Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• All-American

Lightbulb Mini-Golf at the Disneyland Resort?

I was thinking the other day about how the Disneyland Resort could become much of an actual, well, resort. A few people have joked on here about how Disneyland bills itself as a resort when a true resort offers golf, and I was thinking... why couldn't Disneyland? Albeit golf on a miniature scale.

Back in the day, the Disneyland Hotel had its own mini-golf course themed to Disneyland attractions (it had a driving range as well, which is another possibility). I found this old thread with some pictures of it, if you're interested. These courses were apparently demolished sometime between the 1960s and the resort expansion in 2001.

But that was then, this is now. If Disneyland were to build a mini-golf course today, I would expect it to be themed in full Disney fashion. WDW has two beautifully themed miniature golf courses on its property, Fantasia Gardens and Winter Summerland, which Geomorph kindly photographed in two threads of his own (thanks Geomorph ).

Fantasia Gardens:

Winter Summerland:

With Fantasia and a clash of the seasons already taken as themes, Disneyland's golf course would have to find a new theme. I'm thinking maybe pirate-themed, western- or California-themed (as a thematic extension of DCA/GCH), or maybe even Tiki-themed with volcanoes and such (as an extension of the Disneyland Hotel).

As for where to put it, there's that nice parking lot behind the Paradise Pier Hotel which could be replaced by a parking structure, or even the Grand Californian parking lot which could be dealt with the same way. Some other ideas Disneyland might consider if they wanted to add small attractions to the Resort might be some bumper boats, some tennis courts, a Buzz Lightyear-themed laser tag, or a bowling alley. Or that driving range mentioned earlier. The idea is that the more activities there are offered on-property, the less reasons people have to leave it, and the longer they'll stay at Disneyland.

So what do you think? Would mini-golf be an activity you'd like to see at Disneyland?
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 07-26-2010 at 11:45 AM.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Re: Mini-Golf at the Disneyland Resort?

Wow, I do not remember those pictures! We used to love to go to the golf course when we weren't at the Park. I remember the Matterhorn as being part of the actual course. You had to hit the ball into one of the different holes in the mountain and that would determine where it came out on the lower course. (We used to cheat and toss the ball into the different holes to see which one we should shoot for! lol)

That was a great golf course!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Functional & Decorative

There used to be an independently run mini-golf course literally across from Disneyland for years. It wasn't Disney owned, but seemed no better or worse than any other typical course, I played it a couple of times. It's a parking lot now.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Mini Golf would be awesome........

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    There used to be an independently run mini-golf course literally across from Disneyland for years. It wasn't Disney owned, but seemed no better or worse than any other typical course, I played it a couple of times. It's a parking lot now.
    I remember this place.....it was a nice treat we would usually do on a travel day, you know, one of those days you were going to go someplace else other then Disneyland but got back from too late to waste an admission ticket into the park but too early to just do nothing but swim and watch TV.......I kinda miss travel days, now with multi-day passes one hardly does anything more than Disneyland/DCA.......
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• sleepy lagoon

I love minature golf!! It would be awesome to have a new Disney one at DLR... I didn't even know one used to exist!! Thanks for the links to the pics...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I hate to sound like a Disney bean counter, but the land is limited here in Orange County. I bet 2 churro carts would make as much a couple of acres used for minature golf.

In the early days The Disneyland Hotel had a real 9 hole golf course. The first hole was only about 90 yards, and had a well groomed fairway that was bowl shaped. I won bets that I could get on the green with a putter and the ball on a tee. The longest hole was about 220 yds with a water hazard. It was next to the helicopter pad that scheduled flights to LAX and burbank airport.
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 07-26-2010 at 03:46 PM.

• ohai

So cool! Wish Disneyland had it! Woo Woo!

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

I think it would be a great addition for one of the hotels, most likely the DL hotel. I wouldn't want it in the parks for it would always be overcrowded.
    I really like the idea of a Disney Mini Golf though.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I was thinking the other day about how the Disneyland Resort could become much of an actual, well, resort. A few people have joked on here about how Disneyland bills itself as a resort when a true resort offers golf, and I was thinking... why couldn't Disneyland? Albeit golf on a miniature scale.

Back in the day, the Disneyland Hotel had its own mini-golf course themed to Disneyland attractions (it had a driving range as well, which is another possibility). I found this old thread with some pictures of it, if you're interested. These courses were apparently demolished sometime between the 1960s and the resort expansion in 2001.

Winter Summerland:

With Fantasia and a clash of the seasons already taken as themes, Disneyland's golf course would have to find a new theme. I'm thinking maybe pirate-themed, western- or California-themed (as a thematic extension of DCA/GCH), or maybe even Tiki-themed with volcanoes and such (as an extension of the Disneyland Hotel).

As for where to put it, there's that nice parking lot behind the Paradise Pier Hotel which could be replaced by a parking structure, or even the Grand Californian parking lot which could be dealt with the same way. Some other ideas Disneyland might consider if they wanted to add small attractions to the Resort might be some bumper boats, some tennis courts, a Buzz Lightyear-themed laser tag, or a bowling alley. Or that driving range mentioned earlier. The idea is that the more activities there are offered on-property, the less reasons people have to leave it, and the longer they'll stay at Disneyland.

So what do you think? Would mini-golf be an activity you'd like to see at Disneyland?

The old thread you mention, is for the mini golf course at WDW, not DL.

I found a great sight that has wonderful info, old photos, arial views of the Disneyland Hotel and has TONS of info on how it has grown and changed over the years. It has a couple pictures of the DLH mini golf course, a score card that details each of the 18 holes. It also has several overhead views of the mini golf course, as well as the surrounding area!

The Original Disneyland Hotel <--- this is a phenomenal site!

It also shows several photos of the marina, that the DL hotel had, the hotel also won awards for its landscapping!

From what I can tell, it looks like the mini golf couse was located approximately where the Mickey and Friends Tram Pick up area circles around.

Does anyone know when exactly the mini golf course closed?

• Minion

Absolutely yes, a mini golf course would be a great addition. And if they still insist on destroying the beautiful waterfalls, they should put it there. A mini golf course would be far superior to just the flat expanse of grass they are proposing.

Well I had an idea a while back about the DLR with 4 theme parks(Disneyland,Disney's CA Adventure,Wescott,and Magic Imagination)a waterpark with AA and indoor effects and showscenes in the slides called Disney's Wild Water Seas,and a 3 story Disney owned mall called Mouseporuim.This would feature floor 1 to dining and shopping(just cant get away from this stuff huh,lol)floor 2 to minature golf which would be indoor and outdoor and be themed to rides and attractions all over the resort,and floor 3 which would be a west coast DisneyQuest.So yes I think Mini-golf at the DLR would be great.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I hate to sound like a Disney bean counter, but the land is limited here in Orange County. I bet 2 churro carts would make as much a couple of acres used for minature golf.
    That's true - but the massive parking lots aren't exactly an efficient use of resources either. I think a mini-golf course might be more useful to promote as an "amenity" or activity (although admittedly a paid one) to the resort hotels and a means of keeping people on-property, rather than as a separately-ticketed gate in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    In the early days The Disneyland Hotel had a real 9 hole golf course. The first hole was only about 90 yards, and had a well groomed fairway that was bowl shaped. I won bets that I could get on the green with a putter and the ball on a tee. The longest hole was about 220 yds with a water hazard. It was next to the helicopter pad that scheduled flights to LAX and burbank airport.
    That's amazing! I had no idea that Disneyland ever had a golf presence beside the driving range and mini-golf course. Shame they don't have that kind of land these days.

And, oh man, the idea of arriving from LAX to Disneyland by helicopter sounds amazing. What a way to arrive in style.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyTrains View Post
    I think it would be a great addition for one of the hotels, most likely the DL hotel. I wouldn't want it in the parks for it would always be overcrowded.
    I really like the idea of a Disney Mini Golf though.
    No, I agree that using the park's valuable expansion space for a mini-golf course would be a bad idea. I think it'd be more appropriate for the hotels or Downtown Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland4Eva View Post
    Well I had an idea a while back about the DLR with 4 theme parks(Disneyland,Disney's CA Adventure,Wescott,and Magic Imagination)a waterpark with AA and indoor effects and showscenes in the slides called Disney's Wild Water Seas,and a 3 story Disney owned mall called Mouseporuim.This would feature floor 1 to dining and shopping(just cant get away from this stuff huh,lol)floor 2 to minature golf which would be indoor and outdoor and be themed to rides and attractions all over the resort,and floor 3 which would be a west coast DisneyQuest.So yes I think Mini-golf at the DLR would be great.
    Very ambitious! That certainly would be a resort worth staying on-property for.

P.S. Thanks for the link Aladdin! I love that website.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Here are a couple of pictures:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast