Question TL Space Place Restaurant

Does anyone have old pics of the Space Place. Tell me any description of the place and how the area compares to Redd Rocket. Is the kitchen still there? If so why didn't they use this and decided to make a new restaurant,Redd Rocket. Could they have use Redd Rocket as another attraction?

• Johnny and Me!

Re: TL Space Place Restaurant

You can find some pics here, and a picture of the sign in Richard Kraft's home here.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Tell me any description of the place and how the area compares to Redd Rocket.
    Where Redd Rocket's is more pizza - Italian fare ... Space Place was pretty much identical in the food offerings at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Chicken Sandwiches, french fries ... that sort.

Is the kitchen still there?
    I believe it's still there .. though .. it would be nice for a CM who's a poster here who can confirm whether it's still in place .. or not.

If so why didn't they use this and decided to make a new restaurant,Redd Rocket. Could they have use Redd Rocket as another attraction?
    By the time TL:98 came to the drawing tables ... It was all about "Downsizing". (As we all know how well indeed that came out - don't we?!!) Gone for good was the Alien Encounter concept ... and what can you do with the Mission To Mars building? Here's a cheap idea that made Pressler happy - turn the attraction facility over to Foods Department .. and turn the sight into a restaurant.

Re-route the entrance into Space Mountain to make way for more "Downsized" fun - Cosmic Waves .. and simply boarder up the counters where people ordered their food. And for years (not sure about now) .. but the kitchen facilities were left abandoned.

I'll say a bit more about Redd Rockets. When it was originally conceptualized ... it was full of old Tomorrowland attraction pieces. The two capsules were designed to hold dining tables. Those dining tables .. were Peoplemover vehicles in the same seating diagram .. with your dining table center. But as those concepts moved further along from 1995 into 1996 .... Redd Rockets was downsized even further! Not sure if this is true .. but the attraction posters along the walls inside .. are Tony's own collectibles.

Another strange piece to this puzzle is .... an old OC Register article I have somewhere .. dated either 1996, or later .. shows a map of the coming changes. Written over the Mission to Mars building - Future Attraction.

As to your question .. Could it be used for another attraction? I certainly hope so. For this rumored renovation coming in a few years.

But this time around .. the building has to come completely down! For a while now ... new Disneyland attractions have been built utilizing old attraction buildings. It was done for Buzz, it was done for Pooh, and of course Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. The late 80s concept to utilize the Mission To Mars layout .. to the Bin-aural Sound Show .. other known as Alien Encounter have all been one recylced building idea .. after another.

Redd Rockets Pizza Port/Mission To Mars structure is in an odd place, being nudged between 3 other structures that make it impossible to expand the building size.

.. And an odd size. Making it hard for imagineers to plan something decent in it's place.

The big question is ... when you read Al's column where that image comes from - MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney... .............. Is it possible they'll do more than just convert Innoventions into Tron .. but demolish everything south of Innoventions right up to Space Mountain .. and redo all that area as well?

Two of Al's columns hint at it .... But I just wonder though .. How do they work around the DLRR/Grand Canyon diorama? Among other backstage things.

But anyway .... of all the mistakes TL:98 created .... I do hope they address returning the sight of Mission To Mars back to an attraction facility.

Give Foods some corner in the land. Not a prominent area meant for attractions!

The Space Place kitchen area is still in place. Last I heard, Outdoor Vending was using it as their balloon room. I don't see that being turned into a restaurant again, though.

It's too bad they turned the old Mission To Mars attraction into a restaurant. I think the Starcade would've made a better food location. Pressler really screwed up the land big time.

• Johnny and Me!

How about this:

By moving the service road (red) to the other side of R2P2, then the two areas can be connected and used for a slightly larger, 2-story attraction (blue). The Space Place (green) will then reopen, and Space Mountain will get its speedramps back. The new attraction could even overlap the service road on the 2nd story, if need be.

^ This is what I was thinking too. With the rumor Innovention getting replace, they could use some of R2P2 for the new attractions and the back stage area. Since the kitchen is still there they could reopen Space Place.

Another odd place is the roof of the Magic Eye Theater. I heard that there is a limited amount of weight that it can hold. So nothing really can go there. When it was Space Place was it block off, was there tables there,?

Another question, the R2P2 eating area near EO and Space Mt. FP , was that there with Space Place?

• Johnny and Me!

Another odd place is the roof of the Magic Eye Theater. I heard that there is a limited amount of weight that it can hold. So nothing really can go there. When it was Space Place was it block off, was there tables there,?
    When Space Place opened in 1977, it was a hole above the Space Stage. You can see brackets for the old canopy (see it here under v.77) in the following pic:

There were never any chairs there.

Another question, the R2P2 eating area near EO and Space Mt. FP , was that there with Space Place?
    Yes. The sliding doors into R2P2 weren't there, though.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

They really need to clean up the Space Mt. Line. It going onto the roof and around like it does is so random.