Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• is NOT Lea Salonga

Re: A Guide to Braving the Crowds for World of Color

I've been mentioning on my trip reports that I've had a tough time trying to score fastpasses for World of Color. I'll go with the picnic method.

Escapade
    Disneyland Resort trip reports

Quote Originally Posted by terraguy View Post
    Got a quick question about wait times at the beginning of the day. Does anyone know what time one should start waiting in the morning (before the park opens) in order to snag a ticket to the 9 PM showing? I realize that it may have been 2 hours when the show first started, but has that shortened any?
    Recently with more pre-purchased picnic and Reserved Dinner meals, and the current larger summer crowds, the first show is getting distributed earlier.

Rough Fastpass distribution times at GRR:
    Update: 08/08/10

1st show (9:00pm)
    9:00 - 9:45 = Blue
    9:45 - 10:05 = Yellow
    10:05 - 10:30 = Red

2nd Show (10:15pm)
    10:30 in the same order:

3rd Show (11:15pm)
    12:15 -
    Blue (Now includes Preferred), Yellow, Red

Picnic Box:
    1st Show Purchased before that day: Blue followed by Yellow
    2nd Show Purchased the same day : Blue followed by Yellow

TIME to Line up:

If you are a hotel guest and get into DCA between 9:00 and 9:30 you will get 1st show Blue.

If you line up at 9:00-9:10 for the 9:30 rope drop and run or walk quickly to the GRR WOC Fastpass you will be in line 10-20 minutes and get 1st show Blue.

If you line up at 9:10 to 9:20 and run or walk quickly to the GRR WOC Fastpass you will be in line 20-25 minutes and will probably get 1st Show Yellow. If you wait until 9:30 to 9:45 to enter the Fastpass line will be up to 40 minutes and you should still get 1st show Red at about 10:30.

After 10:00 to about 10:30 you the lines are 35-40 minutes long and you most likely get 2nd show Fastpass.

After about 12:30 the lines get shorter down to about less than 5 minutes by 1:30. The 3rd Show Fastpasses have been "sold out" at 3:30 to 4:00pm or later.
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 08-11-2010 at 03:46 AM.

• Out Of State AP Holder

Quote Originally Posted by terraguy View Post
    Got a quick question about wait times at the beginning of the day. Does anyone know what time one should start waiting in the morning (before the park opens) in order to snag a ticket to the 9 PM showing? I realize that it may have been 2 hours when the show first started, but has that shortened any?
    I saw it for the first time today (and it was amazing) and I started waiting at the gate around 8:30 AM. They let people into the park at 9:30 then you get walked to the distribution area. I must have been one of the first 100 people in line so I easily got a blue section pass.

Wow, thanks for the reply and all that detailed information guys! Looks like I should aim to be there around 8:45-9 AM or so.

Ok, I'm confused again.

If I have the Wine Country Trattoria PREFERRED DINING pass for 9pm show, when and where should I line up? Before it sounded like I could walk in about 8pm and it would be fine, but now its sounding like 7:30?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    After about 12:30 the lines get shorter down to about less than 5 minutes by 1:30. The 3rd Show Fastpasses have been "sold out" at 3:30 to 4:00pm or later.
    So if I show up at 12:30, is there a good chance I will get Blue or Yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    So if I show up at 12:30, is there a good chance I will get Blue or Yellow?
    1:00pm today was no line and 3rd show Blue.
    12:30 Could still be 2nd show RED....
    Just Ask before having scanned.

4:40 3rd show was still available, RED.

At the same time (1:00) the line for GRR was huge..
    Even the GRR Fastpass had a 10 minute line !!
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 08-11-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    4:40 3rd show was still available, RED.
    That's right! A couple of weeks ago there were still 3rd show RED FPs available at 4:55pm. The CM said that he had about 50 left.

HTH

• Not-So-New Member

Just thought I should mention that my group was able to get FPs for the 11:15 show in yellow at around 1-2ish on Monday. Probably waited a whole 2 minutes to get them. Heh.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Ok, I'm confused again.

If I have the Wine Country Trattoria PREFERRED DINING pass for 9pm show, when and where should I line up? Before it sounded like I could walk in about 8pm and it would be fine, but now its sounding like 7:30?
    Preferred Dining is in the center so you are going to get a good spot especially if you go to one of the tiers. They are asked to come back at 8 but are aloud into the viewing area with everyone else at 745

This is a terrific thread! Thanks!

You mentioned that you’ll be seeing WOC again at the end of August. Here are some comments and questions that might be helpful.

”If you pre-order your picnic online, then you may pick up your meals any time between 2:00pm and 8:00pm on your scheduled day.”

I think the pre-ordered picnic meals can be picked up as early as 11:30am.

”When you reach the Fastpass machines, that one member of your party will hand all of your tickets to the Cast Member that you are directed to and they will hand you your Fastpasses to the next available performance of World of Color! It is important to know that your entire party must be present at the time you get World of Color Fastpasses. If you are not together, your party may be put in separate viewing areas or receive Fastpasses to different show times.”

The members of your party need to have entered DL or DCA, in order to activate their tickets, but the entire party does not have to be present. (Saying that “your entire party must be present” is Disney’s way of saying that all of the tickets must be activated.)

”Guests at any of the three Disneyland Resorts Hotels (Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier Hotel, and The Grand Californian) are allowed to enter DCA through this entrance one hour before California Adventure opens (this is a half hour before regular guests are allowed in). At this time, they may obtain World of Color Fastpasses. It is important to know that your entire party must be present at the time you get World of Color Fastpasses. If you are not together, your party may be put in separate viewing areas or receive Fastpasses to different show times.

Same as above.

”You should keep in mind that the mist from the fountains tends to blow towards the audience so the boardwalk and first tier tend to get drenched. If this is a concern to you, choose the second or third tier.”

You can bring a poncho, or you can buy a poncho for $6.50 in the WOC viewing area.

Most Paradise Pier rides and attraction will close their lines approximately an hour and a half ...

These times seems to be fluid. I’ve seen guests getting in the standby line at Calif. Screamin’ one hour before the 9:00pm WOC.

”The only location to obtain free World of Color Fastpasses is the Fastpass distribution area for the Grizzly River Run. This location distributes World of Color Fastpasses until they run out. A line will begin to form in the esplanade between California Adventure and Disneyland about an hour-and-a-half to two hours before California Adventure opens.”

Are guests still lining up at 8:00am to get WOC FPs?

”In the morning, Grizzly River Run will not offer Fastpasses because its machines are being used to distribute World of Color Fastpasses. At times when GRR and WoC fastpasses are distributed simulatneously...”

"simultaneously"

"Recommended Viewing Areas First, I must emphasize that there are better and worse places in every viewing area. Some views from R4 are better than D1. It all just depends on your location withing the zone."
    "within"

”Blue is actually my least favorite even though many say Blue is the best location. There are a few very nice views from Blue but you have to arrive ridiculously early in order to claim those locations.”

In your opinion, which locations in Blue have very nice views?

”I want to make this as perfect as possible and your help will be greatly appreciated!”

Hope this helps.

I'll go back through posts to thank the exact person, but a bit tired now, just got home from 2 days at park (the sun, I'm used to off season. OMG... The sun! SKIN BURN EVEN WITH SUN SCREEN!).

Whoever explained the preferred dining section, THANKS!!! You were so right. We rolled in about 8pm and had no problem (Saturday though, not sure of AP blocked made difference) and the front was packed, but right in the back, right in front of VIP section was wide open on the rails. We got a great spot, great view, no probs. Even dealt with angry women at front of WOC line and nashing of the teeth, but she was not even in our section.

Trying to get there, there were people with blue passes cursing at us "Ive been in line WAAAYYY LONGER than these people" but they were not even going to the same section.

If you only have you and Wife or SO, just splurge on dining package and stand in front of VIP section. So worth it. No angst, no "fisticuffs" just mellow and go get a drink while you wait. Fun time had by all. (most)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

To: Crazycoasterider

Thank you SO MUCH for the tip about moving into the preferred dining section during the 11:15 show in Blue. I would have been way down in front if not for your advice.

Here's how it went down:

Me: Hi. Hey....is this section open up here?

CM: Ummm....no ...it's preferred dining.

Me: Oh. IS there still preferred dining at 11:15?

CM: Um....no.

Me: So...if we are blue, can we go into this section?

CM: Um.....sure!

I zipped up to the third row in what I felt was close to the center of the show and took over 1000 shots.

And might I just say.....this is an ENTIRELY different show when you watch it further back. I've only seen this show one other time from Paradise Park and that was in the very front of the boardwalk in red...as close as you can get to center. And from there, I missed about 90 percent of this show. I really felt as though I was watching it for the first time tonight.

What an amazing show!

• =)

Yeah, I think the show is actually better from farther away. That's why I like the back areas of blue, and the part up on the bridge. You really get to take in the whole scope of the show, rather than just focusing on what's right in front of you and occasionally craning your neck to look up and side to side. And of course, the projections look clearer from further away, just like a blurry photo looks less blurry if you shrink it.

I like the satellite photo! It really helps out running through the crowds.

http://www.disney.parkeleven.com/ - Disneyland Resort Photos!
    http://www.hiddenmickeys.parkeleven.com - Hidden Mickeys!

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast