Page 99 of 158 FirstFirst ... 49748996979899100101102109124149 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2361

• Some imagination, huh?

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Sorry you had such a bad experience with a security guard, but know that despite him you've got plenty of people on here that support you in your photographic endeavors!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    Love the new shots... Thanks for sticking with this despite your busy schedule. I think I speak for many people when I say that this is one of the best threads on MiceChat.
    Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Sorry you had such a bad experience with a security guard, but know that despite him you've got plenty of people on here that support you in your photographic endeavors!!!
    That is very kind of both of you to say. It's comforting to know someone appreciates my little hobby.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

I don't always say so, but I very much appreciate your hobby! I'm amazed at how clear the castle is in that top shot and the lights look like they're something physical! That's amazing.

Sorry you had a run-in with security. I guess anybody with a camera and a tripod will at some point.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

11-1-11
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is one that affects all of us at one time or another.

Invariably one of the first and most common things people do when they visit Disneyland is take their picture or have someone take their picture in front of the castle. After all, who doesn’t want their picture in front of the most iconic structure in Disneyland. It’s recognizable all over the world and is the epitome of the fantasy world that Disneyland represents.

The only problem with this location is the fact that everyone else in Disneyland is either walking through the castle, sitting around it or taking their own picture in front of it.

However, by using the photographic principles of Compression from Zooming along with Distance to Subject, you can capture those treasured memories without them looking like the same crappy vacation photo that everyone else ends up with.

Here I am in front of the castle taking a picture of my friends Larry & Rebecca who kindly volunteered to pose for me. I’m on the left and they are the couple in black on the right of the frame. As you can see, there are all kinds of people milling about and the entire area is filled with activity.

You are almost guaranteed to have people walking in front of you and right into your photo like this person who freaked out when she walked into the shot.

Here is what that photo normally looks like. Yes you can see the castle and Larry and Rebecca but they are lost in the frame and all the other people make it seem very crowded and hectic. Nobody cares what shoes you are wearing or about the crowd around you, nor do they really need to see the entire castle. If Larry, Rebecca and the castle are supposed to be the focus of the photo, that is all we need to see.

You can try going vertical with it and eliminate some of the crowd but the problems are still the same. Also note the visual distance between the subjects and the castle.

I did not move but I had Larry & Rebecca come closer to me, cutting the distance between us in half. I also kneeled down so I would be shooting upwards at them.

By them coming closer, shooting upwards and zooming in on them, the compression factor makes the castle seem much closer and the crowd is no longer in the frame. Now Larry and Rebecca are clearly the focus of the photo with the beautiful castle acting as a dramatic backdrop. I also had them turn their shoulers partially towards me to create a more flattering pose. You can't see the entire caslte but enough of it is showing so anyone would know what it is.

This also works really well for more personal and romantic photos.

Another simple trick is to move over a little bit to the walkways on the side of the castle where it is far less crowded and use the same techniques to get wonderful photos with fewer people in the way.

I hope these little tips help make the moments you want to remember far more memorable.

HappySnapping!

For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

Wow- I'm going to have to remember that. Shooting people and the castle is always a challenge, but those shots are great! Thanks for the tip!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Just a quick "Pretty" for the day.

• Minion

I don't know if I would call todays shot a "Pretty" as compared to a "Scary". I took this during the last Mice Chat Photo Meet when we were taking photos of the architecture in Tomorrowland. For the contest we had to have the cameras set to Monochrome and I turned my exposure compensation down -2/3 so I would get more contrast between light and dark and because the camera naturally overexposes things when set on Monochrome. I turned and noticed some Storm Troopers walking right at me. The were right in front of me before I could really get the camera ready to take a shot so this is what I ended up with. I cropped this for a more dramatic view and increased the contrast a bit.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Wow! I love the intensity of that Storm Troopers picture.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 9.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Minion

11-5-11
    Today's "Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day" takes an inside look into the Princess Factory. This unique little salon in Fantasyland is where little girls are transformed from head to toe into miniature versions of their favorite Disney Princess. You can choose from several different packages that include hair and make-up and even nail polish along with all the gowns and accessories that make up the complete Princess package.

Today we pay (and I mean PAY) a visit to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

I've been wanting to photograph this place for quite some time, knowing it would not only be fun to do and a challenge but a perfect subject for a tutorial. The only thing holding me back was the small problem of not having any children of my own.

I finally got my chance when a fellow photographer and mother of a little girl I had taken a picture of previously agreed to let me tag along with them and take all the pictures I wanted. My model, the little Princess Leila was delightful and made a great subject for these photos.

A while back, my wife was watching America's Next Top Model. (no I don't watch it, although Tyra Banks is REALLY HOT!) In that particular episode they did a photo shoot of black and white candid shots of the models getting their hair and make up done. She showed me that segment of the show and it really sparked the idea to do the same type of thing in the boutique. I told Leila's mom about it (who also watches the show) and she loved the idea as well.

I do have to say that taking pictures of children getting their hair and make-up done for the first time is a bigger challenge than I expected. Also making it tough is the lighting in the boutique is by far some of the worst and most difficult lighting I've ever dealt with in Disneyland. Seriously, dark rides are easier to shoot in than this place. The lighting is dim, has a horrific color temperature and isn't placed anywhere to be flattering to the subject. The space is also pretty small and filled with people making it very hard to move around while the process is going on. (A funny side note to this is that for most of these little girls, this is the first time they have ever had this type of make over. It isn't like grown women in a salon where everyone is chatting and smiling. All of the girls in the chairs were completely silent and had very serious looks on their faces the whole time.)

I started off using my 18-55 F/3.5 - F/5.6 kit lens with an external Canon 430 EX flash attached to the camera. I'm not very experienced with this type of flash so most of my shots at the beginning were either over exposed, under exposed or flat out blurry. (mostly blurry) Once I knew how much room I had between the subject and myself, I switched to my 50mm F/1.4 prime lens which worked out much better. The larger aperture gave me quicker shutter speeds and a shallower depth of field, which is what I wanted for these type of portraits. I will list all the EXIF information including the color temperature that I had to change it to in the computer so you can see what was needed.

Here is Princess Leila at the start of her make over. (Note: Leila is very fair skinned so I also ran her photos through Portrait Professional just to smooth out her skin tone.)

F/2.8, 50mm, 1/50th, ISO 800, Flash Exposure Compensation -1/3, Color Temp 4000.

Gloria, our stylist was really nice and had a very tender demeanor with Leila. She started with combing the hair and putting it into a ponytail.

F/2.2, 50mm, 1/125th, ISO 800, Flash EC -1/3, Color Temp 3300

One of the black and white portrait shots with a slight, white vignette added to it.

F/2.2, 50mm, 1/100th, ISO 800, Flash EC -1/3, Color Temp 4100.

I really enjoyed trying to capture the small details of the styling and the caring relationship between Gloria and Leila.

F/2.2, 50mm, 1/80th, ISO 800, Flash EC -1/3, Color Temp 3800

Another black and white portrait. Just look at those eyes!

Once the hair is done, the Princess gets to choose her tiara and it is gently and perfectly placed upon her head. I shot this one between Gloria's arm and her body as she was putting it on.

F/2.0, 50mm, 1/60th, ISO 800, Flash EC -1/3, Color Temp 4100

Here's the black and white version of this, done in a high key treatment using the Optikverve plug in for Photoshop Elements.

Making sure the tiara is perfect. Yes, I added the lens flare.

F/2.0, 50mm, 1/50th, ISO 800, Flash EC -1/3, Color Temp 3900.

Final details of pinning the tiara.

F/2.0, 50mm, 1/40th, ISO 800, Flash EC -1/3, Color Temp 3600.

Once the hair and make up are done and the tiara is perfectly placed, she begins the fingernail polish. They use only brand new bottles of polish for every girl and give you the bottle to keep.

F/2.0, 50mm, 1/100th, ISO 800, Flash EC -1/3, Color Temp 4200.

Mother and daughter...

They also put a shiny little butterfly on her face and glitter in her hair. The glitter is EVERYWHERE and will be all over you and everything else.

Once the hair, make up and nails are all done, they put on a pink sash and then open up the curtains, so she can see herself in the magic mirror with special lighting effects in it. The look on the family's face says it all.

F/2.8, 50mm, 1/30th, ISO 800, Flash EC -1/3, Color Temp 3500.

My wife Diane was with us and took a few photos using our Point & Shoot Camera. She had the cameras white balance set to Tungsten (or Incandescent depending up on your make of camera) She had the ISO at 400 and the Exposure compensation down -1. She did not use the flash. The shutter speed came out at 1/10th, which as you can see is a little bit too slow, causing some blurring. The color temp is pretty good though.

This one will give you a pretty good example of how tight the area is and how bad the lighting is. If you are using a P&S camera, I would recommend setting the white balance on Tungsten or Incandescent and using an ISO around 800 (if your camera can handle that well) and also using your flash. It will help fill in the bad lighting and give a more natural color tone.

There are Photopass Photographers who come around and take several photos during the process as well. I know their cameras are perfectly tuned for the lighting in there and I have no doubt they take very good photos. My main goal was to take more intimate and small detail photos than they do and I had a blast doing it.

I won't try to discuss the cost or if it is worth it or not because I don't have a daughter for a frame of reference. I can say that if I did have a daughter, she would no doubt have me wrapped around her finger and if she wanted to be a princess, I would pay for it in a heart beat. I also know I would do it again and again. I would also buy some of the Photopass Photos too, as I'm sure they are very good. Also note: The Princess Make Over Stylists are allowed to accept tips but only in cash and it is customary to tip them. Gloria was wonderful with Leila and very gentle and caring in her mannerisms, so I tipped her well.

Happy Snapping!

Excellent tutorial as always Mike. You hit a home run with photos 5 and 6. The black and white where she's looking up is classic Norman Rockwell! And the moment you captured in the color one is wonderful. Talk about a photogenic little girl. Well done sir!
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Visited/Future Visits:

Disneyland Resort: 1987, 1989, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2011, 2014

Walt Disney World Resort: ???

Tokyo Disney Resort: 2009

Disneyland Resort Paris: ???

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort: ???

• Minion

The "Pretty" photo for today is one that I've wanted to take for a very, very long time and finally had the opportunity and pleasure last night. Thanks to Ivys for letting us tag along and for such a wonderful evening.

​OOOOoooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh, nice! I'm jealous now.

• Minion

For some reason I'm really in a black and white mood lately, especially if it can give a certain feel to a photo. I took this one Sunday night after dinner at Club 33 and was still in that old time elegant mindset. So here's the dark and dreary "pretty" for today.

I have to apologize for being so behind on the tutorials. I can't seem to get out of work before 2 am lately and have had no time for anything. The next one will follow Princess Leila (featured in the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique) as she visits the real life Prinecesses in the Princess Fantasy Faire. I tested out some theories in there that I'm looking forward to sharing with you. Hopefully it will be up soon.

• formerly very helpful

Awesome!