm" that is supposed to take care of all kinds of wires in the sky and things like bars on cages but I can't seem to get it to do anything. It would be great for getting rid of the wires behind the castle, but I need to figure out how to work it. I can do it with Photoshop Elements, using the Content Aware but it still leaves traces in the sky, so I really want to see what Wire Worm can do, assuming I ever get it to work.

---------- Post added 07-06-2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

I'm finally back from a fun and HOT 4th of July weekend at Disneyland. Other than a few hours before the fireworks on the 4th, Disneyland and DCA were surprisingly empty the whole weekend. On the 3rd, I spent the day in DCA and Mermaid was a 5 minute wait virtually the entire day. What I can't figure out is why Mermaid was 5 minutes and Goofy's Sky School was 35. "WTF"

Anyway, I have a photo that I wanted to share with you. This isn't much of a tutorial but it does have a little bit to teach.

I was at the flagpole to photograph the Flag Retreat Ceremony on the 4th. (It was FANTASTIC) Normally when I photograph this there are a few Service Men who come up and stand for the ceremony, leaving plenty of room to move around and take pictures, especially of Ernie. On the 4th, it's a different story. There are dozens of Service Men around the flagpole, virtually blocking the view of the Color Guard. I was trying to shoot inbetween them, using my zoom lens to get shots of Ernie folding the flag and the person in front of me was holding his salute for the entire ceremony. (I loved that he did that) For a split second, I thought that I wished he would lower his arm so I could get a picture but my patriotism far outweighs my photography desires and I would never, ever dream of asking him to lower his salute. After my millisecond of selfish thought, I noticed that I could see right through his salute to Ernie so I decided to use him as the framing and emotional impact for the photo. I selected the center auto focus point and put that on Ernie, then zoomed in just enough to keep his arm and the side of his head as the foreground for the picture. It not only gives a frame to the image, it gives it an enormous human element and reason for being. I took several shots like this but haven't had a chance to process them yet. This is the first one I've done. I hope you like it.

I did speak to the person afterwards and gave him my card so he can e-mail me for the photo.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Tom Bricker

^Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

• Elk Grove Chris

Yeah, what he said.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

I love the framing! I loved it even more after I read your commentary and that he held that salute for the whole of the flag retrea.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Some imagination, huh?

Can't wait to see your other results! Fabulous! I could hear the strains of "God Bless the USA" beginning to play

Awesome shot.

More more more

• Minion

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you liked the photo. I have several more that I will post soon. We are really, really behind here at work after having our floors redone. The clean up from all the concrete dust is unbelievable. It will be a few days before I have any new tutorials but I'll try to get some shots of interest up in the mean time.

• Minion

7-8-11
    Today's "Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day" revisits the Flag Retreat Ceremony as viewed on the day of our nations celebration of independence, July 4th.

For those of you who have never seen the Flag Retreat Ceremony at Disneyland or who have seen it but haven't photographed it, you really don't know what you're missing. Not only is the ceremony something really special that happens every day, Ernie the lead Color Guard is a show upon himself. His 22 year service to our country are evidenced by his rigid and precise movements. His sincere dedication and appreciation of the ceremonial nature of the flag retreat and those who have served make it a truly emotional experience. I literally am getting choked up just writing this and thinking about it. As I was editing my photos of it last night, I had tears in my eyes.

From a photographic standpoint, there are a couple places that work well for taking pictures of it. For this discussion, I will describe the flag pole plaza as a clock, with the flagpole in the center, the Train Station at 12:00 and Main St. at 6:00. You can view the show from any spot but to get the best view of Ernie and to really capture the drama and emotion of the show, you should position yourself either between 4 - 5 or 7 - 8. This gives you a good angle to see his face and all the activities without the flagpole in the middle of your shot. Using a zoom lens is also really helpful to get in close to the small details that make it so great. I like to use the largest aperture my zoom lens will allow so the background is somewhat of a blur and the focus is solely on what I want it to be on. I also lower my exposure compensation down -1/3 because their uniforms are white and can easily get overexposed in the afternoon sun.

There are a few choices to make with regards to the side of the clock that you position yourself on. If you choose the 4 - 5 side, the sun will be at your back and you will most likely have some shade to be in, which is really nice. The sunlight will also be on that side of the peoples faces. That side also fills up faster than the other side because people want to be in the shade. The drawback of this side is a small one but something to think about depending upon what you want to capture. That drawback is that Ernie will have his back to you when he is folding the flag. (that is the only time you won't see his face)

On the 7 - 8 side, the sun will be in your face and you will be shooting into the sun but this can also give you some dramatic shadows on faces. From this side, you will also be able to see Ernie's face and all the small details during the folding of the flag.

The Flag Retreat Ceremony on July 4th was extra special because we had the Marine Corps Marching Band march down Main St. and play all the music for the ceremony. There was also a whole lot more service members that come and stand for the show. We even had a fly over by a Marine aircraft at the conclusion of the ceremony.

Here are a few highlights and some discussion about the photos where needed.
    For some reason that I still can't understand but was really happy about, Disneyland was really, really dead during the day. I don't know if most people assumed it would be a mad house so they didn't come or if the higher prices or higher temperatures kept them away but it was a nice surprise. This is the view down Main St. at 2:15 in the afternoon.

The Marine Corps Marching Band making their way down Main St.

Taking pictures of the crowd and the unique individuals in it are also wonderful photographic opportunities.

As the show begins, the different theme songs from each branch of the military play and anyone who has served in that branch is invited to come up and stand for the lowering of the flag. Ernie thanks them for their service and salutes them.

He then begins the lowering of the flag with movements that only come from a career in the military.

Then comes the folding of the flag. This picture in particular is very special and emotional to me because of the people in the background. Being Caucasian, I find it very powerful that everyone behind him is from a different nationality. The ladies right behind him had to stake out that spot for at least 30 minutes before the show and you can see by their faces that they take this as seriously as any American. As a red blooded, true blue patriot of this country, this might be one of my favorite photos because it is what America is all about.

Once the flag is folded the Color Guard stand holding the flags and everyone sings God Bless America.

Here is an example of the dramatic shadows on his face created by the afternoon sun that I mentioned above.

I saw the tuba in the background and noticed that you could see the reflection of the entire area in the tuba, so I couldn't resist zooming all they way in on it to see how much I could capture.

Details like this are the reason a zoom lens is a must when shooting this ceremony.

Not to mention when trying to take a picture of the plane flying over.

So if you haven't seen the Flag Retreat Ceremony, I highly, highly recommend you do. It is one of the few things that happens every day at Disneyland that is rarely crowded and is what makes Disneyland so special.

Happy Snapping
    Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

• We Go On.

Those are great photos. I feel so patriotic right now.

• Some imagination, huh?

Ah-may-zing. AMAZING, Mike!! Seriously some of your best work and you can see your passion in the subject in the shots. Great stuff.

• Elk Grove Chris

Looks to have been a truly moving ceremony, thanks for capturing it for us.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Wow, fantastic photos.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 7.23.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

• Minion

Here's the Pretty for today. I was heading back to Paradise Pier Hotel on my way home and spent a little time wandering the grounds of the Disneyland Hotel. It was a hot and humid day but the sky was just gorgeous. I looked up and saw the beautiful flowers and palm trees so I just had to get down on my knees and take a shot looking straight up.

---------- Post added 07-09-2011 at 02:37 PM ----------

I am thinking about planning the next Mice Chat Photo Meet for Friday, September 23rd. We should have some Halloween activities going on by that time as well as fireworks that night.

How does this date sound to anyone interested???