Page 9 of 158 FirstFirst ... 6789101112193459109 ... LastLast

• Dontcha know?

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Hey there! Just wanted to say thanks for sharing all of these fantastic photos

Earlier this year I bought the Sony Cybershot DSC-H20, which I was told is a rather high-end point and shoot. However, it doesn't allow me to adjust the shutter speed or aperture. The camera does comes with a setting for nighttime shots, but the pictures I've taken with on that setting either come out too blurry or too dark. Any tips for taking good night shots without being able to adjust a camera's settings?

Thanks!

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Ah I love it! Lines and framing are my favorite things to do for composition. The rain pictures are fabulous. It's inspired me to make a trip down to the resort during the next storm we have down here in socal(which won't be until winter but still i want to lol)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Great tips all, and I agree with you about the rain. After driving down from NorCal one night, we decided to go into the park when we arrived as it had a couple hours left open, and it had just rained. The place was literally empty, plus it was early January and just happened to be the night before Haunted Mansion Holiday closed, Christmas decorations were all still up. Talk about walking by accident into a great opportunity for both ambiance! Unfortunately, I was not prepared, and therefore didn't end up getting any photos thanks to not wanting to get my camera wet, but alas..which brings to another tip: if it is the rainy season, bring a plastic bag or super small umbrella, just in case, so you can take advantage of rain photos
    I might have been there that night too. I had read somewhere that if you are taking pictures in the rain and holding an umbrella, it should be a dark umbrella so it doesn't allow stray light into the lens. I know I am way too uncoordinated to hold an umbrella and work my camera. I would end up dropping one of them and with my luck, probably the camera.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Row2k View Post

Earlier this year I bought the Sony Cybershot DSC-H20, which I was told is a rather high-end point and shoot. However, it doesn't allow me to adjust the shutter speed or aperture. The camera does comes with a setting for nighttime shots, but the pictures I've taken with on that setting either come out too blurry or too dark. Any tips for taking good night shots without being able to adjust a camera's settings?

Thanks!
    I have found that the nightime setting on my Point & Shoot, only slow the shutter speed down and the pictures have all sucked. If you aren't using a tripod, avoid the night time settings.

I have a Canon IS880 Point & Shoot which is a couple years old. I did an experiment with it the other night that turned out to be very interesting. I will cover it in more detail in an upcoming post about Dark Rides. However, one thing that I did find to be VERY interesting is this.
    I shot some pictures of my aquarium in a dark room and then checked the exif info to see what changed when I zoomed in and out.
    With the lens as wide open as it would go, (all the way back), the Aperture that the camera automatically set was a very reasonable and pretty fast F/2.8.

When I zoomed in, even the smallest amount, the camera automatically changed the Aperture to F/5.8, which is a lot slower. The Aperture stayed at F/5.8 all the way through zooming in as far as I could (X15). The more I zoomed in, the smaller the file size became and the worse the photo became.

This led me to the conclusion that if you are taking pictures at night or in dark rides (where you cannot use a flash), keep the lens as wide open as you can and do not zoom at all. Use the largest file size you can and get as close to the subject as you can. Then you can crop the photo to keep what you want and it will be a lot clearer and sharper than if you used the zooming feature.

Also, a tip on holding and using Point & Shoots. If your camera has a viewfinder, use it instead of the LCD screen. Your hands are much more stable and don't move as much when the camera is close to you. The further you hold the camera from your body, the easier it moves when you press the shutter. If you do use the LCD screen, make sure your elbows are bent and hold the camera as close to you as possible. Also, make sure your feet are not together. Always spread your feet to shoulder width apart so you don't sway as much when you stand still.

One other major tip is to set your camera to Continuous Shooting and take 3 or 4 shots at a time. The first one is almost always blurry from you pressing the shutter. By the time #3 fires off, you are holding the camera more steady. This really helps when shooting stuff like fireworks.

Please let me know if any of this helps.

Mike

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Ah I love it! Lines and framing are my favorite things to do for composition. The rain pictures are fabulous. It's inspired me to make a trip down to the resort during the next storm we have down here in socal(which won't be until winter but still i want to lol)
    Me too!
    After looking through my rainy night photos, I can't wait for the frist rain of the season. Maybe I'll see you there!!!

• Some imagination, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    8-8-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo tip of the Day”- It’s Raining, It’s Pouring, Rain Pictures Aren’t Boring, is inspired by a photo from Disneyworld I saw on Flickr the other day. It was of a young girl on Main St. with her arms stretched to the heavens in the middle of a heavy rainstorm. Most of the people in the background were running for cover yet she was enjoying every drop. Like Gene Kelly in "Singing in the Rain", she embraced the rain and made the most of it.
    Do you have a link to this picture? I'd like to see it

• Minion

Thanks!
    I just looked up the specs on your camera at Sony's website. It is a very nice camera. I saw that the largest possible Aperture is F/3.5, which is pretty good. That is only when the lens is as wide open as it can be, as soon as you zoom, it gets smaller, which mean slower or the ISO will increase.

I saw that the Burst Mode is really fast, so that works in your favor when squeezing off 3 or 4 shots in a row like I mentioned earlier.

I also saw that it had Easy RAW NR. I wasn't sure what that meant, but if you can shoot in RAW mode, do it, especially in low light situations where you have a high ISO. Noise reduction software works a whole lot better on RAW files than it does on jpegs.

Hope that helps.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Do you have a link to this picture? I'd like to see it
    I can't seem to find the bloody thing. I searched through Flickr for about 45 minutes and can't find it. I tried every search criteria that I could think of. It was on Main St. USA at Disney World. The girl was about 13 years old wearing shorts and a tank top and it was pouring rain.
    I wish I could find it because I'd like a copy of it too.

Sorry

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Hot Sauce - I've been out traveling for the past few weeks, but I just wanted to thank you for this very informative thread, and for sharing these wonderful shots with us. I know how time intensive it can be to upload these shots, but to go above and beyond and to give tutorials and answer questions is really greatly appreciated.

Well done sir!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Hot Sauce - I've been out traveling for the past few weeks, but I just wanted to thank you for this very informative thread, and for sharing these wonderful shots with us. I know how time intensive it can be to upload these shots, but to go above and beyond and to give tutorials and answer questions is really greatly appreciated.

Well done sir!
    Very, very kind of you to say. Hopefully one day in the not so distant future, my photos will be almost as good as yours.

• We Go On.

Amazing photos, and wonderful tips! Thank you so much for sharing these with us!

I too have noticed the branches provide a great framing opportunity on the GRR trail.

I love rainy disneyland photos! I would love to live close enough to say to the kids "quick it's raining lets go to the park".

And I am very thankful to you for all the little tips. I am anxious to try them out the next time I have reason to take some pictures.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Thanks!

Sorry for butting on on HotSauce's excellent thread, lol, but a quick response to this...my P&S camera as well has some "night settings" (Fujifilm Finepix S1500), and experimentation with the "Night Tripod" setting led me to buy a collapsible tripod before my last trip to Disneyland. It worked out surprisingly well. Could carry it around with ease during the day in backpack, collapsed form is about 6 inches and weighs less than 2 pounds, and at night, easy to just screw the camera onto it and carry it around like that, set it up when wanted a shot and stand back.

Here are a few sample photos taken with this setup:

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I am hoping that as this thread progresses, I can make it much more detailed and informative, not only on Disneyland but on how cameras work and post processing techniques as well.

I also hope that you will get into more post process details. However, I am LOVING your tips so far. They are easily accessible for beginners like myself.
    - Bobd

thanks so much for these tips!! I was able to try a few of them while playing with my dad's (much nicer) camera this past week during a vacation in Hawaii.... unfortunately it's back to my P&S for pics in the park

Anyways, you've got an amazing eye for photography and take beautiful pictures. Thanks for taking the time to explain things to those of us who are not so knowledgeable!