Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• poohbear is dope

what was the People Mover like?

I was born to late to go on the People Mover can any one tell me what is was like

• Yeah.....

Re: what was the People Mover like?

Well for starters, here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oggal7RY2ks]YouTube - People Mover (Disneyland)[/ame]

The people mover was one of the few attractions I could go on without any hesitation (I was a huge chicken growing up!). One of the things I remember most was slowly transitioning from the bright outdoors into the pitch blackness of the tomorrowland buildings. I remember I would always hold my hands in front of my face and keep them there until I literally couldn't see them anymore. It was little things like this that really added to all the magic of the park back then!

• Cunning infiltrator

The PeopleMover is Tomorrowland's own transport system around the area. It showcases scenes and theme from the future and the sci-fi. It starts from the satellite radar device that you go to get in line and board the vehicles on top. You ride these vehicles called PeopleMovers, they are colored transports cars that goes on a track around the World of Tomorrow. As you continue with the PeopleMover, you see scenes from Tron, Space Mountain, Star Tours, and part of the Submarine Voyage Lagoon. Which are behind the buildings of Star Tours and the now extinct Mission to Mars building which turned into Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. The attraction is both indoor and outdoor. It's very relaxing and good for a break after walking around the summer heat.

It's like Disneyland Railroad but without the train and it moves slower.

The attraction opened in July 2, 1967 and it closed on August 21, 1995, I manage to rode the PeopleMover before it closed in 1994 when I was only 4 years old. It bring back lots of memories.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Animation Domination

People Mover moves like the trains that takes you to Downtown Disney and back to the Mickey and Friends Parking Stucture. In other words People Mover moves really slow.
    "You are watching FOX"

• poohbear is dope

sweet sounds fun

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    The PeopleMover is Tomorrowland's own transport system around the area. It showcases scenes and theme from the future and the sci-fi. It starts from the satellite radar device that you go to get in line and board the vehicles on top. You ride these vehicles called PeopleMovers, they are colored transports cars that goes on a track around the World of Tomorrow. As you continue with the PeopleMover, you see scenes from Tron, Space Mountain, Star Tours, and part of the Submarine Voyage Lagoon. Which are behind the buildings of Star Tours and the now extinct Mission to Mars building which turned into Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. The attraction is both indoor and outdoor. It's very relaxing and good for a break after walking around the summer heat.

The attraction opened in July 2, 1967 and it closed on August 21, 1995, I manage to rode the PeopleMover before it closed in 1994 when I was only 4 years old. It bring back lots of memories.
    Buzz is in the former Circle Vision location, not Mission to Mars'. Mission to Mars was where RRPP is now.

If it's any help, you could go to YouTube and watch on-ride videos. As far as my own experience, when I was young and it was new (I was six in the summer of 1968), it was truly amazing. The rotating loading platform, automatic doors, and tilting canopy were so space-age...it truly was a vision of the future. In its last years, the ride wasn't nearly as smooth, and the gee-whiz factor was long gone, but it was still a great ride. The PM was a nice, long and relaxing tour of TL and through the trees above the Autopia.

• Yeah.....

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post

Actually, Mission to Mars was located where Pizza Port is now. And BLAB is now residing in the former Circlevision/Rocket Rods queue building.

Edit: D'oh! Too slow!

Well, it moved people.
    Next DL trip is in 2 WEEKS!!!!!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

A few things you may not know about the Peoplemover:

Sponsered by Ford for a few years then Good Year Tire......Ford quit sponsering it bc they feared PM's might one day replace cars.

At any given moment in time up to a 900 people could be riding the PM....that's 900 guests not in line somewhere else, not crowding the sidewalks, etc.

The Peoplemover, not only went under the SkyWay, but at one point it actually went over the SkyWay.

It was a -D- ticket attraction.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I loved this ride..........my favorite was just being the 'moving' walkway.......when they got rid of 'America Sings', they put the Tron in there, and that was cool! They need to bring that back!

• Koubu Pilot

It was a relaxing ride that allowed you to preview Tomorrowland as well as giving you a glimpse of small world's facade. The track winds its way through the buildings as well as the Autopia area.

If you stand in the Autopia queue, you will hear People Mover music! The People Mover's music consisted of many different tracks composed by Buddy Baker.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    If you stand in the Autopia queue, you will hear People Mover music! The People Mover's music consisted of many different tracks composed by Buddy Baker.
    I really missed the slow ride around TL with that cheesy music that sounded like a soundtrack from a 3M promotional film.

My father hasn't been to the park since before it closed down. It was always his favorite ride to go on. We are taking him this September and I know he is just gonna stare at the empty track shaking his head.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Minion

It was a great way to relax and people-watch, and get a glimpse of most of the attractions in Tomorrowland. A little-mentioned fact is that the vehicles had no propulsion system of their own - they were propelled along the track by rotating rubber tires embedded in the track every 9 feet. Sort of like Hot Wheels cars that go through that rotating "supercharger" thing.

After the trip down the long straight part through the center of Tomorrowland, they turned left and went through the lobby/queue part of Adventure thru Inner Space, and you got a look at the Mighty Microscope, the people in the queue and the Omnimover vehicles for that. There was on-board narration that mentioned briefly that (and each attraction or feature you passed by). Then you got a look down into the Character Shop. Then there was a part with nothing, though after Space Mountain opened you had a window into the actual ride interior of Space Mountain, though it was so dark you really couldn't make out anything.

After that you went into the upper floor of the Carousel of Progress and saw briefly the impressive Progress City model which was the last scene of the C of P. After C of P was replaced by America Sings, which did not use the upstairs part of the building, I think there were a few years that the PeopleMover passed through without you seeing anything. In later years they built the SuperSpeed tunnel, which as I understand first showed racing scenes, but when Tron came out they changed it to abstract graphics based on Tron or even taken from Tron in some way. They were large, moving geometric designs that were projected on huge screens on both sides that filled up the room from floor to ceiling. It did give the impression of moving through a giant design. I loved that part.

After that the PeopleMover went outside and increased in elevation above the ground, and took a brief tour of the area of Tomorrowland where the subs, Autopia and Monorail all intertwine. You would see people driving on the Autopia below you. It ran right next to the Monorail station and you might pass a Monorail train sitting at the station and you could wave to the people on it.

Then it went into the building that now houses Buzz Lightyear, though at that time it was the Circle-Vision 360 theater that showed the America the Beautiful film. You didn't see the inside of the theater but you did see into the waiting room for it and the crowd of people waiting on the square seats for the next show. Then it came out of the building, went back on the straightaway part to the loading platform, passing other PeopleMover vehicles going the other way who were just starting their ride, and then you got off on the same rotating platform you used to get on it.

The on-board audio was a mixture of elevator music and narration of what you were seeing at each point in the trip. I think the trip lasted about 16 minutes and there was only one station, you got on and off at the single rotating station (where the Observatron is now). The Rocket Jets (similar to Astro Orbiter) were above the PeopleMover station. In the evening it was especially enjoyable to ride the PeopleMover as it was relaxing, Tomorrowland had a shiny, exciting glamour at night, and the outdoor part let you cool off in the evening breezes. My overall memory of it was a place you just kicked back and relaxed and just looked at the park. It's a shame they ever stopped it at all.

• Hooterville, USA

If the park was crowded, you could count on the PM to be able to get on quickly.

As a kid, the PM was just another ride. As an adult, the PM was a relaxing break from running at DL.

Either way, it needs to come back.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast