Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: WDI Mock-Up Preview Of Luigi's Flying Tires...With Imagineers' Kids As Test Rider

Quote Originally Posted by PistonCupChampion View Post
    It's not the same thing at all. The ride at SC is just a different type of bumper cars. The Flying Tires (and the old Saucers) are not self-powered, but lifted by air.
    I haven't been to the boardwalk in a while...and suspected that their "bumper tubes" were not neumatically powered. That being the case, I agree that there is no comparison between the two rides...other than perhaps the space theming being somewhat in line with sineyland's former saucers.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Cool Yule

Re: WDI Mock-Up Preview Of Luigi's Flying Tires...With Imagineers' Kids As Test Rider

If those mock ups are representative of the final size of the tyres the attraction is going to take up a heck of a lot of space!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Better start taking my Dramamines.
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Goofy View Post
    This is awesome! The more I see of Carsland, the better I like it!
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAlice View Post
    Me too!! Is it 2012 yet???
    ^
    If all the guests are as enthusiastic as you three (bayouguy, Golden Goofy and DrAlice) the Phase 1 of the DCA makeover will be a resounding success. This would mean that Disney would be subsequentally moving on to Phase II...and a plentitude of sweet new attractions!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    If those mock ups are representative of the final size of the tyres the attraction is going to take up a heck of a lot of space!
    According to thhe WDI narrator, the play-floor will be eight times the area size of the mock-up in the video. Luigi's Flying Tires looks to be a visual/physical delight in terms of size and theming.

• Cool Yule

So how many ride vehicles? I'm guessing its not a large number - I think we can expect large queues.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    If all the guests are as enthusiastic as you three (bayouguy, Golden Goofy and DrAlice) the Phase 1 of the DCA makeover will be a resounding success. This would mean that Disney would be subsequentally moving on to Phase II...and a plentitude of sweet new attractions!
    Fingers crossed!!! And enthusiasm high!

All I can add is that I know 3 little boys that will be between 4 and 6 years old when Carsland opens, and they are already big McQueen fans. So, assuming there are lots of other kids just like them (and I think there are), it should be a great success.

-Dr.A

I thought the flying tires can only seat one person..

" I fight for the users"

• Mouse at work

I used to build hovercrafts all the time when I was in middle school and parts of high school. Luigi's Flying Tires are nothng but hovercrafts. Air has to be continuously flowing through the inside of the tires and it needs an outlet on the bottom of the ride vehicle. The air escapes little by little through the bottom of the tire and eventually forms a sort of barrier between the ground and the tire itself, making the tire lift up into the air. Now my hovercrafts would lift about 3-5 inches off the ground because mine were really light, but considering how heavy these ride vehicles appear to be, they aren't going to lift any more than around 1-2 inches. The only problem, however, is that it is really hard to maneuver with your body on a hovercraft, but it looks like WDI has got it down!
    "Ian, in life, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your dreams and goals of the past, present, and future and only then will you be successful!" - Walter Elias Disney

Quote Originally Posted by spike18 View Post
    I thought the flying tires can only seat one person
    Designs change; in this case most likely to bring the ride capacity up.

Quote Originally Posted by firebolt413 View Post
    my hovercrafts would lift about 3-5 inches off the ground because mine were really light, but considering how heavy these ride vehicles appear to be, they aren't going to lift any more than around 1-2 inches.
    If you've ever seen video of the old Flying Saucers, they could be pretty unstable. I'm sure that was one of the considerations in making these larger and heavier.

• Thinking about doughnuts

If you've ever seen video of the old Flying Saucers, they could be pretty unstable. I'm sure that was one of the considerations in making these larger and heavier.
    The original flying saucers were also extremely weight sensitive. If the saucer plus rider(s) was too light or too heavy then it was hard to make it go where you wanted. You had to step on a scale and you couldn't ride alone if you were below a certain weight limit. We had to gang siblings together to ride the thing because we were too small. Hopefully the new ones will be more controllable than the old ones. Making the riders a smaller percentage of the total weight might help in that department. The original flying saucers were still lots of fun despite the control problems.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    So how many ride vehicles? I'm guessing its not a large number - I think we can expect large queues.

According to the concept art overview of the ride (above), I would guestimate around thirty to forty tire vehicles. Looks to me like ride capacity will be far better than the saucer ride was. I don't think that Disney will allow ride capacity to be a big issue again.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by DrAlice View Post
    Fingers crossed!!! And enthusiasm high!

All I can add is that I know 3 little boys that will be between 4 and 6 years old when Carsland opens, and they are already big McQueen fans. So, assuming there are lots of other kids just like them (and I think there are), it should be a great success.

-Dr.A
    Those three little boys can look forward to having the time of their lives at each of the cars Land attractions! Luigi's Flying tires will be a kids dream...us adult kids will be just as big eyed and thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by spike18 View Post
    I thought the flying tires can only seat one person..
    Judging by the Mock-Up vehicles, the tires will each seat at least two riders.

I used to build hovercrafts all the time when I was in middle school and parts of high school. Luigi's Flying Tires are nothng but hovercrafts. Air has to be continuously flowing through the inside of the tires and it needs an outlet on the bottom of the ride vehicle. The air escapes little by little through the bottom of the tire and eventually forms a sort of barrier between the ground and the tire itself, making the tire lift up into the air. Now my hovercrafts would lift about 3-5 inches off the ground because mine were really light, but considering how heavy these ride vehicles appear to be, they aren't going to lift any more than around 1-2 inches. The only problem, however, is that it is really hard to maneuver with your body on a hovercraft, but it looks like WDI has got it down!
    When it comes to making innovative forward strides in ride design, WDI really does have it down! They've figured out how to balance a heavier vehicle with maneuverability.

Designs change; in this case most likely to bring the ride capacity up.
    Exactly.

Yes. The vehicle mass is just as important as the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    The original flying saucers were also extremely weight sensitive. If the saucer plus rider(s) was too light or too heavy then it was hard to make it go where you wanted. You had to step on a scale and you couldn't ride alone if you were below a certain weight limit. We had to gang siblings together to ride the thing because we were too small. Hopefully the new ones will be more controllable than the old ones. Making the riders a smaller percentage of the total weight might help in that department. The original flying saucers were still lots of fun despite the control problems.
    The flying tires should be even more fun, the Imagineers are smart to have tested the vehicles out with different adult and kid weight differences.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I used to build hovercrafts all the time when I was in middle school and parts of high school. Luigi's Flying Tires are nothng but hovercrafts. Air has to be continuously flowing through the inside of the tires and it needs an outlet on the bottom of the ride vehicle. The air escapes little by little through the bottom of the tire and eventually forms a sort of barrier between the ground and the tire itself, making the tire lift up into the air.
    I am not sure if these are the same as hovercrafts....hovercrafts get their air from an on-board engine....and like you say the air needs an outlet on the bottom of the ride vehicle.

But the Flying saucers and I assume the flying tires too got their air from the floor(think of an air jet hockey table) and the air outlet was not on the bottom but on the top of the vehicle(since the air is going in the opposite direction of an actual hovercraft).

At least that's how I understand it.....
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Won't two riders have to collaborate to make the ride go where you want it to? I suppose you would exchange such words as "Lean forward, lean right"
    Last edited by stevo505; 07-21-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast