Page 97 of 158 FirstFirst ... 477287949596979899100107122147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2361

• 11 Year Annual Passholder

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    In keeping with all the black and white photos we are posting for the photo contest, I thought I'd run with that for the "pretty" for the day. Normally I would do a bunch of noise reduction on this to get rid of the graininess in it but for this image, I thought it made the shot a little grittier and darker. Thoughts?
    I love this shot... The graininess definitely does add to the mood.

^Art by me!
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 4.19.15}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 20

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I love this shot... The graininess definitely does add to the mood.
    Thanks! It was pretty hard to resist the urge to clean it up though.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Here's the "Pretty" for today. This is another of my attempts at Dark Ride HDR. I guess the Primevil World is a dark ride, of sorts.

I won't be able to do a post on Friday as I will be in Disneyland for the next two days playing tour guide to some long lost family members. I have a few beauty ones planned, so hopefully soon.

• Minion

Sorry I was gone for a while. I'll be back with another new tutorial tomorrow. In the mean time here's a view of the fireworks from in front of It's a Small World taken during the recent Mice Chat Photo Meet.

I like the noise in the Pumpkin King shot.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

10-4-11
    Today’s “DisneylandPhoto Tip of the Day” pays a visit to the Golden Horseshoe Saloon and takes a look at Billy Hill & the Hillbillies.

During the last Mice Chat Photo Meet, we went to photograph the Billy Hill show and I have to admit, I was very surprised by what it took to get good shots of it. What I thought I knew about photographing a show like this and what it actually took were two entirely different things.

The first thing we did was head into the audience right after a previous show finished. This way we could get the three tables right in front of the stage.

At first, I assumed that the Billy Hill show would require virtually the same camera settings as any other type of show with bright theater lighting. I set the camera to Aperture priority and chose the largest aperture my 18-55 mm kit lens would allow at F/3.5. (when I zoom it drops to F/5.6) Then I figured that since we were indoors and mostly lit by incandescent lighting that Tungsten would be the correct white balance setting. I knew that the main performer would be brightly lit so I set the Metering Mode to Spot Metering and dropped the Exposure Compensation down to -1. I left the ISO on Auto so it could adjust to the changing light. Basically that meant it would be at 1600.

As soona s the show started, I took a few shots and looked at how I did. (not good) Thes hot was too dark and way too red. This was on Tungsten, Spot Metering and EC-1.

The first thing I did was to raise the Exposure Compensation up to -1/3rd and kept the metering on Spot. It was still way too red and had some blown highlights on the performers face that wasn't in the center of the frame. .

I raised the Exposure Compensation to 0, which I almost never use thinking it might improve the lighting. As you can see it was still too dark and uneven light.

When they got close to us and close to each other, the settings worked pretty well. In the computer, I did adjust the color temp down to 2700 (tungsten is at 3200) and got much better coloring.

I switched the Metering Mode to Partial Spot to let the camera meter a larger area and try to improve the overall balance of light. The Exposure Compensation is still at 0, ISO at 1600. I raised the color temp to 2800.

These are the same settings and you can see that it also works for the entire stage and performers.
    Aperture F/4, ISO 1600, Shutter Speed 1/320, Partial Spot Metering, Exposure Compensation 0, White Balance 2800,

I hope these tips can help you capture your very own Hillbilly…

HappySnapping!
    For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, pleaseclick here:
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 10-04-2011 at 12:49 AM.

• Minion

For today's "Pretty" photo, here's one from Mickey's Soundsational Parade that I got to see for the first time at night last week. I hadn't seen this at night yet but was really looking forward to the challenge of photographing it in darkness with all the street lighting on it. It took me a little while to get all the camera settings dialed in but once I did, I was surprised at how good some of my shots came out. One of the things I really enjoy trying to capture in this particular parade are the dancers in front of the Little Mermaid float. The flowing movement of their costumes is fantastic and can be really interesting in photographs. Since it was night time, I picked a apot where I had a small area of black background and waited until they went into that area with the lighting behind them. With my slight fill flash and timing, I got a few shots that I am really, really happy with. These have much more of an abstract and artistic feel to them, which is what I was hoping to capture. Hope you like it too.

• formerly very helpful

Those pteranodons is a shot I've been trying unsuccessfully to get for years. Great photo.

• Some imagination, huh?

Nice work with the color temp settings on the Billy Hill pics! Really makes a difference.

• Minion

Today's "Pretty" is one I call Conundrum. Without Darkness there can be no light and without light, there can be no color. (It's actually another example of taking a photo that is just kind of "Meh" and making it pop by converting it to black and white.)

• Elk Grove Chris

Spectacular!
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Minion

10-7-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” takes a look at Concert Photography with The Antix.

Many people consider concert photography to be some of the most difficult and challenging types of photography out there. For usual concerts, one of the hardest parts is getting through the security guards and into the photographers pit, usually to the side of the stage. If you are lucky enough to get into the pit, NO FLASH whatsoever and you are only allowed to shoot the first 3 songs. By the time you get your settings correct for all the variations in lighting, you are shut down and booted out. You normally don’t even get to stay for the rest of the concert.

The key to concert photography comes down to Aperture and timing. The light is so intense and is changing so rapidly that you need the largest aperture you can possibly get. Most concert photographers use the 70-200 F/2.8, 24/70 F/2.8 and 50mm F/1.4 lenses.

Fortunately, Disneyland offers a very good practice stage for concert photography at the Tomorrowland Terrace. It’s a fantastic learning ground because you can get right up to the stage, you can shoot as long as the band is playing and it has very similar but not as intense as a real concert stage lighting. Here also, no flash photography should be used. It’s not only rude but very distracting to the band performing.

On the last Mice Chat Photo Meet, several of us ended up in front of the stage to shoot the band performing called The Antix. Not only were they a very good band, the two lead singers were very photogenic and animated when they sang.

I had just finished shooting Fantasmic, so I had my 55-250 zoom lens on which has a maximum aperture of F/4 and going to F/5.6 when I zoom. This was technically not the right lens for the job but I knew the band would be finishing up soon so I didn’t want to waste time changing lenses and to be perfectly honest, I was just too tired to do it.

The lighting changes rapidly and is very intense on the performers, so I set my Aperture as large as I could, ISO to Auto and Exposure Compensation down to -1. I set the Metering Mode to Partial Spot Metering. White Balance was on Auto.

We were right against the stage, so with my zoom lens on, I couldn’t get the entire band in the scene so I decided to get close and as intimate as I could with the singers. I wanted to capture their emotions and the joy they showed when singing. I also wanted to use the lighting and smoke machine to my advantage and go for some artistic and unique photos.

Gregg Cooper was also there using a 30mm lens so he was able to get a much wider view than I could. To show you some different styles and views of shooting this, here are a few of Gregg’s photos.

For not having the right lens on my camera, by dropping the Exposure Compensation down-1 and focusing on just the faces, I was surprised at how many good photos I came away with.

At my shortest focal length of 55mm, these were as much as I could get in the frame.
    F/4, 55mm, ISO 640, 1/60th.

F/4, 55mm, ISO 800, 1/60th.

F/4, 55mm, ISO 320, 1/80th.

I really enjoyed zooming in close and just focusing on the faces. In doing so, my aperture would get smaller so my ISO had to increase to make up for it. This created more noise but that’s easily taken care of in post.
    F/5, 131mm, ISO 1600, 1/160th.

I would follow the singers as they moved through the light and smoke to try and capture something unique. I also used the Optik Verve Virtual Photographer plugin that I showed you a while ago and had some fun going for low key and high key images.

This is one of my favorites. I loved how the smoke created such a soft mood when she stepped behind it.

I also gave it a “Tetley” effect that was kind of cool.

This band only plays at Disneyland about once permonth but I’m sure the others are just as fun to photograph.

Happy Snapping!

For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    10-4-11
    Today’s “DisneylandPhoto Tip of the Day” pays a visit to the Golden Horseshoe Saloon and takes a look at Billy Hill & the Hillbillies.

During the last Mice Chat Photo Meet, we went to photograph the Billy Hill show and I have to admit, I was very surprised by what it took to get good shots of it. What I thought I knew about photographing a show like this and what it actually took were two entirely different things.

The first thing we did was head into the audience right after a previous show finished. This way we could get the three tables right in front of the stage.

At first, I assumed that the Billy Hill show would require virtually the same camera settings as any other type of show with bright theater lighting. I set the camera to Aperture priority and chose the largest aperture my 18-55 mm kit lens would allow at F/3.5. (when I zoom it drops to F/5.6) Then I figured that since we were indoors and mostly lit by incandescent lighting that Tungsten would be the correct white balance setting. I knew that the main performer would be brightly lit so I set the Metering Mode to Spot Metering and dropped the Exposure Compensation down to -1. I left the ISO on Auto so it could adjust to the changing light. Basically that meant it would be at 1600.

As soona s the show started, I took a few shots and looked at how I did. (not good) Thes hot was too dark and way too red. This was on Tungsten, Spot Metering and EC-1.

The first thing I did was to raise the Exposure Compensation up to -1/3rd and kept the metering on Spot. It was still way too red and had some blown highlights on the performers face that wasn't in the center of the frame. .

I raised the Exposure Compensation to 0, which I almost never use thinking it might improve the lighting. As you can see it was still too dark and uneven light.

When they got close to us and close to each other, the settings worked pretty well. In the computer, I did adjust the color temp down to 2700 (tungsten is at 3200) and got much better coloring.

I switched the Metering Mode to Partial Spot to let the camera meter a larger area and try to improve the overall balance of light. The Exposure Compensation is still at 0, ISO at 1600. I raised the color temp to 2800.

These are the same settings and you can see that it also works for the entire stage and performers.
    Aperture F/4, ISO 1600, Shutter Speed 1/320, Partial Spot Metering, Exposure Compensation 0, White Balance 2800
    I know what you mean, I've taken to shooting this show at about 2500K, seems to come out pretty darn nice. If a shot's really red, and you've shot in RAW, Adobe Lightroom can take it as far down as 2200 I think.

I, unfortunately, wasn't quite so lucky with that performance...

Billy Hill and The Hillbillies by Omnitographer, on Flickr

Poor Billy in the front there is rather out of focus, the victim of a shallow DoF on a wide open lens. Still, I'd rather have that shot, with one blurry billy, than have no shot at all
    Last edited by Omnitographer; 10-07-2011 at 01:58 AM.

• Minion

10-11-11

Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is about capturing the candid, natural reactions that people have to the magic of Disneyland, especially when seeing it for the first time. Most of us Disney Park regulars are so focused on photographing whatever Disney is showing us that we forget to look at what it does to us. The human reaction to the show is the whole purpose of the show. That Sense of Wonder can make for some wonderful photographic memories.

Last week I had the pleasure of taking my sister and niece to Disneyland. It was their first time ever seeing the place I call home. After Space Mountain, the first ride I took them on was Finding Nemo. I knew they would be blown away by it so I set my camera to meter the light coming into the portholes instead of what was outside them, hoping to capture the look on their faces. Not only did I get some wonderful pictures of them, I got one that really makes me laugh.

I also knew that the World of Color show would have a dramatic effect on them so when the flame sequence came up I turned around to catch the warm glowing firelight on them.

So if you have any friends or family members who haven’t been to Disneyland it might be a good time to play tour guide and capture some magical pictures. If you don’t have any ready and willing first timers, you can also look for people wearing the 1st. Visit buttons and keep a lens on them.

Happy Snapping!

For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

• Minion

Today's "Pretty" photo is one that I think is actually very pretty. It's aoother from the Little Mermaid sequence of the parade that I shot a few weeks ago. It took me about 40 practice shots of people walking in the street before the parade to get the proper balance of parade backlighting and my flash but it did work out the way I wanted. I call this one Angst.