Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: Is DCA Less Charming due to lack of Water based attractions and Lack of Landscapi

RegionsBeyond has a great point. The bay is pretty static. Surface waves due to wind aren't that great. I like the idea of having boats around the perimeter. Maybe a little dinghy here or there. A sail boat with the sails furled. Rocking on the waves. An animatronic sitting on the back of one fishing. A buoy bobbing over by the Screamin' tunnel. There are lots of little things that could be put in around the edges to bring the bay to life and make it feel more and more like a bay and pier.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Re: Is DCA Less Charming due to lack of Water based attractions and Lack of Landscapi

Even adding a small island in the middle of the bay would have helped the water feel more inviting. Not possible now with WOC.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Silly Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    RegionsBeyond has a great point. The bay is pretty static. Surface waves due to wind aren't that great. I like the idea of having boats around the perimeter. Maybe a little dinghy here or there. A sail boat with the sails furled. Rocking on the waves. An animatronic sitting on the back of one fishing. A buoy bobbing over by the Screamin' tunnel. There are lots of little things that could be put in around the edges to bring the bay to life and make it feel more and more like a bay and pier.
    Excellent ideas. This all seems so simple, too. How did WDI miss the ball on this one?

And, I'd like to agree with Princess Victoria on her point that the wider walkways and flow-thrus are a function of theme park design post-DL. You'll find that Magic Kingdoms everywhere but California are fitted with these wider paths, and if DLP is any indicator of success, I would recommend that in time we'll agree they are well suited to the function of the park.

RE: Radiator Springs desert- no vegetation a problem? Answer: Not if they DO IT RIGHT... this time.
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

• Progressive Disneylander

I don't see the lack of water being a problem, but the lack of vegatation/trees is a problem. The paths are just too open and bright. There just seems to be no escape from the sun in much of the park. It also just makes some areas seem a little too bare. Also, trees just have a charm about them that gives a theme park a 'warm' feeling to it. I have always been a fan of DCA, but the lack of tall, covering trees has always been an issue for me.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I've thought for a while that if they want to make Paradise Pier a tribute to the California seaside parks that started with a beach and had amusements added (Santa Cruz, Pacific Ocean Park, San Francisco's Playland At The Beach) they should make a little beach, inaccesible to guests, with scenes like vintage towels, umbrellas, a picnic basket or two along the water, as well as some boats dotted here or there in other areas,a buoy like you mention, maybe even some animatronic sea lions tucked back in one corner under the dock on a floating platform. All stuff that seems like a no-brainer to us, but the DCA designers really missed the boat at making areas seem "lived in" mostly with exceptions like GRR somewhat....

• I'm not really here

That term "lived in" is a good way of stating how I see the term "story." It means the history of a place. DCA looked pristine, like it just popped up one day brand new. Making it lived in will help a lot. The weathering on the wood covers for the light boxes for WoC is a prime example of this.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Food for thought, on the opposite side of the spectrum, Tokyo Disney Sea is considered the greatest theme park in the world, and the entire theme park is based around water, with more water based attractions and shows than any other Disney theme park. Obviously water (and landscape, which is also very well thought out in TDS) is a big part of what makes the park so nice, or unwelcoming.

• Lightspeed to Endor!

I think it's also important to realize that DCA is still in it's infant years as a park. Disneyland didn't get it's landscaping to look like it does now overnight. It took 55 years of trees growing to reach the beauty it has now.

• Banned User

At the same time, Disneyland was built 55 years ago. Disney Sea opened with full landscaping.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    More asphalt and parking spaces, less DCA.
    If there's one thing about micechat I can't stand, its reading posts, however rare, saying DCA should be bulldozed and turned back into a parking lot.

You have a right to your opinion, but just know very, very few people in the world agree with you. All DCA's flaws notwithstanding, literally millions of people every year enjoy riding Tower of Terror, Soarin', California Screamin', Midway Mania and Grizzly River Rapids. Millions also enjoy seeing the animation building, Muppets 3D, It's Tough to be a Bug, and World of Color. In coming years millions more will get to enjoy seeing Carsland and riding Radiator Springs Racers and the Journey of the Little Mermaid. Of these millions of visitors that have enjoyed so much over the years in DCA and will continue to do so in the future, almost none would agree with your obnoxious view that it should be returned to a parking lot.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 1313Imagination View Post
    I think it's also important to realize that DCA is still in it's infant years as a park. Disneyland didn't get it's landscaping to look like it does now overnight. It took 55 years of trees growing to reach the beauty it has now.
    In fairness to Disneyland, and in truth to DCA, 10 years after Disneyland's opening the trees and other plantings had really filled in significantly. Not where they are now, but quite lush. Wayyy beyond where DCA is now.

Fact is, there is just no comparison between DCA's landscaping at +10 years, and Disneyland's at +10. Disneyland was designed from the drawing board up around major areas of landscaping, plantings and watercourses, with sightlines foremost in mind. DCA was designed around rides, connected with wide concrete pathways, with very few places for plantings.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I don't think we need to worry too much about Carsland...you can do beautiful and even lush landscaping with desert landscaping...believe me I live in the Mojave Desert where they push water conservative, xerioscaping. The concept art and models for Carsland show lot's of nice vegetation. Just like the movie, you can incorporate nice big tree's and great landscaping. Pine trees and junipers grow all over the red rocks in the Southwest providing great green color. Cottonwoods, oaks, sycamores, among other deciduous trees, grow around streams and rivers in the desert(even the dry ones). Sage brush, creosote, palo verde, agave, joshua trees, mesquite, desert willow, and etc...are also all examples of beautiful desert trees and shrubs. Believe me, beautiful and non barren landscaping is very possible in desert environments.

As for BVS, I really hope we see lot's of trees and plants that scream old LA. Eucalyptus, pepper trees, jacaranda, ficus, and of course palm trees.

• Blew By You

Eisner hated trees, water, and theming.
    Eisner loved concrete.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    If there's one thing about micechat I can't stand, its reading posts, however rare, saying DCA should be bulldozed and turned back into a parking lot.

You have a right to your opinion, but just know very, very few people in the world agree with you. All DCA's flaws notwithstanding, literally millions of people every year enjoy riding Tower of Terror, Soarin', California Screamin', Midway Mania and Grizzly River Rapids. Millions also enjoy seeing the animation building, Muppets 3D, It's Tough to be a Bug, and World of Color. In coming years millions more will get to enjoy seeing Carsland and riding Radiator Springs Racers and the Journey of the Little Mermaid. Of these millions of visitors that have enjoyed so much over the years in DCA and will continue to do so in the future, almost none would agree with your obnoxious view that it should be returned to a parking lot.
    I know more than a very, very few that would agree with me.

Ok there's been a lot of discussion about the lushness of carsland but frankly I don't buy it. All the posts about Eisner's love for concrete? well hate to break it to you but that's going to be carsland. A concrete wonderland the street and the rockwork all cement, and last time I checked? Pretty hard to have lushness growing from cement.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast