Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Marvel walk-around characters coming to Disneyland for Halloween?

^even if it makes kids happy?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaStory View Post
    I dislike Princess Fantasy Faire for much the same reason that I would dislike having Marvel characters walking around the parks.
    My problem with PFF is that until recently you could meet the princesses at any random time in Fantasyland, Snow White was usually in front of her ride or near her grotto/wishing well, Cinderella would be near village Haus, Belle, would be somewhere else, usually with the Beast near her. I would love to go back to those days, when I could meet Belle and Beast, although I wouldn't want Beast getting jealous if Belle ends up liking me more but still, I also miss the days when you might randomly get Belle, or Peter Pan, or Pluto, or Pinocchio, or Alice , or Mad Hatter on a ride with you (teacups, storybook land)
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    All kinds of things make kids happy, from Dora the Explorer to Barney the Dinosaur.

That doesn't mean they should be included at Disneyland just because a corporation bought them and slapped their name on them.

Disneyland became famous because its founder refused to create stuff just for kids.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    All kinds of things make kids happy, from Dora the Explorer to Barney the Dinosaur.

That doesn't mean they should be included at Disneyland just because a corporation bought them and slapped their name on them.

Disneyland became famous because its founder refused to create stuff just for kids.

Speaking of Barney, when I was little, I dropped a Barney plush in the DL Hotel RC boat pool, and a CM went and fished it out for us, thinking back on it, I'm surprised they fished it out instead of replacing it with a Mickey or some other Disney character
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Spiderman is for EVERYONE he Kids, Teens and Adults like him. People are just scared of change and wont even let them TRY and put them in the parks.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Spiderman is for EVERYONE he Kids, Teens and Adults like him. People are just scared of change and wont even let them TRY and put them in the parks.

No one is scared of change... No one likes or wants them in the parks.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Franchises can be utilized in creative ways. Marvel could have a great fit somewhere in the resort. A place where the characters would fit, and that would give due justice to their stories as well.

But Disney isn't going to put any time, thought, or investment into this. They will just throw Spiderman on Main Street greeting kiddies right outside of a store selling merchandise with his picture on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    My problem with PFF is that until recently you could meet the princesses at any random time in Fantasyland, Snow White was usually in front of her ride or near her grotto/wishing well, Cinderella would be near village Haus, Belle, would be somewhere else, usually with the Beast near her.
    I think those encounters were much more special, for the children and the adults alike.

• Senior Minion

People are just scared of change....
    Just a word of friendly advice, Jerrod: the argument of "You're just against _(fill in the blank)_ because you don't like change" is a dog that won't hunt. It's lame, it's bogus, it's a fail.

You're of course welcome to your opinion. But please be aware that every time you label your debate opponents with "you just don't like change," you chop off another chunk of your credibility as a poster on this forum.

Your choice.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-20-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

So how do the Marvel fans feel about this?

• Minion

From most of the comments I've been reading, arguments for and against fail to explain the merits of the Marvel characters.

No one has mentioned that Disney is toying with an idea that negates over 80 years of well-crafted story telling specific to Disney. No one has mentioned yet that the elements that make many of the marvel stories successful are completely opposite from the tried true Disney ideals.

For me, it’s the right amount of light humor, a simple yet relatable story, and a heavy does of sentiment that shapes a Disney film or Theme Park. In the early days of Walt Disney Animation the artists attended after hour’s art lesions. There, the fundamentals of art and the in-house Disney style were taught. My guess is the style did not only pertain to the look of the movies but also conventional story telling methods that were to be used. To watch a classic Disney film is to be subjected to conventions and clichés that over time became increasingly essential to a Disney film. The main character subjected to forbidding circumstances early on in the film, cute woodland creatures, a score to indicate to the audience just what to feel, and an overriding sense of hope and love for the human experience.

Those are only a few elements in a Disney movie, but without them the picture lacks heart, or at least doesn’t deserve the Disney name. What makes Marvel, or any comic book brand decidedly “cool” is the edge; it's anti-Disney flavor. In my memory most major comic book settings are not removed from reality, tucked safely within our wildest dreams. They are in fact in big cities resembling our own. The villains in comics go beyond an evil stepmother’s vanity; they tread on psychopathic. And Heroes save the day when the president can’t. The common themes in comics relate to our everyday realities, physical strength and might, and the struggle for domination. Not something that would make a Disney animated musical a hit.

And just imagine if prince charming was modified to have more “edge”. What if he had a double life? How about Xray eyes to see past the queen’s disguise? What if his muscles ripped his outfit apart while he sang “One Song”? This would not pass. The same goes for a Disney theme park.

Adding a Marvel character to any park would not only be out of place but the relevance of the character would be lost. Just as the Star Wars characters have become caricatures of themselves, the marvel characters could lose their identity and become stiff 2dementioal walk arounds.

Ultimately, Disney has been in love with edge for a long time now. “Something Wicked This Way Comes,” “The Black Cauldron,” and the cult classic “Tron” all shared Disney’s ambition to appeal to an older crowd, an audience of boys that rabidly consumes popcorn with edge. But all three of these films were disappointments at the box office. If anything, it goes to show that failure is found when Disney abandons its identity. Adding Marvel properties would not so much be abandoning identity as much as it would be forcing a new one into the parks.
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 09-24-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Just say NO to the Disneyfication of Marvelland
    Matthew

• Future Cast Member :)

I really hope not! If Disney wants to have Marvel, they should open a separate park for Marvel. Disney also owns ABC, but you don't see characters from Desperate Housewives or The View walking around the park.

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    But doesn't Universal own all the theme park rights to Marvel?

Can someone enlighten me on the contract?

Thanks haha!
    I thought it was only a license to use. The Rights are retained by the owner, like Star Wars and Disney, depending on the License Agreement, Lucas could be able to License Star Wars to other entities as well.

I didn't read through the other posts, I'm sorry if someone else posted this.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Just a word of friendly advice, Jerrod: the argument of "You're just against _(fill in the blank)_ because you don't like change" is a dog that won't hunt. It's lame, it's bogus, it's a fail.

You're of course welcome to your opinion. But please be aware that every time you label your debate opponents with "you just don't like change," you chop off another chunk of your credibility as a poster on this forum.

Your choice.

Because people on these forums go either, I want this changed 100% or dont touch ANYTHING. Once again if you saw Spiderman would you really be mad? No you (and many others) would either go take a picture or keep going on rides.
    So if you guys keep out Marvel (for like 20 years before another park is added) then I have to wait until Im 40 to se him in the parks...Im sorry but that is a ridiculous amount of time. Let them add them to the parks and if then they look bad im sure Disney will not bring them out, but we all now what would really happen if people saw Spiderman on Main Street.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

So if you guys keep out Marvel (for like 20 years before another park is added) then I have to wait until Im 40 to se him in the parks...Im sorry but that is a ridiculous amount of time.
    As you have pointed out, it isn't only about what we want, it is also about the experience for the children.

So wait until you're forty, and let the next generation enjoy Marvel in an immersive, well themed, entertaining way. Let them have Disney and Marvel in a way that does justice to both. Let them experience magic the way we have with Disneyland.

Do not force Marvel into the current resort simply because there are some who think it would be "cool" to see it there.

Give Marvel a chance...to be used properly. Give it a chance to have a magic all its own. And give Disneyland a chance to retain (or even regain more of, hopefully someday) its own magic.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast