Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Once upon a dream

Re: Marvel walk-around characters coming to Disneyland for Halloween?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    It would fit if they do it tastefully. Not have the real heroes walking around (Except for DCA) but have the Disney Characters wearing Superhero Costumes for Halloween. Mickey usually dresses like a vampire but what if this year he wanted to dress up like Wolverine. Donald may want to dress up like Howard the Duck. Goofy as Spiderman.....etc.
    That is a joke....

Quote Originally Posted by rowlf View Post
    I can only hope! Look, there are princesses EVERYWHERE. And most of the other characters are great for little kids. What about boys?? My son would be THRILLED to have Marvel characters. Why do they fit in any less than Star Wars, Muppets, or Indiana Jones?

From what I've heard, Universal has rights to the Marvel characters on the East Coast, specifically for Islands of Adventure, but there are no limitations on the West Coast.

You can hate me for it, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a Marvel land, Marvel shops, characters, and anything else they can come up with!
    What about the boys? Boys boys boys... but what about them!? Im a boy. I went to Disneyland without Marvel. Never had a problem without them. Having princesses is a poor excuse for Marvel to come into the park. Why do they fit any less than Star Wars, Muppets, and Indiana Jones? Because Indy takes place in jungles and deserts snow etc. An indy movie took place in a jungle which is why it fits in Adventureland. Star tours fits in tomorrowland because it takes place in the future/scifi which Tomorrowland is. Muppets fits no where but anything could take place in HPB. Marvel characters back there I wouldnt mind. but rides and lands are too much in my opinion. Where do you want to see Marvel in DLR? Fantasyland?

Thank you Solitary!

• Disney Fan & Musician

I really would not be excited for this. Hopefully they would only stay in DCA, if so. Hollywoodland?
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    It sounds stupid that Universal has had Marvel Characters in their parks in the past then DIsney all the sudden puts it in their park. What's next Nickolodean characters.
    Exactly. Buying up other companies' franchise brand characters and putting them in Disney parks is a loser for the Disney brand in the long run.

Short term, it will lure the customers who like those characters. But long term, it will lose the uniqueness of the Disney brand. It will turn Disney into a generic marketing mall of franchise brands that don't have anything to do with each other in spirit, sensibility or origin.

If Disney continues slapping their name on everything they can buy, eventually "Disney" won't mean anything unique, special or magical -- any more than generic, multi-brand corporations like Time-Warner and Proctor & Gamble.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Short term, it will lure the customers who like those characters.
    That is the only part of your post that any current Disney exec will care about.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaStory View Post
    That is the only part of your post that any current Disney exec will care about.
    which is a cryin' shame

I honestly think they need some creatives in exec positions because creatives are the only ones who actually care about the company and where its going. Bean pushers like Iger don't give a d*** about the heart of Disney's nostalgia nor the magic of Disney. If Iger truly cared about Disney he way the Disney CEO should, he never would have purchased Marvel in the first place, let alone try to stick the Marvel characters in the parks
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Quote Originally Posted by Babs09 View Post
    That is a joke....

What about the boys? Boys boys boys... but what about them!? Im a boy. I went to Disneyland without Marvel. Never had a problem without them. Having princesses is a poor excuse for Marvel to come into the park. Why do they fit any less than Star Wars, Muppets, and Indiana Jones? Because Indy takes place in jungles and deserts snow etc. An indy movie took place in a jungle which is why it fits in Adventureland. Star tours fits in tomorrowland because it takes place in the future/scifi which Tomorrowland is. Muppets fits no where but anything could take place in HPB. Marvel characters back there I wouldnt mind. but rides and lands are too much in my opinion. Where do you want to see Marvel in DLR? Fantasyland?
    I guess you are right. Nothing should ever change from the DL of your youth cause it was just fine... Your justifications for Indy and Star Wars are really stretching it, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    ...have the Disney Characters wearing Superhero Costumes for Halloween. Mickey usually dresses like a vampire but what if this year he wanted to dress up like Wolverine. Donald may want to dress up like Howard the Duck. Goofy as Spiderman.....etc.
    Um... Howard the Duck? That's a really bad joke, right? I

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Would anyone mind the Genie walk around Main Street? How about Beast in the hub? Or maybe other Disney characters in DCA??? Brer Fox near the Grizzly Peak?

Of course not but if Spiderman was on main street people say NO it does not fit the theme...food for thought

• Free Shuttle to DL

I know Universal Studios has a lot of these characters wandering about their park or in a parade or something. Spiderman, Capt America, Hulk.

Maybe DL could put some of these characters in the parade. I hear Hulk can really cut a rug.

What about a limited time character meet up to gauge interest? I'm not sure where it would go. The Princess Faire really is mostly girl stuff. I'm not opposed to boys liking the princesses, but the majority don't. Why not have some super heroes for the adventurous type. What about in ToonTown? They're cartoons too!

I don't know. I don't have a problem with the Marvel characters in the park, but just as long as they don't detract from the theming of the park. Don't ruin the magic, Spiderman!
    Anaheim Park Hotel
    Please feel free to PM me for more details.

Enter Promo Code: MICECHAT when you book directly from AnaheimParkHotel.com and get 15% off!

Disneyland Annual Passholders enter Promo Code: DISNEYLANDAP when you book
    directly from AnaheimParkHotel.com and get 20% off!

Why spend more?
    We've got Free Hot Breakfast and a Free Shuttle to/from Disneyland

Sad Re: Marvel walk-around characters coming to Disneyland for Halloween?

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    But doesn't Universal own all the theme park rights to Marvel?

Can someone enlighten me on the contract?
    I think someone might have already mentioned this, but Univ/IOA has exclusive rights to Marvel characters in a theme-park setting (nothing about outside hotels, restaurants [wasn't there a Marvel-themed restaurant in the works somewhere?], etc.) "east of the Mississippi." The Disney/Marvel buy-out entitles Disney to EVERYTHING - future movie rights, character rights, merchandising, publishing rights; you name it, it's now Disney's.

I can't imagine Disney putting on a half-a$$ed hero parade like the one at IOA. That being said, I can't imagine Disney forking over the millions and millions to compete with the Marvel/HP rides that folks (lucky them) are now enjoying over at IOA. Obviously, Disney has millions and millions of loyal fans and it would be suicide to ignore beloved characters in favor of comic book heroes. On the other hand, Universal hasn't done all that well with other brands brought into their parks (Viacom/Nickelodeon are no longer partners with Univ, yet there's still a Jimmy Neutron ride... Hmmm, who watches Jimmy on Sunday mornings??). The Six Flags parks have done well with the DC Comics characters, but they aren't roaming the parks, stuck on autograph and photo duty, etc.

I can see Disney signing off on using these characters at the overseas parks, but I think the North American audience would be a tougher sell. It'll be interesting to see what happens, to say the least.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^if they do it no one would do anything, what Disney fans are going to protest out side the gates if Spiderman walks around Main Street or Hollywoodland? Do it, it will do nothing but make money for them and make people smile complainants will come from the people who hate change, but kids (which look at what the Fantsyland exspasion is being built for) will not car at all and line up for pictures with their facorite hero's, and Disney fan boys want to take that away from them....bad show

whole idea is just gross if its actual character..but mickey as spiderman or whoever then thats somewhat ok but even then still pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Backside of Water View Post
    ....DONT LET MARVEL (or any superheros owned by disney) INTO THE PARKS!!!
    So, no more "Incredibles"?

Quote Originally Posted by Babs09 View Post
    .....Star tours fits in tomorrowland because it takes place in the future/scifi which Tomorrowland is.....

Not to be a jerk, but does "A Long, Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far Far Away........" ring a bell?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^does not matter to Disneyland fans, they only want products that Disney have for at least a couple years before they are used in parks.....they rather say they dont fit the theme then let kids meet there favorite super hero's, that does not sound very Disney to me.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

I dislike Princess Fantasy Faire for much the same reason that I would dislike having Marvel characters walking around the parks.

The princesses are Disney characters, they are "thematically appropriate". But the entire "attraction" is just Disney cramming a franchise into any ol' spot, in order to sell more merchandise. And that would be the entire point of the Marvel characters as well. That is why I don't like the idea. It is fair neither to Disneyland, nor to the Marvel universe, to mash them together in order to line the pocket of some detached executive.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast