•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

DCA and Florida Tower of Terror Narration Differences

I noticed this listening to a recording of the Florida ToT attraction, and think it's a rather strange cut. In DCA, just before the drop sequence, when the hotel corridor changes into a starfield and then the projection effects begin, the narration/Rod Serling soundalike has the following lines: "One stormy night long ago, five people stepped through the door of an elevator and into a nightmare. That door is opening once again, but this time it's opening for you." At this point, the drop sequence initiates in time with the visual effect of the elevator at the far end of the hall plunging out of sight.

However, if you ride the attraction in Florida, this segment has several lines not appearing in the DCA show, that I quite like and wish they had as well. They follow thusly, after traveling through the "5th dimension" scene and just before the drops begin: "You are about to discover what lies beyond the fifth dimension, beyond the deepest darkest corner of the imagination, in the Tower of Terror". The narrator delivers this dialogue spot on, and I really do wish DCA had it directly before the drop as well, when the lights go out and it is pitch black for a second before dropping. What say you, Mice Chat public? Would you like to see the DCA version get this extra line of dialogue?

• Banned User

Re: DCA and Florida Tower of Terror Narration Differences

I agree! The DCA TOT is such a let down after riding the Florida version. I'd like to see a variety of differences, especially the narration. I really do love when the corridor lights up with the flickering lights and such in the Florida version. So spooky.

It's just perfect. Here is what you mean yes?

0:45--1:45
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d7suuWQ3Lg]YouTube - Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Front Row Seat on-ride POV Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studios[/ame]
    I completely agree. Just that intense feeling of moving into the darkness, not knowing what awaits you...

Our version really needs a two dimensional version of this without moving forward in place of the the tv screen.

• Minion

the florida version also has the extra dark ride element which I really love!

• Minion

Was Mark Silverman re-cast as Rod Serling for the DCA attraction? I think instead of them re-recording stuff they should've just borrowed it like you suggest. Adding the dialogue just prior to the drop would add to the suspense indefinately.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelio View Post
    Was Mark Silverman re-cast as Rod Serling for the DCA attraction? I think instead of them re-recording stuff they should've just borrowed it like you suggest. Adding the dialogue just prior to the drop would add to the suspense indefinately.
    The narrations don't sound the same... the DCA one sounds a lot deeper and without Serling's speech patterns.

• The Study of Wumbo

I think the lines you speak of were omitted for the Summer Nighttastic "enhancements" this year. I don't know if they'll be returning.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    I think the lines you speak of were omitted for the Summer Nighttastic "enhancements" this year. I don't know if they'll be returning.
    If so, that's too bad as now neither one has them...

I think they do add a lot, and would really kind of top off the DCA attraction with a brief "blackout" before the drop.

In addition, I do understand why the DCA boiler room is more theatrical and has dramatic lighting (located in the backlot area, so it's more 'filmic'), but I prefer the brick-based, dusty, and realistic dimly lit boiler room in Florida with just bare bulbs and sort of red light, instead of the dramatic blues and purples coming from openly visible theatrical spotlights.

Yeah, that line, which I consider the pinnacle line of the entire attraction, was removed for Summer Nightastic, along with the scenery in the 5th dimension. Basically everything that made our version special is gone, so IMO you guys have the better Tower right now. Hopefully it's only temporary.

• =)

I can't offer any opinion on the WDW version because I haven't been on it yet, sadly, and I want to avoid watching videos of it in order to enjoy it more when I eventually get the chance. But I will say that I very much like the way ours flows from the narration to the drop sequence. In all likelihood, if I were used to it with the additional line, I'd probably love it, but as it is, it feels unnecessary to me. Ending with "...it's opening for you" still has some dramatic weight to it, but it's subtle enough that a fair number of people are still surprised by the drop.

On a side note, let me just say that I love how everything is written for TOT. The style is just thoroughly spooky. I think the narration scares me more than the scenery or the drops.