Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Mini-Golf at the Disneyland Resort?

Aladdin, Thank you so much for the photo. I have never seen a photo of this before. I tell others stories of the property before Disneyland, and the early days but am often not believed. The first hole is in the far left corner. I bought a ball retreiver from my allowance to get balls from the water hazard. I could not always afford to buy new balls to replace the ones I lost in the water and would go home with 10-20 more golf balls than I started with.

Most of the time people think I'm nuts when I tell them about the Helicopter rides, playing golf at the Hotel, and the Abbot & Costello movie filmed there.
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 07-27-2010 at 11:32 AM.

• Blew By You

I do like the mini golf idea. However, I still have trouble in seeing Disneyland as a "resort", like WDW. It's because Disneyland was a 15 minute drive for us (a few more minutes when traffic was heavy). So every visit was a day trip. And the efforts to transform Disneyland into a resort have been laughable at best. It seems that Disney's answer about resort building is to build more parking lots then charge a hefty admission price for parking your car.
    So a mini golf course is a great idea, a small step towards a resort.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

My family played miniature golf on the hotel course a few times but it was more expensive that others in the area, so we went to the cheaper ones. Good memories, though.

On the heilcopter: I never rode on it myself, but my dad did. Lucky guy. But, it followed the 5 freeway and went over our house. I don't know how many times we kids looked up, saw it, and waved like crazy. "Disneyland helicopter! Disneyland helicopter!" It was always "an event" even though it went overhead several times a day LOL.
    Last edited by Dopey's Girl; 07-27-2010 at 11:40 AM.

• Minion

Thanks, that is so cool to see all that. It reminds me of all the quaint little miniature golf courses of the 1960s and 1970s. Every city had at least one. They were small independent businesses and most courses had a theme of some kind. We often went to Holo Wai Miniature Golf, on Glassell Street in Orange as it was the closest one. It had a Hawaiian theme and there are a few pictures of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkanouse/214880335/ It was right next to Holy Family Church and the course record for lowest score was held by Father Gara from the church. Those were fun places to go. Now it seems like miniature golf is just the big corporate places that have a lot of other stuff besides golf.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post

That's amazing, I never knew there was such an extensive golf course at the Disneyland Hotel - or any actual golf course, for that matter. It's amazing how many amenities the DLH used to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I do like the mini golf idea. However, I still have trouble in seeing Disneyland as a "resort", like WDW. It's because Disneyland was a 15 minute drive for us (a few more minutes when traffic was heavy). So every visit was a day trip. And the efforts to transform Disneyland into a resort have been laughable at best. It seems that Disney's answer about resort building is to build more parking lots then charge a hefty admission price for parking your car.
    So a mini golf course is a great idea, a small step towards a resort.
    I think a lot of the more local-types feel this way, and that's understandable, considering that some of Disney's attempts to turn the property into a resort have been, uh, lackluster. But when my family flies out to Disneyland all the way from Indiana, we probably act as the exact kind of resort guests Disney was targeting in 2001 with the resort expansion. We stay at one of the Disney hotels (we've stayed at all of them by now), eat at the hotels or Downtown Disney, and for the most part just spend our days at the parks, or the hotel grounds and pools. But we do often find ourselves wishing there was a little more to do on-site, and in the past we've gone off-property to see things like Hollywood or Griffith Park. Just a few more on-property offerings like mini-golf (or as I said earlier, bumper boats, etc.) might encourage us to stay longer.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

When the court area of the DL Hotel had the marina theme, they had paddle boats, too. Plus it really did have different shopping areas with multi level shops, alongs with bars and restaurants, and an olympic size swimming pool, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12