Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Question star tours 2 ride system

So I have been reading up on the new star tours update and keep seeing that it will have the same ride system just an updated story. So my question is, Am I the only one that thinks if they keep the same motion simulator ride system that has been used since 1987 that the update will be a failure! I for one am truely excited for Star tours 2 but part of my excitement is the hope for a truely new ride based on great characters (Vader please) not just a new film for the same old ride! So am I the only one thinking this?

• I'm not really here

Re: star tours 2 ride system

The ride system was never the problem for the ride. Plus, the ride system from the original is still used in flight simulators the world over. The newest, most state of the art flight simulators used to train airline pilots still use the same 3-point base mount system that Star Tours does. It's one of those "why re-invent the wheel" scenarios.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

I understand that the ride system is used all over and in fligt simulators however in this particular ride I feel the screen is way too small with the idea of looking through the windshield of the cruiser. I am not opposed to motion simulator just a different one then is already there! maybe a tour ship that has a huge windshield that will let me feel really in the action!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    I understand that the ride system is used all over and in fligt simulators however in this particular ride I feel the screen is way too small with the idea of looking through the windshield of the cruiser. I am not opposed to motion simulator just a different one then is already there! maybe a tour ship that has a huge windshield that will let me feel really in the action!
    So it's not the ride system you have issue with but the ride vehicle itself right?

The motion simulator is the piece underneath the ride vehicle that provides the motion. The bit you sit in is just the vehicle atop the motion base.

I too would love to see a much bigger screen used. However, this would require quite a lot of work. It would require building entirely new vehicles, re-aligning the motion bases. It would require rebuilding the access bridges as they would be to long for a wider vehicle. Too much more wide and you would need to rebuild the vehicle bays even to accommodate the motion of the wider vehicles.

It would be awesome, but I don't think it will happen this round of work.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Gold Prospector

I think there is room for a bigger screen. If you really look at it there was a bunch of stuff in front of the screen. I'm pretty sure they can make the screen bigger and closer to the guests. It is built like an aircraft so there are limitless possibilities to what they can do. But knowing WDI and their "Budgets" we will get a new paint scheme and a digital 3D movie. I'm hoping for the best here but sadly my hopes and dreams cost too much
    Howdy folks, please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the train and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses cause this here's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    So it's not the ride system you have issue with but the ride vehicle itself right?

The motion simulator is the piece underneath the ride vehicle that provides the motion. The bit you sit in is just the vehicle atop the motion base.

I too would love to see a much bigger screen used. However, this would require quite a lot of work. It would require building entirely new vehicles, re-aligning the motion bases. It would require rebuilding the access bridges as they would be to long for a wider vehicle. Too much more wide and you would need to rebuild the vehicle bays even to accommodate the motion of the wider vehicles.

It would be awesome, but I don't think it will happen this round of work.
    I feel like if they are going to change it then change it now, even if that means that it will not be ready for May of 2011. Take the time to make a great quality ride!

• Gold Prospector

Also the motion base has an almost unlimited range of motion. So we can have a new cabin and same motion base.
    Howdy folks, please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the train and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses cause this here's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!!!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder1 View Post
    Also the motion base has an almost unlimited range of motion. So we can have a new cabin and same motion base.
    Oh absolutely. The motion base is incredibly simple and versatile. Which is largely why it has never needed to be updated for anyone, anywhere. The issue with a new cabin to support a wider screen would be having to widen the vehicle. This would mean needing to redo the access bridges and if the vehicle is now wider, clearances on the sides as it tips left/right would have to be checked again. They are dealing with the physical constraints of an already existing room. They probably don't want to have to rebuild the whole bay where the vehicle sits so there's only so much they can do within that constraint.

Personally I would love to see a screen maybe 1.5x as wide and another 25% again as tall. The taller screen wouldn't be much a problem, it's just the wide that you have to be careful about. But even there they have some room to play. Heck, adding some width to the screen would even mean you might get an additional 1 or 2 people per row in. Higher capacity. Adding just 1 seat per row comes out to 5 people per vehicle per ride cycle which is 20 across all 4 vehicles. Adds up pretty quickly.

I think they should have just change the programs and give the ride a little facelift, I mean why fix it if aint broke?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Vamped View Post
    I think they should have just change the programs and give the ride a little facelift, I mean why fix it if aint broke?
    Up until they announced the closing the wait time for the ride was a constant 10 minutes for a while now that may say it was a little broke! If it was a 40 minute plus wait time like it was through the 90's then this argument would work!

• ohai

Up until they announced the closing the wait time for the ride was a constant 10 minutes for a while now that may say it was a little broke! If it was a 40 minute plus wait time like it was through the 90's then this argument would work!
    All rides are busy right when they open. Look at Haunted Mansion, no line anymore.

• Yeah.....

I feel like if they are going to change it then change it now, even if that means that it will not be ready for May of 2011. Take the time to make a great quality ride!
    But.......an extended refurb period doesn't sell new pins and vinylmations.

So if you want to talk about possible expansions without having to change the vehicle here are some thoughts.

You want to impress me? Deploy a 3D technology that does NOT require glasses. Been there done that many times over and the "thrill" is gone...

For screens how about we add some flat panels on the ceiling and doors and blend them in to make them look like windows?

Combine these two concepts and imagine how immersed you would feel in there!

I won't get my hopes up but that would make this an amazing refurb that would set a whole new bar in motion simulator rides.

• I don't know him!

For me, Disney set the bar for motion simulators with Soarin'. None of the 3d movies at the resort really grab me (no pun intended) and I have no reason to think this revamped ride will be different to those. I think the whole ride system needs an overhaul to make this as revolutionary as the original was when it opened.

I say they remove the tops of the ships and add a huge projection dome over each vehicle and turn it into a real 180 3d motion simulator experience to blow Kong out of the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast