Wonderful World Of Color: Director's Cut?

Hello my Friends! I just saw World of Color the other night for the first time! It was a great experience. We had preffered seating, I mean standing! We were up at the First rail in the prefered section, right behind the wet section. It was great fun and a incredible view of the show.

I loved the show although I do very much wish I could see the original version as the director of the show had created and envisioned it. I felt that the "original" elements of the show were best. I really did not care for the whole Montage of all the modern Disney movies as much. Especially the POTC segments. Just my opinion but I thought that the first 5 minutes of the show were perhaps my favorite, along with the Zurg, Walley and Mermaid scenes, but truthfully, I prefer the original non movie segments best.

Is there a directors cut out there that someone may have filmed before the release of the show? I remember hearing about how Disney CEO Bob Iger cut lots of the show because he felt that it was too heavy on Nostalgia and the "Kids of Today" could not relate. I really want to see that version. Do you or does anyone have any idea on what was cut and how the show would play had it not been cut?

Thanks so much for all your information!

• Banned User

Re: Wonderful World Of Color: Director's Cut?

I agree with you as well. I would love to see the version originally planned. As of now, the show is nice but not my favorite. Too much pixar and not enough Disney.

• Banned User

Look up the testing videos that were taken from the Grand this past April and you will be able to get an idea of what was edited. The show morphed quite a few times from the time they began testing to the April videos on YouTube and to the final June premiere. For instance, there are a lot of testing videos taken early on from the Paradise Pier Hotel that show a different sequence of segments (such as the Pocahontas/ Springsprite being the first scene after the opening theme) and traces of the Little Squirt character. In the April videos you see a closer resemblence to how the show ended up in June, however, there were still a few changes made to "move" the show along a little faster such as the Mermaid intro, Under The Sea segment, and Villians segment that were not the same from April to June's premiere.

A video from April 2010-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlq3oWPdXPo"]YouTube- World of Color Full Run-Through - Part 1[/ame]

A video from early April 2010:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SodIlDW-FsQ&feature=related"]YouTube- World Of Color full show testing part 1 of 3[/ame]

The video that showcases the opening lead-into the Springsprite scene instead of Mermaid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoUPQKDeG8c"]YouTube- World of Color Testing[/ame]

• Banned User

In the first two videos you can also hear some of the custom tracks in the Mermaid/ Under The Sea/ Hercules/ Aladdin/ Villains/ So Close segments that were swapped out with the actual movie tracks that were combined with the original track. This was possibly done after the suggestion had come to make the show more "young" and "faster." The Villians scene also has a longer lead into the Chernabog/ Hell Fire sequence (seen in April's video) and an absence of the Firebird Suite (seen in June). In my opinion, I would have liked to hear more of the original track that was recorded in London, but certain scenes like the Chernabog move much faster than the slow drawn-out sequence seen in April. Also, the Hercules segment looked exactly the same as the end of the Transformation scene so it was probably better off being cut as to not see the same tricks done over and over by the same fountains. Overall I think the changes were made for the better and it helped condense the show so that some of the scenes weren't so slow (such as the original Aladdin and Mermaid sequence) and repetitive.

• Banned User

Iger sounds like an idiot every time I hear about him, but I do love the current version. The "kids of today" have grown up watching DVDs of yesterdays movies so his logic just doesn't hold up. My 5 y/o niece's favorite movie is Mermaid, a film that came out when I was her age. I love the current version, and even don't mind the Pixar, which I was surprised by since I don't' like most of those movies, and I don't mind his changes, but his reasoning for them...idiotic.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

We will hopefully see the directors cut material in little refreshes to the show that were promised throughout its (hopefully long and sucessful) run.

• Disney + Menken fan

In the first vid you can also see PAPER animated Sebastian^^

~Dex
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

• Minion

One of the Roadshow promos actually shows the original end of the Herc bit with Genie lifting the screen there.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

thanks for the great info!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I agree with you as well. I would love to see the version originally planned. As of now, the show is nice but not my favorite. Too much pixar and not enough Disney.
    Disney owns Pixar - therefore Pixar and Disney are now one and the same