Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Trip Report: Disneyland on July 17

Checked out Disneyland on the big day, and hoo-boy was that ever a mistake. There are rides and shows like every other amusement park, but where's the vaunted Disney magic? Disney's folly is more like it.

Where to begin? While even maestro Disney can't help the fact that it's so hot (today people were sinking into the asphalt and leaving behind their shoes!), there's just no excuse for the lack of drinking fountains. Um, hello? I can see the desire to sell more sodas, but jeez!

Lines were out of control - it was way too crowded. Making matters worse, one whole themed area (Fantasyland) just plain broke down completely, with no power to any of the rides. Not a good thing.

Nor is the constant feeling that "Uncle Walt" is reaching into my pocket. I mean, ride after ride wants coins - this gets old. I thought Disneyland was supposed to improve on the amusement park model!

Just be careful you don't touch any of the property, either. The thugs who pass for security will yell first and ask questions later. I heard someone from the press saying Disney didn't train those guys - they are some outside company - but like that makes any difference.

Still, for all that, there's definitely charm to some of the areas and the rides. There's a real effort paid to make it seem like its own little world, not just any old amusement park. In short, yeah, we'll probably be back. Let the trees grow in a little bit, see if they add any rides over time. It has promise, despite all the bad things happening on July 17. I've had so many long decades of solid entertainment from Disney, so I'm willing to give this another chance.

Verdict: a bad day, but don't let that stop you!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

Re: Trip Report: Disneyland on July 17

I heard Tomorrowland was a real mess. Balloons everywhere to disguise the uncompleted facades.

• MiceAge Columnist

^ Never fear, gentle MiceChat reader. You're safe and sound now, here in good 'ol 1955.

Happy anniversary Disneyland! How far you've come in fifty-five years.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Minion

I was there this morning and it was terrible! None of the staff knew what they were doing! I was on the Mark Twain Riverboat ride and the journey was miserable! Not only was there nothing to see besides tiny trees and some dirt hills, but the boat almost capsized and water went into my Sunday shoes!

Never going back!

• Banned User

+1

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Exactly why Dopey's Girl's parents are waiting a week to take the kids! (Let Mr. Disney get the kinks out.)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Nor is the constant feeling that "Uncle Walt" is reaching into my pocket. I mean, ride after ride wants coins - this gets old. I thought Disneyland was supposed to improve on the amusement park model
    Coins? What do you mean?

• A Malice in Wonderland...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Checked out Disneyland on the big day, and hoo-boy was that ever a mistake. There are rides and shows like every other amusement park, but where's the vaunted Disney magic? Disney's folly is more like it.

Still, for all that, there's definitely charm to some of the areas and the rides. There's a real effort paid to make it seem like its own little world, not just any old amusement park. In short, yeah, we'll probably be back. Let the trees grow in a little bit, see if they add any rides over time. It has promise, despite all the bad things happening on July 17. I've had so many long decades of solid entertainment from Disney, so I'm willing to give this another chance.

Verdict: a bad day, but don't let that stop you!
    You got to go to the private premier? Lucky!!! I have to wait 'till tomorrow to go see Walt's Folly.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• Disney Fanatic

I am so confused on this post. It sounds like you're talking about being in 1955, not 2010.

• Celebrate Today

2010, you say?... I don't see that happening for at least 55 more years.
    -Alex

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Enunciate View Post
    You got to go to the private premier? Lucky!!! I have to wait 'till tomorrow to go see Walt's Folly.
    My neighbor had a stack of tickets. I think maybe he made illegal copies, but they worked! I don't think they expected so many of us at the front gate this morning!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• Banned User

It was much easier to just sneak up the "berm" to get into the park.

• Artistic integrity

That Walt Disney said Disneyland was going to open July 17, huh? Well .. I went over there to buy a ticket to get inside .. and couldn't! So what did I do? I found a place to climb over the fence and get inside. Saw some people scalping tickets in one hidden corner, but I didn't want to pay too much for an amusement park. It's not like this is the worlds first amusement park, right? Can't be any better than the Long Beach Pike!

So, the only land that seemed remotely interesting for me was Tomorrowland.

Well ..... there was only 3 attractions open! There was this show like Cinerama .. but with the film screen surrounding you. I think they called it Circarama: Tour of the west.

Next door was something called "Space Station X-1". It was a satellite view of America from some 500 miles in outerspace. It was really nifty! I climbed aboard this circular station looking out ... and I just thought ... Gee, the things they can do these days! I bet they'll never be able to top that!

But when I exited and looked at the building on the other side .... all the doors were shut. I saw signs for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea walk through. I just saw the movie last year .. so that must be really nifty. And then over to the right of the entrance into the land .. was signs for Kaiser Hall of Aluminum Fame and Monsanto Hall of Chemistry.

They looked really exciting!! Better than the similar looking exhibits at the Pomona Fair grounds ... but were closed!

But then was this tall rocket .. and something really swanky called Rocket to the Moon. But the doors to that was closed too!

Where's that Walt Disney! I wanna give him my 2 cents!

Then there was this car ride in the northern part of Tomorrowland called Autopia. I'd like to ask Mr. Disney why is a car ride in Tomorrowland? Freeways aren't the future. They are here, NOW. Why, the Santa Ana Freeway from downtown Los Angeles to the town of Santa Ana just opened last year. And they say more are opening in the next decade.

There was another ride that was not working ... but there was no sign for it. Just these funny looking boats with fins on them. Just sitting in this big open lagoon.

So ... Tomorrowland is a big bust with just 3 rides.

I think this Disneyland thing won't be successful. It's just one giant waste of energy and water!

Walt Disney should just close it sooner than later .. and just stick to movies and cartoons!

And then this flop of a park should be turned into a picnic grounds type park for the town of Anaheim, complete with nice landscaping, and plenty of grass lawns!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-17-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: forgot to add - "waste of energy and water" line ;)

• Yeah.....

This thread makes my head hurt.

In a good way!

Very clever. Took me a minute. (But everything does these days) Loved it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast