Page 92 of 157 FirstFirst ... 428289909192939495102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 2354

• Some imagination, huh?

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Just my humble opinion, but I think that the blur on the wave isn't that bad. Now it looks like Peter wants a high five

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    “Today’s Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day”[/B][/I] I wanted to take a quick break from the post processing tutorials on lightening up areas of a photo and revisit the post I did on 6-13-11 about Panning. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    The Disneyland Photo of the Day...
    So I was experimenting with this technique this weekend with mixed success. Pardon the off-topic source material... but DL isn't around the corner for me

I struggled with the size of the area in focus. You see this slightly with your BTMRR shots too, but thought it might just be the different cars moving differently.. but in my shots it's just a go-kart so no worries about that. I found I had a sphere of focus in the center, but I struggled to get the entire cart in focus. Any input on factors that influence this? These were shot with a telephoto in shutter priority mode and with the camera in AF area mode. The lens would AF quick enough, but the area in focus struggled.

Wasn't sure if it was speed of the pan... my shooting position relative to the vehicle's movement.. or some other factors. Here are some of the better attempts.

I'm undecided if having another vehicle blurred helps or takes away. I'm leaning towards takes away...

This is my favorite.. except her steady concentration doesn't exactly lead to the feeling of 'extreme' This is her first time driving the full size carts herself

Any tips to improve the size of the area in focus so the full cart is sharp?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So I was experimenting with this technique this weekend with mixed success. Pardon the off-topic source material... but DL isn't around the corner for me

I struggled with the size of the area in focus. You see this slightly with your BTMRR shots too, but thought it might just be the different cars moving differently.. but in my shots it's just a go-kart so no worries about that. I found I had a sphere of focus in the center, but I struggled to get the entire cart in focus. Any input on factors that influence this? These were shot with a telephoto in shutter priority mode and with the camera in AF area mode. The lens would AF quick enough, but the area in focus struggled.

Wasn't sure if it was speed of the pan... my shooting position relative to the vehicle's movement.. or some other factors. Here are some of the better attempts.

I'm undecided if having another vehicle blurred helps or takes away. I'm leaning towards takes away...

This is my favorite.. except her steady concentration doesn't exactly lead to the feeling of 'extreme' This is her first time driving the full size carts herself

Any tips to improve the size of the area in focus so the full cart is sharp?
    I think you did really well with these. To be honest, I don't know if there is a way to increase the size of the area in focus. When I shot mine, I selected a single auto focus point and would press the shutter half way so it was lit and I would try to keep that point where I wanted the focus to be. I didn't succeed very well but it seemed easier to get what I wanted some of the time.

I listened to a photography podcast a while back and they were talking about photographing a NASCAR race. The professional race photographer was saying that the hood is what is supposed to be in focus and the rest of the car could be blurred. The part that was hard for me to grasp was that he said for cars at that speed, you would need a shutter speed of 1/500 to 1/800 of a second. The part that I thought was brilliant was he said that the shutter speed had to be fast enough to freeze the car, but not so fast that the tires were sharp. If the tires weren't blurred, it would look like the car was parked.

For the subject matter you shot here, I think the driver is the most important subject in the photo and you got those perfectly.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Pilot EdForceOne

For the subject matter you shot here, I think the driver is the most important subject in the photo and you got those perfectly.
    Thanks.. looking at it again I'm thinking it has to do with the car's movement vs my panning motion. The photo with the formula cart is sharp all the way.. that image the cart was moving in a straight line perpendicular to me.. and in the same direction as my panning.

But the other shots were more on a curve and heading towards me a bit. I'm wondering if that rotation of the car is why I couldn't get the corners sharp.

I had a heck of a time getting my camera happy with exposure earlier in the day because of the white concrete.. it was constantly complaining about exposure and earlier shots had the faces dark compared to the glossy cars. Later in the day, I had more fill light from the sun and things were more evenly lit. I was amazed at how much the light plus the different backgrounds made colors pop. Like these.. very vibrant

vs

Picking lighting is obvious.. but I was surprised by how different the photos looked when the grey track was minimized
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Thanks.. looking at it again I'm thinking it has to do with the car's movement vs my panning motion. The photo with the formula cart is sharp all the way.. that image the cart was moving in a straight line perpendicular to me.. and in the same direction as my panning.

But the other shots were more on a curve and heading towards me a bit. I'm wondering if that rotation of the car is why I couldn't get the corners sharp.

I had a heck of a time getting my camera happy with exposure earlier in the day because of the white concrete.. it was constantly complaining about exposure and earlier shots had the faces dark compared to the glossy cars. Later in the day, I had more fill light from the sun and things were more evenly lit. I was amazed at how much the light plus the different backgrounds made colors pop. Like these.. very vibrant

vs

Picking lighting is obvious.. but I was surprised by how different the photos looked when the grey track was minimized
    It is surprising how touchy "Panning" can be. It's also surprising how fun it can be to do.

• Minion

8-23-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” revisits the previous tutorials on lightening up specific areas in a photo. Today we use the Dodge & Burn Tools in Photoshop Elements. Dodging and Burning goes back to the old days of developing film in a darkroom and is the technique applied to certain areas of a photograph to either increase or decrease the exposure of that area. For a full description of what these terms are, here is the link to them on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodging_and_burning

For this lesson I’ll use another photo that I took of Grizzly River Rapids where the tree in the foreground is too dark.

After opening the photo in Photoshop Elements, I am going to click on the Dodge Tool down near the bottom of the tool palette. Most of the time you will have to right click on this tool spot to get its pop out menu and choose the Dodge Tool.

The most important aspect of using the Dodge and/or Burn tool is to use a low opacity brush, usually around 15%. The reason for this is because it gives greater control of the lightening of that area because the more you go over it, the lighter it becomes. This is also important because if you go over an area several times, you would see lines from the edge of the brush if your opacity was too high.

If you were to set it at 100%, this is what the tree would look like after one pass. As you can see, not only is it too light, it washes out the color and contrast in the texture of the tree.

I kept the tool at 15% and chose a large soft edge brush and went over the tree. I ran across it several times, gently brushing some area lighter than others. I also zoomed in on the branches, decreased the size of the brush and went over them a few times.

I also zoomed in on the edges of the tree and did my best to lighten up the details along the edges like this knot.

Now I’m going to click on the Burn tool to darken the over exposed areas in the photo.

Those rocks along the shoreline really need to be toned down a touch.

I also did the rocks on the other edge of the shore.

The next thing I did was to zoom in on just the water area and ran a really large Burn tool brush, at 15% over the water a few times to darken it a little bit.

After that, I went into the Quick Edit Mode and darkened the highlights by 3, lightened the shadows by 2 and increased the contrast a little bit. I also clicked on the Auto Color button which didn’t make much difference but it did warm the scene up a touch.

Here is the final result.

As you can see, the Dodge tool can work really well and is very quick and easy to use. The drawback of it is that it brightens up the area but can easily wash out the color and contrast so those need to be dealt with after you get the brightness where you want it. The Burn tool also works great but needs to be done with a gentle hand for a subtle and smooth effect.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, pleaseclick here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• We Go On.

A tip for panning: Although I've never tried panning myself, I know that any vehicle that is changing directions is going to blur more because of the different angles that will appear in a single exposure. You could see that with the BTMRR train it was blurred not because of inferior panning skills (mind you, that last one was near perfect) but because it was rounding a turn. Those situations are going to be blurry unless you actually run with the train, maintaining a single perspective throughout the exposure. It would probably help to find an object moving in a straight line in any direction and also at a distance, because flattening the image with zoom can also get rid of any inconsistencies. But then again artistically zoom can sometimes be a compromise.

Great job!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    A tip for panning: Although I've never tried panning myself, I know that any vehicle that is changing directions is going to blur more because of the different angles that will appear in a single exposure. You could see that with the BTMRR train it was blurred not because of inferior panning skills (mind you, that last one was near perfect) but because it was rounding a turn. Those situations are going to be blurry unless you actually run with the train, maintaining a single perspective throughout the exposure. It would probably help to find an object moving in a straight line in any direction and also at a distance, because flattening the image with zoom can also get rid of any inconsistencies. But then again artistically zoom can sometimes be a compromise.

Great job!
    Well said! Thanks so much for the input.

• Minion

It's World of Color Wednesday, so here's the "Pretty" for today, taken from the bridge into Pacific Wharf.

• Minion

I dedicate today's "Pretty" photo to my lovely wife Diane who so graciously puts up with all my crap. I'd marry her all over again.

• Elk Grove Chris

Nice, it does take a special person to put up with those of us who have a camera constantly at their side. Tell her thank you from the rest of us too for all of the cool pics and tips you share with us.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• formerly very helpful

I dedicate today's "Pretty" photo to my lovely wife Diane who so graciously puts up with all my crap. I'd marry her all over again.
    Wonderful. You are a fortunate man, indeed, to have a wife whom you adore, who loves you dearly in return.

• Hukuna Matata!

As always, you have some great pics and great instructions. Thank you Sauce!

• Minion

8-26-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” stops by Electronica and takes a front row seat for Laserman.

A few weeks ago, Tiki Mike, Mac Daddy, my wife and I met up at Disneyland for a day of doing nothing but taking pictures. One of the things on our agenda was to have a front row spot to photograph Laserman. I had photographed him once before, but with limited success at best. I got there too late and was at the back of the crowd shooting between people’s heads and had never seen the show before, so I didn’t know what to expect. Now that I knew what was going to happen, I had a much better plan of attack for it. The first part of that plan was to get there 45 minutes before his show so no one would be in front of us.

There are three pretty big challenges to overcome when trying photograph a show such as this. The first difficulty is that it is very dark. The second is that the intensity of the lasers is very bright, which easily overexpose and lose their color. The third is that he is constantly moving and so are the lasers. When you add up those three things, you know it will come down to Shutter Speed, Aperture and Exposure Compensation.

I originally wanted to use a zoom lens to photograph him so I could zoom in on small details such as the laser hitting his hand or just his face with lasers in front of it. It became very clear very quickly that my zoom lens wouldn’t work because it is a F/4 – F/5.6 and that is too small of an aperture to get the shutter speed I needed. Luckily I found out it wouldn’t work when a show tech came out about 20 minutes before the show, wearing dark clothes and shining a small laser around. I took some test shots of him and they were pretty blurry and noisy from too high of an ISO.

I quickly switched to my 50mm F/1.4 lens and set the Aperture to F/1.4, ISO to Auto (because the light changes so drastically and very quickly), and dropped my Exposure Compensation all the way down to -2 in the hopes of keeping the green lasers green instead of over exposed and white.

All of these photos were shot with those settings.
    The ISO ranged anywhere from 160 to 1000 depending upon the amount of light.
    The Shutter Speeds ranged from 1/50 to 1/100, which works pretty well for the speed at which he moves. I did get several shots that were blurry but I got more good ones than bad ones.
    Note: When I photographed him the first time from the back of the audience, I was at F/2.0, ISO Auto and Exposure Compensation down -2/3. I only got a few moderately decent photos that time.

I want to start by showing you one of the shots as it came out of the camera, unedited so you can see what they were from the beginning.

I adjusted the blacks, contrast, fill light, sharpening and a few other small tweaks. I also cropped them to get the more dramatic effect that I wanted.

I also want to point out that with the proper settings, a simple P&S camera can get good shots of him too. My wife was next to me using our old P&S and snapped these photos. She set the camera to Manual, ISO to 400 and dropped the Exposure Compensation down – 1 2/3rds. She kept the lens backed all the way out, so it would keep the Aperture as large as it could, which is F/4. Her shutter speeds ranged between 1/10 and1/40. The majority of her shots weren’t that good, but she did get several definite winners such as these.

The Laserman show is really entertaining and well worth the trip to see it, so don’t forget your camera and to drop that exposure compensation.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2011
    For a complete directory and direct links to all ofthese posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

I shot him with f5.0; 3200 ISO; 1/50 and 1/30. Some of them are kind of dark, but you can still see him.

ElecTRONica-Laser Man 03 by kerry richardson, on Flickr

ElecTRONica-Laser Man 04 by kerry richardson, on Flickr

Let's see if I can get the code to work right.

You're right that it's a great show and fun to shoot him.
    Last edited by alphabassetgrrl; 08-26-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: fixing photo code. I think.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.