• Splash Enthusiast

Old Pictures/Videos of Fantasyland Attractions?

I'm interested to see what the Fantasyland dark rides looked like when the park opened and how they've progressed into how we know them now. Does anyone have any pictures/know of any sites that have pictures or videos of the inside of these attractions from any era other than modern?

Thanks.

• Minion

Re: Old Pictures/Videos of Fantasyland Attractions?

Among the many great web sites depicting the history of Disneyland, Daveland - Art, Photography, and a history of Disneyland in photos stands out with its huge collection of photos. I'd start there and also look at his blog, Davelandblog . There are many other blogs that frequently post vintage photos of Disneyland, and one blog usually links to another one, and so on.

The film "40 Pounds of Trouble" with Tony Curtis and Suzanne Pleshette has extensive footage of Disneyland in the early 1960s. One of Al Lutz' articles featured still shots from the film. On one of the blogs last year, someone published footage that had been shot for the film of Disneyland but had not been edited for the movie. I can't find that right now, though. You can rent or buy "40 Pounds of Trouble" but it is a little hard to find and from what I can tell, Netflix doesn't have it. There are a few editing errors in the film, though, as they are shown entering one Fantasyland dark ride but the inside footage is from a different dark ride. Still, it's high-quality footage of Disneyland around 1961-1962.

As you know, Fantasyland underwent a cosmetic remodeling in 1982-1983 though little was changed in the actual attraction list. What were lost were Skull Rock, the Pirate Ship restaurant and the original Fantasyland Theater. The only new attraction was Pinocchio's Daring Journey. A few attractions were relocated: the Mad Tea Party was moved from the center of Fantasyland to next to Alice, Dumbo was moved eastward, and the carousel was moved slightly. The Alice attraction was changed significantly, including a new section at the very end (after coming down from the leaves outside) that had been previously used as storage for the vehicles. But otherwise it was mostly a cosmetic remodel of the exteriors from the medieval castle look to the old English village look. The drawbridge in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle has been raised and lowered only twice during the park's operation: once on opening day in 1955, and once on the re-opening of Fantasyland in 1983.

Specifically for the Alice attraction, which is my personal favorite of the Fantasyland attractions (and the only one I've ever been stuck on, in 1968) here is a blog page that illustrates the attraction, both before and after the early 1980s remodel and expansion of it. Think Disney: Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland

• Splash Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Among the many great web sites depicting the history of Disneyland, Daveland - Art, Photography, and a history of Disneyland in photos stands out with its huge collection of photos. I'd start there and also look at his blog, Davelandblog . There are many other blogs that frequently post vintage photos of Disneyland, and one blog usually links to another one, and so on.

The film "40 Pounds of Trouble" with Tony Curtis and Suzanne Pleshette has extensive footage of Disneyland in the early 1960s. One of Al Lutz' articles featured still shots from the film. On one of the blogs last year, someone published footage that had been shot for the film of Disneyland but had not been edited for the movie. I can't find that right now, though. You can rent or buy "40 Pounds of Trouble" but it is a little hard to find and from what I can tell, Netflix doesn't have it. There are a few editing errors in the film, though, as they are shown entering one Fantasyland dark ride but the inside footage is from a different dark ride. Still, it's high-quality footage of Disneyland around 1961-1962.

As you know, Fantasyland underwent a cosmetic remodeling in 1982-1983 though little was changed in the actual attraction list. What were lost were Skull Rock, the Pirate Ship restaurant and the original Fantasyland Theater. The only new attraction was Pinocchio's Daring Journey. A few attractions were relocated: the Mad Tea Party was moved from the center of Fantasyland to next to Alice, Dumbo was moved eastward, and the carousel was moved slightly. The Alice attraction was changed significantly, including a new section at the very end (after coming down from the leaves outside) that had been previously used as storage for the vehicles. But otherwise it was mostly a cosmetic remodel of the exteriors from the medieval castle look to the old English village look. The drawbridge in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle has been raised and lowered only twice during the park's operation: once on opening day in 1955, and once on the re-opening of Fantasyland in 1983.

Specifically for the Alice attraction, which is my personal favorite of the Fantasyland attractions (and the only one I've ever been stuck on, in 1968) here is a blog page that illustrates the attraction, both before and after the early 1980s remodel and expansion of it. Think Disney: Disneyland's Alice in Wonderland

Thanks a lot! I remember hearing or reading at one point that they shortened Snow White when they put in Pinocchio, this is untrue then, correct?

• Johnny and Me!

Here's a souvenir 8mm from 1980:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UzzLz-CbfE]YouTube - HD Fantasyland At Disneyland Rare super 8mm Sound film Hbvideos Disney[/ame]

• Minion

I don't know the answer regarding the shortening of Snow White to make room for Pinocchio, but someone on this forum undoubtedly knows the story on that. I remember that the ending of Snow White (or lack of ending) is something that is mentioned here from time to time.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I don't know the answer regarding the shortening of Snow White to make room for Pinocchio, but someone on this forum undoubtedly knows the story on that. I remember that the ending of Snow White (or lack of ending) is something that is mentioned here from time to time.
    The show buildings for Snow White, Peter Pan, and Mr Toad were expanded 25%. I think it was the preview special they made (I believe it starred Heather O'rourke) that stated that (or it could have been Tony Baxter).

This is just my observation, but I think Snow White's actual ending is the mural in the exit where you unload to the right of the vehicle.