Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: WDI Mock-Up Preview Of Luigi's Flying Tires...With Imagineers' Kids As Test Rider

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    I am not sure if these are the same as hovercrafts....hovercrafts get their air from an on-board engine....
    But the Flying saucers and I assume the flying tires too got their air from the floor
    They are both hovercraft because they ride on a cushion of air; the air is trapped beneath the vehicle in the same fashion, with a skirt around the perimeter. How the air is delivered is immaterial.

• Banned User

Re: WDI Mock-Up Preview Of Luigi's Flying Tires...With Imagineers' Kids As Test Rider

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    From the video:
    "And move your body to the left, to the right to change direction..."
    So yes, no handheld joysticks or anything. Just your body
    Thanks for the video!
    Although the Disneyland saucers had "joysticks", they didn't do a thing other than look cool.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PistonCupChampion View Post
    They are both hovercraft because they ride on a cushion of air; the air is trapped beneath the vehicle in the same fashion, with a skirt around the perimeter. How the air is delivered is immaterial.
    Well, the dictionary says that a hovercraft is a vehicle that travels across both land and water on a cushion of air.

Not that it really matters, I suppose
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I haven't been to the boardwalk in a while...and suspected that their "bumper tubes" were not neumatically powered. That being the case, I agree that there is no comparison between the two rides...other than perhaps the space theming being somewhat in line with sineyland's former saucers.
    There is indeed a comparison. While NOT in the technology, the ride effect IS very comparable. The SC “bumper saucers” are VERY reminiscent of Disneyland’s old Flying Saucers in the way they maneuver and handle. While the controls and the power source may different, the overall feeling is pretty much the same.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    YouTube - Preview of Luigi's Flying Tires in Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure

Here is a mock-up of the ride that features Imagineers and their kids as test riders. It's fun watching them glide on air, and spin left and right while giving eachother nice healthy bumps.
    It doesn’t look like they spin left. The big vents that apparently cause the spinning don’t appear to be controllable by the guests. And, even with two people on them (can’t imagine how they would handle with just one person), they don’t appear to be able to generate enough significant movement to provide any worthwhile bumps.

Of course they appear to be total prototypes and may not handle at all like they do in the video. However, just the size alone makes it appear that they are difficult to maneuver. Not at all like the old Flying Saucers were.

• Senior Minion

I'd be surprised if in the final builds, those directional air vents aren't steerable. As a kid who loved Tomorrowland's Flying Saucers, that's what I always wanted: directional thrusters!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    There is indeed a comparison. While NOT in the technology, the ride effect IS very comparable. The SC “bumper saucers” are VERY reminiscent of Disneyland’s old Flying Saucers in the way they maneuver and handle. While the controls and the power source may different, the overall feeling is pretty much the same.
    I still don't think they are that similar. Yes, they both have round vehicles, and you can bump into other vehicles, but they don't handle the same way at all. Now, I haven't ridden the Santa Cruz Space Race, but it's pretty obvious those are wheeled cars, and you control them by moving joysticks which either spin the car, or propel it. I have ridden the old Disneyland Flying Saucers though, and with those, the saucer was supported by air and the only way you controlled those was through body english.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Point taken. I agree. The return of the feel of the bumper saucer maneuverability will be a most welcome element.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

I am not sure if these are the same as hovercrafts....hovercrafts get their air from an on-board engine....and like you say the air needs an outlet on the bottom of the ride vehicle.

But the Flying saucers and I assume the flying tires too got their air from the floor(think of an air jet hockey table) and the air outlet was not on the bottom but on the top of the vehicle(since the air is going in the opposite direction of an actual hovercraft).

At least that's how I understand it.....
    The tires are not self-powered hovercraft in the traditional sense. The do hover on an air cusion. I would prefer to call the tires hovering ride vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Won't two riders have to collaborate to make the ride go where you want it to? I suppose you guy exchange such words as "Lean forward, lean right"
    Deciding how to que eachother will be half the fun of maneyvering the tires.

Fair enough. Only as I have stated above, I think it is more mechanically appropriate to refer to the arena dependent tires as "hovering ride vehicles".

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJet View Post
    Although the Disneyland saucers had "joysticks", they didn't do a thing other than look cool.
    Sometimes I don't do anything other than look cool.

Well, the dictionary says that a hovercraft is a vehicle that travels across both land and water on a cushion of air.

Not that it really matters, I suppose
    It would be totally cool to have a hovercraft ride that travels across water!

It doesn’t look like they spin left. The big vents that apparently cause the spinning don’t appear to be controllable by the guests. And, even with two people on them (can’t imagine how they would handle with just one person), they don’t appear to be able to generate enough significant movement to provide any worthwhile bumps.

Of course they appear to be total prototypes and may not handle at all like they do in the video. However, just the size alone makes it appear that they are difficult to maneuver. Not at all like the old Flying Saucers were.
    The ride's description by the narrater leads me to believe that the tires spin in both directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I'd be surprised if in the final builds, those directional air vents aren't steerable. As a kid who loved Tomorrowland's Flying Saucers, that's what I always wanted: directional thrusters!
    I've never known anyone that had the good fortune of having rode the saucers. It's so cool that you will soon have the opportunity to ride the tires, too. Dirctional thrusters would be a straight up blast!

I still don't think they are that similar. Yes, they both have round vehicles, and you can bump into other vehicles, but they don't handle the same way at all. Now, I haven't ridden the Santa Cruz Space Race, but it's pretty obvious those are wheeled cars, and you control them by moving joysticks which either spin the car, or propel it. I have ridden the old Disneyland Flying Saucers though, and with those, the saucer was supported by air and the only way you controlled those was through body english.
    Well, this is fun to contemplate as we wait to find out once the ride opens.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123